Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

College GOLF !


  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 lilmike24

lilmike24

    LEAVE your MARK !

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193038
  • Joined: 07/18/2012
  • Location:North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:lilmike24
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

Ok, I know you've seen it a lot but , I am another junior golfer wondering about college. i am a high 70's player . i have contacted college coaches, and have gotten a few rejections, but also some interest. One wants me to keep in contact, and one invited me for a visit in the fall. My tournament resume is far from impressive this year, because of a struggle with the putter. Still my worst round is 84.  Next year , I'm getting into AJGA , and a few more bigger tournaments and leagues.And since I'm a rising junior i still have two more years to improve. With all this being said what more can I do to make myself standout ? To get more colleges interested in me ? and when should i expect to start hearing from colleges about golf ?

Nike Vr Tour 9.5* W/ Diamana BB
Nike Covert Performance 15* W/ Stock
Adams Idea Pro 20* Hybrid
Titleist 690 CB W/ DG s300
Nike VR Pro wedges 52-58 W/ DG s400
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 pencilwhipper

pencilwhipper

    Advanced

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178532
  • Joined: 05/02/2012
  • Location:California
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

from what i understand, coaches look for you, not necessarily the other way around.. but it's always good to get your name out there..

#3 Golfer1659

Golfer1659

    Division 1 Retired Golfer

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107534
  • Joined: 05/07/2010
  • Location:Long Island, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

If you aren't winning junior tournaments or placing in the the top 5 consistently then you will not stand out.  Sounds like you have a long way to go with the tournament scene and I would play the AJGA as much as possible and try for the  US Amateur, US open qualifier, different NATIONAL events.  State level highschool golf means less also just for future reference if you are talking to coaches.  Just practice and play as much as possible and it will come over time if you have good natural ability and a good mental game.

#4 lilmike24

lilmike24

    LEAVE your MARK !

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193038
  • Joined: 07/18/2012
  • Location:North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:lilmike24
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:46 PM

View PostGolfer1659, on 22 July 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

If you aren't winning junior tournaments or placing in the the top 5 consistently then you will not stand out.  Sounds like you have a long way to go with the tournament scene and I would play the AJGA as much as possible and try for the  US Amateur, US open qualifier, different NATIONAL events.  State level highschool golf means less also just for future reference if you are talking to coaches.  Just practice and play as much as possible and it will come over time if you have good natural ability and a good mental game.
i mostly played in southeastern events this year, and i was always in or around the top ten .
Nike Vr Tour 9.5* W/ Diamana BB
Nike Covert Performance 15* W/ Stock
Adams Idea Pro 20* Hybrid
Titleist 690 CB W/ DG s300
Nike VR Pro wedges 52-58 W/ DG s400
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C

#5 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
  • Joined: 02/07/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 593

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

If you can crack the top 10 in every AJGA event you enter in the next two years you will get noticed.


#6 Titleistman1010

Titleistman1010

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139939
  • Joined: 09/26/2011
  • Location:California
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Its a great idea to send out a little something to college coaches. It gets them to watch you and you never know.

#7 oneunderbogey

oneunderbogey

    Tour Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126088
  • Joined: 04/06/2011
  • Location:Virginia
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

Contacting coaches is good, keep doing that.  Consider contacting d2/3 schools, but if you keep improving and put up some solid numbers in AJGA you may have a chance to sneak into d1 somewhere.

#8 lilmike24

lilmike24

    LEAVE your MARK !

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193038
  • Joined: 07/18/2012
  • Location:North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:lilmike24
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

Sometimes to crack the top ten, you have to shoot under 73 three days in a row, which right now, i don't see myself doing. But i do think that'll be next year.

I have sent a few things out to d/2 , d/3  schools. And a few, even ranked in the top 25 in the nation have replied and showed genuine interest. But just like almost everyone else, I do wanna make it to the biggest school possible, for better education, more notoriety, and just being able to say i played at whatever big school.
Nike Vr Tour 9.5* W/ Diamana BB
Nike Covert Performance 15* W/ Stock
Adams Idea Pro 20* Hybrid
Titleist 690 CB W/ DG s300
Nike VR Pro wedges 52-58 W/ DG s400
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C

#9 Golfer1659

Golfer1659

    Division 1 Retired Golfer

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107534
  • Joined: 05/07/2010
  • Location:Long Island, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

View Postlilmike24, on 24 July 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

View PostGolfer1659, on 22 July 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

If you aren't winning junior tournaments or placing in the the top 5 consistently then you will not stand out.  Sounds like you have a long way to go with the tournament scene and I would play the AJGA as much as possible and try for the  US Amateur, US open qualifier, different NATIONAL events.  State level highschool golf means less also just for future reference if you are talking to coaches.  Just practice and play as much as possible and it will come over time if you have good natural ability and a good mental game.
i mostly played in southeastern events this year, and i was always in or around the top ten .


Play NATIONAL events, sectional qualifiers for the US Amateur, US Open, AJGA...........the "southern" junior events are good but not nearly as good as national stuff.

#10 Golfer1659

Golfer1659

    Division 1 Retired Golfer

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107534
  • Joined: 05/07/2010
  • Location:Long Island, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

View Postlilmike24, on 24 July 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

Sometimes to crack the top ten, you have to shoot under 73 three days in a row, which right now, i don't see myself doing. But i do think that'll be next year.

I have sent a few things out to d/2 , d/3  schools. And a few, even ranked in the top 25 in the nation have replied and showed genuine interest. But just like almost everyone else, I do wanna make it to the biggest school possible, for better education, more notoriety, and just being able to say i played at whatever big school.

What I will do tonight is a full write up on college golf.  It will give you alot of insight from someone who went through the whole process of playing Division 1.  I will show you examples of resumes and what it requires to play and the "Where, when, why and how" of it all.

Edited by Golfer1659, 25 July 2012 - 10:27 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 bu11dog

bu11dog

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 770 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14240
  • Joined: 04/18/2006
  • Location:Raleigh, NC
  • Ebay ID:buiidog
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

View Postlilmike24, on 21 July 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Ok, I know you've seen it a lot but , I am another junior golfer wondering about college. i am a high 70's player . i have contacted college coaches, and have gotten a few rejections, but also some interest. One wants me to keep in contact, and one invited me for a visit in the fall. My tournament resume is far from impressive this year, because of a struggle with the putter. Still my worst round is 84.  Next year , I'm getting into AJGA , and a few more bigger tournaments and leagues.And since I'm a rising junior i still have two more years to improve. With all this being said what more can I do to make myself standout ? To get more colleges interested in me ? and when should i expect to start hearing from colleges about golf ?

This is a good time to start sending coaches your golf resume outlining your accomplishments both on and off the course (including grades).  One of my coach friends also likes to get swing videos, but don't go through all the trouble of putting on a big production (like music and video effects).  He just wants to see what kind of move you have from various angles.

#12 OptionlessM

OptionlessM

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178878
  • Joined: 05/04/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:43 AM

View PostKILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE, on 24 July 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

If you can crack the top 10 in every AJGA event you enter in the next two years you will get noticed.

This is not necessary.

Just keep improving to where you are winning those SJGT tournaments.  Have a few good finishes in AJGA.  Your good performances far outweigh any bad ones.

#13 NWfan001

NWfan001

    Advanced

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140009
  • Joined: 09/26/2011
  • Location:Fl.
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

1) win few local tournament
2) play ajga with good finishes. Try around even.
3) play and place good on other bigger tournament(jrpga championship tourneys.

Of you have game they will find you as coaches are always at those tournaments
They look at players in junior year so IMHO look at a d3 school.

#14 NWfan001

NWfan001

    Advanced

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140009
  • Joined: 09/26/2011
  • Location:Fl.
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

View Postlilmike24, on 24 July 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

View PostGolfer1659, on 22 July 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

If you aren't winning junior tournaments or placing in the the top 5 consistently then you will not stand out.  Sounds like you have a long way to go with the tournament scene and I would play the AJGA as much as possible and try for the  US Amateur, US open qualifier, different NATIONAL events.  State level highschool golf means less also just for future reference if you are talking to coaches.  Just practice and play as much as possible and it will come over time if you have good natural ability and a good mental game.
i mostly played in southeastern events this year, and i was always in or around the top ten .
If your always in top ten shooting high 70's play way bigger tournaments as they usually shoot 2 under. Rounds around high 60 or around 70's...

#15 4Par

4Par

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125860
  • Joined: 04/03/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

I've said it before and will again..... look at the rosters of the golf teams at the colleges you might be interested in.  Most players have a short bio and tend to include some of their accomplishments before college.... there you will get an indication of what players at that school have done and what the coach is looking for..... If you look at Duke and then look at Cornell you'll see two different backgrounds....

You can find a home.... just pick one that meets your needs and talent level

Edited by 4Par, 30 July 2012 - 02:52 PM.


#16 generaljhc

generaljhc

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93095
  • Joined: 08/28/2009
  • Location:Georgia
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

As for D1 vs D2/D3/NAIA, you will find good golf at all levels. The bottom half of D1 could not compete with the top small college programs. Find a school that meets both your academic interests and matches your golf skills level.

Your Junior year is a big recruiting year. Contacts can be made and coaches, if interested, will start to watch you play. Your Jr spring and summer will go a long way in determining what level you will play. By the end of the 1st semester of your Sr year the decision will most likely be made.

Jr Tours in NC (I think) are: Tar Hill Tour, Carolina Golf Association, and Carolina PGA Jr Tour

Also try to play some AJGA....play in the Carolina/NC Junior Golf Championship, Carolina's Amateur Championsip, Carolinas PGA Jr Championship, Coastal/NC Open, US Jr Am, US AM.

Edited by generaljhc, 04 August 2012 - 09:37 PM.


#17 theLeftyBeast

theLeftyBeast

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129381
  • Joined: 05/24/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

View PostGolfer1659, on 25 July 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

View Postlilmike24, on 24 July 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

View PostGolfer1659, on 22 July 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

If you aren't winning junior tournaments or placing in the the top 5 consistently then you will not stand out.  Sounds like you have a long way to go with the tournament scene and I would play the AJGA as much as possible and try for the  US Amateur, US open qualifier, different NATIONAL events.  State level highschool golf means less also just for future reference if you are talking to coaches.  Just practice and play as much as possible and it will come over time if you have good natural ability and a good mental game.
i mostly played in southeastern events this year, and i was always in or around the top ten .


Play NATIONAL events, sectional qualifiers for the US Amateur, US Open, AJGA...........the "southern" junior events are good but not nearly as good as national stuff.
Play the southern junior amateur if you can qualify. Huge tournament
Titleist 910 D2 w/ Project X 70 X
Ping i15 3w w/stock X
Ping Anser 3-w
Scor 53,59
Odyssey #7 or Odyssey pt82 LE

#18 italianstallion

italianstallion

    Bethpage Black - 8th hole

  • Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246
  • Joined: 04/25/2005

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

View Postlilmike24, on 24 July 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

Sometimes to crack the top ten, you have to shoot under 73 three days in a row, which right now, i don't see myself doing. But i do think that'll be next year.

I have sent a few things out to d/2 , d/3  schools. And a few, even ranked in the top 25 in the nation have replied and showed genuine interest. But just like almost everyone else, I do wanna make it to the biggest school possible, for better education, more notoriety, and just being able to say i played at whatever big school.

Not everything about the 'big schools' is gravy. I suggest you look at education first, and golf secondary. You'd probably be a starter at a D2 or D3 school, but you'd probably get less playing time at a D1 school if you found one.

Disclaimer: I went to a small school, 3500 undergrad. D1 golf team, I didn't play but got a great education.
http://thefairwayreview.weebly.com/

#19 lilmike24

lilmike24

    LEAVE your MARK !

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193038
  • Joined: 07/18/2012
  • Location:North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:lilmike24
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

View Post4Par, on 30 July 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

I've said it before and will again..... look at the rosters of the golf teams at the colleges you might be interested in.  Most players have a short bio and tend to include some of their accomplishments before college.... there you will get an indication of what players at that school have done and what the coach is looking for..... If you look at Duke and then look at Cornell you'll see two different backgrounds....

You can find a home.... just pick one that meets your needs and talent level
Thanks, i recently looked at the d1 school i wanted to go to the most ( for academics ) , and realized I needed to get to work ! All the kids on the team were ranked in the top 20 in the state in their class. I think I may be top 50, definitely top 100, but it doesnt matter if I'm not on the list.
Nike Vr Tour 9.5* W/ Diamana BB
Nike Covert Performance 15* W/ Stock
Adams Idea Pro 20* Hybrid
Titleist 690 CB W/ DG s300
Nike VR Pro wedges 52-58 W/ DG s400
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C

#20 lilmike24

lilmike24

    LEAVE your MARK !

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193038
  • Joined: 07/18/2012
  • Location:North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:lilmike24
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

View Postgeneraljhc, on 04 August 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

As for D1 vs D2/D3/NAIA, you will find good golf at all levels. The bottom half of D1 could not compete with the top small college programs. Find a school that meets both your academic interests and matches your golf skills level.

Your Junior year is a big recruiting year. Contacts can be made and coaches, if interested, will start to watch you play. Your Jr spring and summer will go a long way in determining what level you will play. By the end of the 1st semester of your Sr year the decision will most likely be made.

Jr Tours in NC (I think) are: Tar Hill Tour, Carolina Golf Association, and Carolina PGA Jr Tour

Also try to play some AJGA....play in the Carolina/NC Junior Golf Championship, Carolina's Amateur Championsip, Carolinas PGA Jr Championship, Coastal/NC Open, US Jr Am, US AM.
I've gotten a few bits of interest from d2 and d3 schools.. But i still need to get a lot better. And thanks a lot for the tournament suggestions .

Nike Vr Tour 9.5* W/ Diamana BB
Nike Covert Performance 15* W/ Stock
Adams Idea Pro 20* Hybrid
Titleist 690 CB W/ DG s300
Nike VR Pro wedges 52-58 W/ DG s400
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 mikey96

mikey96

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139886
  • Joined: 09/25/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

Basically what everyone said.  Place top 25 in all your AJGA events and you might get noticed.

#22 lilmike24

lilmike24

    LEAVE your MARK !

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193038
  • Joined: 07/18/2012
  • Location:North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:lilmike24
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

View Postmikey96, on 12 August 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

Basically what everyone said.  Place top 25 in all your AJGA events and you might get noticed.
Thats Ridiculous ! .... but lets see what happens !
Nike Vr Tour 9.5* W/ Diamana BB
Nike Covert Performance 15* W/ Stock
Adams Idea Pro 20* Hybrid
Titleist 690 CB W/ DG s300
Nike VR Pro wedges 52-58 W/ DG s400
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C

#23 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

    Shoot to Thrill, Play to Kill......

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53652
  • Joined: 04/14/2008
  • Location:Austin TX
GolfWRX Likes : 299

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

Lilmike,
You do NOT have to finish in the top of every AJGA or having to crack the top 10 in every event.
You do need to build your resume though. I would look long and hard at developing a schedule for yourself that will give you the most bang for the buck. Not everyone can afford to travel to every AJGA Inv. (us included) but you can play a schedule that is more affordable and get you plenty of exposure. Play in the biggest regional events you can in NC. Suppliment that with entering all four USGA qualifiers you can in your area: Junior Am: Public Links; US Amateur & US Open. These qualifiers are a bargain when compared to some entries into junior regional events. You should also look to find a qualifier into the Junior PGA Championship. One other major event you could qualify for is the Big I National Championship. In nearly every one of these, you can receive a travel stipend AND even stay with a host family which makes it very affordable for you. You also learn to be more mature and learn to travel out from under the wing of your parents which will only benefit you down the road.
If you can, play in some AJGA events, but they are NOT the end all be all of junior golf. There are many other big junior events near you that you can play in. Take a LOT of time and put a lot of thought into developing a schedule for yourself that will help you be successfull. When schedules come out early in Dec or Jan, develop your schedule. If you ever need any help or suggestions, I would be more than happy to help you.
You SHOULD contact coaches at schools you are interested in. I would even suggest a phone call and see if you can talk to them directly. They can not call you back at this stage, but if you do talk to a coach and are able to build a relationship with them, it will only help you. Coaches know everyone has bad days, rounds and tournaments. Like stated above, your good days and tournaments will be noticed more than your poor ones.
Good Luck and Great Playing!

Edited by Deerslayer, 13 August 2012 - 10:03 AM.


#24 4Par

4Par

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125860
  • Joined: 04/03/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

View Postmikey96, on 12 August 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

Basically what everyone said.  Place top 25 in all your AJGA events and you might get noticed.

Not picking on this poster but I can't agree... My son never played in a single AJGA event but is playing Div 1 golf..... He won several section events, participated in State Jr Ams, qualified for several State High school tournaments, and had great grades in school..... He's not playing for a Top 100 college golf team but is involved in college sports and that has been great; to be part of a team, to represent a school he enjoys, to have a respnsibility to maintain good moral/scholastic standards..... and it doesnt matter one bit that it's Div 1, 2, or 3.... it's all really the same..... He doesn't have the expectation of turning pro or need to show anyone that he's "made it" by carrying a college golf bag..... he's comfortable with who he is and where he's at.

So all that said, First identify what your goals are.... if you want to be on the Oklahoma State or UCLA golf teams then by all means play AJGA and you'd better do good..... but if you just want to get a good education and enjoy competing "at the next level" in a game you love, then there are a ton of different avenues that don't involve high cost tournaments and winning State Ams.... and Second, stop looking for a magic formula.... if you can play and your expectations are in line with your talent, you'll find a place to play.

Edited by 4Par, 13 August 2012 - 10:47 AM.


#25 lilmike24

lilmike24

    LEAVE your MARK !

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193038
  • Joined: 07/18/2012
  • Location:North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:lilmike24
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

View PostDeerslayer, on 13 August 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Lilmike,
You do NOT have to finish in the top of every AJGA or having to crack the top 10 in every event.
You do need to build your resume though. I would look long and hard at developing a schedule for yourself that will give you the most bang for the buck. Not everyone can afford to travel to every AJGA Inv. (us included) but you can play a schedule that is more affordable and get you plenty of exposure. Play in the biggest regional events you can in NC. Suppliment that with entering all four USGA qualifiers you can in your area: Junior Am: Public Links; US Amateur & US Open. These qualifiers are a bargain when compared to some entries into junior regional events. You should also look to find a qualifier into the Junior PGA Championship. One other major event you could qualify for is the Big I National Championship. In nearly every one of these, you can receive a travel stipend AND even stay with a host family which makes it very affordable for you. You also learn to be more mature and learn to travel out from under the wing of your parents which will only benefit you down the road.
If you can, play in some AJGA events, but they are NOT the end all be all of junior golf. There are many other big junior events near you that you can play in. Take a LOT of time and put a lot of thought into developing a schedule for yourself that will help you be successfull. When schedules come out early in Dec or Jan, develop your schedule. If you ever need any help or suggestions, I would be more than happy to help you.
You SHOULD contact coaches at schools you are interested in. I would even suggest a phone call and see if you can talk to them directly. They can not call you back at this stage, but if you do talk to a coach and are able to build a relationship with them, it will only help you. Coaches know everyone has bad days, rounds and tournaments. Like stated above, your good days and tournaments will be noticed more than your poor ones.
Good Luck and Great Playing!
Thank you very much sir . I had known about the Big I, and the junior PGA , but i didnt know the other qualifiers were also a bargain . Thanks, look for me ! ;) lol

Nike Vr Tour 9.5* W/ Diamana BB
Nike Covert Performance 15* W/ Stock
Adams Idea Pro 20* Hybrid
Titleist 690 CB W/ DG s300
Nike VR Pro wedges 52-58 W/ DG s400
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C

#26 generaljhc

generaljhc

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93095
  • Joined: 08/28/2009
  • Location:Georgia
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Other big events: Bubba Conley, Future Masters, Jr Heritage....but I suggest sticking with state jr tour(s),state jr championship, charlotte open, state am, state open. Play well in those and play well. Then worry about big free standing junior tournaments. If you score and finish well in those that I have listed, you will attract college coaches...you should also be sending out resume's and contacting coaches this school year.

Edited by generaljhc, 25 August 2012 - 10:56 AM.


#27 stAte Golfer

stAte Golfer

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189388
  • Joined: 06/28/2012
  • Location:Dexter
  • Ebay ID:golfkyle0
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

Listen, I've played D1 college golf.  I placed top 4 individually in 3A state 3 of my 4 years of high school and team won a state championship my senior year.  I broke my wrist playing HS basketball and played only 4 other golf tournaments my last 2 years of HS because of surgeries and won 2 of those.  I'm not saying this to brag, I'm saying this because after all this I only got offered 2 golf scholarships!  One of these was a D1 school and the other was a junior college.  I ended up going to a different D1 school and walking on and made half the trips.
I know a lot more now than I knew then though!  Here's the best advice I can give you.  Coaches look at the AJGA events so it's very important to enter them.  You don't have to win, just compete and get better physically and MENTALLY.  Talk to D1 & D2 schools.  I have a friend that here in my home town that is playing at a D3 school this year after just graduating HS and he was big in football and wrestling but played A LOT of golf the last 2 years and went to a school hoping to play football but wasn't big enough so they gave him a scholarship to golf.  
Most people say putting is where everyone needs to improve.  That is very important but after playing college golf I have to say the DRIVER is the main club in the bag.  You HAVE to keep it in play off the tee to have a chance to score!!  Also, where to tee the ball up is VERY important on each tee box depending where the trouble is on that particular hole.  If trouble is left then tee up left and aim right side of fairway to creat a better ANGLE.  This way you miss a little left you may not get into trouble where as if you teed up right side and miss the same amount left it may be in the trouble.
I may be saying things you know, but if you get anything out of this CONFIDENCE, MENTAL TOUGHNESS, and BEING A COACHABLE HARD WORKER are of upmost importance!!
Hope this helps...




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors