Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Peter Broadbent handmade drivers

40 replies to this topic

#1 dave19790

dave19790

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193550
  • Ebay ID:broadbed
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:41 AM

Hey all.

Does anyone own or know anyone who owns a Peter Broadbent handmade driver. I'm looking to get my hands on one

Thanks

Dave

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132346
  • Handicap:13.0
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

Hi Dave

Suggest to set up a search on eBay - you don't see many but there have been a couple in the last year or so.

Here's a set of 1,3,5 with Boron Graphite shafts that I bought earlier this year for £26.00 and £12.50 postage, which were in excellent refinished condition ("keepers" I'm afraid!).

The clubs look very solid (haven't hit them yet) and have a nice tight U-grain. The stamps on the bottom say E36 (driver) and E53 and E54 for the fairway woods, and each also has the initials JH on them, which I assume to be the original owner.

I'd be interested in any info on Peter Broadbent; I assume all his work was custom ?

Peter Broadbent Montage.jpg
'Tis the hickory season ...
Geo Duncan Driver, Brassie
W.Jeffery Bulldog; Tom Stewart irons:
Driving Mashie, Mashie Iron, Jigger
Mashie, Lofter, Spade Mashie, M.Niblick
Niblick, Nicoll Howitzer, Eskit putter

#3 dave19790

dave19790

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:45 AM

hi blade

peter broadbent was actually my father. he passed away about a year ago.
my family and I have been trying to get our hands on some of his clubs as not many were left

he was basically a club pro (who played on the tour for a bit) who turned his attention to making custom clubs for people and did a lot of work for tours pros.
i spent my early childhood going to tour events with him and my brother where he had a workshop and would sell clubs.
he stop making them in the early to mid 90s so hence there hard to find

if you ever wanted to sell them pls let me know?
the nos relate to the year they were made- he started at A - i can try and find out what year E is if you like?
the nos are just the order in which they were made. so E1 was first that year , E2 second etc.

i know he took a lot of pride in every club he made and he'd be glad your enjoying them.

#4 nacho

nacho

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185164
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

Wow

#5 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

Button Yardage Book Covers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 715

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

What a great thread. Welcome to the forums. Hope you find some pristine examples of your Dad's work.

#6 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Sorry to hear about your dad's passing dave19790 - I'll keep eyes/ears open for examples of your dad's work, and if I ever decide to part with this set you can have first refusal! It's a beautiful set of woods for sure.

I bought them as I was interested to start collecting examples of persimmon clubs from British clubmakers (I have a Paul Gibson driver, Harry Busson 1,3,5 woods plus your dad's set and missed out on a Harold Beck driver last year - that's as far as my knowledge of British clubmakers goes so far ...)

Very interesting about the serial numbering - would love to know what year E is, and any other info would also be great. I'd also love to read about some of your early memories and experiences around the tour.

There is not much info on the net about Peter Broadbent clubs so perhaps this thread should serve as the reference material for posterity! It already shows up #1 on google for "Peter Broadbent persimmon".

Welcome to the board!

#7 dave19790

dave19790

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

hey guys- many thanks for the replies.

i have memories of travelling to st andrews in 90 and birkdale in 91 for the opens with my dad and brother.
the belfrey and sunningdale also stand out.
i was very young though- born in 1979.
i remember seeing my dad chatting to woosnam, faldo, sandy lyle. meeting pretty much everyone on the tour. he regripped, shafted a lot of their clubs whilst they were on tour i believe as he was always looking tat their putters and things.
i remember gary player was always friendly to us as young kids. most years we went to a pro am at st pierre golf club. it was about the only tournament i was interested in as kenny dalglish always played in it and he was my hero so i got to meet him a few times.
apart from that not many memories as i wasnt really into golf as a young lad. i took it up 2 years ago when i got into my 30s.
when he died we found various  memobilia hed collected, pictures with tour players etc - a signed picture from seve to my dad is probably the highlight.

my dad played in the 1970 open at st andrews and missed the cut im told. but ive never been able to find any info on this other than what he and my mother told me.

in reference to his clubs. he had a workshop in melksham in wiltshire in the early 80s before we moved back to south wales in about 1986 ish.
by this time hed stopped playing golf altogether and i only occasionally saw him hit a ball at the range when hed teach my brother or try and inspire me without success.
he started as a junior club pro at whitchurch golf club in cardiff before moving to london and working at langley park and crowborough in the sussex area i believe.
by about 1993 ish hed stopped pretty much all together making clubs. he made a couple of hundred every year from memory.
back in those days he kept records of who bought each club, the shaft, grip, type of keyhole insert and details of each customer. he had them in folders in his home office but im not sure where they all went.

i moved to sydney , australia in 2001 so have no idea what happened to everything. he left a few bits and pieces which we have.
but im trying to find as much info as possible and get my hands on a few of his clubs.
my brother got one about a year ago on ebay and weve been looking ever since occasionally.

if anyone has a club or remembers meeting him id always be keen to hear about it.

#8 dave19790

dave19790

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

guys page 76 of the below magazine has an article on peter broadbent.
he had a passion for jazz music and after retiring from golf spend the next 10 yrs until he died or so following his other passion of music.
publishing a couple of books as per the article.
my brother, sister and I have the first 3 copies of each book he worte.

http://issuu.com/gol...docs/gi69-music

#9 guisician

guisician

basement space taker-upper

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 160425
  • Handicap:17.4
  • Ebay ID:guisician61
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

View Postdave19790, on 23 July 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

guys page 76 of the below magazine has an article on peter broadbent.
he had a passion for jazz music and after retiring from golf spend the next 10 yrs until he died or so following his other passion of music.
publishing a couple of books as per the article.
my brother, sister and I have the first 3 copies of each book he worte.

http://issuu.com/gol...docs/gi69-music

dave19790,

Thanks for the link. As a musician & golf nut, can't wait to read about your father's other passion. And best of luck in your club search; he certainly made some beauties, as Blade Junkie's pics attest.

- guisician
AG Spalding Maltese Cross driver
BuchtartNicholls brassie, no-name spoon
Mills aluminium cleek, Stewart mid-iron
Gibson mashie, Nicoll spade mashie
T Morris mashie niblick, Stewart niblick
Gibson Skoogee, Spalding HB putter

#10 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Dave-

Welcome.

Do you have any recollections as to why your dad picked the "keyhole" insert pattern?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 dave19790

dave19790

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

thx rex-
no idea unfortunately. i was v young- just remember going to his workshop all the time and being told not to throw grips and shafts about...
i do remember the keyhole was one of his favourites and i think most asked for though.
it was kind of his signature insert i believe
i have vague recollections of the keyhole being something he used as a logo for himself at various times,

sorry im not realy much help i know. as i said unfortunately i didnt pay a great deal to golf when i was younger.
shame as now im a golf tragic...

#12 persimmonpal

persimmonpal

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78139
  • Ebay ID:persimmonpal
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Blade Junkie Hook the Man up! I for one think it would be a great gesture to return the clubs to the Family. (I recently tracked down the Grandson of Henry Bolesta, a club Pro at Palma Ciea in the 1950's.. I had bought an eBay auction of old clubs in a bag, and the bag turned out was Henry's personal gamer.. painted on the side and everything.
I am not telling you what to do Blade Junkie, but I can honestly tell you I got much more enjoyment and satisfaction being able to get that bag to his Grandson, (And Henry's wife), who is in her 90s, much more than  I ever would have if I had kept the bag.
I even paid to ship it down to Virginia.
Again, not telling you what to do, just some food for thought.
If you decide to sell I will put my money where my mouth is and pay it forward.. I will refinish a club for you free of charge, including return shipping!. How bout it??? :wave:

#13 freddiec

freddiec

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2258
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

+1 on Persimmonpal's recommendation, but I know how much Blade loves his stuff. Just saying.

#14 Maxwell

Maxwell

Max

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99037
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Dave19790 - Your father made some nice looking persimmon woods. The grain pattern flows uniformly from the centre of the toe back. Nice deep face and a nice stain colour. I have been restoring and collecting for 5 years and have never seen one of your fathers clubs before. Will make an effort to contact you IF I ever come accross any of your fathers clubs. Played on the mens tour eh? He must have been an exceptional golfer too!
Max & Donna
Canada
Maxwell1956@cogeco.ca

#15 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hi Dave sent you this as a PM on 26th July, but it hasn't been opened yet, so maybe you didn't get it for some reason ?

So I reproduce it again here - please let me know what you want to do with this either way:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOUND ONE!

Hi Dave

Well, despite the urgings of the board I'm afraid I do want to keep my set of your dad's clubs! However, I have been trawling the internet on your behalf and have found a link to an old eBay listing from March 2012 on about page 30 of google.

VINTAGE HAND MADE 'PETER BROADBENT' DRIVER
PERSIMMON HEAD
ALDILA HM40 SHAFT
REGISTERED No. F231
ROYAL CHORD GRIP
THIS CLUB IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION
UNIQUE HAND MADE PERSIMMON DRIVER. COST OVER £300 WHEN NEW.
ANY INSPECTION WELCOME.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...cvip=true&rt=nc

I have been in contact with the seller, and it didn't sell, and is still available. He says it dates from 1988 and he is looking for £150 but I reckon you might be able to knock him down a bit.

He has recently had it sent away to Scotland for "valuation" and apparently this £150 is the 'mid price'.  Pics will be available via email in about a week or so (when he gets the club back)

Send me your email address and I will forward you the email exchange and I'll duck out of the loop!

Hope you can come to a good agreement with him.

Best regards

Blade Junkie

#16 persimmonpal

persimmonpal

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78139
  • Ebay ID:persimmonpal
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

NIce work Blade Junkie!

#17 rtv

rtv

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114561

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:17 AM

Broadbent driver sighted on ebay http://www.ebay.com/...&#ht_500wt_1070

#18 dave19790

dave19790

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

gents apologies have been off the radar for few weeks.
thanks rtv ill check the link out-
blade thanks as well great work if u can message me the guys contact details ill get onto it..

thx guys for all the help

dave

#19 dave19790

dave19790

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

guys
the guys selling it is in the US. wont ship to australia.
anyone in US want to help me out and buy it and ill pay you for club and shipping?

#20 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Be glad to take care of this for you. Send me a PM with your address.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

View Postrtv, on 14 August 2012 - 12:17 AM, said:

Broadbent driver sighted on ebay http://www.ebay.com/...&#ht_500wt_1070

Love the description:

This golf driver shows Peter Broadbent name on bottom of club.  Believed to be a Cadet Footballer (socker) player in the 50's.  This is the only golf club that I have ever seen with his name

Basically he has googled "Peter Broadbent" and come up with the Wolves footballer from the 1950s lol.

@dave - welcome back! Please check your messages on here - I have sent you the sellers email address and phone number!

Good luck, and hope you win the US eBay bid as well !

#22 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hope you won that one Dave - went for $39.50 ... Good price!

#23 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostBlade Junkie, on 19 August 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

I was sucessful in winning the auction for Dave, glad to help!

#24 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostKILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE, on 19 August 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

View PostBlade Junkie, on 19 August 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

I was sucessful in winning the auction for Dave, glad to help!

Bravo !!!

#25 Rays Clubs

Rays Clubs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204243
  • Ebay ID:rdj4846
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

I have a Peter Broadbent driver which I purchased about 5 years ago through Ebay. It is marked Peter Broadbent with A1 above his name. This driver is in as new condition and it looks as if it has never struck a golf ball.

I am a collector of Classic Persimmon clubs and I would be reluctant to part with this beauty.

I would be interested to know its value

#26 Rays Clubs

Rays Clubs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

Further to my earlier post the Peter Broadbent driver I have is stamped PETER BROADBENT with A1 above. I is fitted with a steel True Temper Dynamic R shaft and an Avon Nexus grip. It came in its own black Club Guard case. The club is in excellent condition and I suspect it has never struck a golf ball since manufacture.

I will take some photos and post here later.

#27 Rays Clubs

Rays Clubs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

Hi, As promised please find below several photographs of this Peter Broadbent Driver marked A1

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC04604.JPG
  • DSC04594.JPG
  • DSC04591.JPG

#28 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:34 AM

Fabulous stuff Ray! From what Dave Broadbent said in post #3 above, then your "A1" could be the first club Peter ever made/sold !

#29 MoaningM

MoaningM

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:46 AM

great 'thread gents can't believe I have missed out on this one.

I like "socker" player Peter broadbent. :)

#30 dave19790

dave19790

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

gents

how are we all.

sorry been off the forums for a while
yes i would be 99% certain that A1 is the first one my dad ever made.

it would have been made about 1984 i believe. and this one looks pristine.
i believe whoever bought it originally probably knew it was the first one and never hit it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors