Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How does it cost $65 to reshaft a 3 wood??

56 replies to this topic

#31 kakashi54

kakashi54

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135802
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:13 AM

I pay nothing my club pro would do one club for me for free. if I was to get a set done he might charge me 15 bucks

Callaway Xhot ahina 60x
Cleveland Hibore XLS red board 83X
Taylormade Rescue mid vista pro 90S
Mizuno MP 52 3-9 S300
Odyssey SabreTooth
Cleveland 588 48 54 60

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 873

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

View Postvinny809, on 20 July 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

View PostHAWKEYE77, on 20 July 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

View Postvinny809, on 20 July 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

Here's the situation.  I'm just visiting my current location in the summer and had no idea where to take my clubs for reshafting. I wanted to support local businesses so I looked for a place that was not a big chain store.  Plus I thought they would do better work there.  

I just purchased a 3 wood head and simply wanted to swap the shaft that was already in my current 3 wood.  Simple as that.  He quoted $65!!! Are you kidding me?? I have never seen such ridiculous prices in my life.  I told him my local guy does it for $15 a club.  He seemed surprised.  However Golf By Design another place in town does reshafting for $15.  He argued that because he had to take the shaft out of my current wood and prep it to be put back into my new head it would cost more because there is more work. IMO that is BS.  You would have to take out an "old" shaft on typical orders.  In my case, you are simply taking out a shaft and reshafting it into a new head.  Same amount of work.  Or close.  In any case, taking out a shaft does not take much work at all.

Get this, I was quoted $35 to do less work than what he quoted me for $65.  For my hybrid, I wanted him to remove the current shaft, and swap it with another shaft that was current in my G15.  (Changing to I15 hybrids).  After pressing the subject with with him numerous times, while he was trying to change the subject and try to get me to pay $100 for reshaft two clubs, he brought it down to $35 per club.   Which I still think is ridiculous, however since I drove 40 minutes to this place I decided to proceed with the reshafting.  I'm used to paying $15 with my local clubmaker.  Lesson is to call for a quote before making a 40 minute drive.  I was expecting to pay competitive prices for a reshaft, but not $65 for one single club with shafts already provided.  I can't wait for the day I have my own workbench and do club building work myself!  Sheesh.

If majority of the people here think this is unfair, I will write a review for this business on Google/Yelp or something.  If not, I'll refrain.

Thanks.

You had options, you paid voluntarily, it was therefore a fair price and you look immature and cheap whining about it.

The guy can charge what he wants to charge, nothing "unfair" about it.

Unfair may have been the wrong word.  Its more like ridiculous.  I did not pay $65 so no, I paid for what I thought was borderline fair but grudgingly paid for it due to opportunity cost related to going elsewhere.  Which I have explained, lesson learned to call before hand.  If you think i'm cheap because i'm unwilling to pay $65 for a reshaft, then honestly don't really care.  Maybe you're too "good" for the rest of us.

Now back to the topic at hand.   When everyone pays $20 on average for a reshaft, prestigious golf courses offer reshafting at normal costs, and  the most expensive is around $45 in Korea it raises red flags.  Top it off the person I was dealing with was wishy-washy about explaining why it was more expensive to reshaft my head-only wood.  I asked him explicitly to explain again "Why it costed more to reshaft my head only wood."  He was not confused about which item I was talking about since it was written on the receipt in detail.  He did not explain CPM measuring or puring.  Just that there was more   work involved with pulling the shaft out of the woods than hybrid. It doesn't even make sense because there is more work dissembling two hybrids.   It seemed to me he was trying to pull a quick one the way he didn't really want to answer my question and kept trying to change the subject.  Perhaps it was because I told him I was from out of town.  Who knows.

Again, you paid, nobody held a gun to your head.

Sometimes people base their charges on who they are dealing with. I could see from all the arguing were doing, why you might get the unpleasant customer surcharge.

May just be as simple as that's what he can charge, and has to charge, to make it worth his while because of local supply/demand conditions you are ignoring.

Korea has nothing to do with it. And this idea that you're some great supporter of "local" business by driving 40 miles without calling ahead is a little bizarre.

Edited by HAWKEYE77, 21 July 2012 - 06:09 AM.

#33 chiguy

chiguy

CALLAWRX2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125729
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

He over charged you period.
I mean, I like golf balls
but not that much.

#34 PGAPankey

PGAPankey

PGA Professional

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56059
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

Regardless of whether you think the word "unfair" is a misnomer or what you think the value of a good club maker is $60 is significantly higher than market price. As others have said extra work like pureing or tip weighting would raise the price but not to that level. For a competent club maker to pull a shaft and reinstall in another head I would expect to pay $20-$25 here in South Florida.
Titleist 910D3 8.5* - Matrix F6M2 Std
906F4 - Matrix Matte Blue Altus
910H 17* - Matrix Matte Blue Altus
AP2 714 - Steelfiber i110cw
Vokey TVD - 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Sonoma/SS Newport 2

#35 evanleeball

evanleeball

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156697
  • Handicap:+.3
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

This is why I like to do all the work myself.

#36 farmer

farmer

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 427

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

What you think is too high is not relevant, nor is the opinion of anyone here.  The guy priced the job at what he thinks is right, you had the choice to walk away, it's fair all the way.

#37 tonyy

tonyy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65066
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

I  hear ya. I recently moved to stl and decided to support an area chain store over the Golfsmith. I put a driver on the BST and buyer just needed the head. Took it to the local chain store to get the shaft pulled. $30 freakin dollars and a turn around time of 3 days. WTF.

Back where I'm from it was $15 and had it pulled right there for me.

#38 3step

3step

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42998
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

View Postvinny809, on 20 July 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

Here's the situation.  I'm just visiting my current location in the summer and had no idea where to take my clubs for reshafting. I wanted to support local businesses so I looked for a place that was not a big chain store.  Plus I thought they would do better work there.  

I just purchased a 3 wood head and simply wanted to swap the shaft that was already in my current 3 wood.  Simple as that.  He quoted $65!!! Are you kidding me?? I have never seen such ridiculous prices in my life.  I told him my local guy does it for $15 a club.  He seemed surprised.  However Golf By Design another place in town does reshafting for $15.  He argued that because he had to take the shaft out of my current wood and prep it to be put back into my new head it would cost more because there is more work. IMO that is BS.  You would have to take out an "old" shaft on typical orders.  In my case, you are simply taking out a shaft and reshafting it into a new head.  Same amount of work.  Or close.  In any case, taking out a shaft does not take much work at all.

Get this, I was quoted $35 to do less work than what he quoted me for $65.  For my hybrid, I wanted him to remove the current shaft, and swap it with another shaft that was current in my G15.  (Changing to I15 hybrids).  After pressing the subject with with him numerous times, while he was trying to change the subject and try to get me to pay $100 for reshaft two clubs, he brought it down to $35 per club.   Which I still think is ridiculous, however since I drove 40 minutes to this place I decided to proceed with the reshafting.  I'm used to paying $15 with my local clubmaker.  Lesson is to call for a quote before making a 40 minute drive.  I was expecting to pay competitive prices for a reshaft, but not $65 for one single club with shafts already provided.  I can't wait for the day I have my own workbench and do club building work myself!  Sheesh.

If majority of the people here think this is unfair, I will write a review for this business on Google/Yelp or something.  If not, I'll refrain.

Thanks.

A TRUE STORY - Did the customer receive good value?

I once was at a big box store in Utah, and the grip rate was $1 + the price of the grip, and they would install it while you wait.

So, the customer pulled 3 identical Winn Firm Copper Standard grips out of a bin, handed the grips and his 3 woods to the grip installer behind the counter, who in a couple of minutes, cut the old grips off, and popped the new ones on. The customer walked out with 3 brand new fresh grips of his choosing, only waited a few minutes, paid for his grips and paid his $3.00 labor charge, and walked out a happy customer.

However, being the anal shaft knowledge guy that I am, I noticed the three clubs that the customer brought in, and each shaft was a different butt diameter. Not only 3 different sizes, but the Aldila NV in the customer's #5 metal had a rather severe taper. The installer "installed" the grips without regards to the butt diameter or taper dimension, with the result being -

1) a different grip size on each club,
2) a different taper on each club,
and
3) the need to have a different grip feel and grip pressure for each club, everytime he swings one of these clubs.

After the customer left, I asked the installer if he was aware that the 3 clubs were of varying sizes, and he said, "Sure, but they only want to pay $1 for their grip installs. I only have a few customers who want it right, and they're willing to pay a normal rate."

At my shop, we charge similar rates as what you encountered, which allows us to take the time to insure that you not only receive a solid shaft install, but also to make sure that all the specifications come out right. And we have no lack of repeat customers.

In my experience, most golfers would not know a quality install if it hit them in the face, and thus they can not process a $65 labor charge. Yet, they somehow can wrap their brain around a promise of a high launch/low spin $300+ shaft upgrade that has maybe $9 in raw materials, and may or may not deliver on that promise.

Kudos to Tom Wishon for telling it like it is. The oddest thing is that the loudest complainters about pricing is that none of these complainers would ever settle for a salary in their lives if the situation was reversed and they had to choose between their current gig, or a lifestyle funded by their own golf shop business based on $15 shaft installations.

There are 99 wrong ways to install a shaft, and only 1 way to install a shaft correctly.

3step

#39 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1972

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

View Post3step, on 21 July 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

The oddest thing is that the loudest complainters about pricing is that none of these complainers would ever settle for a salary in their lives if the situation was reversed and they had to choose between their current gig, or a lifestyle funded by their own golf shop business based on $15 shaft installations.

Keeping in mind that my original post on the subject stated that the retailer in this case has the right to charge what he wants and the op has the right to choose whether he wants to pay that price or have his work done elsewhere.

What you posted by and large is one of my main issues with your industry. As you just asserted the prices charged by club builders don't reflect the value attached to the work being done, they reflect the salary that club builders would like to earn regardless of the work provided. That's wrong.

It's a classic case of wanting to have your cake and eat it too. You have these people who have a job that they dont like and would rather build clubs and do fittings. They open a business with no consideration to the size of their market or the potential return that actually exists and when they figure out they can't make close to the salary they made at the job that they hated they begin to charge exorbitant prices for their work.

So how does this affect the customer? While I have no doubt that you have your regulars who give you repeat business here is what I hear from the majority of people I meet who have purchased custom clubs:

"I had these clubs built by XYZ club maker. I was promised my scores would go down, I paid $1800 for these custom irons, my scores didn't go down enough to warrant the extra fee, I'll never do it again."

If the price was more in line with the value received that person would be a repeat customer. He would pay $1300 instead of $1000 from a big box retailer because he would see the value in the slight increase in performance, but $1800 is just too much. And why is the builder charging $1800 instead of $1300 for the same irons that can be bought off the rack for $1000? Because he wants to make a salary that the market doesn't bear.

When I post this on here I usually find myself bombarded with insults and claims that "I don't know what I'm talking about", but you guys would be well served to listen to me. This is what someone with extensive experience with your industry from a customers point of view sees as issues with your industry. This is a good opportunity to look at things you could do better and grow your businesses.

#40 rhh7

rhh7

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120997
  • Ebay ID:rhh7
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

I agree completely with Thrillhouse.

And I am a big fan of Tom Wishon, have read his books for years

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

View Postrhh7, on 21 July 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

I agree completely with Thrillhouse.

And I am a big fan of Tom Wishon, have read his books for years

I am also a big fan of Tom wishon. The information he shares here is worth its weight in gold.

#42 AGBear

AGBear

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171216
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostThrillhouse, on 21 July 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

i guess the first thing i need to make clear is i dont think any idiot can put together a golf club properly, i understand that there are some good clubmakers out there and some bad ones. and yes, i have a huge thing about the value of it all and how it relates to price and some other issues i have come across in my extensive experience with the industry and no, you and i dont need to get into all of that.

the second thing is that i dont think golf galaxy should be doing all of the repairs. i think that people who do a lot of it should learn to do it themselves, its fun and its relatively easy to learn. what i think is that people who want to do it as a business should set up a sustainable business in relation to the available market and charge a fair price for their services. this means you will have more hobbyist setups in basements, garages, and golf club backshops than retail setups because honestly for the most part thats what the market will bear.

its not that i dont see the value in clubmakers, i just have a differing opinion of the extent of that value compared to some others. thats all.

I'd rather urinate razor wire out of urethra than ever let golf galaxy even look at one of my clubs I want to repair. Yes north olmsted Ohio I'm talking to you...

#43 NorthernS7ven

NorthernS7ven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184912
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

How about this..

You go buy a building.
You go buy all the proper tools.
You go pay for the knowledge to do things the proper way.
You pay employees.
You pay all the monthly bills.
You spend your days in the shop.

Then...
YOU go dick around switching shafts for fifteen dollars... All for some cheap a****** who wants to run down your business.

People these days.. Get real.

You're the type of customer that a business owner doesn't even want in his doors. Ask me how I know.

Edited by NorthernS7ven, 21 July 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#44 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

View PostNorthernS7ven, on 21 July 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

How about this..

You go buy a building.
You go buy all the proper tools.
You go pay for the knowledge to do things the proper way.
You pay employees.
You pay all the monthly bills.
You spend your days in the shop.

Then...
YOU go dick around switching shafts for fifteen dollars... All for some cheap a****** who wants to run down your business.

People these days.. Get real.

You're the type of customer that a business owner doesn't even want in his doors. Ask me how I know.

Why would you buy a building before you know the profits the business can produce? Why would you hire employees if paying their wages is going to be an issue?

This is a business that can be run from a garage or basement or leased retail space for a start up cost of $50,000 or less and no other employees if you are willing to answer a phone.

How did you finance your club making business? Did you use your own capital or did you raise it through other means? I ask because if you came to me with a proposal to start a business like this I would want to know exactly how you expect to get paid and what kind of market exists for these services and I would want to know what the thought process is in buying a building.

Get real is right.

#45 Badgergolfer2

Badgergolfer2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190300
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

The local shop that I deal with here in Columbus charges $10.  $30 or more is a pretty big ripoff.

#46 Jamesthegolfguy

Jamesthegolfguy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109347
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

That is totally ridiculous. I reshaft my own clubs and it takes mabye 15 min. I'll take $260 a hour to build clubs.

#47 justhackin

justhackin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41180
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

I charge $25 to reshaft take it or leave it. There is a Dick's that will gladly help you about 45 minutes from here. Several locals drove there over to have them do it for $15. So far I have replaced 10 shafts they put in drivers including one $350 one they wouldn't replace which obviously wasn't installed correctly. My wife says that when they come back I should charge $50 ....lol

I have a lot of training and equipment but this is not my main income. I won't work for nothing though.  I would rather be playing golf...

There is a lot more to fitting/building than most folks think. I was one of those "I can do it too" guys until a person rebuilt my first attempt the proper way. It made a good set, that I built, feel like magic.  The internet makes it seem way easier than it really is.

hackin

#48 stage1350

stage1350

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,661 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 664
  • Location:5 stars, 5 diamonds, 28 tables, 600 slots. Life is good...
  • Ebay ID:stage1350
GolfWRX Likes : 1292

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

And people wonder why I never wanted to try and make a living off of a shop.

The best fitter I know does not charge $65, but his price is above the mean in the area.  His work, however, it without reproach.  You get what you pay for with him, as it will be done correctly.

You decide what your game is worth.  The shop guy decides what his time is worth.  Then the two of you have to decide if you want to do business or not.
Tour Issue SLDR 430 9w/ GD P9003 TX
X-Hot Pro 3Deep 13 w/ Project X-10A2
Tour Issue 585.H 17 w/ Diamana Thump X
Mizuno MP-63 3-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 TX
Vokey SM-5 54M and 60M w/ DG Tour X7
Bettinardi Solid Copper BB2 RJB1982

#49 3step

3step

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

View PostThrillhouse, on 21 July 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

The oddest thing is that the loudest complainters about pricing is that none of these complainers would ever settle for a salary in their lives if the situation was reversed and they had to choose between their current gig, or a lifestyle funded by their own golf shop business based on $15 shaft installations.

Keeping in mind that my original post on the subject stated that the retailer in this case has the right to charge what he wants and the op has the right to choose whether he wants to pay that price or have his work done elsewhere.

What you posted by and large is one of my main issues with your industry. As you just asserted the prices charged by club builders don't reflect the value attached to the work being done, they reflect the salary that club builders would like to earn regardless of the work provided. That's wrong.

It's a classic case of wanting to have your cake and eat it too. You have these people who have a job that they dont like and would rather build clubs and do fittings. They open a business with no consideration to the size of their market or the potential return that actually exists and when they figure out they can't make close to the salary they made at the job that they hated they begin to charge exorbitant prices for their work.

So how does this affect the customer? While I have no doubt that you have your regulars who give you repeat business here is what I hear from the majority of people I meet who have purchased custom clubs:

"I had these clubs built by XYZ club maker. I was promised my scores would go down, I paid $1800 for these custom irons, my scores didn't go down enough to warrant the extra fee, I'll never do it again."

If the price was more in line with the value received that person would be a repeat customer. He would pay $1300 instead of $1000 from a big box retailer because he would see the value in the slight increase in performance, but $1800 is just too much. And why is the builder charging $1800 instead of $1300 for the same irons that can be bought off the rack for $1000? Because he wants to make a salary that the market doesn't bear.

When I post this on here I usually find myself bombarded with insults and claims that "I don't know what I'm talking about", but you guys would be well served to listen to me. This is what someone with extensive experience with your industry from a customers point of view sees as issues with your industry. This is a good opportunity to look at things you could do better and grow your businesses.

I believe that the reason why the replies vary so much is partly what you write, but here are two important other reasons-

1) Most golf consumers are not educated about equipment installation. Changing shafts is not "plug and play" as if it was an Apple i-Pod or such. When a customer brings a club into our facility and asks, "How much to pull this shaft out of this Taylor Made #3 wood, and install into this Callaway #3 wood", they think that every head is the same weight, the hosel diameter is the same size, the bottom of the bore to the ground is the same measurement, and that every shaft orientation yields the same performance. ???

The simplistic task of pulling a shaft and installing into another club is quite routine and should not command a high price, nor it is a business model that any skilled clubmaker would be wise to pursue.

However, if that customer wants that shaft  to be pulled and installed into another head AND, AND, AND wants it to play in a similar fashion as in the previous manner, then this is why we charge what we charge.

2) ALSO, Every club that leaves our shop is a reflection on what we do and how we are measured as to our worthiness and expertise. If we offered a basic "swap shaft" service for $15 to that customer who mistakenly thinks that by swapping the shafts, wiithout taking into account the variation of the two clubs, that it will play fine..., well, it is a 100% reality that when that 2nd club plays different, they will proclaim to the other 3 guys in their golf group. "I had this shaft installed by this ABC shop, and it plays terrible, and these guys do not know what they are doing. These are events that we cannot afford to have happen. It just costs too much to go down that road in order to make $15 ???

3step

#50 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

View Post3step, on 22 July 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

I believe that the reason why the replies vary so much is partly what you write, but here are two important other reasons-

1) Most golf consumers are not educated about equipment installation. Changing shafts is not "plug and play" as if it was an Apple i-Pod or such. When a customer brings a club into our facility and asks, "How much to pull this shaft out of this Taylor Made #3 wood, and install into this Callaway #3 wood", they think that every head is the same weight, the hosel diameter is the same size, the bottom of the bore to the ground is the same measurement, and that every shaft orientation yields the same performance. ???

The simplistic task of pulling a shaft and installing into another club is quite routine and should not command a high price, nor it is a business model that any skilled clubmaker would be wise to pursue.

However, if that customer wants that shaft  to be pulled and installed into another head AND, AND, AND wants it to play in a similar fashion as in the previous manner, then this is why we charge what we charge.

2) ALSO, Every club that leaves our shop is a reflection on what we do and how we are measured as to our worthiness and expertise. If we offered a basic "swap shaft" service for $15 to that customer who mistakenly thinks that by swapping the shafts, wiithout taking into account the variation of the two clubs, that it will play fine..., well, it is a 100% reality that when that 2nd club plays different, they will proclaim to the other 3 guys in their golf group. "I had this shaft installed by this ABC shop, and it plays terrible, and these guys do not know what they are doing. These are events that we cannot afford to have happen. It just costs too much to go down that road in order to make $15 ???

3step

A fair response and I can't disagree with what you say. There are good and bad in your industry just like any other and it sounds like you are one of the good ones who does good work and is charging what you need to charge to get it done properly. As a consumer I can't criticize that.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 thegooddoctor

thegooddoctor

My bad holes are just me getting my money's worth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103380
  • Handicap:Bad
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

Interesting read.

First off, people can charge whatever they want, it's up to the consumer to be educated and know what he is getting for his/hers money. Complaining about what you paid after you voluntarily paid for it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

When it comes to installing equipment I am an idiot. I have a driver a fairway wood and 2 hybrids with vastly different swing weights because of it. But, each one is the length that I prefer and I find that for me this is much much more important the swing weight. Now if I dropped more money to have these re seingweighted/pured/spined/double spined/ and hopscotched then I would be happy to pay more. But for my needs not really important.

Really, what would be incredible would be a universal shaft adapter that would make all these shafts interchangeable between makers (I guy can dream right, I would buy stock in the BST if this ever happened).

Bottom line, you get what you pay for, but not everyone needs the 65 dollar service.

#52 TJCDAS

TJCDAS

I was cured, all right!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77417
  • Handicap:Me
GolfWRX Likes : 759

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

Only a fool would charge $15 to re-shaft a club.  $15 to install a shaft fine but to anyone how has worked on clubs it takes a little time to clean up the club for the re-shaft.

#53 3step

3step

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

Amen

3step

#54 gmangolf

gmangolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45391
  • Handicap:1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

One of the best posts I've seen on here in a long time.

I think I've learned that many small businesses understand their craft, but most of the time do not understand how to operate a successful business.  Most do not understand consumer behavior, or what things can be attributed to repeat business.  They often lack in marketing/selling techniques as well and as a result, many very skilled individuals or small businesses with great products end up struggling to make ends meet.

In this case, it seems like this guy was either A) unaware of current market rates for club work or B) considered it barely worth his time unless he could charge an exorbitant fee.  Both are silly business mistakes.

When a new customer walks in, your first encounter will likely determine any future possibility of business.  If I walk into a store and you tell me that a job is going to cost 3x what I think it should cost, with no explanation of the job or labor involved, you are very likely NEVER going to see me again.  Not because I'm upset, or angry and can't let it go, but because I've attached a negative experience/emotion to your business that will always be in the back of my mind.

Edited by gmangolf, 23 July 2012 - 08:40 AM.

#55 smoky25

smoky25

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108063
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

I wouldn't pay Tom Wishon $65 to re-shaft a club... and I love the guy. Well, I don't actually love him, but you know what I mean.  In the OP's case, as soon as "$65" came out of his mouth, I would have walked out. He can charge what he wants, and I can pay what I want.

#56 Shambles

Shambles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105681
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

View Postsmoky25, on 23 July 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

I wouldn't pay Tom Wishon $65 to re-shaft a club... and I love the guy. Well, I don't actually love him, but you know what I mean.  In the OP's case, as soon as "$65" came out of his mouth, I would have walked out. He can charge what he wants, and I can pay what I want.

This I agree with.

I sometimes do my own clubs but more often these days I prefer to pay others to do the work. I do look them over first, especially if the job is going to be a bit complicated, but on the whole choose my club maker on the basis of trusting him and on my ability to pay his price.

Shambles

#57 mickw

mickw

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36991
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'd rather overpay (within reason, of course) to either get what I want or have something done correctly...than nickel and dime myself into a blind fury because of poor results.

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors