Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Thoughts About the Discourse on GolfWRX

69 replies to this topic

#1 Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148219
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:05 PM

I love this site. I love flipping open my computer, checking out the latest gear on tour, learning more than I could have ever thought possible about equipment, and yes, even visiting Ask Thrillhouse when I'm in need of a laugh or two. I love the fact that it is my home page when I open up my internet browser. I love 99.9% of what goes on here.

That being said, I have noticed a slightly disturbing trend lately, mainly in the way of discourse. It seems like lately, more and more threads have been turning into so-called "prove it threads", which get tiresome quickly, but those are not what has bothered me most. What really rubs me the wrong way is what happens when two people come in conflict. Now I have absolutely no problem with disagreement; difference of opinions actually leads to some of the most thoughtful and interesting discussions. What I have a problem with is that I have seen countless instances of someone viciously attacking another poster, simply because he might disagree with something that was said. Regardless of whether someone might be right or wrong, there is a way to suggest to someone that he is wrong without being petty, degrading, and just plain obnoxious. I will personally admit to having been sucked into such posts from time to time, but when I go back and re-read some of the discussions, I am appalled both by things I have said and things that have been said to me. Please, before posting something nasty directed towards someone else, just remind yourself that we are all here because we have a passion for the same game, and in the grand scheme of things, no discussion that goes on here is worth attacking another person over.

I'm not a mod, so I have no power to enforce anything, and quite frankly, I wouldn't really want to. I'm also not trying to be some sort of morally upstanding person who thinks everyone should emulate me; I'm not. I simply think that just a little more civility in posting would improve this place quite a bit more than you would think.

Feel free to leave your thoughts, take something from this, or completely ignore it!

Alex

Cleveland Classic 290 9* Tour AD-DI 6s
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* Tour AD-DI 7s
Adams Idea Pro 18* Aerotech Steelfiber
Mizuno MP-33 3-PW TTDG S300
Cleveland 588 Forged 56*, 64*
Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 40

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 glenbrookchamp10

glenbrookchamp10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140433
  • Ebay ID:xstr8jedix
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

I have never had a golf related argument in real life, sowhy have one online?  I think that many people hide behind the anonymity of their computer, which is sad.  Great point in that were all in this together because of this great game.

#3 Tee Time!

Tee Time!

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174156
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Well said HH. Unfortunately, I don't think much will change, but you are dead right about everything.

#4 MileHighClub

MileHighClub

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123991
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

It's been that way ever since I joined.......hmm......maybe it's my fault.
Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

#5 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130302
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

If we can't tell somebody they are wrong in a petty, degrading, and just plain obnoxious way, then what the hell is the point of an internet forum?

#6 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,774 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2419

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

Why do you hate America?
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#7 iGolfism

iGolfism

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 145525
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

View PostVindog, on 19 July 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

Why do you hate America?

who me? :cry:

Edited by iGolfism, 19 July 2012 - 10:19 PM.

#8 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 574

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

It has been this way since I have been here as well. After a while you learn to avoid the following types of threads
Tiger
Cameron vs
Bettinardi vs
Westwood
Us vs.Uk
Distance and talent related claims
How far do you hit X club
Can I take a pro v from the range bucket (blast from the past there)

In large this site is great and provides tons of legit knowledge talent and help if you look in the right places, as it grows the troll to genuine poster ratio will grow as well.

9.5 9064 Oban Devotion 06
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
18* IDEA PRO Hybrid the OG
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill
Vokey 52/56/60 200series/TVDK/TVDMgrind
WITB Link

#9 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,774 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2419

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

View PostiGolfism, on 19 July 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

me? :cry:

Joking on the OP.
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#10 SurfinTurf

SurfinTurf

In like Flynn with my 8802

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115210
GolfWRX Likes : 863

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

View PostMileHighClub, on 19 July 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

It's been that way ever since I joined.......hmm......maybe it's my fault.

Not to be petty, degrading or obnoxious but yeah dude! I could have told you that.

Whatever...  I'm out.

:tongue:

Edited by SurfinTurf, 19 July 2012 - 10:25 PM.

TM '07 Burner TP 8.5 Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5 PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18 PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51/56/60
The Wilson 8802

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Veng

Veng

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170380
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

Threads like these will never change anything, no matter how well written.  Sadly, we must all learn this by writing a thread like this sometime in our lifetime.

#12 Onewaggle

Onewaggle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178862
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

Rodney King couldn't get everyone to get along.

#13 Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostVeng, on 19 July 2012 - 10:29 PM, said:

Threads like these will never change anything, no matter how well written.  Sadly, we must all learn this by writing a thread like this sometime in our lifetime.

Honestly, I didn't write it thinking that it would revolutionize this site and everyone would just suddenly get along. Realistically, all I really hope is that maybe one or two people will see this and that it might maybe, just maybe, evoke a little thought.

#14 Tee Time!

Tee Time!

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174156
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

lol it's sad when even the "keep the peace" threads threaten to get locked on this site.

#15 mickw

mickw

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36991
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

All good points, OP. Right around the time I catch myself ready to add something to a thread that's headed in the direction you've pointed out...I hit the "View New Content" button. It's like my golfwrx big red "easy" button. Keeps me out of the hot messes and also keeps the BP down...

Posted Image

#16 Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

View Postmickw, on 19 July 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

All good points, OP. Right around the time I catch myself ready to add something to a thread that's headed in the direction you've pointed out...I hit the "View New Content" button. It's like my golfwrx big red "easy" button. Keeps me out of the hot messes and also keeps the BP down...

Posted Image

Haha we should install one of those right next to the post button!

#17 golfingchuck

golfingchuck

My Thriver is 2* open at address

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76332
  • Ebay ID:cp4200
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

Whats going on in here? By the way my Scotty is better than yours! Oh, you hit it 347, I hit it 359! Forged>Cast, Scratch clubs suck (JK) lolololololololololol
Titleist 910D2 8.5 VTS 65sx
Titleist 910f/910H VTS Red 7sx/8H Xs
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
MannKrafted Custom TANGENT Ten-13
Titleist Pro V1

#18 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4647

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

I've posted in a number of threads regarding these kinds of arguments: first it's just an opinion, secondly, no on is right or wrong, third, neither argument can be proved one or the other, and fourth, I can't figure out why someone has to denigrate someone else over a difference of opinion.
Hey...be nice.

#19 anth

anth

PINGED

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22863
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 215

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

And so we get to the heart of the matter.  If someone has an opinion that is wrong (as much as it can be proven as such), do you:

a: let bygones be bygones and say you're entitled to your opinion

b: set that mofo straight!

OK, so I'm only half joking.  But I think a lot of the frustration can be explained by this.

Personally, I try to remember something that I read recently - it's become a bit of a mantra...

You're entitled to your own opinion, just not your own facts.

:tongue:

Edited by anth, 19 July 2012 - 11:15 PM.

PING G25 10.5
Mizuno JPX 825 Hybrid 16
PING G25 Hybrid 20
PING i25 4 - PW
PING Tour Gorge 50+58, Cally X Forged 54
Odyssey White Ice #7

#20 iGolfism

iGolfism

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 145525
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

View PostVindog, on 19 July 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

View PostiGolfism, on 19 July 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

me? :cry:

Joking on the OP.

oh gots it, my bad... wait in that case he hates England as well!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 MrParr1Noid

MrParr1Noid

...Keep Their Heads Ringin'...

• 6,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382
  • Handicap:71
GolfWRX Likes : 284

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

There are a variety of reasons why many threads go negative, and that is that most guys don't take the time to read the topic, and follow what's discussed..  For example, I asked a guy to keep his responses on the topic at hand, and he told me  all threads go off topic, this topic has been followed long enough, and it was time for him to take the topic where ever he wanted to.   It's this attitude where guys feel as if they can do as they please, and have little or no consideration or regard for others.

The other one is sarcasm,  which doesn't go over too well on the internet either.  Most everyone who posts believes that their opinions are right (and that's alright to) but the passion to which some guys take it is unreal.  

p.s.  CHICKEN?   You Calling Me A Chicken?  :)   ...There is no perfect, and there is no exact answer but with the help of our membership, and their desire for a well rounded, respected, and informative  golf forum, it will work well , We Will Thrive! ...JAT
:-)
Cally Apex Pro 4-PW w/Recoil Graphite 95
These Cally Apex Irons Are TFG.. :-)
WITB Link

#22 SurfinTurf

SurfinTurf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:34 AM

View PostMrParr1Noid, on 19 July 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

There are a variety of reasons why many threads go negative, and that is that most guys don't take the time to read the topic, and follow what's discussed..  For example, I asked a guy to keep his responses on the topic at hand, and he told me  all threads go off topic, this topic has been followed long enough, and it was time for him to take the topic where ever he wanted to.   It's this attitude where guys feel as if they can do as they please, and have little or no consideration or regard for others.

The other one is sarcasm,  which doesn't go over too well on the internet either.  Most everyone who posts believes that their opinions are right (and that's alright to) but the passion to which some guys take it is unreal.  

p.s.  CHICKEN?   You Calling Me A Chicken?  :)   ...There is no perfect, and there is no exact answer but with the help of our membership, and their desire for a well rounded, respected, and informative  golf forum, it will work well , We Will Thrive! ...JAT

:offtopic2:
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

#23 golfingchuck

golfingchuck

My Thriver is 2* open at address

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76332
  • Ebay ID:cp4200
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:36 AM

View PostSurfinTurf, on 20 July 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

Now this is funny!!!
Titleist 910D2 8.5 VTS 65sx
Titleist 910f/910H VTS Red 7sx/8H Xs
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
MannKrafted Custom TANGENT Ten-13
Titleist Pro V1

#24 SurfinTurf

SurfinTurf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:59 AM

Frankly I've seen fewer pissing matches. I've been involved in a few but don't think I could care enough to go there agian.

I think the balance of Guru posters like Howard Johnson and Tom Wishon is balanced out nicely by the 360 yard driving 14 year olds. Which in turn is put back in perspective by the light hearted Ironists like Thrillhouse and company. I supoose the grumpy guys, of which there are plenty, have thier place also. Holding down the fort I suppose. All in all.... no complaints. One or two wacked out moralists, but hey it's all in the family.

Edited by SurfinTurf, 20 July 2012 - 10:12 AM.

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

#25 SurfinTurf

SurfinTurf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

View Postgolfingchuck, on 20 July 2012 - 02:36 AM, said:

View PostSurfinTurf, on 20 July 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

Now this is funny!!!

:hi: :hi: :hi:

Now read my above post please.....   Thank you.

Edited by SurfinTurf, 20 July 2012 - 03:12 AM.

Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
The Wilson 8802

#26 Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

View PostSurfinTurf, on 20 July 2012 - 02:59 AM, said:

Frankly I've seen fewer pissing matches. I've been involved in a few but don't think I could care enough to go there agian. What Up Dizzle My Nizzle?!?!....

I think the balance of Guru posters like Howard Johnson and Tom Wishon is balanced out nicely by the 360 yard driving 14 year olds. Which in turn is put back in perspective by the light hearted Ironists like Thrillhouse and company. I supoose the grumpy guys, of which there are plenty, have thier place also. Holding down the fort I suppose. All in all.... no complaints. One or two wacked out moralists, but hey it's all in the family.

Yeah I totally agree. Like I said, I love 99.9% of what goes on here. My main gripe is that such posts can not only be rude and offensive, but can actually detract from or entirely derail some threads that have the potential to be really great discussions.

EDIT: And I hit the driver 380 now, thank you very much!

Edited by Hattori Hanzo, 20 July 2012 - 07:12 AM.

#27 ruascott

ruascott

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139371
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

I've been on many forums online, for a variety of topics. This one is by far the most mature and civilized.

#28 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

I certainly don't mind when people disagree with me. They are intitled to their opinion.....They are wrong, but they are intitled to express it :)  Note to MrParr1noid (sarcasim inserted)  :)
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#29 Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 20 July 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

I certainly don't mind when people disagree with me. They are intitled to their opinion.....They are wrong, but they are intitled to express it :)  Note to MrParr1noid (sarcasim inserted)  :)

Exactly. Think about how boring it would be if everyone agreed about everything! I'm just trying to illustrate that there is a difference between disagreement and been an a**.

#30 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

View Postdoodle_cakes, on 20 July 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

RANGE FINDERS ARE FOR ****

Had to do a quick edit to prevent a ban, I thought a certain 4 letter word would get censored, it did not.
if you use iron covers you are a *****

OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors