Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

Making a Fairway wood easier to hit?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PingPoncho

PingPoncho

PingPoncho

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13867
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

1. What is the standard length 3 fairway wood that PGA golfers use?

2. What is the standard length 3 fairway wood average golfers buy off the shelf?

3. Would gripping down on the shaft make it easier to hit the 3 fairway wood in the fairway or would cutting down 1/2 to 1 inch from the shaft be a better solution?

4. By cutting down 1/2 to 1 inch or gripping down on the shaft reduce your distance or would it make you have a better chance of making solid contact and thus giving you more distance? Which would be a
    better solution?

5. Does anyone make a fairway wood that you can also adjust the loft of the club like some drivers do?

I know lessons and practice would help too but can anyone give answers to the 5 questions above?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 ignitewvu

ignitewvu

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3869
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

Standard length for a 3 wood normally is 43" which corresponds with someone being around 6ft Tall.

I am right at 6" but I prefer my woods about 1/4" short which helps me hit them off of deck.

TM and Titleist make adjustable 3 woods.
TI SLDR 460 9.5 Fubuki zt60s
SLDR 15 Kai Li 80s
TI Adams Super Pro 18 Altus HY
Bridgestone J40DPC PXi 6.0
Cleveland 588 RTG 56 & 60 S300
Bobby Grace GTMini

#3 Zunes

Zunes

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59882
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'm no expert but I would think an "average" golfer has very little use for a 3 wood and it will be difficult to hit no matter what length shaft. The low handicap high swing speed golfwrx players can use a 3 wood, but the average golfer could take the 3 out of the bag and not miss it.
Ping G30 Driver
Ping G30 5 wood
Ping Karsten 4, 5 hybrids
Ping Karsten irons 6-UW
Scotty Select Newport 2
Nike X3X 52, 56, 60

#4 Pert1862

Pert1862

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60172
  • Ebay ID:Pert1862
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

I cut mine 1/2 inch. Huge difference. Love them now. But I'm only 5'6".

Edited by Pert1862, 14 July 2012 - 03:46 PM.

Titleist 910d2 9.5* / Project X
Ping G10 3 wd 15.5* / Titleist 906f4 18*
Ping G10 21* / Rapture 24*
Ping G5 6-U
Ping Anser Milled w/SuperStroke Flatso
Cleveland CG14 56* and 60*

#5 Swe Zibber

Swe Zibber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131847
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

1: Dont know

2: 43" witch is stated above i belive

3: Dont start messing with the shaft if you know it will make it better, just choke down and swing it more comfortable. So choke down...

4: If u want an easy T3 u whant to prio straight and easy so cut down and get the swing and the contact you need to get it straight the length will work itself out eventuely both with comfort and increased smash factor and speed that comes with comfort.  

5: Dunno, but suggest a T3 that is glued because when u start mesing with the head you adjust and that messes with the rest of the set.

#6 insightaz

insightaz

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119390
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

I always play mine at 42.25 and my driver at 44.25 this gives me the best combo of accuaracy and distance. I am currently using a speedline lp 5 wood that is 17.5 degrees so basically a 4 wood and I am hitting it better and longer than my other 3 woods and I only had to trim off .25 to bring it to 42.25 which really had no effect on swingweight. I have always had problems cutting down 43 inch 3 or 4 woods by .75 and the swingweight being too light.

#7 lukesmurf59

lukesmurf59

Look at me, look at me... WHA-PANG!! LET'S GO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122208
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Currently playing mine at 43" and will cut it down to 42" which is really where they should be, 43 is too long for just about everybody.  I can control it well however I first installed the shaft untipped. I plan on tipping it an inch to lower the flight and tighten the feel and hopefully dispersion, as well as try to take less of a divot with it. I am going to do this because tipping it an inch will make the flex fit me better and the length will be more playable.
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT 60S
Titleist 913f 13.5 Diamana S+ 72 S
Callaway Razr X Tour 18 Fubuki AX 400h X
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18 PXi 6.0
Callaway TA X Prototype PX Flighted 6.0
Odyssey Metal X #7 Arm Lock

#8 SurfinTurf

SurfinTurf

In like Flynn with my 8802

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115210
GolfWRX Likes : 863

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

View Postlukesmurf59, on 14 July 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Currently playing mine at 43" and will cut it down to 42" which is really where they should be, 43 is too long for just about everybody.  I can control it well however I first installed the shaft untipped. I plan on tipping it an inch to lower the flight and tighten the feel and hopefully dispersion, as well as try to take less of a divot with it. I am going to do this because tipping it an inch will make the flex fit me better and the length will be more playable.

What would you play your 5 wood at then?
TM '07 Burner TP 8.5 Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5 PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18 PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51/56/60
The Wilson 8802

#9 MelloYello

MelloYello

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152687
  • Ebay ID:gregr319
GolfWRX Likes : 313

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostPingPoncho, on 14 July 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

1. What is the standard length 3 fairway wood that PGA golfers use?

2. What is the standard length 3 fairway wood average golfers buy off the shelf?

3. Would gripping down on the shaft make it easier to hit the 3 fairway wood in the fairway or would cutting down 1/2 to 1 inch from the shaft be a better solution?

4. By cutting down 1/2 to 1 inch or gripping down on the shaft reduce your distance or would it make you have a better chance of making solid contact and thus giving you more distance? Which would be a
better solution?

5. Does anyone make a fairway wood that you can also adjust the loft of the club like some drivers do?

I know lessons and practice would help too but can anyone give answers to the 5 questions above?

1.) There's probably no 'standard' on the PGA Tour for those types of things because each player is individually fit for what he needs, wants, prefers, etc. You've got PGA Tour players that are 5'6' and guys well above 6' in some instances. The idea of a 'standard' kind of flies out the window because no one bothers putting something in their bag without having it fit to their desired specs.

2.) Current 3w offerings will differ but 43" is a typical 'standard.'

3.) I always prefer cutting a shaft down if I'm never going to use the extra length. I find that as I grip down I make shorter, more conservative swings. That psychological aspect leads me to prefer what I do. I think most players are the same way but I'd never recommend someone alter their club(s) unless they know exactly what they want and are very sure they won't change their mind later! ;)

4.) I'd rather hit a shorter club on the screws than miss with a longer club. When you miss, not only do your yardages start getting inconsistent but you have the left and right aspects to be concerned with as well. In general, golf rewards solid strikes that fly straight more than mis-hits that fly offline. I certainly recommend playing what you're most consistent with and what you can trust.

5.) Most companies who make adjustable drivers also make their fairway metals with most of or some of the same adjustable technology. TaylorMade, Titleist and Nike all make adjustable fairway models for example.

Edited by MelloYello, 14 July 2012 - 05:58 PM.

TaylorMade RBZ Tour   (TP HD6)
Nike SQ II 17*   (ProLaunch Red)
Nike SQ II 19*   (ProLaunch Platinum)
Mizuno MP-64 4-PW  (S300)
Mizuno MP-T4  52 / 56 / 60   (Spinner)

#10 AMS MIKE

AMS MIKE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41084
  • Ebay ID:BUYAMS
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

4 wood is easier to hit and i dont see a big difference in distance difference between 3 and 4 wood. Biggest difference is i am much more consitant with the 4 wood.

I am currently using the XCG5 4-wood 16.5* and its about 225 carry avg and easy to hit off the tee and the deck!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors