Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hitting the Hosel---- Help!!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 9or18

9or18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174866
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

I am fairly new here so I will give you a bit of a background.  I am playing to about a 12 handicap.  I have had a few sub 80 rounds on my home course but I mostly shoot mid to upper 80's.  I have a good understanding of swing mechanics.

I just got back from a golf week hitting 4 different courses and a few pitch and putts with the kids.  I shot an 85 for my first round and was very happy with the result.  I had one hosel show up during that round and shook it off as every now and again I get one of these.  The next day on the range before our round I was hitting my wedges and I was getting more and more of these 'hosel' shots?  

I shruged it off to being tired, up too late with friends and not focusing on my game.  Unfortunatley, they didn't dissappear.  I must have had 4 to 5 during the round and they started showing up on my mid to long irons.

The third round was much the same and now it has gotten into my head and I can't seem to get rid of it or find a correction for it.

My playing partner suggested I start moving back from the ball, but I am not sure that is the problem.  I don't feel like I was crowding the ball.

Could someone please give me a little direction as to what to look for or what to practice.  I head into my club's match play this week and I need to rid myself of this swing thought, problem.

Cheers.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 golfingchuck

golfingchuck

My Thriver is 2* open at address

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76332
  • Ebay ID:cp4200
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

I had the same problem a few weeks ago! I wasn't keeping my head down and was cutting across the ball. Mind you it was my 3rd round in over a year, but for it to happen more than 3-4 times for me was a problem.

I just shrugged it off and the next round a week later had none. I suggest putting all the stuff in your pocket to the other pocket, turning your hat around and putting a tee in your ear, just sayin!
Titleist 910D2 8.5 VTS 65sx
Titleist 910f/910H VTS Red 7sx/8H Xs
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
MannKrafted Custom TANGENT Ten-13
Titleist Pro V1

#3 Gbyeball

Gbyeball

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147607
  • Ebay ID:davebeenthere
GolfWRX Likes : 579

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

This happens to many and has been discussed a lot.

Bad news is there is no universal cure for hosel rockets because it can be caused be 10 or more different flaws. I had them about two years ago, just started happening and lasted a whole season. I went to an instuctor, worked with him for 3 months, nothing. Changed instuctors and he had me fixed by the thrid lesson. One universal truth is the more they happen the harder you TRY to make contact the worse it gets.

The only advice I can give is go to the range and slow your swing down, think rhytmn and timing try to feel the swing and it's moving parts. Experiment with ball postion and grip pressure. One of the root causes of my sh**ks was my right hand was to loose on my back swing than as I started down I would increase grip pressure and it would throw the club head outside it's intended plane. I was standing too close to the ball as well. Just like you I didn't think that had changed but it did.
Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour  50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

#4 SSafran

SSafran

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54569
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

View Post9or18, on 13 July 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

I am fairly new here so I will give you a bit of a background.  I am playing to about a 12 handicap.  I have had a few sub 80 rounds on my home course but I mostly shoot mid to upper 80's.  I have a good understanding of swing mechanics.

I just got back from a golf week hitting 4 different courses and a few pitch and putts with the kids.  I shot an 85 for my first round and was very happy with the result.  I had one hosel show up during that round and shook it off as every now and again I get one of these.  The next day on the range before our round I was hitting my wedges and I was getting more and more of these 'hosel' shots?  

I shruged it off to being tired, up too late with friends and not focusing on my game.  Unfortunatley, they didn't dissappear.  I must have had 4 to 5 during the round and they started showing up on my mid to long irons.

The third round was much the same and now it has gotten into my head and I can't seem to get rid of it or find a correction for it.

My playing partner suggested I start moving back from the ball, but I am not sure that is the problem.  I don't feel like I was crowding the ball.

Could someone please give me a little direction as to what to look for or what to practice.  I head into my club's match play this week and I need to rid myself of this swing thought, problem.

Cheers.

Look at this video:

Look at 1:33 seconds and imagine what happens if your right hip comes forward away from the wall on the downswing.

Shank.

#5 golfingchuck

golfingchuck

My Thriver is 2* open at address

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76332
  • Ebay ID:cp4200
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostSSafran, on 14 July 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:

View Post9or18, on 13 July 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

Cheers.

Look at this video:

Look at 1:33 seconds and imagine what happens if your right hip comes forward away from the wall on the downswing.

Shank.
Did you really have to add the S word at the end of your post?! You sir should be banned! Lol jk

Titleist 910D2 8.5 VTS 65sx
Titleist 910f/910H VTS Red 7sx/8H Xs
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
MannKrafted Custom TANGENT Ten-13
Titleist Pro V1

#6 mact3333

mact3333

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167991
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

do 9-3 drills...half to 2/3rd swings....get back to basics...grip, posture, forward shaft lean...do 1/2 swings  and stay connected...when i start shanking I do this and it helps...swing like you have to thin socks under both armpits and this helps keeping  you connected and in sync.

I am far from good but I bet this works for you.

#7 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 2011

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

There are many root causes for the shanks, but there is one nearly universal ingredient.

Pulling on the handle too hard and not allowing the arms to rotate around the body.

Part two is sometimes mistaken for rolling the wrists, but it is not the same thing.

If you allow the lower body to shift and the arms to drop into your side instead of pulling the handle to initiate the downswing, then allow the arms to rotate, the shanks will subside...but you still need to address the root cause.

These two actions I describe are illustrated in two YouTube videos I made.

On my phone so it's hard to link them, but it you do a search for....

Bump, Dump and Turn

And

Plane an Release by Feel
Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

#8 Long and Wrong Nick

Long and Wrong Nick

Greenskeeper - 7 handicap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190018

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

My personal favorite cure (specially for those wedges) is to actually line the ball up of the heel.. then attempt to hit it a bit off the toe... this is going to make you a little steeper in to the ball.. with more wrist lag.. and your contact is going to be much better than lining it up off the toe and dipping your right shoulder as you pray to the golf gods.. please go straight lol

#9 butch33611

butch33611

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187822
GolfWRX Likes : 338

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Heres a drill that helps. put 2 tees in the ground side by side about 3 inches apart going across the target line. For a shank line up your club on the tee furtherest away and hit the tee closer to you. Hit a few ball off the closer tee. Another good drill is to put 2 tees in the ground a little wider then your iron or wood and tee up a ball in the middle. I gives you a good target line and instant feedback how far you are from the sweet spot. I do the second one on all my shots on the range.

#10 9or18

9or18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174866

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

I appreciate all the feedback.  I am setting up my net in the garage and going to work out the problems.

Cheers.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 SafariThomas

SafariThomas

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101924
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Pm sent..

#12 Invincentble

Invincentble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125443
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Like others have said, many things can cause shanks. Let me share with you my recent discovery for one of the root causes.

I made a swing change that had my backswing on a steeper plane as I was below the plane on the backswing but on plane during the downswing. After I made this swing change I realized the backswing was shifting weight to my toes. As I swung to hit the ball, the weight remained on my toes which means my spine tilt changed and that caused me to hit it fat or shank.

So i focused on keeping balanced and boom, shanks went away.

#13 rikeegee

rikeegee

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36565

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

Funny because I was just dealing with this recently.  2 weeks ago I warmed up on the range and it started s**king my irons...I mean every iron from 7-lob.  I ignored it and thought maybe I was just too stiff and tired from the night before.  The WHOLE round i probably hit only 2-3 good iron shots, all s**ked!!!  I was freaked and frustrated.  Eventually to get through the round i just did half shots and bump\runs.  Its frustrating to hit good drives to give you a short wedge in and hit the ball into a water hazard directly to the right of you!  that water wasnt even in play at that point haha!!  Anyways, I played 4 days later and the same thing.  I was eventually throwing my clubs around which was not good behavior.

I went back to the drawing board and focused on my setup basics.  As Invincentible mentioned, I just focused on my balance.  I made sure my weight was evenly on the center of my feet, not toe or heel.  I relaxed my hands and grip and focused on keeping that pressure evenly throughout my swing.  I have been hitting it good since then, had 2 rounds in only only had one s**k but that was because I was rushing my shot since I was in the other fairway and people were about to tee off ( at least thats what I tell myself :-) ).  That's how i dealt with mine.  Hope it helps.

#14 Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73232
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Many possible causes.  Faulty hand action is one.  Getting out on the toes is another.  Or too close to the ball.

One way to check is to try and stop the club right before impact and then notice what's happening.  Work backwards from there.

#15 Petter Player

Petter Player

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70069
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

Guiding the clubhead and hitting too much with your hands causes me to shank it. While guiding the clubhead is not on a considtent arc towards the ball. I'd describe it more or less a result of casting the club.

Guiding and exessive hand action ocurs, when I slide to the target instead of turning through.

Edited by Petter Player, 18 July 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#16 CosmosMpower

CosmosMpower

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59034
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

Go hit balls with a dead shut clubface, I tried everything and this was the only fix.  It's really hard to hit the hosel with a closed face.  You may hit pulls but it will cure you and then you can fix the face angle problem.
TM SLDR 430 TP 10.5 DI-6s
TM SLDR Mini TP 14* DI-6s
TM SLDR 21* Black Tie hM3 95s
TM Speedblades 4-AW C-Taper 90s
Ping Gorge 50/54/58
Ping Anser IWI

#17 Mcgeeno

Mcgeeno

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144643
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

I consider myself a good player, and have been right there with you man.

Embarrasing, discouraging and definitely a tough time for any player to battle though.

For me..It was a balance problem. I had most of my weight on my heels and it was causing me the club and body to pull towards where my weight was (Making it hit of the hosel).

I worked hard and figure it out over a tough couple of weeks.

Some things I did:

* Tried to take 1/4 or 2/3 swings to get everything working in unison
* Rebuilt my setup: Balance, distance from the ball etc.
* Tried to hit full shots of the toe. (Although this seems like a temporary "mental fix")
* Put baby powder on the clubface in order to see where I was hitting on the face

Good luck man.

#18 Invincentble

Invincentble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125443
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostMcgeeno, on 19 July 2012 - 12:28 AM, said:

I consider myself a good player, and have been right there with you man.

Embarrasing, discouraging and definitely a tough time for any player to battle though.

For me..It was a balance problem. I had most of my weight on my heels and it was causing me the club and body to pull towards where my weight was (Making it hit of the hosel).

I worked hard and figure it out over a tough couple of weeks.

Some things I did:

* Tried to take 1/4 or 2/3 swings to get everything working in unison
* Rebuilt my setup: Balance, distance from the ball etc.
* Tried to hit full shots of the toe. (Although this seems like a temporary "mental fix")
* Put baby powder on the clubface in order to see where I was hitting on the face

Good luck man.

Did you mean weight on your toes? Weight on heels should cause you to either toe or thin the shot.

#19 Mcgeeno

Mcgeeno

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144643
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostInvincentble, on 19 July 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

Did you mean weight on your toes? Weight on heels should cause you to either toe or thin the shot.

Yes I did, sorry.

#20 Petter Player

Petter Player

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70069
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

Try to hit with the hosel on purpose. Let us know, what turned out.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 MDP1555

MDP1555

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165719
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostLong and Wrong Nick, on 14 July 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

My personal favorite cure (specially for those wedges) is to actually line the ball up of the heel.. then attempt to hit it a bit off the toe...

you really did not just suggest this this did you ? :scare2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors