Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What should my next move be?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CSchnee

CSchnee

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138338
  • Handicap:7.0
  • Ebay ID:pinnacle27201
GolfWRX Likes : 403

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the forum, but have been poking around for a while. A little bit of background on me and my game, I'm 20 years old and just picked up the game last June. I'm playing to a 3.6 handicap right now, and improving steadily. I've never played competitive golf, but would love to see how far it can take me. I'm a college student at Northeastern and am going to try to join their club team since they don't have a varsity team. I practice 4+ days a week for 3-4 hours each day (basically whenever I'm not working).

That being said, I live in the Northeast, and don't go to a school that has a golf team/can't/won't transfer (again) and am not sure where to look to start playing competitive golf. Other than a local county tournament, is there anywhere I should look to play competitively? I love the feeling of pressure situations (I tend to gamble on the course and play skins quite a bit) and would love to see where my game can take me.

I completely understand that the deck is stacked against me as far as caliber of talent of tour players, limited spots, whatnot, but I feel like I have some semblance of natural ability for this game.

Any suggestions on where I should go next?

Oh and if this helps,

My stats:

Driving: Average drive 275-285
Irons: Solid contact, great distance
Putting: one of my strong points I'd say
Chipping: not the best, but working hard
Sand play: Average, but improving steadily

Thanks guys,

-Chris

Cobra Bio Cell Pro Diamana S+ 72
13* Callaway Xhot Pro 3 deep, 4 wood
3-PW Cobra Amp Cell Pro, S300
Callaway Copper Forged Wedges 52, 58
In the Market for a New Putter
Taylormade Lethal
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 YoungGunner

YoungGunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 160949
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Check your state's amateur golf association. Every state has amateur tournaments hosted by the PGA chapter of your state. If there are none, look for competitive amateur events such as GolfWeek Amateur Tour or Golf Channel Am Tour. This will get you into playing competitively with other players of similar caliber. Dominate in those and play at local country club's money games and get good with the members. The relationships you build on the golf course with the right people may pave the way to your future endeavor.

#3 golfinguru11

golfinguru11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193750
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:00 AM

^^^^
great advice

#4 CSchnee

CSchnee

Major Winner

• 1,737 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostYoungGunner, on 23 July 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

Check your state's amateur golf association. Every state has amateur tournaments hosted by the PGA chapter of your state. If there are none, look for competitive amateur events such as GolfWeek Amateur Tour or Golf Channel Am Tour. This will get you into playing competitively with other players of similar caliber. Dominate in those and play at local country club's money games and get good with the members. The relationships you build on the golf course with the right people may pave the way to your future endeavor.

Thanks for the awesome advice! I've checked out my state's amateur association and will be joining. I've joined a men's league at my club and have joined money games to create some pressure situations. I'll be playing golf for my college's club team this fall in about 7 4-day tournaments so that should get me going quite nicely. Things might be difficult trying to practice in Boston but I hear there's an indoor range with AboutGolf simulators so that should help me work on my game. Thanks again!
Taylormade Lethal
WITB Link

#5 generaljhc

generaljhc

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93095
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

Might check into New England PGA section tournaments and see if they have "open" tournaments. Play in the Mass Open, also check to see if you can find city opens...for example Atlanta has the Yamaha Atlanta Open which is a 54 hole event. You will most likely have to qualify for the State Am and the various opens, but worth your while......normally in an open the Ams that make cut (or a certain #) get gift certificates to the pro shop. The Ga Open certificates ranged from $125 to $750...... I would suspect you can find a lot of opportunities to play in Am events.

Edited by generaljhc, 18 August 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#6 Matriga

Matriga

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95134
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

CSchneeweiss, am I wrong or you got down from 36 to 3.6 hcp in one month?

#7 Hankthetank94

Hankthetank94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206497
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

^ Some people just have it... And yeah I would say check your local golf association page for any tournaments up and coming. Basically play on a lot of different venues against a lot of different people. The more experience the better. If you're really serious about it, join a PGM program and become an a**. pro or club professional and move south - then go from there...

Good luck
regards,
hankthetank94

#8 CSchnee

CSchnee

Major Winner

• 1,737 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

View PostMatriga, on 09 October 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

CSchneeweiss, am I wrong or you got down from 36 to 3.6 hcp in one month?

I don't know exactly what you're referring to. I started playing May of 2011, and never calculated a handicap then. When my handicap was calculated in late August, I was a 3.6. I don't know what the month you're talking about is. I didn't mean it as a passive brag. I'm really sorry if it came off that way, but I just wanted some advice based on my actual situation, not some hypothetical.

If you don't believe that I lowered my handicap that much it's fine, but I basically lived at the golf course for 6 months. I took a semester off from college while transferring schools, and took online courses at night and spent my days at the course or at work.

Anyway,

I made my school's club golf team and the tournaments really are giving me a crash course in competitive golf. I have to say, my scores are a little higher in the tournaments than my friendly matches, but I really do love the atmosphere.

Edited by CSchneeweiss, 15 October 2012 - 09:12 AM.

Taylormade Lethal
WITB Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors