Best golf shot you ever made
Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:12 PM
Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:16 PM
Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:53 PM
Best part was I nearly had a gallery. A 4some had gone out before us but were slow, and they were politely waiting on the 2nd tee box to let us go through so they were all watching. A few of them shook my hand as we played through.
Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:11 AM
Back in 1982, the last time I played with my dad who just joined me for the ride around the course....hit my first shot with a new sand iron...a sand shot from 30yds out to 3 feet and made the putt for a bird...I still have that wedge...
And then I was once playng with a kid who had just muffed a greenside chip on the other side of the green while I was digging in a trap for my blast...
I told him to come over and just said that you can't play scared...out of the trap you have to slap the sand with confidence I said, and then proceded to hole out the shot...
Great shots are good shots made under pressure....like the time the foresome was 3 on the island green and me in the trap 1st hitting from 60'...and blasted to 3'
...then had to watch 2 birds and a par made...
I made my 3 footer for a group 2 under par on a very difficult hole...
Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:32 AM
Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:36 AM
520 yard par 5, uphill for 250 yards and then levels out, then there is a pond that stretches roughly from the 200 yard marker up to the 100 yard marker. Headwind, and it's just starting to rain. I hit a weak drive that didn't quite clear the top of the hill. I put my second shot in the water, and drop with about 210 to the pin. Right at that moment the headwind picks way up and the rain really starts coming down. I think to myself, "great, here we go again" as I pull out my 3W. Take a deep breath, swing easy, and hit a slight fade that sticks 2 feet from the hole for a tap-in par.
Really upped my confidence to finish strong and break my best score.
TEE XCG-3 16.5* 4W
Titleist 909H 19*
Adams Idea Black CB3 4-GW
Mizuno MP T-11 56-13, 60-08
Cleveland Classic Black Platinum #3
Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:45 PM
Well i was in a tournament, slice a driver about 50 yards right. lol . I had 160 in, 2 inch rough with the ball not sitting up, nor sitting down. I needed to carry it about 150 over a bunker. I hit a punch draw 4 iron, through a gap about the size of 1.5 windshields. perfect, draws about 15 yards, ends up about 7 feet away. Of course the putt was about 3 feet outside right, and i missed the birdie.
Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:05 PM
Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:29 PM
My best is a 3-iron..................jarred from 228yds. (after a bad tee shot on a par4)...LOL
Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:06 PM
Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:35 PM
Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:58 AM
Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:31 AM
Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:56 AM
1. Holed out from 155 for eagle on the first hole of a tournament. Nothing all that special or challenging about the shot--just a plain old 8 iron from the fairway, but it was pretty cool.
2. 5 iron from 215ish to about a foot for a kick-in eagle, my first on a par 5, and part of a round in which I was 4 under after 6 holes and ended up shooting a 34 for my best nine ever.
3. Was playing at a course in NC on spring break, and I duffed my drive (no idea how...) about 50 yards onto the ladies tee. With a perfect lie on the tee and like 240 to the pin, I pull 16* hybrid and hit what I still think is the purest shot of my life, a towering draw that just barely flies the greenside bunker, lands soft, and rolls to about 15 feet. While the group ahead of us was still putting... And to top it off, I made the birdie.
4. When I was a kid, we had a huge rhododendron bush in our yard, and I would always drop balls near it and see how close I could get and still be able to flop it over. I did this all summer for years. One day, I was out playing a round and went for the green on a par 5, only to end up behind the green with a tall pine tree between me and the pin. Something in my mind clicked and I thought "oh wow. you've got this shot," and wouldn't you know I flop it way up over the tree to 5 feet and make the birdie. I'd literally been practicing that exact shot for years and finally got to use it on the course...
Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:09 PM
And this last week, drove a 240 par 4 with my RBZ 3T, within about 4 ft from the hole. Missed the eagle.
Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:35 PM
I put my second shot right of a green-side bunker with a deep, deep lip. That day, the pin was cut into a narrow lip of the green jutting between the bunker and a steep drop-off. This left very little space to land a high lob. My playing partner proceeded to tell me that he had this shot once. He bladed his shot and buried the mishit into the face of the bunker. He claimed it took him three shots to get out of the trap and two putts to finish the hole - all this just before I hit my shot. With this wonderful swing thought in my head, I lofted a lovely shot over the bunker with my 58* and hit the pin. The ball landed about 18"s from the pin. Maybe not the very best shot I ever hit but given the circumstances, it was probably my most memorable one. There is something wonderful about sticking one on the green and in a blow-hards face.
Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:59 AM
Middle of winter, freezing cold, raining, hitting straight in to a 20mph wind. There is a bunker front left, and the pin was directly behind it, maybe 5 yards on.
My playing partners and I were discussing the best way to play the hole, and the general consensus was that it would be pretty much impossible to hit it close. I said that instead of trying to hit the ball low in to the green, I was going to hit it as high as possible, making the wind stall it and hopefully make it land soft. With this I pulled out my 3 iron and hit it as hard as I could. It started out just left of the green on a high trajectory with a slight draw, and hung up in the air for ages, then all of a sudden it dropped down, about 3 feet from the pin and stopped dead. Rattled the putt in for birdie too.
Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:07 AM
I hooked a 6 iron and it landed in the bin (trash can) by the 12th tee.
Edited by PaddyK, 05 September 2012 - 09:07 AM.
Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:24 AM
So, here are a couple of crackers that stick in the memory from this year;
1. Hole 6, Hindhead Golf Club, Surrey.
Par 3, 139 yards off the yellow tees. Perfect golf weather – not a breath of wind and the sun shining. The hole plays massively downhill so it’s always a lot less club than you think. Decided to control a 3/4 9 iron with a gentle fade. Struck it beautifully. The ball made a gentle fade toward the pin, pitched about 10 ft behind the hole and rolled back off of the slope to within 3 feet.
2. Hole 7, Chigwell Golf Club, Essex (my home course).
Par 4, 363 from the back tees. Blocked my tee shot out right into the trees which left me with somewhat of a tricky 130yd shot to a green protected by a large tree to the left. Because I was in the trees I had an overhanging tree directly in front of me to deal with, plus a restricted swing. Very bare lie, so I choked down on a 4 iron, opening the face playing the ball off of my back foot keeping my hands forward and cutting across the ball. I was trying to hit a low punch with a fade. I did. Perfectly to about 3 feet from the flag. I love shot making.
Edited by Yant, 06 September 2012 - 08:28 AM.
Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:27 AM