Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

maxfli u/4x

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 sigmamason

sigmamason

SigmaMason

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1108
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Anybody use this ball? Any thoughts?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Dei3Nascar8

Dei3Nascar8

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79575
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:01 AM

Another overlooked ball.  Great distance and even better spin.  I spin the U/4 and U/4x more than any other ball combination.  I am not a fan of the U/4 off the driver but enjoy the U/4x.  The covers are stickier on these balls than others I have used and I think that gives you more spin on chips and pitches.  I play in a league on a drive and chip course and they have the hardest greens/ground.  I get good bite with these around the green when nothing else will check.  A great option if they would drop price to $30/doz.  At $40 I will stick with the Z-Star.

#3 Double K

Double K

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187556
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

Does anyone know if you can get these in Canada? I sent a message to the Maxfli Twitter account but they did not respond.
Titleist 913D2 Whiteboard X-flex
Titliest 913F 15* Project X X-flex
Adams 22 Hybrid
Titleist 710 AP2 4 - AW
Cleveland DSG 54 and 58
Scotty FuturaX

#4 Minarets

Minarets

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28043
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

This ball would be mine if/when Dicks finnaly drops them to $30/doz. Thry should be priced no more that $35 imo, being a house brand.

Its a great ball, but to save $5, ill stick with what I know and trust.
Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
Putter: SeeMore mFGP
Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV

#5 glenn hough

glenn hough

• 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87050
  • Ebay ID:glennhough
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

They are $35/ doz at Dicks, here in Charlotte, or you can buy the 6-pack for $15. I just picked up the U4X to try.

#6 barkydog1

barkydog1

Barkydog1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144563
  • Ebay ID:barkydogshapes

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Seems like a good ball, very nice feeling, tacky urethane cover.  I picked a couple up on the course and I'll give them a shot.

#7 tnord

tnord

Good job on the anchor, now dial back the ball!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129799
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

i played a full 18 with a single U4 today after getting a free 6 pack from GG yesterday. as others noted, i immediately noticed the almost tacky cover.  i spun the crap out of these things....too much i think. i'd hit dead-handed 3/4 gap wedges that would still spin back 12-15ft where my penta might come back 5-8ft. it didn't just happen once either, and my playing partners made comments about how much i was pulling the ball back today. even a 3/4 low drawing 8i spun back on me.  i also think they're shorter in distance than my usual penta.

if i was going to play the maxfli, i'd for sure go with the u4x rather than the u4.  i might use the rest of these in practice rounds, but most likely they'll get tossed into the shag bag.  they are durable though for how much spin you get, i didn't notice any scuffs or anything after a full 18 holes.

Edited by tnord, 29 July 2012 - 03:37 PM.

Nike VR Tour 9.5 VTS Silver 6x
Nike VR Pro Ltd Ed 15 VTS Black SPX 7x
Adams Super Hybrid 17 VTS Silver 75x
Ping S56/S300 or VR Pro Blades/X100
Ping Redwood ZB
TourS 52&58 or VR 52&58

#8 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 561

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

Too high to try.

#9 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138522
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

View Postglenn hough, on 27 July 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

They are $35/ doz at Dicks, here in Charlotte, or you can buy the 6-pack for $15. I just picked up the U4X to try.

Just a suggestion, but just buy 2 6 packs...

#10 gopherguts

gopherguts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157681
GolfWRX Likes : 120

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

View PostDei3Nascar8, on 30 June 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

Another overlooked ball.  Great distance and even better spin.  I spin the U/4 and U/4x more than any other ball combination.  I am not a fan of the U/4 off the driver but enjoy the U/4x.  The covers are stickier on these balls than others I have used and I think that gives you more spin on chips and pitches.  I play in a league on a drive and chip course and they have the hardest greens/ground.  I get good bite with these around the green when nothing else will check.  A great option if they would drop price to $30/doz.  At $40 I will stick with the Z-Star.

View PostMinarets, on 01 July 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

This ball would be mine if/when Dicks finnaly drops them to $30/doz. Thry should be priced no more that $35 imo, being a house brand.

Your kind just kill me.

i KNOW gol fis expensive. But you pay a MINIMUM of $20 to play, probably more like $40-$80.

And you won't spend an extra 50-75 CENTS on a ball ??? :shok:

Or you won't pay the price because another "more" premium sells at the same price,,,,,, even though this one works better for you ? :rolleyes:

You just can't make this stuff up !!! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Edited by gopherguts, 29 July 2012 - 07:14 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Dei3Nascar8

Dei3Nascar8

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79575

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

View Postgopherguts, on 29 July 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

View PostDei3Nascar8, on 30 June 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

View PostMinarets, on 01 July 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

Your kind just kill me.

i KNOW gol fis expensive. But you pay a MINIMUM of $20 to play, probably more like $40-$80.

And you won't spend an extra 50-75 CENTS on a ball ??? :shok:

Or you won't pay the price because another "more" premium sells at the same price,,,,,, even though this one works better for you ? :rolleyes:

You just can't make this stuff up !!! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

I didn't mean that I won't play it because it costs $40 but at $30 it would be an intriguing option.  I have 18 dozen Z-Stars that I bought for $20 a box when they got clearanced last winter.  So I'm not going to spend more $ on new balls when I have plenty of the Z-Stars available.  Looking at market share alone Maxfli does not have the name/players/popularity of the Pro V1 so why are they nearly identical in price.  Want to sell more balls make them worth trying at a great price.  Play what ya like and for me in the same price range I like the Z-Star.  If the Z-Star was $50 and the U/4X were $25 the U/4X would be my ball.  Maxfli has a great ball here that I don't think will get the credit because it does not say Titleist / Bridgestone / Nike on the side.

#12 chilidip

chilidip

UNITY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92641
  • Ebay ID:kranicar
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

I played 18 holes yesterday with the u/4x.  I have to say that I am not the longest driver in my regular 4some being 10 years older than the other 3.  But yesterday, I was hitting the fairway consistently and longer straighter than anyone.  I tend to push my drives right.  Not a slice but I consistent push.  Not anymore with this ball, it flew straighter than a preachers d**k..  It feels great off the driver and it is long!  From the fairway, the u/4x had a great feel off both fairway woods and irons.  The ball will hunker down once it lands.  It has a great feel off wedges and really spins. Not too much spin but very much like a ProV1.  This ball is just as good as any other premium ball made today and I have played and enjoyed them all. Add this one to your list because it is a very good performer. It was pretty durable too. I use a no conforming 56 degree callaway with Mack Daddy grooves that usually rips up covers. This ball (along with the Srixon Z-Star) are the only balls that dont shed their skins with this club for me.   My swing preed is 95MPH.  I will use this ball for the rest of the year after I go through the 2 dozen Hex Blacks I just bought for 27.30 per dozen which is an awesome deal.   Hope this helps some of you who were curious about the Maxfli.  Really a nice performing ball!

#13 gopherguts

gopherguts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157681
GolfWRX Likes : 120

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

View Postchilidip, on 30 July 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

I played 18 holes yesterday with the u/4x.  I have to say that I am not the longest driver in my regular 4some being 10 years older than the other 3.  But yesterday, I was hitting the fairway consistently and longer straighter than anyone.  I tend to push my drives right.  Not a slice but I consistent push.  Not anymore with this ball, it flew straighter than a preachers d**k..  It feels great off the driver and it is long!  From the fairway, the u/4x had a great feel off both fairway woods and irons.  The ball will hunker down once it lands.  It has a great feel off wedges and really spins. Not too much spin but very much like a ProV1.  This ball is just as good as any other premium ball made today and I have played and enjoyed them all. Add this one to your list because it is a very good performer. It was pretty durable too. I use a no conforming 56 degree callaway with Mack Daddy grooves that usually rips up covers. This ball (along with the Srixon Z-Star) are the only balls that dont shed their skins with this club for me.   My swing preed is 95MPH.  I will use this ball for the rest of the year after I go through the 2 dozen Hex Blacks I just bought for 27.30 per dozen which is an awesome deal.   Hope this helps some of you who were curious about the Maxfli.  Really a nice performing ball!

Not to take any wind out of your sails but if you "push" and the ball doesn't curve, is ain't the ball, it's your club face.

But thanks for the "review". Maybe I'll give them a try. I've been hesitant because I don't want to buy a dozen just to try a couple. The stores that sell balls by the sleeve don't have Maxfli. GG has Maxfli but doesn't sell by the sleeve.

#14 chilidip

chilidip

UNITY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92641
  • Ebay ID:kranicar
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Yep, you are right, I consistently hit the ball with my driver with a slightly open club face it curves a little.  I believe the ball helped correct as it is a low spinner off the driver. Either way, I think the ball along with my driver (G15) helped correcting my operator error.

#15 RNT golf

RNT golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147931
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

I tried the U/4x today and I feel like the ball played  inconsistant.  Out of the sleeve of three, two felt heavy and one felt solid.   However, even on solid hits, the ball was a good ten yards shorter then the Callaway Black tour.  I was really hoping I would like this ball thinking that they would go on sale at the end of the year like previous models.

#16 therusty

therusty

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86546
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

I've tried the U4 and the U4X. At first the U4x felt like a rock, then I fixed my awful swing and then it felt gooood. The U4X was really long for me (3-5% increase in distance from irons through driver), but I was not swinging consistently enough to get better average results compared to other tour balls (my issue). The U4 is right up there with other tour balls for distance and spin. It's good but not a standout.

Verdict 1: If you've got a swing speed over 100 and want a straighter flight/distance, try the U4x.
Verdict 2: U4 is not different enough to justify full price purchases
Prediction: End of season sales will be quiet and small

#17 jldavis73

jldavis73

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109897
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

My favorite golf ball of all time is the u4/x.  Great distance, firm feel, plenty of spin around the green.  I realize it won't work for everyone, but it's worth a try.  I think it has the best trajectory of any ball, too.  I have a pretty decent amount of clubhead speed, and his baby is like hitting dynamite.
Cleveland Classic XL 10.5*/Phenom NL
Cleveland Classic XL 14*/Black Tie
Callaway X Utility/KBS Tour
Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour 3-PW/X200
588 RTX CB 52*/58*; xFT 64*
Odyssey Backstryke Sabretooth/Mid-Slim 2

#18 Adamsguy

Adamsguy

Advanced

• 273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91942
  • Ebay ID:smeiska123
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

I see Dicks has the U4 and U4X on sale. The 6 packs are going for $14.99. Load it while they last. Plus free shipping over $99.

#19 Redhill

Redhill

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73020
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:12 AM

I tried out a 4 pack I was given at GG that had the U2, U3, U4, U4X in it.  I was gently impressed with all the balls in comparison to my XV's but found a liking more towards the extremes of the U2 and the U4X.

As a buget ball the U2 has my attention but the U4X does not compete, for me, with the other premium balls out there ......yet.   It is a Dick's house brand ball and may change/improve in the future.

#20 byatesg5

byatesg5

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114031
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

Just left local Dicks and the had the U4 six pack balls for 9.99.  I wanted to try some but the did not have the X version.  For anyone who likes this bal youl might want to check out your area store to see if they have the same deal.  Dozen were price at 34.99.  I would just buy 2 of the six packs and save 15 bucks.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 jrharden

jrharden

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133781
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

I played the U4 yesterday and was really impressed with this ball. I picked up one of the six packs for $9.99 at Dick's and may go back for more. The ball felt great off all clubs and had a ton of spin, I even had a few back up on the greens which I never do. I may try the U4x to see if there's a big difference, but for the price of the six packs I don't think it can be beat.

#22 jldavis73

jldavis73

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109897
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

View Postjrharden, on 08 October 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

I played the U4 yesterday and was really impressed with this ball. I picked up one of the six packs for $9.99 at Dick's and may go back for more. The ball felt great off all clubs and had a ton of spin, I even had a few back up on the greens which I never do. I may try the U4x to see if there's a big difference, but for the price of the six packs I don't think it can be beat.
The X model should be less spinny, slightly firmer.  You can't go wrong at $19.98/dozen!
Cleveland Classic XL 10.5*/Phenom NL
Cleveland Classic XL 14*/Black Tie
Callaway X Utility/KBS Tour
Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour 3-PW/X200
588 RTX CB 52*/58*; xFT 64*
Odyssey Backstryke Sabretooth/Mid-Slim 2

#23 jrharden

jrharden

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Does anyone know the compression for the U4 & U4x?

#24 jrharden

jrharden

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Well I was just told in an email from Golf Galaxy that they are no longer going to be carrying this ball.

#25 Redhill

Redhill

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73020
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

View Postjrharden, on 08 October 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Well I was just told in an email from Golf Galaxy that they are no longer going to be carrying this ball.

Thanks for that info.  That is surprising as I thought a new ball life was at least 2 seasons.  GG and Dick's own Maxfli and must have seen the sales volume tank on that ball.  If I remember correctly the U4X came out at a price point of $39.99, which puts it in the price neighborhood of some elite proven golf balls.  Tought market to penetrate.

My guess is that early next spring there will be a new Maxfli offering.

#26 jrharden

jrharden

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostRedhill, on 08 October 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

View Postjrharden, on 08 October 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Thanks for that info.  That is surprising as I thought a new ball life was at least 2 seasons.  GG and Dick's own Maxfli and must have seen the sales volume tank on that ball.  If I remember correctly the U4X came out at a price point of $39.99, which puts it in the price neighborhood of some elite proven golf balls.  Tought market to penetrate.

My guess is that early next spring there will be a new Maxfli offering.
That was my thought too. I happened to try this ball on a fluke as I got invited to play on a Saturday night at 7:30 and my local shop was closed. I went into Dick's and bought these because I didn't want to buy a dozen with only a few weeks left in the season here in Minnesota. I will say I was impressed and may have to convince my wife to let me buy up the six ball packs here.

Edited by jrharden, 08 October 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#27 Rusty Spokes

Rusty Spokes

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 188704

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Just got two six packs..umm, that is, I mean two half dozen $9.99 boxes of the Maxfli U/4s. Look forward to trying them. $19.98 a dozen it is a no brainer. There were a good supply of both the U/4 and U/4x on the shelf. If the balls are being discontinued..look for a blow out price coming soon. With your most recent Dicks cash register receipt  do a survey on the Dicks website and get a $10 off next purchase of $50 or more coupon. Makes these golf balls a very good deal.

#28 ceasterb

ceasterb

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103497
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

View PostRusty Spokes, on 09 October 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

Just got two six packs..umm, that is, I mean two half dozen $9.99 boxes of the Maxfli U/4s. Look forward to trying them. $19.98 a dozen it is a no brainer. There were a good supply of both the U/4 and U/4x on the shelf. If the balls are being discontinued..look for a blow out price coming soon. With your most recent Dicks cash register receipt  do a survey on the Dicks website and get a $10 off next purchase of $50 or more coupon. Makes these golf balls a very good deal.
Please give your thoughts on the ball after you've played it. . . Thanks.
Callaway Xhot2 9.5* stiff
Adams Speedline 3 wood
Ping G20 20*, Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 4 iron
Titleist 712 MBs 5-PW w/ SM4 wedges
Kari Lajosi Damascus steel w/black oxide
Titleist SM4 56* & 60*

#29 Rusty Spokes

Rusty Spokes

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 188704

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

A few observations on the U/4. I have one round in with them. My usual ball is a TF GamerV2 or a Wilson Staff Zip.. 60yo with a 98mph sw..unless I really give it a hard swing..then it is 88mph:)

First tee is a tough, pretty narrow, long hilly par 4 (Stone Mountain Stonemont) probably one of the toughest first tee shots, especially after a good rain, which we had just had the night before. Playing with one of my long term golf buddies, younger and pretty long off the tee most of the time. Took my easy swing and hit a nice draw down the middle, good elevation still soaring over the first hill and out of view. My partner hits next, ProV1, his usual ball. He hits his typical great drive, lower trajectory slightly off line out of view over the hill but most certainly still fine on the left side of the fairway. Off we go..

Cresting the hill (the first hole is cart path only) we find both balls resting within a few yards of each other. I'm pleased as I am usually ten or fifteen yards behind his tee shots. He compliments my drive and we proceed to our balls at about 160 yards, equipment in hand for the next shot. I walk up to the away ball..it is his Pro V. He is mildly surprised being away..even if it only a few yards. We both hit second shots with my shot again drawing left more than I anticipated and landing left of the green, just off a yard or two. I chip up..thinking the ball might "bite" hit it just a little firmer than usual, however, the ball doesn't grab and rolls ten feet past the hole. Two putts later, a bogey.

The second hole is an amusing risk/rewards 270 yard par four, the green well protected by bunkers with the flag visible from the tee box, dogleg left and tall southern pines guarding the left side, which incorporates a deep bunker 80 yards from the target in the fairway..

My partner typically takes his driver out on this hole and today is no exception..he hits a smooth drive just to the outside right of the green, over a sentinel bunker and landing on the turf then a bounce into the pines backside 10 yards right of the green. I play a five iron down the middle, drawing again more than expected and just fine on the left side just 10 yards short of the deep 80 yard bunker. Next shot is either a sand wedge or gap wedge..depending on the pin on the rather lengthy green. The flag is close today so I give the sand wedge a good swing, the ball tracks towards the target breaking slightly left and out of view over the bunker.

I'm confident as we roll up to the green and see my ball just off, short. Well..

My partner chips out of the jungle. and I have a short bump over the shoulder of the green with a few yards to the hole. Walking up to scrutinize  the best line..I see my ball mark on the green, pin high and left. My ball had spun back off the green with some vigor, which is unusual.

By now, with the exception of the chip on the first hole, I have concluded that this is a very aggressive spinning ball. With this in mind I again play a short chip up with a firmer shot and disappointingly see the ball roll ten feet past the hole with little bite. Two putts later..a bogey.

And so the round went on. The conclusion I have come to is the U/4 is long off the driver. I use a Bobby Jones Players 9.5 with a stiff shaft. This driver is low spin by its nature and the U/4 was elevating/spinning the shots more than is customary, however the overall trajectory and result is fine. My SS being modest, I think U/4 may be a better ball for me than the U/4x based on the reputation of the U/4x being firmer, the reason I made the U/4 purchase.. The report on impact with the driver is slightly louder. It is a firmer ball than my usual eggs.

Mishits with the irons result in a shot exaggeration  a draw becomes a hook, a fade becomes a slice. Again, it is a very spinning ball. You can quickly feel and hear a good iron shot  with the ball compressing and the nice audible report from the ball. Mishits are very unsatisfying. Full shots into the green with a long iron or wood will quickly stop or, with the short irons, race back enthusiastically. I have yet to master the short delicate chip with this ball..it may be the wet conditions or my worn wedge grooves. Out of a sand bunker to a short pin position, they spin predictably back three feet.

Putting was fine. Firmer and consistent. No complaints with the exception that they did not find the bottom of the hole more often than any other ball.

As I usually play a more economical ball, the U/4 will take some time to get used to, as it is a ball designed for serious play. While I do play for shot shapes, this ball is sensitive. Your modest right to left shot can find trouble quickly and unexpectedly.  The ball is durable. No unusual damage to the cover or wear in play. The balls seem consistent in manufacture, at least between the two packages I have. The ball is not a disappointment for length off the tee or in play with the irons. Longer off the driver. slightly longer off the three/five woods and just about the same with the irons. Trajectory is higher with no problems.

As always, an easy swing produces the best results, particularly with the U/4.

Edited by Rusty Spokes, 18 October 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#30 Hakko

Hakko

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142691
  • Handicap:6.6
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Was just in GG today. U/4 and U/4x were on sale at 2/$50. They do seem to have the tackiest covers, but I haven't been able to play them for any appreciable amount of time. The ones I had in the sample pack I got earlier this year met swift and watery deaths (well, one was watery, the other kind of woody). Not the arrow, the Indian.

Adams Super LS 9.5*, UST VTS Tour 6.2 S
Ping i20 15*, UST VTS Tour S
Titleist 910h 19*, Diamana Kai'li S
Ping i20 4-PW, KBS Tour S
Scor 51*, 55*, 59*, KBS Genius 120g
Seemore M3, 35"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors