Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

PX 5.5 vs. KBS Tour Stiff

Differences?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gbh00

gbh00

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140729
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

Guys, I'm stuck between these two shafts for my new iron set. Currently, I have NS Pro 105 gram Stiff steel shafts in my current set. I'm looking for something a bit heavier, with a little lower trajectory.
   After trying several shafts, I was most happy with the Project X 5.5 and the KBS Tour Stiff. The KBS clearly feels better to me, but the PX 5.5. is launching lower and spinning less on the launch monitor. Thing is that the PX doesnt feel nearly as smooth and nice as the KBS. My 6 iron swing speed is around 83 mph. Any thoughts? Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Ajlepisto

Ajlepisto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177842
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

I have the PX 5.5 in my MP69's. Granted, my swing speed is higher (90mph) but I think they feel really nice. I went with them because even with a blade, I tend to have a high ball flight and I wanted to get a more driven ballflight. The PX has achieved that for me. I'd recommend trying maybe a 5.0 to see if that's better? If available...depending on how you work the shaft, you may be looking too stiff. For example, I can load and swing the PX 6.0 just fine, but with an even tempo, I can get away with a lighter shaft that offers more "forgiveness."

#3 lenrex

lenrex

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18726
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

View Postgbh00, on 29 June 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

Guys, I'm stuck between these two shafts for my new iron set. Currently, I have NS Pro 105 gram Stiff steel shafts in my current set. I'm looking for something a bit heavier, with a little lower trajectory.
   After trying several shafts, I was most happy with the Project X 5.5 and the KBS Tour Stiff. The KBS clearly feels better to me, but the PX 5.5. is launching lower and spinning less on the launch monitor. Thing is that the PX doesnt feel nearly as smooth and nice as the KBS. My 6 iron swing speed is around 83 mph. Any thoughts? Thanks

If you like the feel of stepped shafts, I'd stick with them.  Why not hard step some S300's; if you want a lower flight.  I like my KBS Tour S's for the most part, I might hit them too high on occasion or pull them from time to time.  I'm not sure what my swing speed is, but I hit 6 iron about 180-185 max.  But I've never hit Nippon's so I don't have a baseline to judge what you've got.

I've had wedges with PX 5.5's and they felt boardy.  I haven't played anything in the mid irons, but I did build a 2 iron with a PX 5.5 and I couldn't get it in the air to save my life (off a tee even)

#4 Golfnutintib

Golfnutintib

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20054
  • Ebay ID:golfnutintib
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

In terms of feel I would rank the Nippons first, then KBS a close second, then the PX's a distant third.  Having said that, my swingspeed is medium-fast, and I have been told the PX's come alive with harder swingers.

View Postlenrex, on 30 June 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

View Postgbh00, on 29 June 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

If you like the feel of stepped shafts, I'd stick with them.  Why not hard step some S300's; if you want a lower flight.  I like my KBS Tour S's for the most part, I might hit them too high on occasion or pull them from time to time.  I'm not sure what my swing speed is, but I hit 6 iron about 180-185 max.  But I've never hit Nippon's so I don't have a baseline to judge what you've got.

I've had wedges with PX 5.5's and they felt boardy.  I haven't played anything in the mid irons, but I did build a 2 iron with a PX 5.5 and I couldn't get it in the air to save my life (off a tee even)

#5 TPDawnPatrol

TPDawnPatrol

TPDawnPatrol

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100405
  • Ebay ID:torreyrat
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

You could try the KBS C Tapers for lower launch and spin, you may like the feel better.  Same guy designed both.

#6 Brettasaurus

Brettasaurus

Tour Winner

• 719 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93148
  • Ebay ID:edwardthemonarch73
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

Most people that I have talked to either love or hate the PX feel. Some, like me, wonder how something that feels so stiff and harsh can have such a high ball flight. This is true even with the non-flighted models. Also, most people seem to like the feel of the KBS but some hate the higher flight and higher spin. The truth is that you have to hit them on LMs, outside and test them to see what fits you best. No two swings are exactly the same so YMMV.

#7 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,457 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 803

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

I think both those shafts are too stiff for an 83mph swing speed unless you have a very aggressive and choppy swing.  I'd go with at least one flex softer.

#8 deck

deck

RocketBladez Grandprize Winner

• 3,503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123347
  • Handicap:8.7
  • Ebay ID:deck607
GolfWRX Likes : 826

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

I have had all three you want to Try and for my swing the kbs felt great. I hated the px 5.5's. Just felt harsh. My swing speed is similar to yours. I have the kbs in reg+ and they are exactly what I needed. Great flight and nice dispersion.

The nippons are very comparable IMO to the kbs.

Edited by deck, 30 June 2012 - 10:04 AM.

BB Alpha Fubuki 10'
Big Bertha 15 ATX Green S
X2Hot 22 ATX Green S
Titleist 710 ap2's 5-W dgs300
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
Mxm 7 versa 34

#9 lbhitter

lbhitter

BadaPing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2346
  • Ebay ID:LBHITTER
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

Here are a couple of more options.

1.  Go with PX5.5 and install a set of sensicore inserts -- you can purchase them from Golfworks.  I have used this option and it work great.

2.  Go with KB Tour but have a certified clubmaker install them.  They can use 41" blanks and cut them to achieve the desired flex and trajectory.  You can get KB feel with PX trajectory, and close to PX spin.  For example they can take a set of 120g blanks, but them to 5.5, and you will get a low-mid trajectory with low spin.

Good luck
LB
Ping G25 Diamana Blue
Ping G25 3w Diamana Blue
Callaway Steelhead 5w
Ping i25 Steelfiber
Ping Ketsch
Tour Gorge 50, 56  Eye2 60 / DGS200

#10 packman80

packman80

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139750
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

View Postlbhitter, on 30 June 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

Here are a couple of more options.

1.  Go with PX5.5 and install a set of sensicore inserts -- you can purchase them from Golfworks.  I have used this option and it work great.

2.  Go with KB Tour but have a certified clubmaker install them.  They can use 41" blanks and cut them to achieve the desired flex and trajectory.  You can get KB feel with PX trajectory, and close to PX spin.  For example they can take a set of 120g blanks, but them to 5.5, and you will get a low-mid trajectory with low spin.

Good luck
LB
That depends on what type of bore his iron head has; a .355t or a .370P. If they are .355t, he would have to get them bored/reamed out to a .370Parallel.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 lbhitter

lbhitter

BadaPing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2346
  • Ebay ID:LBHITTER
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

Sure, and good clubmaker can bore them to parallel.  I do it with a cordless drill and an iron vise.  Takes about 30secs per club head.
Ping G25 Diamana Blue
Ping G25 3w Diamana Blue
Callaway Steelhead 5w
Ping i25 Steelfiber
Ping Ketsch
Tour Gorge 50, 56  Eye2 60 / DGS200

#12 dunn

dunn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124833
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

i cant load a kbs stiff or a 5.5 px and i have slightly higher ss than you........must be loaded differently and i like a softer feel

Also tagged with Differences?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors