Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Top Connecticut Private Clubs???

38 replies to this topic

#1 dartboss04

dartboss04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166903
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

I've played my fair share of public courses in CT, but am branching out to the private clubs.  I have the opportunity to play quite a few through a traveling men's club, but I have to pick and choose.  Without leading anyone with the names, I'm just looking for a list of must play private clubs in CT.  I'm hoping to see some of those available to me on your favorites list.  The exclusivity honestly is a bit offputting for me, but my need for quality golf and trumps that.

I've played a few already, but most during my HS golf days quite a few years back now...

TPC River Highlands
Lake of Isles (South)
Farmington CC
Wampanoag
Chippanee

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 geoangus

geoangus

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132165
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

I haven't played too many, but Black Hall in Old Lyme is darn nice.  IIRC, it also hosted a few CT amateur championships.
913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
910H 19* / 913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Scotty Cameron Dual Balance Futura X
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*

#3 dartboss04

dartboss04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Not sure if that's on the schedule, but I'll have to check it out.  I'm playing Great Neck (formerly New London CC) in a couple weeks.

View Postgeoangus, on 26 June 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

I haven't played too many, but Black Hall in Old Lyme is darn nice.  IIRC, it also hosted a few CT amateur championships.

#4 geoangus

geoangus

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132165
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

Black Hall, tips 6656, 73/140 (slope/rating), white tees, 6262, 71.2/136.  Great test of golf, excellent conditions.

You might also check out Stonington Country Club.
913D3 9.5*
913F 15*
910H 19* / 913H 24*
712 AP2 5-PW
Scotty Cameron Dual Balance Futura X
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*

#5 connecticutgolfer

connecticutgolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23267
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

I second the nod to Stonington CC. I had the privledge of playing it quite a few times when I was stationed at the Coast Guard Academy.
Other nice private clubs I have played include:
Indian Hill
Hop Meadow
Oronoque
Mill River
Glastonbury CC

I have not played any private courses south of Fairfield and would have to imagine they are phenomenal

#6 Teetogreen86

Teetogreen86

Get after it.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5631
  • Ebay ID:Teetogreen86
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

The Farms in Wallingford is pretty good.  A buddy of mine is a member there and I'm playing in his member guest in a few weeks.  Two fairly different nines, but a very nice place.  Friendly staff.  Course is immaculate.  Great food.  Only downside is the driving range is nothing special.

Wallingford CC is great too.  Great variations in holes and layout.  Greens are always fantastic.  And every time I get to play there I usually beat my host(Golow).  No home course advantage. :rofl:

#7 JJK947

JJK947

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36028
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

I'm from the southeast and I have played Stonington and New London CC (great neck) many times each.  

IMO New London is a nice, interesting course but it is very short by today's standards and the main attraction was the conditions.  The Super they had there until the buyout was one of the best I've seen (he spent a lot of time at Bethpage before taking the NL job).  He could set that place up like you wouldn't believe, not coincidentally, very US-open style.  I haven't played it since he left last fall but I can't imagine it would be quite as good, you should have an enjoyable round there regardless though.

Stonington CC is a better course IMO, the layout is superior and the conditions weren't far behind if at all even with the Super than NL had.  Probably has some of the longest rough I have ever seen in a lot of spots on that course.  Every hole is pretty interesting with the back nine having a lot of character and variety.  Also not the longest by any means but they have lengthened it recently with some other major renovations and it protects itself much better than NL can.  The greens are some of the purest I have putted on.

Ellington ridge is another I have played that I would love to play again.  Black hall seems to be the cream of the crop in the southeast (along with LOI South); I had a chance to play it once but work got in the way.  If you have played LOI North, you're not really missing anything by not playing the South, the North layout is superior for me and others I know that have played both.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro - Diamana D+ 72
Callaway X2Hot Deep 12.5 - Tour Green 75
Mizuno 2010 Fli Hi 2, 3 -
Mizuno MP4 4-PW - True Temper Black Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 54S 60L- Dynamic Gold
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2
WITB Link

#8 connecticutgolfer

connecticutgolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23267

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

I do remember Ellington Ridge as being very nice.  I havent play Tumblebrook but hear good things.
Also, there is Waterbury and Watertown CC's

#9 Smithj36

Smithj36

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133541
  • Ebay ID:greenman45
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Anyone play Yale? I am playing there in a couple of weeks.
TM R11S Matrix RUL 60
RBZ Stage 2 Tour Matrix RUL 70
TM 11 Rescue TP Aldila Voodoo
Mizuno MP 53 4-PW
Mizuno MP T10 Wedges
Odyssey Pro Type Tour 9

#10 BTP

BTP

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126344
  • Handicap:5.4
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Quinnatisset CC in Thompson, CT if you're in the northeast area is fun. Great condition, greens roll pure and often roll to a 13 especially around tournament times.
Front 9 is more open while the back is tighter as trees line each fairway. The rough is not very thick. The course's defense is the wind, quick greens, and tough location of pins.
Anyone can play 18 with a member for $50. I would say it is worth it especially at least once.

TM SF Burner TP 10.5 - GD Tour AD-DI 6s
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5* - Speeder 757
910H 21*, 24* - Oban Revenge/Kiyoshi
Mizuno MP32 5-PW / TTDG S300, DG Spinner
Renegar 52*58* / KBS wedge
SC Studio Style Newport 1.5
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 dartboss04

dartboss04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

I haven't yet, but have heard good things.  I'm playing in mid July as well.

View PostSmithj36, on 29 June 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

#12 dartboss04

dartboss04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.  I missed out on Ellington Ridge already this year.  I'm trying to play a few for the rest of the year and plan on the following for now.

Bulls Bridge
Farmington CC
Great Neck (formerly New London)
Lake of Isles (South)
Wethersfield CC
Yale

#13 al3h

al3h

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128165

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

View PostSmithj36, on 29 June 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

Played Yale 2 weeks ago.  The course is in good shape but the greens were a bit on the slow side.  It's a tough course though.  Lots of blind shots.  It does have the largest greens I've ever seen in my life.

#14 pccasstpro

pccasstpro

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11024
  • Ebay ID:nepgabound
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

If you have the chance :

Hartford GC (great greens)
Wampanaoug GC ( Donald Ross; a CT classic) If I was living in the West Hartford area I would get a membership, I love this course.
Yale GC
Black Hall
Madison CC
Bulls Bridge
Torrington CC (2013 CT Open site)
Avon CC (3 nines, fun layout)
Brooklawn CC ( Gene Sarezen was the pro there for years)
Watertown CC

I have played all of these, in casual rounds and some tournament play.

#15 dartboss04

dartboss04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for all the recommendations.  I was able to play Wampanoag in high school and remember it being really nice, the greens especially.

I actually played Brooklawn in a charity outing probably 5 years ago now, but forgot to add that to the list.

View Postpccasstpro, on 02 July 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

If you have the chance :

Hartford GC (great greens)
Wampanaoug GC ( Donald Ross; a CT classic) If I was living in the West Hartford area I would get a membership, I love this course.
Yale GC
Black Hall
Madison CC
Bulls Bridge
Torrington CC (2013 CT Open site)
Avon CC (3 nines, fun layout)
Brooklawn CC ( Gene Sarezen was the pro there for years)
Watertown CC

I have played all of these, in casual rounds and some tournament play.

#16 BNich0622

BNich0622

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,946 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87233
  • Ebay ID:BNich0622
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

View Postgeoangus, on 26 June 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

I played there last monday. Mint condition, a lot of dog legs and a lot of long par 4's. Very challenging golf course. You can miss pins by 5-10' and have yourself a long round.
Big Bertha Alpha 9* w Speeder VC 6.0
X2 Hot 15* 3w/ Aldila Tour Blue 65s
X2 Hot 18* Hy/Aldila Tour Green 75s
Apex 3-PW UST Recoil 110 F5
Mack Daddy 2 52* & 58* C Grind
Metal X Milled 330 Mallet 34"

#17 qwertyb22

qwertyb22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23322
  • Ebay ID:awpeterson1
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Yale is a great track, in my opinion.  The greens are very demanding.  Lots of forced carries and you need a well-placed tee shot.  A real challenge.

I've been trying to play a few in the area as well in hopes of finding a course to join that won't leave me broke.  I'm a Yale alumnus but now live in Fairfield, so Yale is a bit far for a home course.  I played Oranoque and Mill River two weeks ago.

Oranoque was a decent course - tight but very manageable.  The membership seemed more on the old side and the clubhouse leaves quite a bit to be desired.  

Mill River is a very short course.  I believe only like 6800 from the tips.  I didn't think the course was in great shape.  The bunkers looked like they hadn't been groomed since last season, and my pet peeve is finding rocks in bunkers.  I only ended up in 1 bunker, mind you, so it might not be a fair sampling.  The club-house is so-so, and they have a pool for the wife and kids and such.

For what its worth, Great River is easily playable - only semi-private - and is a beautiful course.  Definitely one of my favorites in the area, other than the first hole (which is a par 3, they reversed the front and back 9).  Similar to Lake of Isles in that respect, if I'm correct, which is also a great course.

Fairfield Country Club is a beautiful course, though I haven't played it.  I haven't played CT Golf Club, Patterson, or Brooklawn but those are on my list...  doubt I can afford them though!

Edited by qwertyb22, 11 July 2012 - 08:14 PM.

Titleist 910D3 RIP a
Tour Edge CB5 15 RIP a, CB5 19 Phenom
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW DG S300
Vokey SM4 50.11, 54.11, 60.07 DG S300
Great River Golf Club
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

#18 cstav

cstav

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88387
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

Wee Burn CC is a must play. Tough track.

#19 dartboss04

dartboss04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

View PostTeetogreen86, on 26 June 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

The Farms in Wallingford is pretty good.  A buddy of mine is a member there and I'm playing in his member guest in a few weeks.  Two fairly different nines, but a very nice place.  Friendly staff.  Course is immaculate.  Great food.  Only downside is the driving range is nothing special.

Wallingford CC is great too.  Great variations in holes and layout.  Greens are always fantastic.  And every time I get to play there I usually beat my host(Golow).  No home course advantage. :rofl:

Actually playing The Farms tomorrow.  Excited based on your review of the course condition and staff.

Do you know if a non-member can enter the proshop?  I like to buy logo balls (if they sell them) from the places I play.

#20 Teetogreen86

Teetogreen86

Get after it.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

View Postdartboss04, on 19 July 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Actually playing The Farms tomorrow.  Excited based on your review of the course condition and staff.

Do you know if a non-member can enter the proshop?  I like to buy logo balls (if they sell them) from the places I play.

The member/guest there the past weekend was great.  They cut the greens low and rolled them each day.  They were stupid fast, but I'm sure they heightened the mowers a bit after it was over.  Non-members can enter the golf shop, I'm assuming even without a member as long as you are playing with one.  They do take credit cards for greens fees, and I don't see why it would be different for merchandise.  I don't think they use cash.  I don't recall seeing logo balls there but I could be wrong.  You'll probably find a lot of Member/Guest stamped ProV's in the woods though!

Do me a favor and blow up the front 9 Caddyshack style. :derisive:   I cannot play well there, but always play well on the back.  Enjoy it and let me know how it goes!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 dartboss04

dartboss04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostTeetogreen86, on 19 July 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

The member/guest there the past weekend was great.  They cut the greens low and rolled them each day.  They were stupid fast, but I'm sure they heightened the mowers a bit after it was over.  Non-members can enter the golf shop, I'm assuming even without a member as long as you are playing with one.  They do take credit cards for greens fees, and I don't see why it would be different for merchandise.  I don't think they use cash.  I don't recall seeing logo balls there but I could be wrong.  You'll probably find a lot of Member/Guest stamped ProV's in the woods though!

Do me a favor and blow up the front 9 Caddyshack style. :derisive:   I cannot play well there, but always play well on the back.  Enjoy it and let me know how it goes!

Thanks for the tips.  Yeah, I didn't think all private clubs would have logo balls as it seems more of a resort thing to do, but it's a cheap and small memento.

Ha.  Will do.

#22 OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1282
  • Handicap:16.1
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Kyle!!!!!!!!!!  Your alive!  I was just asking NoShortGame on 4GEA if he had talked to you recently, had this chat last week.  Hope all is well.

Mike
Callaway RFE 9.5* Fubuki Alpha 70X
Callaway RFE 16.5* 4 wood UST Tour 86gr
Callaway X2Hot 19* * & Hogan CFT 21*
Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW KBS Tour
YES! Tracy
Vokey 52.08 & 58.08

#23 Teetogreen86

Teetogreen86

Get after it.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostOrangeCrush, on 19 July 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

Kyle!!!!!!!!!!  Your alive!  I was just asking NoShortGame on 4GEA if he had talked to you recently, had this chat last week.  Hope all is well.

Mike

Hey Mike!

Still alive and kicking.  We need to tee it up soon.  My job moved me back to the shoreline area so I'm a little further away again but we can make something work.  Shoot me a PM and let's see if we can work out a day to play.  I'm off next Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday if any of those work for you.

#24 OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1282
  • Handicap:16.1
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

View PostTeetogreen86, on 19 July 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

View PostOrangeCrush, on 19 July 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

Mike

Hey Mike!

Still alive and kicking.  We need to tee it up soon.  My job moved me back to the shoreline area so I'm a little further away again but we can make something work.  Shoot me a PM and let's see if we can work out a day to play.  I'm off next Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday if any of those work for you.

While I can't do next week, my buddy is playing in the NH open and I am hosting him at my house/going to watch him play.  But after that I have lots of weekday time available.  I am currently out of work so got nothing but weekday time as long as it's not one of my nights with the kids.  We'll figure something out.  You still got the same email address?
Callaway RFE 9.5* Fubuki Alpha 70X
Callaway RFE 16.5* 4 wood UST Tour 86gr
Callaway X2Hot 19* * & Hogan CFT 21*
Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW KBS Tour
YES! Tracy
Vokey 52.08 & 58.08

#25 dartboss04

dartboss04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

Rained out.  The first 3/4 of the first hole were nice.  Haha.

#26 adamf9

adamf9

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133319
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Consensus 3 best in Fairfield County are probably Stanwich, Wee Burn, and CC of Fairfield.  Of the 3 have only played Stanwich...as advertised, well worth playing if you ever get the chance.  Heard great things about Wee Burn as well.  CC of Fairfield in a great setting, overlooking Soutport Harbor which many say make the course (vs the layout alone).

#27 Teetogreen86

Teetogreen86

Get after it.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

View Postdartboss04, on 20 July 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

Bummer!  Are you going back to play?

#28 dartboss04

dartboss04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

View PostTeetogreen86, on 21 July 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

View Postdartboss04, on 20 July 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

Bummer!  Are you going back to play?

Yeah, in a couple weeks.  I'm excited to putt those greens.

#29 Teetogreen86

Teetogreen86

Get after it.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

I played there again today.  The greens are still rolling great!  A little slower, but not much.  There were a few brown spots on a couple greens but the pins were no where near them.  I can't believe I survived walking 18 in that heat!

#30 dartboss04

dartboss04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostTeetogreen86, on 24 July 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

I played there again today.  The greens are still rolling great!  A little slower, but not much.  There were a few brown spots on a couple greens but the pins were no where near them.  I can't believe I survived walking 18 in that heat!

Finally was able to play there.  I enjoyed the course but had a tough day on the greens.  They weren't so much faster than I've played recently, but there is a certainly quite a bit of slope and I just couldn't get the feel of the pace.  I like the mixture of holes, long and short par 4's and 5's.  Spicy orange chicken tenders in the clubhouse were good too.  Haha.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors