Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Cost of reshafting driver?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 golfingchuck

golfingchuck

My Thriver is 2* open at address

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76332
  • Ebay ID:cp4200
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

I'm wanting to reshaft my Adams 9064LS with a Fubuki 73s that I have so I called my local golf shop and of course the shop owner that i delt with a lot in the past wasnt there. I ask the guy who answered the phone what the owner charges for reshafting and he told me $50!!!! I about threw the phone across my living room and told the guy that was ridiculous, so he says call back in about an hour and talk to the owner, i said I will do that.

Ive traded, sold and bought many clubs from this guy and have had a lot of shafts installed in woods and irons. On my drivers hes always just charged me for the cost of a grip and maybe $5 on top of that. I sure hope he's not charging anybody $50 for a reshaft! If so I will drive the hour and a half the Shreveport, LA to the Golf Etc there and get my reshaft done. He will pull, install and spine align for $25!!!

So am I on my own on feeling that $50 is ridiculous or is this the norm now? If it is I might aswell call Joe and have do a over the phone fitting and spend the money to have it done the right way!!

Titleist 910D2 8.5 VTS 65sx
Titleist 910f/910H VTS Red 7sx/8H Xs
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
MannKrafted Custom TANGENT Ten-13
Titleist Pro V1

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 AC-Golf

AC-Golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136138
  • Ebay ID:333bac2333
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'd never pay $50 to reshaft it.  That is ridiculous!  I do my own, and it doesn't take that much time.
X Hot 9.5* Fujikura Javlyn
X Hot Pro Hybrids 16 and 20
J40 DPC 4-PW UST Recoil 800
Miura 51Y, 54, 57C
Bettinardi SS#6

#3 golfingchuck

golfingchuck

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

AC-Golf, on 22 June 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

I'd never pay $50 to reshaft it.  That is ridiculous!  I do my own, and it doesn't take that much time.
I guess I need to just order the equipment to do it myself. I may look into getting the equipment and start doing it for guys around here if it really cost $50! I have a shop that I can work out of.
Titleist Pro V1

#4 jimmie

jimmie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178792
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

I was quoted $20 by my local guy. 50 is rediculous.
Diablo Octane Tour Aldila RIP X 70
Diablo Octane Tour 15 Rip Beta X
X2HP 20 & 23
MP-53 5-PW KBS Tour X
Vokey 50 and 54, MP 60.08
Odyssey White Ice Mini T

#5 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100881
GolfWRX Likes : 397

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Whats included in the price ? or is it a crime to have club making and repair as a job to make a living ?
- How much do you folks got payed by the our? do your company has any cost on top of your paycheck ?

I think you jump to conclusions without thinking, because nobody on this planet can make a living if he charge 5 USD for a shaft change, unless he is in China. He might be able to make 2 or 3 shaft changes if he does more than "glue it in", and that makes a gross of 10-15 USD pr hour minus shop cost, tools and supplies. I hope he got a wife to support him financially since you are willing to drive for hours to save 25USD, but ok Gas is for free, so is your time. No wonder there is a crises in the US if thats your way of looking at others worth at job.

#6 golfingchuck

golfingchuck

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

Update on my shaft install! My local golf shop owner didn't charge me a die to pull and install the shaft I wanted in my club. The guy who told me $50 was thinking I was wanting to buy a shaft from them and have it installed. So I got a reshafting for free!!

@howard jones, umad bro? Why you getting your panties twisted? Our local golf shop is the only golf shop and only place where I can get shafts installed near me!none of the local golf courses do anything but regrip.  So yes I would waste the gas that I work hard to buy and spend the couple of hours of drive time to go get a shaft installed! A shaft pull was 10 minutes of his time and I have done thousands of dollars worth of business with this guy for years now. I've bought my irons, wedges, woods and putters from him. Chill brah!
Titleist Pro V1

#7 golfingchuck

golfingchuck

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Oh, I also know what it takes to run a business and sometimes you do little things for customers to keep them hooked and coming back for more!
Titleist Pro V1

#8 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:59 AM

Sorry bro, but your own way of telling about your case gave another picture of it. Your first line was
"I'm wanting to reshaft my Adams 9064LS with a Fubuki 73s that I have"

- You got the shaft , you needed the job done only, and then you mention 5 USD from earlier visits
To me it sounded like you did not offer them any business at all (on this visit) , because all you wanted was a re-shaft job for 5 Bucks.

I relocated my shop last year, and even if i did not overspend, it "removed" 200 big ones from my bank account
- If someone entered my shop with a shaft in their hand and offering me 5 bucks for a pull & change job....no i think i let you without any further comment on that, because you should be smart enough to understand its not possible.

As many of you know, i live and work in Europe where every thing cost MUCH more than in the US, and the Vokey from the rack you pay 99 USD for cost 200 here, and its not because the shops has doubled the price. For years players have payed for a 1 hour round in Trackman, and then bought all they wanted from UK where prices is like minus 30%, but since UK is within the EU system, no taxes are payed for "importing". Competition has not been fair because the difference is mostly due to different tax systems within the EU, so there is nothing me or anybody else can do about it.
BUT, when the same customers need a repair job, they bring the same "trade DNA" with them, expecting you to do whatever they want, but it should not cost them much, next to nothing is the expectation, because "this is only Golf equipment", who is a hobby for them, but its my job and living.

Thats why my pants was twisting my friend. You sounded just like the "UK traders" who dont buy anything, not even grips, but they need me to do the job, for "a hand of rice", in your case for 5 bucks. I guess ive had enough of that kind of requests, and thats exactly how i was reading your post.

If you also buy the shaft and grip, thats another picture, then the labor charge might be dropped if this is a new expensive driver shaft, but your way of expressing yourself did not tell a story about that, it was isolated to labor cost for a shaft change, because you had the shaft already.

I charge 300 DKK (Labor only) for a shaft change job, included FLO to flex, trimming, re gripping and SW adjustment
Thats like 50 USD (300 DKK), and your "offer" sounded like 10% of that
- I would expect to pay 25-30 USD for the same job in the US, and thats why i started with "Whats included in the price".

Edited by Howard Jones, 23 June 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#9 neilc

neilc

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13139
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

Howard Jones, on 23 June 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

Sorry bro, but your own way of telling about your case gave another picture of it. Your first line was

- You got the shaft , you needed the job done only, and then you mention 5 USD from earlier visits
To me it sounded like you did not offer them any business at all (on this visit) , because all you wanted was a re-shaft job for 5 Bucks.

I relocated my shop last year, and even if i did not overspend, it "removed" 200 big ones from my bank account
- If someone entered my shop with a shaft in their hand and offering me 5 bucks for a pull & change job....no i think i let you without any further comment on that, because you should be smart enough to understand its not possible.

As many of you know, i live and work in Europe where every thing cost MUCH more than in the US, and the Vokey from the rack you pay 99 USD for cost 200 here, and its not because the shops has doubled the price. For years players have payed for a 1 hour round in Trackman, and then bought all they wanted from UK where prices is like minus 30%, but since UK is within the EU system, no taxes are payed for "importing". Competition has not been fair because the difference is mostly due to different tax systems within the EU, so there is nothing me or anybody else can do about it.
BUT, when the same customers need a repair job, they bring the same "trade DNA" with them, expecting you to do whatever they want, but it should not cost them much, next to nothing is the expectation, because "this is only Golf equipment", who is a hobby for them, but its my job and living.

Thats why my pants was twisting my friend. You sounded just like the "UK traders" who dont buy anything, not even grips, but they need me to do the job, for "a hand of rice", in your case for 5 bucks. I guess ive had enough of that kind of requests, and thats exactly how i was reading your post.

If you also buy the shaft and grip, thats another picture, then the labor charge might be dropped if this is a new expensive driver shaft, but your way of expressing yourself did not tell a story about that, it was isolated to labor cost for a shaft change, because you had the shaft already.

I charge 300 DKK (Labor only) for a shaft change job, included FLO to flex, trimming, re gripping and SW adjustment
- I would expect to pay 25-30 USD for the same job in the US, and thats why i started with "Whats included in the price".

Howard.

#10 golfingchuck

golfingchuck

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

Howard Jones, on 23 June 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

Mate, you're still being salty about it! Im not going to pay $50 dollars to have a golf club reshafted! The most I would of paid was $25. Its not my fault you live in the UK and get screwed. If he wants to charge $50 dollars to reshaft a club that's his choice and it's my choice to not pay $50 dollars for his services. Capitalism amigo, i can take it to where I know I will get a in my opinion a good price to have a golf club reshafted.

I simply stated that I was prepared to pay a cost for a grip +$5, which would be anywhere from $12-$20. If you or anybody who has a golf shop can charge $50 and actually have people pay that much then more power too ya!

Edited by golfingchuck, 23 June 2012 - 08:07 AM.

Titleist Pro V1

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

...and you still did not answer my questions, whats included in the price ?
- 50 USD for a "glue job" is way out, but if it involves FLO , SW adjustment with hot melt and so on, its quite low, so unless you know what you get for the price, there is no way to judge if its high or low priced, so you are still hitting in the air here. I even told you about both my price level and what i would expect to pay for the same in the US. The main question still remain unanswered, whats included in the price, even if you never wants to pay 50 no matter whats in the deal.  its you who made your own storm in a bottle with a price tag without any info about whats in the deal, and you started by telling you got the shaft and that you use to pay 5 bucks for the job.
There is to many out there shouting and telling "half stories" so the next time, provide the info needed, or expect to be put at place. This is NOT my hobby and you are attacking my way of living, without CORRECT INFO to follow, so what can you expect ?
I will always be salty in matters like this, because its p..me off bad when folks like you post the way you do, when you make it to look like a rip of to make a living from club making. Without the correct info on the case, you dont have a case, and the info you brought was misleading to start with.

#12 golfingchuck

golfingchuck

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

Howard, I think I took what you were saying out of context thinking you were sounding like a prat, my bad!

What was included in the price. He doesn't have a set rate like some people have. He was going to charge me $10 to pull and install, didn't have to have club regripped yet. He refuses to spine align and only pulls and installs, nothing special. I bullshitted with him and his wife while he worked on my club and at the end he told me it was free of charge.
Titleist Pro V1

#13 doubleBZee

doubleBZee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82037
  • Ebay ID:trey8419
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Wow that is quite ridiculous.  I would say $25 max.  I have never even spent that much but it is all about where you go.
Cobra Amp - AD-DI7
TM Burner TP 3 - BB 83
TM TP MC/MB - Ctaper
Vokey Wedges
TM Penta TP
Byron Morgan DH89

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors