Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

LPGA Pro-am experiences

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 fore

fore

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1981
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

Well I thought I would find some threads on peoples LPGA pro-am experiences, but I didn't find much.

Anyone care to share some thoughts on their LPGA pro-am experiences?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116473
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 970

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

It's all about the draw.  They can be a lot of fun but it will depend on your Pro.  If you are talking about the before the tournament Pro-am then you'll probably have a loose, good time and.  If it's an actual Pro-am that is part of the tournament then you need to remember that those girls are playing with you but in the tournament and playing for a living.  If that's the case - stay out of their way and let them concentrate on score.

Have a good time.
SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura Tournament Blades 2-W
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 56C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade
Scratch James Ingels Blade

#3 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 326

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:35 PM

I started a thread a couple weeks ago asking about anyon that had played in a Symetra Tour (the old Futures Tour) Pro AM, and didn't get any responses.

However, I'm really shocked you didn't find anything on LPGA Pro Ams.   I have played in two Future Tour pro ams and am considering the Symetra this year.   Both times were great matchups.  The first time we were with Becky Lucidi from one of the first Big Breaks and the 2nd time we were with Vikki Lang who is now playing on the European LPGA.

Both ladies were fanstic and a lot of fun to play with.  in the 2nd one we were in contention to win, so Vikki was all into it.  The ladies get a bonus if their group wins the pro am, which gives them some incentive as well.

I would think the LPGA would be just like Lumberman said, it's all about who you end up with.  Luck of the draw, unless you are in position that your company is a major sponsor and you get one of the top pics.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#4 SurfDuffer

SurfDuffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123677
GolfWRX Likes : 209

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:45 AM

My company sponsors I put together a 4-some to play in an LPGA Pro-am every year.  It is the highlight of my golf season.  Lot of fun.

This year I felt a little burned as the two players I drew had a combined career earnings of under $5,000.  They mix in futures tour players and players who aren't even actively on tour in order to get enough "Pros" to handle the number of 4-somes playing the 2-day pro-am.  The one girl I played with this year likely couldn't break 80 on the course we played in the pro-am if her life depended on it.  When I looked her up on the internet she only had   ever made one cut on the futures tour.  Not what you are expecting to get when you are paying a lot of money to play a pro-am let alone if you are a sponsor.  The second day I got a player who missed the cut and came in near to dead last.  I understand that they need to fill the number of slots in order to hold the pro-am but they need to rank these girls and balance out who you get to play with so you don't end up feeling burned because you got players on both days who are off the charts.  If you are doing a 2-day pro-am and you draw an off the charts low ranked player one day you darn well better get a solid player the second day.  Again, especially if you are an event sponsor.

OK, Rant over.

Best result was 3rd place.

Edited by SurfDuffer, 03 July 2012 - 06:49 AM.

#5 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

View PostSurfDuffer, on 03 July 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

My company sponsors I put together a 4-some to play in an LPGA Pro-am every year.  It is the highlight of my golf season.  Lot of fun.

This year I felt a little burned as the two players I drew had a combined career earnings of under $5,000.  They mix in futures tour players and players who aren't even actively on tour in order to get enough "Pros" to handle the number of 4-somes playing the 2-day pro-am.  The one girl I played with this year likely couldn't break 80 on the course we played in the pro-am if her life depended on it.  When I looked her up on the internet she only had   ever made one cut on the futures tour.  Not what you are expecting to get when you are paying a lot of money to play a pro-am let alone if you are a sponsor.  The second day I got a player who missed the cut and came in near to dead last.  I understand that they need to fill the number of slots in order to hold the pro-am but they need to rank these girls and balance out who you get to play with so you don't end up feeling burned because you got players on both days who are off the charts.  If you are doing a 2-day pro-am and you draw an off the charts low ranked player one day you darn well better get a solid player the second day.  Again, especially if you are an event sponsor.

OK, Rant over.

I certainly can see everyone would want Paula, Natalie or Brittany or one of the big names.  There are only so many of the big names on the LPGA to go around, and I'm sure they were alloted to the Title Sponsors. That said, if you were a sponsor on some level and conributed a foursome, I certainly would have expected you to get if nothing else at least one of the top ranked Future tour girls.

Hopefully they were at least nice and fun to be with, while they may never make it on the Tour at least that would make the day tolerable.

5-PW XHot PX 5.5
Versa No. 7

#6 SurfDuffer

SurfDuffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

One other thing I would add.  Don't know if this is common or just at my local event.  They don't let us know our t-time until 5:00pm the night before we play.  I have always hated this.  I use this for clients, some of whom have a long drive.  The least they could do is give us the t-time 24 hours in advance so people coming from farther away can plan on accomodations if needed.  I realize they want to have it be like an unveiling at the pairings party.  I don't want to know who my pro is, I just want to be able to give my clients a firm t-time as far as possible in advance.  Surprise us on the tee with our LPGA player for all I care or reveal the playing partners at the pairings dinner.  Just give us our t-times or a general idea of our playing time well in advance.

#7 SurfDuffer

SurfDuffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 03 July 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

OK, Rant over.

I certainly can see everyone would want Paula, Natalie or Brittany or one of the big names.  There are only so many of the big names on the LPGA to go around, and I'm sure they were alloted to the Title Sponsors. That said, if you were a sponsor on some level and conributed a foursome, I certainly would have expected you to get if nothing else at least one of the top ranked Future tour girls.

Hopefully they were at least nice and fun to be with, while they may never make it on the Tour at least that would make the day tolerable.

I'm not talking drawing a top ranked player here but one at least who has made a few cuts on the big tour would be nice.  Don't get me wrong, its still an enjoyable 2 days but when you are spending huge dollars on sponsoring an event like this you ought to get at least one day each pro-am with a top 50 player.

#8 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostSurfDuffer, on 03 July 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 03 July 2012 - 07:20 AM, said:

OK, Rant over.

I'm not talking drawing a top ranked player here but one at least who has made a few cuts on the big tour would be nice.  Don't get me wrong, its still an enjoyable 2 days but when you are spending huge dollars on sponsoring an event like this you ought to get at least one day each pro-am with a top 50 player.
I understand, you get no arguments from me.  I also understand about it being the highlight of your golf year. When you look so forward to something all year and then to have part of it turn out to be disappointing, I have had that happen and understand the feeling.

Have you or are you going to write a letter to the LPGA and let them know how you feel.  You may only get a non sincere form letter back, or you may actually get a response that will help you get a better pairing next year.  I don't think any tour especially the LPGA can afford to alienate any of their sponsors.
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
Versa No. 7

#9 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• 3,260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3676
GolfWRX Likes : 279

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

Interesting, I just saw a tweet from Danielle Amacapane the other day, inferring something along the lines of "getting a little something for the effort..." referring to her pro am group.  I though this was odd, and even replied something about don't these people pay $1000's of dollars to play with you in a pro am, but she didn't pick up on my attempt at sarcasm.  She replied they don't get paid to play in pro ams and tips are appreciated.

So for those you you who have played in one, is this the norm?  Do you tip the pro in your group?  Stuck me as odd but I've never played in one.
Callaway BB Alpha 10.5* Zeta Tour 60s
Callaway BB 15* Zeta 70s
Adams Super LS 22* Kuro Kage 80s
Callaway Apex 4-PW PX 6.0
MD2 52/56/60*
Cameron Studio Style Newport

#10 SurfDuffer

SurfDuffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

I had this conversation last year with our pro who was not playing in the big tournament.  Those girls definitely get a little something to travel and play the pro-am.  May not be much but they are taken care of.  As for the girls playing the big event I don't think they get anything for playing the Pro-am unless they place 1st 2nd or 3rd..  We have always tipped the player's caddie but not the player.

I should add that the pro's caddies are often more interesting than the pro's you play with.  I had the caddy a couple of years ago who was on the bag for Morgan Pressel when she won the Kraft Nabisco.  Another year we had a caddie who had been caddying on both the PGA and LPGA tours for a variety of players.  This year we had a caddie who is an assistant coach of a prominent Division 1 college golf team.  The pros have game but the caddies have personality.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116473
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 970

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

View Post78Staff, on 03 July 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

Interesting, I just saw a tweet from Danielle Amacapane the other day, inferring something along the lines of "getting a little something for the effort..." referring to her pro am group.  I though this was odd, and even replied something about don't these people pay $1000's of dollars to play with you in a pro am, but she didn't pick up on my attempt at sarcasm.  She replied they don't get paid to play in pro ams and tips are appreciated.

So for those you you who have played in one, is this the norm?  Do you tip the pro in your group?  Stuck me as odd but I've never played in one.

I've played in several LPGA Pro-Ams and I've never heard of anyone tipping.  That seems odd.
SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura Tournament Blades 2-W
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 56C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade
Scratch James Ingels Blade

#12 Texan In The Northwest

Texan In The Northwest

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212195
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

Being just shy of 3 years into the game, I'd never had the opportunity to play in any sort of Pro-Am; Until this past August, that is. I was at Pumpkin Ridge for the LPGA Safeway Classic and was generously given a spot to participate in the Day Before Tourney Pro-Am. My pro, the victor, the champ, the one who took home the trophy. None other than Mika Miyazato and her amazing Caddie Chad as well as Mika's Grip Manufacturers Rep, Yoshi.

Mika hit every fairway and every green. It was a treat to have such an experience for my first.

#13 rafal

rafal

PM2TM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
GolfWRX Likes : 908

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

Isn't Pro-Am usually one of the practice rounds for them before the tournament?  So what does she want for "the effort" of practicing her profession
TM SLDR S 12*
TM SF 1.0 5W/7W
Ping G25 4-LW
TM DLL 35"

#14 cardia10

cardia10

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11435
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Looking up her stats, she may be in need of a check with that number of missed cuts. She has some career wins, but that must have been a while back.

#15 xxio

xxio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

View Postrafal, on 21 November 2012 - 04:20 AM, said:

Isn't Pro-Am usually one of the practice rounds for them before the tournament?  So what does she want for "the effort" of practicing her profession

I've played in a low level Pro Am. Asian Develomental Tour. 2xs. These guy are literally struggling to make a living. My other partners and I usually tip an amount that would cover his tournament entry fee and maybe the caddy fee for 2 days.

I would'nt know how much to tip an Lpga player making decent money.

#16 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 482

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Upon first read I thought she was just making a joke using a line from Caddyshack.  But then I see that she replied back that "tips are appreciated.". Wow, seems way tacky.  I can see that for the caddies but players?  After you've paid a few grand (or more) to play in the event?  

Can you imagine trying to tip Tiger after a pro-am round?  Lol

#17 rafal

rafal

PM2TM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
GolfWRX Likes : 908

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

Based on what we know regarding Tiger's tipping, $5 would cover it.
TM SLDR S 12*
TM SF 1.0 5W/7W
Ping G25 4-LW
TM DLL 35"

#18 ironmikes

ironmikes

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43602
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

View Postrafal, on 23 November 2012 - 04:24 AM, said:

Based on what we know regarding Tiger's tipping, $5 would cover it.

lol ... too funny ha ha ha ha ha ha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors