Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

So I hit my 3 wood as far as my driver....Makes no sense to me

3 wood driver

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 DWCobraJR

DWCobraJR

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85835
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'm a High single digit capper. Usually shoot anywhere from 73-82 on par 70 course

My issue is this, I've noticed recently that I hit my 3 wood around 260-270. even hit one today 280! (Slight downhill soooooo not quite real)

Then i pull the big stick it goes almost the exact same distance range, I'll hit it anwhere for 260-280 regularly.

For a little back ground my Driver is a Diablo Octane tour 10.5 with a WhiteBoard 73  and my 3 wood is a Diablo Edge with a Blueboard 83 Standard 15 degree loft.

I make reasonable similar contact with the driver and 3 wood so I don't think that is the issue. Could it be a length of club issue, that 3 wood length just fits my swing better?

Does anyone think cutting the Driver down to 43 would help?

thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Mox Monkey

Mox Monkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181762
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

When I saw the title I thought I might have a suggestion but with your handicap that low and your distance that far I doubt it was what I went through.

I guess it could be an issue of the shaft in your driver having to much flex. A friend of mine is a clubfitter/builder and he says that stock shafts in off the rack drivers are wildly inconsistent. It might say s or x on the shaft but theres lots of variance even in the same category of flex.

Before I got fitted for a driver the shaft i was using was to weak and on my downswing my arms and wrists were doing all sorts of compensatory manipulations to try square up my driver head on a severely bowed shaft.

Just an idea

#3 skendall08

skendall08

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184450
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

I do the same thing. X stiff on driver, stiff on Three wood. IDK how it is for you, but when I hit 280 with my three wood it hits and rolls. When I hit 305+ with my driver it rolls. But when I hit 260 with three wood and 275 with driver it is ALL carry because the divot is litterally within a foot radius with the ball full of mud. So you could just be hitting with too much backspin on the driver because it is a harder swing.

#4 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103884
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

I doubt cutting it to 43 is the issue.  So you have a whiteboard 73 and a blueboard 83.  Sounds like the driver isn't the right one...what if you hit a blueboard 83 in the driver?  I wouldn't change it unless I hit one similar...

#5 AFcelica

AFcelica

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1627
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:49 AM

whats your ball flight with the driver? i would assume its way high and way too much spin or super low with minimal carry for your swing speed. or i suppose you could be delofting and hitting down on your 3 wood so much that its basically a small headed driver

#6 SurfinTurf

SurfinTurf

In like Flynn with my 8802

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115210
GolfWRX Likes : 863

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:31 AM

Cutting your driver down to 43" sounds ridiculous to me. And that's the length of your three wood, right?. If contact is already good then I don't see how cutting it down is gonna help.

Sounds like you've got an awesome 3 wood in the bag. Just keep it and be grateful. Start ho'ing drivers until you find a bomber.
TM '07 Burner TP 8.5 Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5 PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18 PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51/56/60
The Wilson 8802

#7 MelloYello

MelloYello

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152687
  • Ebay ID:gregr319
GolfWRX Likes : 347

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostDWCobraJR, on 10 June 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

I'm a High single digit capper. Usually shoot anywhere from 73-82 on par 70 course

My issue is this, I've noticed recently that I hit my 3 wood around 260-270. even hit one today 280! (Slight downhill soooooo not quite real)

Then i pull the big stick it goes almost the exact same distance range, I'll hit it anwhere for 260-280 regularly.

For a little back ground my Driver is a Diablo Octane tour 10.5 with a WhiteBoard 73  and my 3 wood is a Diablo Edge with a Blueboard 83 Standard 15 degree loft.

I make reasonable similar contact with the driver and 3 wood so I don't think that is the issue. Could it be a length of club issue, that 3 wood length just fits my swing better?

thanks

I'm in a similar situation. A good strike with my 3w is north of 250 with a recent bomb going 290 without too much help. Off the tee I play it about 260 and come through the ball a little stronger.

I think in general the driver is longer but only slightly. The other day when Rory hit that incredible 340-yd 3w at Quail Hollow, how much farther do you think a driver would've gotten him? Maybe 10 or 20 yards more? With the right launch conditions a 3w can be right on the heels of a driver for a big hitter. The advantage is accuracy at that point. It's not that the driver is going to be too much farther. If you're hitting a 3w properly you might find it's sometimes just as long as the driver because you just can't be as aggressive with the driver due to it's length.

Don't worry too much about that. It's normal.

If you aren't hitting your fair share or 290-yd drives though, try varying and adjusting how you hit the ball. If you hit down you might get more spin and lose distance because of height or angle of descent increasing. A fade can really suck 15 yards in a hurry too, because of the same spin issues. Start hitting that hard draw where the loft is a touch stronger and the ball doesn't have as much spin. The lower angle of descent will allow some roll, too.

It could be that 10.5* is too much loft but that should be a subtle thing that you tweak later. 1 or 2 degrees shouldn't completely ruin the club for you.

Another thing to consider is that you might hit a 270 draw 3 wood and a 270 fade driver. Use one for a draw and one for a fade. It's easier to draw a 3w and easier to still get the distance with a driver's power-fade.

That's my experience.

Edited by MelloYello, 11 June 2012 - 08:17 AM.

TaylorMade RBZ Tour   (TP HD6)
Nike SQ II 17*   (ProLaunch Red)
Nike SQ II 19*   (ProLaunch Platinum)
Mizuno MP-64 4-PW  (S300)
Mizuno MP-T4  52 / 56 / 60   (Spinner)

#8 MikeM8

MikeM8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128946
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

I was in the same boat a few weeks back.  My 3w was flying great and long while my driver wasn't going much further.  Come to find out that my angle of attack with my driver was on avg. about 5-6* down.  I was losing 30-40 yards of distance on this move alone.  

To fix this for me, I introduced a little more spine axis tilt away from the target and preset my hips slightly forward at set up.  Then to practice hitting the ball with an ascending angle of attack, I took a sleeve of balls, took the balls out and put the box about 1 club head in front of the ball and tee.  Make swings without hitting the box. Worked great for me. Got more lateral, shallowed out and started hitting bombs.  Never seen a ball go so high and far in my life.

#9 DWCobraJR

DWCobraJR

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

Wow

Thanks for all the advice guys,

I appreciate the tip of above I'll definetly give it a try.

Regarding the Ball flight on my Driver I do hit it pretty high but its not a "spinny" high if you know what I mean. It usually just launches high and flattens out doesnt spin much and climb a ladder going up.

Roll out is an issue though as I rarely seem to see the ball hit the ground and start bounding yards further.

Funny someone mentioned the X in the Driver and Stiff in 3 wood. I'm actually the opposite. I have a Stiff in the Driver and X in the 3 wood. Maybe I should just go X as well in the Driver.

Keep the advice coming. Thinking a shift to 9.5 as well would help. Got to do something to induce more roll.

#10 crapula

crapula

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114016
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

What is the launch angle, backspin, ball speed and swing speed with the driver?

I am guessing the driver doesn't fit. Don't assume lowering loft will make the ball go farther.

Adams Super LS 8.5, Adams Super LS 3w 14
Adams Super Hybrid 17*
3-PW MP-64 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i110
SM4 52, SM5 S 58
Odyssey Metal X
Srixon Yellow XV

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 golfcardsx2

golfcardsx2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84626
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

So I've just started reading one of Tom Wishon's books, called The New Search For the Perfect Golf Club.  From my novice understanding of what I've read, this is a common scenario that clubmakers encounter and it could be because the shaft in your driver is too long or the loft is not correct or your angle of attack is too steep.  I think it's tough to say unless you get analyzed by someone who really knows what the problem is.

#12 DWCobraJR

DWCobraJR

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

Yea I believe getting on a launch monitor would definitely lead to some concrete answers. Unfortunately I don't have one readily available.

Obviously this is a crap shoot because y'all have never seen my swing or numbers for me as well.

This at least gives me somewhere to start.

I do like the 10.5 in the Octane tour, I came from an FT tour 8.5 w/ Kai'li 70x and it was just straight up too much club. Made awful contact and never got decent height or spin on it.

I do appreciate the help though

#13 nova6868

nova6868

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140033
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 367

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

I would also propose that you're comparing your best 3-wood shots to your average driver shot.

I wouldn't make a blanket statement and say that you need a different driver, lower loft, etc. As you know, lower loft is not always the answer. The first "tinkering" idea that pops into my mind is trying an SX or X shaft in the 65-gram range.

#14 DWCobraJR

DWCobraJR

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

View Postnova6868, on 11 June 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

I would also propose that you're comparing your best 3-wood shots to your average driver shot.

I wouldn't make a blanket statement and say that you need a different driver, lower loft, etc. As you know, lower loft is not always the answer. The first "tinkering" idea that pops into my mind is trying an SX or X shaft in the 65-gram range.

That is a good point!

Issue becomes this. I hit 4 drives with my 3 wood. 220 (whoops)/273/270/280

Didnt hit a drive with my driver all day over 280 I don't believe.

Great point though, most certainly will take this into account next round

#15 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

Lower loft on driver

#16 AFcelica

AFcelica

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostDWCobraJR, on 11 June 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

That is a good point!

without seeing your swing, knowing your swing speed, launch conditions, knowing how hard your faiways are etc. i can't say for 100% sure. but i can tell you you're hitting your 3wood about 10 yards less than my average drive and about 15 yards longer than my average 3w off the tee and i've been fit for X in both. so like some other have said try to find a good fitter. i'll bet you're way off from ideal and giving up 15-25 yards with your current driver

Edited by AFcelica, 12 June 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#17 DWCobraJR

DWCobraJR

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostAFcelica, on 12 June 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

View PostDWCobraJR, on 11 June 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

That is a good point!

without seeing your swing, knowing your swing speed, launch conditions, knowing how hard your faiways are etc. i can't say for 100% sure. but i can tell you you're hitting your 3wood about 10 yards less than my average drive and about 15 yards longer than my average 3w off the tee and i've been fit for X in both. so like some other have said try to find a good fitter. i'll bet you're way off from ideal and giving up 15-25 yards with your current driver

Yea have to take a dive and get to a fitter before we get to far into the summer.

I'm really not trying to sound like one of those guys who hits the ball 340 yards. I just think i should get at least to 290 with the driver.

please don't think me one of those "i'm bubba long" guys our has the illusion that I'm really close to being Tiger Woods or something.

I swing as hard as I can on every drive to my detriment most of the time, but its still the most fun!

thanks for all the advice!

#18 GooseHook

GooseHook

Do you not?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,658 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114119
GolfWRX Likes : 1980

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

Launch conditions are the key here. When this case pops up, chances are you may not have enough loft on your driver. I don't think the length would be an issue, and don't necessarily assume that higher swingspeed and ballspeed requires lower loft.

I'm a higher speed player but a low ball hitter, and need at least a 9.5* driver to get decent launch.
SLDR 460, Elements Chrome 7F5T
PING G25 , Elements Chrome 8F5T
SLDR Rescue 19, hM3 Black Tie
SLDR Rescue 24, Speeder 9.8 HB
JPX 825 Pro/ MP- T4
Piretti Potenza
WITB Link

#19 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,018 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113964
GolfWRX Likes : 456

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

View PostSurfinTurf, on 11 June 2012 - 01:31 AM, said:

Start ho'ing drivers until you find a bomber.

Either this, or pay the $125+ to get fit by someone who has a Trackman or Flightscope.

When I got my friend in to an R9 Supertri, he got a huge gap in his 3W that he kills, and his driver.  Before, he was about equal, with the edge going to the driver, but only marginally.

#20 AFcelica

AFcelica

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

Yea have to take a dive and get to a fitter before we get to far into the summer.

I'm really not trying to sound like one of those guys who hits the ball 340 yards. I just think i should get at least to 290 with the driver.

please don't think me one of those "i'm bubba long" guys our has the illusion that I'm really close to being Tiger Woods or something.

I swing as hard as I can on every drive to my detriment most of the time, but its still the most fun!

thanks for all the advice!

no worries, just trying to help. just think if i was fitted into an X unless your tempo is super smooth since you swing faster you're more than likely need an X too. but a proper fitting is the best way to find those yards you're losing

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 DocParty

DocParty

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187806
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostDWCobraJR, on 10 June 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

thanks
Can I ask, why does it matter? If you can hit a 3 wood that distance and I'm assuming you are in the fairway, why are you not out there enjoying your game? If the driver doesn't hit as well for you, it could be a multitude of things. But for me I'd say you have a great deal of confidence in your 3 wood and that plays a big part in being relaxed and comfortable in your swing. You may be trying to hit the ball further with your driver because you have heard pro's doing it and your 3 wood is nearly as far as a pros average drive is anyway. Go enjoy the game and leave the driver at home if you can hit a 3 wood that well. You are blessed it seems with that 3 wood.

#22 gvogel

gvogel

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 311

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 28 December 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

View Postej002, on 28 December 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

If I hear Rory compared to Hogan or Snead one more time I might vomit.
They couldn't be much more different.  You're not alone in your feelings

What does your ball flight look like with your driver, and what does it look like with your 3-wood?
On Sundays, I play hickory

#23 jar59

jar59

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26059
  • Handicap:0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

Have you had the 3 wood and driver shafts measured by frequency rather than relying on stiff/x-stiff classifications?  You may get the optimum number of cycles for your 3 wood and miss that precision with the driver.

#24 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1972

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

Just an FYI, this thread is from June, the op may no longer be around to answer your questions.

Also tagged with 3 wood, driver

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors