Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Nike SasQuatch Sumo Squared

39 replies to this topic

Poll: Nike SasQuatch Sumo Squared (101 member(s) have cast votes)

Make Your Opinion Count!

1. 5 (Best) (52 votes [51.49%])

Percentage of vote: 51.49%

2. 4 (19 votes [18.81%])

Percentage of vote: 18.81%

3. 3 (6 votes [5.94%])

Percentage of vote: 5.94%

4. 2 (7 votes [6.93%])

Percentage of vote: 6.93%

5. 1 (17 votes [16.83%])

Percentage of vote: 16.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Gxgolfer

Gxgolfer

Site Founder & Co-Owner

• Rules Official
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,894 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11
GolfWRX Likes : 542

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:48 PM

sumo2.jpg

NIKE SasQuatch Sumo²...The Ultimate For Distance, Forgiveness & Accuracy!

The new SasQuatch Sumo² driver features a powerful new square geometry to deliver the highest MOI in golf at 5300g cm2. Sumo² stands for Super Moment of Inertia Squared. To achieve this radical geometry, NIKE utilizes a multi-material construction with a composite crown to save weight vs. a conventional titanium crown.

# NIKE Mens SasQuatch Sumo² 460 Drivers feature: Right-hand lofts: 8.5° • 9.5° • 10.5° • Lucky 13°
# Left-hand lofts: 9.5° • 10.5°
# Graphite shafts available in Senior, Regular, Stiff & X-Stiff flex
# Click Product Tour for more information

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:http://www.golfwrx.c...t-ad-questions/If you have a general help question, post here:GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 dirtydingo

dirtydingo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9289
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

bought one today...got 80 quid discount as i traded in my draw FT3 so not too bad (ft3's going for £120 new on ebay)

i hit loads of balls at the range and it is very loud...so loud in fact i was embarrassed by the noise...

but...i hit the ball fantastic

no more snap hooks like i got with the ft3 draw...all my shots were going exactly where i aimed, some with a slight draw

can't wait to get it out on the course...

#3 RyanBounce04

RyanBounce04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19120

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:11 PM

How was it distance wise... Could you tell? I'm getting ready to get one this weekend along with the Sumo Fairway.

Ryan

#4 Gallery_seams214_*

Gallery_seams214_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:13 PM

Where did you buy it?  Thought they were not available untill saturday?

#5 dirtydingo

dirtydingo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:40 AM

distance wise it was about 5-10 yards shorter than my ft3 (when i could get the ft3 to go straight that is) but smack in the middle of the fairway

hit pretty much every fairway..only missed when i was trying to john daly it :rolleyes: so far so good..

i bought it from american golf in cardiff..they had been sale since saturday 27th

they are VERY LOUD...you have been warned

Edited by dirtydingo, 31 January 2007 - 07:48 AM.

#6 Clubnut

Clubnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3374

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:02 AM

I was fortunate enough to hit this thing about 3 weeks back.  The owner of the Nike agency here in deepest darkest Africa is a friend of mine and he had just been given one to have a look at.

All I can say is this thing is super straight.  The most surprising thing is the flight straight out of the box.  I was hitting a 9.5* with a stiff Diamana.  Generally that type of setup would result in a whole lot of high hooks with my swing.  However what I found was that I hit about 10 or 12 shots like a piece of frozen rope.

If I had to complain, I could say that the club is amost impossible to shape.  I tried real hard to hit a few little fades and battled.  My stock shot was a slight draw.

Distance was pretty good and I would estimate maybe even a little longer than my PING G2 7* Penley ETA setup.

Have already placed my order for a 9 degree Sumo Tour and hoping it will arrive in the next couple of weeks.  Distance has never been a problem but if I could hit a few more in the fairway that would be great.  I am also hoping the Tour version will allow me to shape it a little more.

As said this is not the best looking or sounding club around, but if you are looking for performance over aesthetics, this club should definitely be on your shortlist.  Do not buy a new driver without trying this.  may not be your cup of tea, but you gotta give it a try.

#7 puremoney

puremoney

clank

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22405

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:26 AM

aaaahahahhahahhhahahahahahhahahhaahahooooooooooooooaoaooaooooooooooo......ga....best driver ever invented:)

#8 ArWo

ArWo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15299

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:28 PM

Well, it will not be in my bag, ever. Tried it today. I did not like the feel nore did I like the sound of the club (I actually love the FT-3). I'd rather play a persimmon driver. I hit it into a net so I can't comment on shot dispertion, still, I normally hit more irons of the tee than drives, so, no.
Titleist 913 D2 8.5 at C1, Phenom 70X
Callaway X Tour 13, Proforce V2 89X
Mizuno Fli-Hi CLK 21, EPIC Stiff
Titleist 690cb, 3-pw, DG S300
52 Pre SM Vokey, 56 and 60 original SMs
White Hot XG #7

#9 tootall

tootall

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23215
  • Ebay ID:golface

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:03 PM

Hit it today at Austad's and was pretty impressed.  As far as distance, about the same as my normal driver (Ignite 460) but as far as consistancy, it was very very straight.  I was trying ti hit the crap out of it and never ballooned one or hit a nasty hook or slice, it was pretty amazing.  I didn't reallty care for the sasquatch sumo, didn't feel any different than the normal sasquatch.  Plus, the shaft in it was tipped weird, it felt like it was going to break every time i hit it.  I think with a better shaft, the Sumo 2 could be one heck of a weapon from the tee.  Anyone that has trouble hitting it off the tee will be playing a square driver in the next 3 years.  I will agree that the sound is a bit weird.  The size of the driver wasn't really an issue after you hit it a few times, plus it's light so it's hard to even notice that it was shaped like a frying pan.

#10 dirtydingo

dirtydingo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:17 PM

played a full round today and missed 2 fairways...awesome (missed due to poor alignment...only just in the first cut of rough)

the increased forgiveness means i can really go after the ball...very pleased with this driver

only negative i've found is the sound...it sounds like no other driver :)

Edited by dirtydingo, 03 February 2007 - 08:34 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 ramos777

ramos777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24590

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

Hit lots of combos yesterday and stuck to my pre-order 9.5* VS Proto Stiff.  The shaft seems a little flexy but on smooth swings it went straight.  I think its a little shorter than a more traditional driver but who cares if your hitting fairways!

I actually like the sound.  I've played a lot of baseball and softball and this driver fits right at home to me. :)

#12 soberguy16

soberguy16

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22947
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

Wow that sounds annoying...hit it today for the first time-9.5* w/adila vs proto by you 65 stiff.  I was very skeptical going in but came out pretty impressed.  this thing is very straight, even on bad swings this thing keeps the ball on line very well.  I just dont know if i can get over the harshness of the sound...the square look grew on me and i didnt mind it by the end.  It was a little shorter distance wise than my 905r and not enough overall for me to switch.  I would definitely reccomend this driver to someone who doesn't mind leaving a practice session with a headache and whos looking for better accuracy.  I'd give it a 8.5/10 rating  ;)

#13 nick01

nick01

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15081

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:45 PM

View PostClubnut, on Feb 2 2007, 05:02 AM, said:

I was fortunate enough to hit this thing about 3 weeks back.  The owner of the Nike agency here in deepest darkest Africa is a friend of mine and he had just been given one to have a look at.

All I can say is this thing is super straight.  The most surprising thing is the flight straight out of the box.  I was hitting a 9.5* with a stiff Diamana.  Generally that type of setup would result in a whole lot of high hooks with my swing.  However what I found was that I hit about 10 or 12 shots like a piece of frozen rope.

If I had to complain, I could say that the club is amost impossible to shape.  I tried real hard to hit a few little fades and battled.  My stock shot was a slight draw.

Distance was pretty good and I would estimate maybe even a little longer than my PING G2 7* Penley ETA setup.

Have already placed my order for a 9 degree Sumo Tour and hoping it will arrive in the next couple of weeks.  Distance has never been a problem but if I could hit a few more in the fairway that would be great.  I am also hoping the Tour version will allow me to shape it a little more.

As said this is not the best looking or sounding club around, but if you are looking for performance over aesthetics, this club should definitely be on your shortlist.  Do not buy a new driver without trying this.  may not be your cup of tea, but you gotta give it a try.

WHAT :D a sumo tour when were how are you gettting one :) i love the sasquatch tour and if this is an uprade im in love ;)

#14 Clubnut

Clubnut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3374

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:26 AM

Yup there is a Tour version.  the head is not square like the Sumo2 or Sumo Squared as the name denotes.

I have not yet hit it, but I have hit the Sasquatch Tour quite a bit and found it to be a brilliant club.  Although I am a massive tinkerer with clubs and shafts and being accredited as a fitter, I do not change equipment often.  You will notice I still have a G2 in the bag and my Mizuno 3 wood has been in my bag for close on 15 years.  It is being replaced this week with a Sonartec NP99 with Grafalloy Prolite Fairway X shaft.

In order for me to change/upgrade my driver, I am going to have to go WOW!!!.  I also have the opportunity through my various contacts in South Africa to be fortunate enough to hit most equipment that we get here.  Unfortunately we do not get as wide a range as I would like but it's not too bad.  Over the past 18 - 24 months I have hit every single driver that has been released into our market and nothing has made me go WOW until I hit the Sumo2.

I hit it about a month before its worldwide release (It is only being released in South Africa at the end of this month) and for the first time I went WOW.  the one I hit was a 9.5* with a stiff Diamana.  Not an OEM Mitsubishi shaft but the real McCoy.

I enjoyed the Sumo2 so much my thought process says the Tour should be a beaut.  I haven't hit it yet but I am waiting expectantly for it to arrive.  My SS is pretty high at 118 with a very late release ala Sergio and my launch and spin rates are extremely high so I am hoping the Tour with a 73X Diamana will do the trick.  Else it's gonna be back to my G2 with Penley ETA.

#15 hbear

hbear

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3507
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:13 PM

Hit the Sumo2 for the first time yesterday...felt really cheaped made (like a kid's toy)...it felt as though I could push my finger through the crown top...I'm waiting for one to crack in the store but some dude pushing on it.

9.5* with V2 stiff shaft.
First drive on the LM was so loud my ears rang for a couple seconds after.
I personally didn't like the feel of the head during the swing.  Hard to explain, but something sure felt odd with such a big headed (physical size...not volume) driver.
Dispertion was really good, and I could work a draw out of it, but not as easy to shape as the 905r.
Setup was easy due to the square shape.
However I did notice a lack of feel as to where on the clubface I hit the ball.  I had to look for the ballmark on the face to tell where I hit it.
That and the lack of ball speed compared to my 905r...I'm sure part of it was the shaft, but I still can't see myself moving to this driver.

Apparently they sold a pile of them on the weekend, we'll see how many are in the used club bin in 2 months.

Edited by hbear, 08 February 2007 - 09:03 PM.

Taylormade SLDR 430 10.5* w/ Ahina 70x
Callaway XHot Pro 15* w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

#16 kafka01

kafka01

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23442
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:50 AM

Got  a  Sumo2 10.5° Reg. and only could hit it from the range now. Used a R7 460 before and i would say its more easy to get it straight and on the fairway than with the R7 (I just play for 5 months now) and you also get enough distance on bad shots (when hitting offcenter and still goes straight)

I have to agree with previous posters - its so incredible loud that i seriously think about using earplugs when hitting it from the range - the impact sound of the R7 is really nothing against it. And i guess the noise is quite disturbing for other people on the range.

Will try it on the course under normal summer conditions in the next 3 weeks and decide if to stay with R7 or switch over to Nike.

#17 Golfngriff

Golfngriff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21040

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:34 PM

I bought the Sumo 2 on Sumo Saturday.  Hit it pretty well on the launch monitor.  I hit about 20 or 30 shots.  It took a little a few shots to used to the look...  It felt pretty good and the sound was loud but you get used to it.  HOWEVER,  I have played two rounds with it and it will not stay in my bag...  I hit almost everything left.  I know that sounds like a shaft problem but I don't think it is.  When I tried to compensate the left trend I would block it right.  I did finally get a little used to it but it almost felt like work.  Why should I feel like I have to work at hitting a driver that is supposed to be the easiest thing out there to hit?  I'm a 6 handicap and have been playing over 20 years and just wanted a club where I could walk up to the tee take a smooth swing and not even think about it.  I'm going back to the 905R.

#18 matthewk

matthewk

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8208

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:55 PM

It it so loud I could never play it.. It feels like an altoids tin box, sounds like one too..

#19 golf80808

golf80808

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130759

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:06 AM

I hit it and didn't care for it.  I'll stay with my SQ for now.

#20 mahbles

mahbles

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4588
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

I just picked up a Sumo Squared and I tell you what, ball go far.  The sound does remind me of an aluminum bat, so not to jolting, especially if you're a fan of College baseball.  The one drawback is that people will know when you're taking a mulligan off the tee.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 leeux

leeux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16519
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:55 AM

Played one on the range yesterday, probably one of the first ones in Germany.

It was a 10.5 degree with regular stock shaft, so my friends and I were swinging really easy.

Performance is pretty much as advertised, it is straight, I have problems with frequent slices with the driver but this monster just goes straight and sometimes a tiny fade. Have to agree though no way you can shape this thing but then this is not its intention. As I said we tried to be gentle, but I tried to crush a couple and it was pretty long then, I would not say 20 yds longer than this or that but overall I was pretty surprised even with the shappy shaft.

I guess with a 9.5 degree and stiff shaft, this driver would really rock.

I will not buy one though, never ever...it is just too LOUD! Nike should really do something about this, put some foam or whatever in the head, this thing can really hurt your hearing. I can live with the size and weird form, even with the crappy headcover but not with the sound. Shotgun, aluminum bat, you heard it all before. If you like the attention on the course, sure go ahead...

#22 petegolf

petegolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21505

Posted 02 March 2007 - 11:23 PM

I really wanted this club to work for me.  It just ain't gonna happen.  First I tried the Sumo, 9.5, with the Aldila Proto shaft, stiff.  This wasn't that bad.  Trajectory was a little low, distance was 10-15 yards shorter than my FT-3.  Feel was completely dead.  Control was pretty good.  Basically the ball just goes straight.  Bad swings result in a straight push shot.  For me that results in a straight push right.  Then I tried the Sumo with a 10.5, stock Diamana stiff.  Trajectory is better, and that's the end of the good.  This combination was a about 25 to 30 yards shorter than my FT-3, with absolutely no control.  If you try to fade it you get a slice, try to draw it and it hooks.  Then there's the embarrassment of the sound.  It really is too loud.  Dead feel.  Nike missed the mark with this club.

#23 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 821
GolfWRX Likes : 548

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:42 AM

I've now demoed the Nike 3 times and everytime I fade the ball. I can't turn the damn thing over to save my life. I've tried the standard shaft in R and S and I tried the VS proto in it in R and S. I dont like all the yellow and the shape is less than desirable, BUT I really like how it sits on the ground at address. One of the easiest to address drivers I've hit.... then swing and a slice or fade everytime....  must be me.

And that sound drives me nuts.
Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#24 Gallery_lovetaylormade_*

Gallery_lovetaylormade_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:57 PM

this driver has a horrible sound but i like the shaft gave me a really low trajectory

#25 bryceiscool

bryceiscool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20844

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:24 AM

i hate the sound and look overall horrible driver

#26 govtcheez

govtcheez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20616

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:45 PM

got the driver in 8.5 loft with VS Proto 65-S and tested it out on the range for two session and played 1 round. Overall, I like it. The noise is definitely something to get used to. Everyone on the range will look to see where it's coming from. It carries about 5-10 yards less than my TM R5 with same loft and 757 stiff shaft, but it does roll a little more, so the yardage is about the same. Where this club REALLY shines is the occasional mis-hits. There is very little loss in distance (20-30 yards opposed to 50-60 yards) and it will usually stay in the fairway. This is due to the fact that when you hit it out on the toe, it doesn't hit a big hook, and when you hit it on the heel, it doesn't hit a big slice. Probably not a great club for the really low to scratch golfers, but ideal for those that are high singles and above.

#27 bigpoppapuffandstuff

bigpoppapuffandstuff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16230
  • Ebay ID:tenzingyatso

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:01 AM

Once again fella's,
                           I have last years Sasquatch 'Lucky 13' and loved it (the first season I haven't left my driver in the trunk all season), so I really had high hopes for this club. Bought the Sumo2 'Lucky 13', Callaway FTi 11 degree and the Taylormade Burner HT....all in regular flex stock graphite shafts. The Sumo2 and the FTi both got burned by the Burner! Straighter, longer, better sound.....and I had most of my strikes right on the sweet spot (I had heel hits galore on bothe the Callaway and the Nike). I am not a guy to shy away from innovation but I guess I'm not a "square driver" kind of guy.

#28 r7425

r7425

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8130

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:40 PM

Just got back from the range, saw a Sumo2 demo, so I decided to give it a few whacks.
Specs: Nike Sumo2, 10.5, stock stiff shaft
Distance- For not looking for a good fit and just taking one out of the Nike demo bag, not too bad. I typically hit the ball low off the driver and this driver really helped me increase my trajectory. On center hits, traveled maybe 5-8 yards longer than my current driver.
Accuracy- Where this club really shines. As long as you keep the clubface square at impact, the ball still carries out there a good long way. Playing a 400cc driver, I was amazed at how far balls went when mishit. It's not a miracle club, but it'll definitely help you hit more fairways.
Sound/Feel- When I teed up the first ball I scared myself and the person on the range next to me. After a couple of balls I got used to it and found it to be tolerable, but this is the area that can be improved on.
Overall- Definitely something I'd consider buying. A little too pricey at $400 right now, though. The club looks gigantic at address and sits incredibly square (double meaning I suppose). I was very confident that I could swing 100% and the ball would stay on the planet. My favorite unconventional driver I've hit so far.

#29 sfvelo

sfvelo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28477

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:34 PM

I have to agree that the Sumo2 is obnoxiously noisy and looks funny.  But, it is straight...really straight.   I had this driver with the stock X flex diamana shaft and an FT-5 Tour on the range.  

I was not feeling my swing and was not hitting the FT-5 well.  I was pulling it and slicing it.  However, with the Sumo2 I was hitting it straight.  When I tried to hit a draw and was able to do so.  Fades were tougher.  It will be in my bag tomorrow because I am confident that I will hit fairways.  As for length, I was hitting range balls 260 which is a little shorter (10 yards) than usual.  But being in the fairway will be nice.

#30 GolfingAsia

GolfingAsia

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33621

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:24 AM

The club is a toy.   My friend was desperate enough to buy it and swears by the extra distance...I had to calmly expain to him that extra distance is not relative to loudness.

Second, it has no ball marker on the crown....this really annoys me btw....what is the reasoning behind this?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors