Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Clubs for a 12 year old?


30 replies to this topic

#1 MNNikeGuy

MNNikeGuy

    Oven bag is down to 10 now/ back to all Nike!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62144
  • Joined: 08/02/2008
  • Location:Minnesota
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

My 12 year old is starting to play more golf and needs clubs. He's like 5.2. Do i get him mens regular or Sr flex and cut them down? all Jr sets are two short and the grips are really thin.

Any help would be great .
Thanks

CP Black LE 11.5* VTS Tour SPX Black
CP 2.0 - 15* VTS Tour SPX Black
Vr Forged 3-PW Splits, Modus3 S120
Vr Forged Raw 52/10 & 58* TS
RZN Platinum / Pro V1
Method 006 Paul Casey Prototype 33"
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 tmfool

tmfool

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58511
  • Joined: 06/21/2008
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

womens length best until at least 5'6".....worst thing you can do is let a young golfer learn bad habits w/ clubs that are too long & too heavy.
i dont like cutting down clubs for juniors - flex and swingweight changes and they can become stiffer and lighter (not a good combination.
look for a used women's set in gender neutral color.
you might get 2yrs out of one set - before he grows enough for men's length.

think of it this way:
if he currently wears size 10 Nike's - would you buy him size 12.5?
or if he plays LL baseball - would you give hime Big Papi's bat?
Tour Preferred MB 6-PW Aerotech i110
MB 49* &Ping Tour 56* SF 125
DHY 27* Super Pro 23* Steelfiber i110
Rescue 19* i110 Jetspeed TS 14* RIP 70b
SLDR 12* - Speeder 57 X
Spider Ghost C/S

#3 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

    BIG K

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
  • Joined: 07/06/2011
  • Location:On The Green
GolfWRX Likes : 1824

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

Did you check with PING? It was my understanding they had a nice variety of JR. Clubs and a life time guarantee.

            Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin


#4 MNNikeGuy

MNNikeGuy

    Oven bag is down to 10 now/ back to all Nike!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62144
  • Joined: 08/02/2008
  • Location:Minnesota
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

 tmfool, on 02 June 2012 - 06:12 PM, said:

womens length best until at least 5'6".....worst thing you can do is let a young golfer learn bad habits w/ clubs that are too long & too heavy.
i dont like cutting down clubs for juniors - flex and swingweight changes and they can become stiffer and lighter (not a good combination.
look for a used women's set in gender neutral color.
you might get 2yrs out of one set - before he grows enough for men's length.

think of it this way:
if he currently wears size 10 Nike's - would you buy him size 12.5?
or if he plays LL baseball - would you give hime Big Papi's bat?

Thanks for your help. I take it at 5'6"  he will be tall enough for mens ?
CP Black LE 11.5* VTS Tour SPX Black
CP 2.0 - 15* VTS Tour SPX Black
Vr Forged 3-PW Splits, Modus3 S120
Vr Forged Raw 52/10 & 58* TS
RZN Platinum / Pro V1
Method 006 Paul Casey Prototype 33"
WITB Link

#5 MNNikeGuy

MNNikeGuy

    Oven bag is down to 10 now/ back to all Nike!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62144
  • Joined: 08/02/2008
  • Location:Minnesota
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

 Ondeck25, on 02 June 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

Did you check with PING? It was my understanding they had a nice variety of JR. Clubs and a life time guarantee.
No i havent. All Jr sets i see, he's too tall for. Does piong make longer ones?

CP Black LE 11.5* VTS Tour SPX Black
CP 2.0 - 15* VTS Tour SPX Black
Vr Forged 3-PW Splits, Modus3 S120
Vr Forged Raw 52/10 & 58* TS
RZN Platinum / Pro V1
Method 006 Paul Casey Prototype 33"
WITB Link

#6 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

    BIG K

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
  • Joined: 07/06/2011
  • Location:On The Green
GolfWRX Likes : 1824

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:51 AM

I thought they did. Check their website or shoot them a call maybe the can help you out.

            Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin


#7 Cwing

Cwing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
  • Joined: 08/10/2007
  • Location:Go Big Blue!!! 8x Champs. Who Dey !!! Go Bengals,
GolfWRX Likes : 307

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

US Kids golf makes them for taller kids. Dicks has them for taller kids.
G30 10* vs G25 10.5* & 12*
G25 15* & k15 16*
G25 20*,  K15 23* & 27* hybrids
G25 5 - U. DG XP s300
STX Profit 6 vs Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
Cleveland 54 Rtx, 60 cg12
WITB Link

#8 dxf411

dxf411

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36720
  • Joined: 08/07/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

can't go wrong with ladies clubs, and there'll be a much bigger choice than juniors clubs

#9 Kevie Ray

Kevie Ray

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105715
  • Joined: 04/02/2010
  • Location:East Bay.....SF
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:43 AM

 dxf411, on 03 June 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

can't go wrong with ladies clubs, and there'll be a much bigger choice than juniors clubs

Agreed, but the biggest issue is the color schemes if you are buying for a boy.

#10 MNNikeGuy

MNNikeGuy

    Oven bag is down to 10 now/ back to all Nike!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62144
  • Joined: 08/02/2008
  • Location:Minnesota
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

 Kevie Ray, on 03 June 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

 dxf411, on 03 June 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

can't go wrong with ladies clubs, and there'll be a much bigger choice than juniors clubs

Agreed, but the biggest issue is the color schemes if you are buying for a boy.

Women R flex, or do they only come in R? I take it the lenght will be longer then Jr and shorter then men?

CP Black LE 11.5* VTS Tour SPX Black
CP 2.0 - 15* VTS Tour SPX Black
Vr Forged 3-PW Splits, Modus3 S120
Vr Forged Raw 52/10 & 58* TS
RZN Platinum / Pro V1
Method 006 Paul Casey Prototype 33"
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#11 Narch

Narch

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120021
  • Joined: 01/05/2011
  • Ebay ID:westdecaturcolt
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

Tour Edge makes a set of clubs for teens. They're called varsity hp7 i think.

Maxfli does too, but i don't know the quality of either of these.

Edited by Narch, 03 June 2012 - 01:58 PM.


#12 HenB0gan

HenB0gan

    Hook 'Em Horns

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 172825
  • Joined: 04/04/2012
  • Location:Frisco, Tx
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:42 AM

From what i was told when I was looking for a set for my 10yr old, 5'3" 120lbs, was that it's not just the length of the clubs but also the flex of the shafts. When I had my son fitted his swing speed was to fast for a junior flex shaft. Not knowing the amount of money you are willing to spend looking into a ladies set with non gender specific colors will probably be your best bet. It's not just about him out growing the length of club but the flex in the shafts also.
Nike Covert Tour 9.5* Kuro Kage 60X
Nike Covert Tour 3 FW 15* Kura Kage 70X
Titleist 712U 2i w/ DG X100
Titleist 690.mb 3-PW w/ DG X100
Titleist SM 56* Callaway Forged Raw 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

#13 MNNikeGuy

MNNikeGuy

    Oven bag is down to 10 now/ back to all Nike!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62144
  • Joined: 08/02/2008
  • Location:Minnesota
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

 HenB0gan, on 05 June 2012 - 02:42 AM, said:

From what i was told when I was looking for a set for my 10yr old, 5'3" 120lbs, was that it's not just the length of the clubs but also the flex of the shafts. When I had my son fitted his swing speed was to fast for a junior flex shaft. Not knowing the amount of money you are willing to spend looking into a ladies set with non gender specific colors will probably be your best bet. It's not just about him out growing the length of club but the flex in the shafts also.

Thanks, Did you get your son ladies or what did you get him?  Do they only come in one flex for the ladies?
CP Black LE 11.5* VTS Tour SPX Black
CP 2.0 - 15* VTS Tour SPX Black
Vr Forged 3-PW Splits, Modus3 S120
Vr Forged Raw 52/10 & 58* TS
RZN Platinum / Pro V1
Method 006 Paul Casey Prototype 33"
WITB Link

#14 theebdk

theebdk

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119507
  • Joined: 12/28/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

My 14 y/o son's pro recommended ladies club last summer so he has a set of Adams.  He really wants my olf R7s and with his first lesson this year will have the Pro look at them and decide if ready.  He is getting close to 5 and a half feet.

My daughter will start her first lesson with the same pro soon.  She has the Maxfli teen set.  A bit long but growing into them.  When my son drops the ladies clubs I can probably transition to the daughter.  But the key concept for both, ask a qualified Pro.

#15 W2_Golfer

W2_Golfer

    Advanced

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162633
  • Joined: 02/12/2012
  • Location:Houston, Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

The Adams teen sets are amazing, seriously.  Great for junior teens.  They may be too flimsy but I would just try them out, like you should try and do with the women's clubs.


#16 HenB0gan

HenB0gan

    Hook 'Em Horns

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 172825
  • Joined: 04/04/2012
  • Location:Frisco, Tx
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

 MNNikeGuy, on 05 June 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

 HenB0gan, on 05 June 2012 - 02:42 AM, said:

From what i was told when I was looking for a set for my 10yr old, 5'3" 120lbs, was that it's not just the length of the clubs but also the flex of the shafts. When I had my son fitted his swing speed was to fast for a junior flex shaft. Not knowing the amount of money you are willing to spend looking into a ladies set with non gender specific colors will probably be your best bet. It's not just about him out growing the length of club but the flex in the shafts also.

Thanks, Did you get your son ladies or what did you get him?  Do they only come in one flex for the ladies?

I had my club builder, Bo Hodnett, fit him and build his clubs. Bo works on several of the local tour pro's clubs and is a great guy that does exceptional work. The iron heads are Adobe a Callaway Diablo knockoff. The driver is Adams Idea A12 and fairway wood is the Adams Speedline  F-11, and the hybrids are X-9 Extreme MOI. Graphite shafts are UST Competition 65 L/A flex (driver, 5 wood, 4h & 5h) and iron shafts are Apollo (7i-sand wedge).
Nike Covert Tour 9.5* Kuro Kage 60X
Nike Covert Tour 3 FW 15* Kura Kage 70X
Titleist 712U 2i w/ DG X100
Titleist 690.mb 3-PW w/ DG X100
Titleist SM 56* Callaway Forged Raw 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

#17 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

    Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,731 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Maine
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3374

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

Ladies set? Are you guys kidding? Gonna scar that kid for life and he will walk from the game the minute he gets teased for having a set of ladies clubs by anyone willing to open their mouth. Better to find some components and build from scratch.
Mizuno JPX EZ 9.5/Aldila RIP Phenom TX
Mizuno Mp 650 15/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 650 19, 22/Aldila Vs Proto 95x
Mizuno Mp 68 4-pw/DG x100
Mizuno Mp T5 52, 58/DG s400 black chrome
Odyssey White Ice #7
WITB Link

#18 HenB0gan

HenB0gan

    Hook 'Em Horns

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 172825
  • Joined: 04/04/2012
  • Location:Frisco, Tx
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

 MadGolfer76, on 06 June 2012 - 03:33 AM, said:

Ladies set? Are you guys kidding? Gonna scar that kid for life and he will walk from the game the minute he gets teased for having a set of ladies clubs by anyone willing to open their mouth. Better to find some components and build from scratch.

Not knowing the amount of money the OP is willing to spend a ladies set might be the best option. Yes,if money wasnt an issue then yes building a set with ladies flex shafts would be better than purchasing a ladies set. However, I'm sure there are non gender specific colored lady sets available that a 12yr old wouldn't know they were a ladies set if they were not told.

Edited by HenB0gan, 06 June 2012 - 10:45 PM.

Nike Covert Tour 9.5* Kuro Kage 60X
Nike Covert Tour 3 FW 15* Kura Kage 70X
Titleist 712U 2i w/ DG X100
Titleist 690.mb 3-PW w/ DG X100
Titleist SM 56* Callaway Forged Raw 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

#19 Vince.Cole

Vince.Cole

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108848
  • Joined: 06/01/2010
  • Location:Calfornia
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

US KIDS golf clubs are the best golf clubs for juniors and kids in my opinion.

#20 danzur

danzur

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179544
  • Joined: 05/07/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

My son, who just turned 13 (4'11, 100 lbs)....swing speed in the low 80's, left handed....had been using USKids clubs over the years. He also had a Callaway Junior set at some point also.  All served him well, he wore most of them out over time.  He grew out of the USKids 60" clubs quicker than we thought (I thought they would get him through the tournament season this year), but he needed to upgrade right when the season started which was tough.

PING was in town at Golfsmith so we had him fitted with them.  I was thinking women's or senior graphite shafts, but surprisingly he hit the "soft R" steel shafts much better, and much higher than graphite.  The fitted him with the purple dot (1.5 degree flat) and the shafts were shortened 1' to 1 1/2" depending on the club.  3 wedges, 5-9 irons, hybrid, 4 wood, and a G15 driver.  It wasn't cheap, but far cheaper than the new G20's.  A tremendous upgrade over any "kids set", and fit to his size and swing.

They were custom ordered from the factory at no additional charge and we had them in about 2 weeks. Would have been quicker but some pieces were out of stock at the time of the order.

I wouldn't order clubs like this without working with the PING clubfitters as the can mix and max shafts, and heads so you can feel and see ball flight.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#21 MNNikeGuy

MNNikeGuy

    Oven bag is down to 10 now/ back to all Nike!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62144
  • Joined: 08/02/2008
  • Location:Minnesota
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

View Postdanzur, on 29 July 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

My son, who just turned 13 (4'11, 100 lbs)....swing speed in the low 80's, left handed....had been using USKids clubs over the years. He also had a Callaway Junior set at some point also.  All served him well, he wore most of them out over time.  He grew out of the USKids 60" clubs quicker than we thought (I thought they would get him through the tournament season this year), but he needed to upgrade right when the season started which was tough.

PING was in town at Golfsmith so we had him fitted with them.  I was thinking women's or senior graphite shafts, but surprisingly he hit the "soft R" steel shafts much better, and much higher than graphite.  The fitted him with the purple dot (1.5 degree flat) and the shafts were shortened 1' to 1 1/2" depending on the club.  3 wedges, 5-9 irons, hybrid, 4 wood, and a G15 driver.  It wasn't cheap, but far cheaper than the new G20's.  A tremendous upgrade over any "kids set", and fit to his size and swing.

They were custom ordered from the factory at no additional charge and we had them in about 2 weeks. Would have been quicker but some pieces were out of stock at the time of the order.

I wouldn't order clubs like this without working with the PING clubfitters as the can mix and max shafts, and heads so you can feel and see ball flight.
Cool ! Thanks.
CP Black LE 11.5* VTS Tour SPX Black
CP 2.0 - 15* VTS Tour SPX Black
Vr Forged 3-PW Splits, Modus3 S120
Vr Forged Raw 52/10 & 58* TS
RZN Platinum / Pro V1
Method 006 Paul Casey Prototype 33"
WITB Link

#22 golow

golow

    I Gots Issues

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 652 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 725
  • Joined: 05/19/2005
  • Location:CT
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

My son is 10 and 5'1". He uses the PING Moxie irons, 3W and hybrid, US kids SW, and the Nike SQ Jr driver extended. Irons are now too short. I could have extended them but he really needs more than just a 7 and 9.

Just ordered US Kids Tour series 60 5-PW, GW,SW. In a year or two he'll be able to handle one of my sets of irons reshafted. Total weight is the biggest concern at this age.

His putter is a 20 yo BeCu Anser 3 ... Passed on by a Canadian Pro. I told him it's the only putter he's allowed to use until someone pays him play something else :)

golow™

#23 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,819 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
  • Joined: 02/07/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 720

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

C'mon Dad, Ladies set?  Do your due diligence and get him anything other than a Ladies set. Like a previous poster said, the boys will rip him a new one when he shows up with the Dinah Shore classics.

That being said, here you go:

http://www.dicksspor...4.4414182#green

Edited by KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE, 29 July 2012 - 05:39 PM.


#24 jollysammy

jollysammy

    Jollysammy

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99257
  • Joined: 11/26/2009
  • Location:Belmont, CA
  • Ebay ID:ajjustin
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostMNNikeGuy, on 02 June 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

My 12 year old is starting to play more golf and needs clubs. He's like 5.2. Do i get him mens regular or Sr flex and cut them down? all Jr sets are two short and the grips are really thin.

Any help would be great .
Thanks

My son is 12 and 5'4".  When he was 9 I bought him Cobra SSi's senior flex graphite shafts and cut them down 2 inches.  He hit those great until he turned 12 and with a growth spurt got a lot stronger so they became whippy on him.  He wanted blades so we found a used set of Mizuno MP-33s at the local golf store with S300 stiff shafts. At first he didn't hit them as far as the graphites but they were much more accurate.  After 6 months with these he went from shooting 89-90 to now  80-82 and his hdcp dropped to 12.  They made him stronger so he now hits all his clubs better.

#25 MNNikeGuy

MNNikeGuy

    Oven bag is down to 10 now/ back to all Nike!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62144
  • Joined: 08/02/2008
  • Location:Minnesota
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

View Postjollysammy, on 28 November 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

View PostMNNikeGuy, on 02 June 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

My 12 year old is starting to play more golf and needs clubs. He's like 5.2. Do i get him mens regular or Sr flex and cut them down? all Jr sets are two short and the grips are really thin.

Any help would be great .
Thanks

My son is 12 and 5'4".  When he was 9 I bought him Cobra SSi's senior flex graphite shafts and cut them down 2 inches.  He hit those great until he turned 12 and with a growth spurt got a lot stronger so they became whippy on him.  He wanted blades so we found a used set of Mizuno MP-33s at the local golf store with S300 stiff shafts. At first he didn't hit them as far as the graphites but they were much more accurate.  After 6 months with these he went from shooting 89-90 to now  80-82 and his hdcp dropped to 12.  They made him stronger so he now hits all his clubs better.
Cool! Thanks!
May be i'll just go to 2nd swing and pick him up a cheap set with R300 or something like that.

CP Black LE 11.5* VTS Tour SPX Black
CP 2.0 - 15* VTS Tour SPX Black
Vr Forged 3-PW Splits, Modus3 S120
Vr Forged Raw 52/10 & 58* TS
RZN Platinum / Pro V1
Method 006 Paul Casey Prototype 33"
WITB Link

#26 JBirdUt

JBirdUt

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180076
  • Joined: 05/09/2012
  • Ebay ID:J.r.1968
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

Take a look at www.flynn-golf.com I like what they're doing.  I haven't seen them but friends who have them are quite pleased.



#27 jollysammy

jollysammy

    Jollysammy

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99257
  • Joined: 11/26/2009
  • Location:Belmont, CA
  • Ebay ID:ajjustin
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PostMNNikeGuy, on 28 November 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

View Postjollysammy, on 28 November 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

View PostMNNikeGuy, on 02 June 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

My 12 year old is starting to play more golf and needs clubs. He's like 5.2. Do i get him mens regular or Sr flex and cut them down? all Jr sets are two short and the grips are really thin.

Any help would be great .
Thanks

My son is 12 and 5'4".  When he was 9 I bought him Cobra SSi's senior flex graphite shafts and cut them down 2 inches.  He hit those great until he turned 12 and with a growth spurt got a lot stronger so they became whippy on him.  He wanted blades so we found a used set of Mizuno MP-33s at the local golf store with S300 stiff shafts. At first he didn't hit them as far as the graphites but they were much more accurate.  After 6 months with these he went from shooting 89-90 to now  80-82 and his hdcp dropped to 12.  They made him stronger so he now hits all his clubs better.
Cool! Thanks!
May be i'll just go to 2nd swing and pick him up a cheap set with R300 or something like that.

Be sure to have him try them out first.  Blades are not for everyone.  My son is a precise ball striker, the Mizuno blades were hardly used and the lady at the store told us that my son was the only junior to ever buy blades from her. I thnk people buy blades and then discover they can't hit them consistently and exchange later.   For $100 I felt we couldn't go wrong and if he didn't like them, I could re-sell them on ebay for at least that much.  We spent another $100 regripping with New Decade Multi-compound black white grips.  He hit them solid in the store off the mat.  First thing we noticed was the distances were shorter due to the heavier weight and traditional lofts, but the accuracy and repeatability were a lot better.

#28 Rudd

Rudd

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131349
  • Joined: 06/22/2011
  • Location:Georgia
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

I have my 11 year old 5' 1" in ping Soft R, D, fw, and Irons. He has a TM 11 hybrid in Senior flex.
I started him with G5's that I got off the bay and I harvested Soft R shafts out of what I could here and there.
He has a set of ping G10's irons(LEFTY) that had been cut one down for a lady 1". So I only cut them 1/2" more, and regripped.  He stripes them!
I have tinkered with his driver and 3w in Reg flex, but it is still to much club for him. Soft R is the way to go. I am going to look at Regular flex when he gets 13, or he gets to about 5' 5".

I agree with above posters about Tour Edge. He grew out of the largest Junior set Tour edge had very fast, but he really enjoyed them. IMO they were great clubs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Teen sets from Tour Edge. However, I am a man cave clubmaker, and I enjoying making his own clubs.

Edited by Rudd, 28 November 2012 - 09:27 PM.


#29 Hrocks

Hrocks

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7101
  • Joined: 10/25/2005
  • Location:Northern Ohio
  • Ebay ID:Originalhrocks
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

View PostJBirdUt, on 28 November 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

Take a look at www.flynn-golf.com I like what they're doing.  I haven't seen them but friends who have them are quite pleased.

Mike Flynn makes awesome junior (only) custom clubs!  Have had a couple of sets as my son has grown.  He uses proprietary UST shafts which made all the difference in the world.  The irons launch great, and he has a number of really lightweight driver heads 16* and down.  When my guy was about 9-10, changing from US Kids equipment to the VT Max clubs that Flynn makes was a golf epiphany!

BTW, Rudd-- being that you like to build your own clubs, you may want to take a look at Golfworks Ltech driver heads.  They are for Seniors and Ladies, and are available in 15* and 13* 460cc.  With their own house brand graphite shafts, they are very cost effective.  Just checked for someone, and the whole kit is now only $66 bucks!  My 12 yr old is killing the 13* senior shaft set up.  (- 1-1/2")

Edited by Hrocks, 01 December 2012 - 10:16 AM.


#30 GanoGolf808

GanoGolf808

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250332
  • Joined: 05/13/2013
  • Location:Honolulu,Hawaii
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:24 AM

5'2-played game enhancement irons, now have a bladed combo set.
maybe the best choice i have ever done


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.






Reply to this topic



  


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors