Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

GolfWRX Taylormade RBZ Standard Head 3 & 5 Fairway Wood Review

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dscvrr St Louis

Dscvrr St Louis

#CALLAWRX 12/12/12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105250
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 489

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:20 AM

Product Tested---
Taylormade RBZ --ROCKETBALLZ--Standard Head 3 and 5 Fairway Wood -both are shafted with RIP Phenom 70X with R11s Graphics, each club is cut 1/2 inch shorter than standard, both have Lamkin 3gen Permawrap grips on them.(I love this grip and it is now discontinued I believe).  Much thanks to GolfWRX for the chance to do the testing and to share the experience.

Player Profile and Background--

I am 45-going on 46 in October, 5' 10", going all of 250+(most would think around there...I carry it well)!!  :bb2:

I have been playing golf since 12 years of age--seriously playing since age 28 or so.

I work part time at a Golf Galaxy here in STL, been there going on 3 years.  But, I was a golf geek way before that..never kept a stock shaft, always tinkered, but usually kept my equipment for a decent amount of time.  I can hit anything that comes into the store...I have hit everything that comes in the store...I need to know how it feels to give the customer the best insite.

Currently playing to around a  4 handicap when at my best, maybe a 6-8 on bad days.

SS is 113-115mph driver.

General information on the club(s) tested:
Everyone knows what they are..RBZ...Rocketballz...TM's White Whales!(as dubbed by a friend of mine).  You can readily indentify them on the tour or at your local muni or private club...they stand out..they are WHITE!
Tested were the Standard head 3 and 5 wood.

PRO's:
Easy to align these clubs--the white crown and black face contrast a line that is very easy to aim where you want to start the ball.
Shape of the head is very solid, not too big(197cc) and not too small.
Slightly keel shaped front edge, less turf interaction

Con's:
Will look large to some
White is a turn off to some
Is slightly draw biased

Bottom Line:
Innovation doesn't notice looks and color the way innovation makes it's presense felt with the Speed Pocket from Taylormade.  The Speed Pocket raises the COR on the RBZ line of fairway woods to .81, higher than any other STEEL fairways.  At almost the COR level of today's drivers, these fairway woods really get the ball off the tee and off the turf with easier distance and you don't have to change your swing!

Playing Review:
I play quite a bit, actually at least once per week during the season, and well, even when not in season...I don't really get cold...one friend calls me 'Nanook of the North'...Scandinavian hertige!
I received the RBZ 3 wood back in December and did a small write up on the standard shafted version a few of us received.  I didn't compare it to my gamer at the time, but wanted to just go out and play a few rounds over the winter and see what it could do.  I knew the shaft was lighter, but it held up well with the swing overall...and it bombed the ball.  I would take it into GG and let customers hit it to see what they had to look forward to in February when it officially launched.  After the release...the 3 was reshafted to it's current configuration and the 5 wood showed up shortly after.
My old 3 wood I would hit around 250 off the tee, 240 turf and it saw a lot of action on par 4's and going after the par 5's.  After a few rounds on the usual courses, I realized the RBZ wasn't like the 'old' 3 wood.
I can take the RBZ off par 4's that I normally take driver, especially the shorter ones, to leave a more full shot into the greens.
One course we play is where I can really tell the differences...there is an 'S' shaped par 5 that is flat on the bottom half and all up hill at about a 30* incline for the second half.  The tee shot is tuff, the right side drops off and the left side on the way up is tree lined, so you have to be right center to have any shot up the hill.  I hit a good drive to the right center in my second round out and had 220 uphill to the green, this is on a 45* day in December(at least no snow). This green is deep and with the uphill it is about 265-270 to get all the way to the back of the green.  Hit a really solid shot and the ball was mid way back on the back half of the green, at least 255-260 up the hill.  Lucky to make front edge with the old gamer.  Another par 4 on the front nine is a dogleg left that plays about 380, hadn't hit driver well on the first few holes and this is a fairway must hole, hit the RBZ 3 off the tee and had 110 into the green.  I am hitting the 5 wood now on shots that I would have hit the old 3 wood...not quite that long, but long enough for those shorter yardages, about 235-240 off the turf, maybe 250 off the tee.  Both fairways are NAILS off the tee and I found no issues at all off the turf, even at the 197cc size.

Looks:
Always on everyone's mind and tongue is the WHITE.  I like the white with the black face...I think it really lines the club up easily and takes one more thing off your mind at address.  The shape is very much Taylormade and actually looks very solid for it's size...not huge, but not super compact either.  The face is more mid depth to slightly deep, I have seen smaller not doubt, but I have also seen larger.  The Speed Pocket on the bottom will get your attention, almost the length of the face, about half the depth of the face and almost 1/4 inch across,  and the weight isn't in the back of the club, moved to the front, right behind the Speed Pocket, it reduces the spin.  The paint job is solid and smooth to the touch, glossy black and gray on the bottom with RBZ splashed across the middle of the sole.  SHARP!

Performance/Playability:
Long is the definition for Rocketballz(RBZ) Fairways! How long will depend more on your swing speed than anything else.  The faster you swing the more you will benefit from the gain in distance.  I find the RBZ very easy to hit off the tee and just as easy off the turf..the sole is curved just enough to make it easy out of the rough also.  I can shape the ball both ways with either club, draws do come easier.  The trajectory is driver like off the tee, with lower launch and spin than you would think you could get out of a fairway wood.  Fast swingers will gain more, but moderate swingers will still gain.  I believe the club is a touch too long shaft wise in the standard configuration...get fit for the correct length. The Speed Pocket is across the whole face, forgiveness is extreme and loss of distance is reduced because of it.

Feel:
I LOVE hitting drivers!! :man_in_love:   These feel like you are hitting drivers off the tee!! A great feel at impact, a soft thwack and dense, solid vibration thru the hands.  Powerful and the ball launches effortlessly!! When you pure it you know it...NOTHING...just compression of the ball leaving the face.  Off the turf is surreal, I tend to take a touch of dirt at impact and the ball just feels like it is on the face forever, control wise, but gone so quick at the same time.  I like the non-tinny sound these fairways make, it is a solid, 'I just smoked a ball' sound..powerful feel.  When I first got it all my buddies were not dying to hit it, didn't want to, till they saw me hit it.  After impact, most just said 'Holy #$#)$#' !  and asked to hit it again later.

Overall Impressions:
It is a club that must be hit to understand the feel and the benefits of the Taylormade Speed Pocket and what it can do for someones game.  Yeah, it is white...I hear it all the time at the store, and then we test clubs, we see numbers, we feel the hits, see the flight and they leave with white.  The design works, it excels at moving the ball out there...farther and easier.  There is tweaking of current technology every year, a little more this and a little more that....this is a new innovation that changes how the fairway wood can move a ball.  Again, faster swingers will tend to gain more, but even moderate swingers will gain something.  The lowest gain I have seen is about 10 yards.  For most people that is one less club into a green, so even that gain has it's advantages.  They are easy to hit, easy to get airborn, and they look good doing it.
Taylormade has another winner here for sure...that said, I am not sure how much they can improve on it.  Maybe some adjustability in the future, maybe a Titanium face??  :shok:  How long would that be!?!?!

DSC02958.JPG   DSC02957.JPG

DSC02945.JPG   DSC02946.JPG

DSC02953.JPG   DSC02951.JPG

Big Bertha Alpha, Veylix Rome Wildeye
Big Bertha 15&18 Motore Speeder 8.1x
Apex UT 18*, Ctaper Lite 115X
Apex 4,5/Apex Pro 6-G Ctaper S+
Odyssey Versa #6 & MXM #6
Callaway MD2 52,54,58 Ctaper S+

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Dscvrr St Louis

Dscvrr St Louis

#CALLAWRX 12/12/12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105250
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 489

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

Just a quick update...replaced the RIP Phenom 70X in the 3 wood with the Kai'li 80X from my SFTP 2.0 15*, and the difference is not small. Trajectory is better, overall ball flight is better, and the dispersion is sssssoooooo slight.  Played tonight and hit it a few times on par 4's and a couple of par 5's.  One par 5 was 255 to the pin, up hill and needed a slight draw.  Hit it very well, thought maybe drew it a touch too much, but it ended up 3 feet for eagle....other was on an uphill par 5, marker stated 274 to back pin, hit it to 15ft.  Dead straight on that one.  Thing is just easy to hit off the turf, even in the standard head....wouldn't have sniffed either green with the SFTP 2.0 and I thought it was long!!

Not just tooting the horn, just never thought I would have a 3 wood capable of performing this well for me, this consistently!  There is a reason so many are seeing great results with these.
Big Bertha Alpha, Veylix Rome Wildeye
Big Bertha 15&18 Motore Speeder 8.1x
Apex UT 18*, Ctaper Lite 115X
Apex 4,5/Apex Pro 6-G Ctaper S+
Odyssey Versa #6 & MXM #6
Callaway MD2 52,54,58 Ctaper S+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors