Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

San Diego Padres & Phil

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OnOff

OnOff

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66028
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:22 PM

DUBLIN, Ohio (AP)  Phil Mickelson wants to be more than just a fan of the San Diego Padres. He wants to help buy the team.

Mickelson said Monday he has a joined one of the five groups trying to buy the team from John Moores, the Padres' majority owner for the last 18 years. Mickelson  is part of the group that includes four grandchildren of former Los  Angeles Dodgers owner Walter O'Malley - Kevin and Brian O'Malley, and  their cousins Peter and Tom Seidler, the chief executive of Class A  Visalia Rawhide.

''I've been talking to them about being involved with them, having an  opportunity to invest in the team and being part of the ownership  group,'' Mickelson said. ''I think it's a very good investment  opportunity. More than that, it's opportunity to be involved in the  community in San Diego,  with something that gives the community a sense of pride. I feel like  we can make the Padres a competitive team that can contend year in and  year out, and we can do something for the community.

''It's something I've loved since I was a kid.''

The San Diego Union-Tribune first reported the involvement of  Mickelson, a four-time major champion who was inducted this month into  the World Golf Hall of Fame. Mickelson brings the O'Malley clan a local  investor and of San Diego's greatest athletes.

San Diego's biggest baseball star - another lefty - is involved in  another group trying to buy the Padres. Tony Gwynn said last week he is  joining the bid led by Thomas Tull, chairman and CEO of Legendary  Entertainment.

''When we met with Phil we were inspired by his commitment to San  Diego and his passion for the Padres,'' Kevin O'Malley said in a  statement to the Union-Tribune. ''He is a world-class person, athlete  and businessman with a strong history of charitable leadership and he  will be an ideal partner for many years in San Diego.''

Mickelson said he was asked to get involved in an ownership bid three years ago, but didn't feel it was a good fit.

''I think the O'Malley and Seidler family is the right group,'' he  said. ''They want to enhance the community tie, and that's something  I've wanted to be part of, as well. The tie between the community and  the team has not been as strong as it has been in the past. I think  there are some things where we can increase that relationship, the  emotional tie with the community and the players.''

Moores' proposed sale of the team to Jeff Moorad  collapsed in March after baseball owners refused to approve Moorad as  controlling owner. Moorad headed a group that in March 2009 agreed to a  gradual takeover of the Padres. At the time, the deal was estimated to  be worth around $500 million.

The Padres could be worth a few hundred million more this time, in  light of the Dodgers being sold for a record $2 billion and the Padres'  new TV deal with Fox.

Moores owns 51 percent while Moorad's group owns 49 percent.

Asked about his proposed investment, Mickelson said only that it  would be ''a lot,'' and that it would be a ''significant investment  opportunity.''

As for his role?

''Day-to-day operations, running a sports organization, that's not my  forte,'' Mickelson said. ''I want to have a personal relationship with  the players and find ways to get them tied to the community, things of  that nature.''

http://sports.yahoo....ww7W0RXVVcRvLYF

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 PGArox

PGArox

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89725
GolfWRX Likes : 1046

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

That's beautiful, Phil.  Best of luck.

#3 tbowles411

tbowles411

Carolin Pinegger, BB:MB. Must see TV!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1876

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

Well, he can't make the Padres worse.  :cheesy:

Signed,

A Dodgers Fan.  :D

#4 OnOff

OnOff

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66028
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Pretty cool news.

Article regarding him turning down a similar opportunity in 2009.

http://blogs.golf.co...ego-padres.html

#5 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 1942

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Phil can throw bp and hit infield practice balls.

#6 doublenuts

doublenuts

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4154
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

POOF!! Phil -for now- wants nothing to do with owning a sports team.

http://www.utsandieg...-padres-owners/

Edited by doublenuts, 19 December 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#7 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 1942

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

View Postbscinstnct, on 29 May 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

Phil can throw bp and hit infield practice balls.

Ha!

This could be the start of entirely new

Baseball fielding practice Methodology.

Imagine Philly Fresh at the plate blasting punch shots at the third baseman or cutting line drives to the right fielder.

With a golf ball!!

#8 RainShadow

RainShadow

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85204
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

Phil's probably moving out of Cali due to TAXES!
Cobra BioCell+ Matrix Red Tie
XHot 15*3wd & 19* 5wd stock PX
G25 23*
Apex/ Apex pro combo Recoil 95
SM4 54/11 & 58/9 KBS Tour
TP Mills Soft Tail / SC Monterey 1.5

#9 knowgolf

knowgolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 164563
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

I highly doubt that. He can obviously afford the taxes, and in exchange he gets to live in a beautiful area that's very convenient for him for several reasons.  Besides, you don't have to live in the same state as the baseball team you want to invest in. He probably just saw that while being a part-owner of a baseball team sounds cool, when you actually see how the business side works, it may be a turnoff. It can't help that the Padres aren't a good team anyway. Why would he want to be associated with their shortcomings?

#10 cdnglf

cdnglf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139540
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

View Postknowgolf, on 19 December 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

I highly doubt that. He can obviously afford the taxes, and in exchange he gets to live in a beautiful area that's very convenient for him for several reasons.  Besides, you don't have to live in the same state as the baseball team you want to invest in. He probably just saw that while being a part-owner of a baseball team sounds cool, when you actually see how the business side works, it may be a turnoff. It can't help that the Padres aren't a good team anyway. Why would he want to be associated with their shortcomings?

Thanks to some truly incredible local TV deals, the Dodgers and Angels have been throwing around a lot of money. Might have made him reconsider the wisdom of investing in a relatively small market like San Diego.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 RainShadow

RainShadow

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

View Postknowgolf, on 19 December 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

From the article in the SD paper :
"I think to be involved with the Padres you have to be fully committed to the long term," Mickelson said. "I've been born and raised here, but at this moment I'm not able to make that kind of long-term commitment to the city and to the team."
This sounds to me like he could be considering moving out of the area. New law in Calfornia increases state income tax from 10.3% to 13.3% for those making over 1 million. Add that to the Fed 39% and he's paying over 52% of his income in income taxes, not to mention the property and sales taxes in Ca.
There's a reason so many pros live in Florida, and it ain't the weather. No state income tax.

Edited by RainShadow, 19 December 2012 - 10:37 PM.

G25 23*

#12 knowgolf

knowgolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 164563
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

View PostRainShadow, on 19 December 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

From the article in the SD paper :
"I think to be involved with the Padres you have to be fully committed to the long term," Mickelson said. "I've been born and raised here, but at this moment I'm not able to make that kind of long-term commitment to the city and to the team."

aka, just because it's his hometown team, he wasn't going to throw his money into this unless it was beneficial enough to him financially. Padres are a small market team. He also isn't going to want to be involved in anything that could potentially hurt his rep, especially in his hometown area (which might have happened if he became part of an ownership group that wasn't going to spend enough, which may or may not be the case). Not that it would be fair at all for a minority owner that has nothing to do with baseball to take the brunt of the blame from fans for a team's shortcomings, but since he's so well known, it could have happened.

"I couldn't make the commitment" is a nice way of saying this opportunity ended up being not all it was cracked up to be. He obviously doesn't have to spill the exact reasons behind his decision to not get involved, and he isn't going to publicly say anything negative regarding the ownership group. If it was that good of an opportunity, he could have went through with it even if he lived in Africa or in outer space. But he has too many conveniences in So Cal to leave.

Edited by knowgolf, 20 December 2012 - 02:45 AM.

#13 RainShadow

RainShadow

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Yeah, i just read that quote and it struck me that he might be considering relocating. I get that it's not a great investment as well.
G25 23*

#14 poizster

poizster

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132044
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

View Posttbowles411, on 29 May 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

Well, he can't make the Padres worse.  :cheesy:

Signed,

A Dodgers Fan.  Posted Image

I would hope  $260,000,000 can buy at least 1 playoff win. :)

#15 GoStars

GoStars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116894
  • Handicap:13.8
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

He may also feel like there is a high likelihood the team could leave, and doesn't want to be the identified with the ownership group that moves the team (because that inevitably gets ugly).

#16 doublenuts

doublenuts

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4154
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

The story behind the scenes is that the new ownership team wanted  Phil to be more involved than just an investment owner. Those duties would have required him to be directly involved in player decisions and guaranteed money for operations -hey Phil, can you please win five tournaments in the next six weeks? Player x wants more money- did not sound too attractive or smart. Phil is not moving. If you are referencing his comment about 'commitment to city'.

Edited by doublenuts, 25 December 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#17 RainShadow

RainShadow

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

View Postdoublenuts, on 25 December 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

The story behind the scenes is that the new ownership team wanted  Phil to be more involved than just an investment owner. Those duties would have required him to be directly involved in player decisions and guaranteed money for operations -hey Phil, can you please win five tournaments in the next six weeks? Player x wants more money- did not sound too attractive or smart. Phil is not moving. If you are referencing his comment about 'commitment to city'.
Yes, that was the comment that had me thinking they might be moving. I know he has deep roots in SD ( as do I ) , but it was an interesting phrase, and it got me wondering.
Thanks for the info.
G25 23*

#18 ozzycruzer7

ozzycruzer7

cruzer7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124959
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

Totally off topic but I got a chance to meet Phil the day after Christmas when he came into my work! Super nice guy and asked about my Christmas. I was guess working in Carlsbad has its perks!

#19 stinger12345

stinger12345

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202319
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:43 AM

Just doesn't sound like a very good investment to me.  Padres are just so-so in annual attendance, usually hovering around 16th-20th in the league (21st this year) and they haven't been all that greatly lately, except for 2010.  But hey, the Mavericks' franchise record was around .400 before Cuban bought the team and look at where they went.  Plus, isn't he only worth roughly $150 million?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors