Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Darrell Klassen

33 replies to this topic

#1 bantam

bantam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7231
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:14 PM

Darrell Klassen is selling golf instruction packages.  He has some strong claims.  I tried to look up real reviews of his materials, his playing record, and teaching record.  I could not find anything.  Does anyone endorse this or have a review? His big package costs $200.

Edited by batamn, 14 January 2007 - 07:29 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 rhinogolfer

rhinogolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4859
  • Ebay ID:rhinosailor
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:57 PM

Don't mean to demean the thread, you asked a fine question. It just cracked me up, I played pretty regularly with a guy named Jim Klassen. He and I had a running joke about the book he was going to write on the game. 3 chapters. I forget chapter 1. Chapter 2 was 'swing thru the ball'. Chapter 3 was...refer to Chapters one and two. Dumb joke, but we laughed our way around many a round with that one...

#3 Pole_Position

Pole_Position

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4823

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:25 PM

You mean the "Out-Of-Shape 55 Year-Old Golfer, Crippled By Arthritis & 71 Lbs. Overweight" who "Consistently Humiliate(s) PGA Pros In Head-To-Head Matches"?  The same one who is in "top ranks of the underground professional golfing world" and has "stayed on top" even though "the pain is getting Gothic"?  The one who "blasts another gorgeous 250-yard drive that sails straight down the middle" every time using "an amazingly simple 2-step Maximum Distance revelation that, we swear, will take you just 3 swings to master yourself"?

Sorry, I don't have any first hand knowledge of him but I do occasionally see his ad in the back pages of golf magazines next to the amazing weight loss pills and Hammer driver ads   :)

You never know though, it could work (said the person buying snake oil to the skeptic).

Just my opinion   :)

#4 tonyr

tonyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23824

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:58 AM

I think he is the teacher who advocate snapping the left wrist (right handed golfer) on the downswing...but
I may be wrong.

Try looking up reviews - google or yahoo groups maybe somewhere to start. Doubt you'll find much on a 'golfing site' though.

#5 cobraboy

cobraboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70041

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:29 AM

I was pretty impressed by this guys vids so I took the plunge and bought his whole dvd collection and i have got to admit its probably the best golf dvds i've bought.I bought the eagle pack and that had 8 dvds for $200 .I think pga teachers make things to complicated but this guy keeps it simple .The short game dvd is the best of them. For a big guy hes got a great short game and feel and puts them next to the pin every time.
His swing seem to be more like a hogan type but the fundamentals he teaches pretty much apply to the modern power swing in how he lets the body do all the work and the hands are just there for the ride. I definitely  think i got my moneys worth and would recommend his dvds.

#6 bloodredsun

bloodredsun

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,805 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22235
  • Ebay ID:bloodredsunfootie

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:49 AM

View Postcobraboy, on May 5 2009, 12:29 PM, said:

I was pretty impressed by this guys vids so I took the plunge and bought his whole dvd collection and i have got to admit its probably the best golf dvds i've bought.I bought the eagle pack and that had 8 dvds for $200 .I think pga teachers make things to complicated but this guy keeps it simple .The short game dvd is the best of them. For a big guy hes got a great short game and feel and puts them next to the pin every time.
His swing seem to be more like a hogan type but the fundamentals he teaches pretty much apply to the modern power swing in how he lets the body do all the work and the hands are just there for the ride. I definitely  think i got my moneys worth and would recommend his dvds.
cobraboy, welcome to golfwrx. Not to disbelieve you but as a first post that's a big claim to make. To put my mind to rest that this isn't astroturfing would you mind telling us a little bit more about why you found it so useful, especially why you think his swing is hogan type and share what techniques exactly he teaches. Thanks.

#7 cville

cville

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35884

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

I bought the dvd a few years ago and found it helpful. Of course it helps that I'm a 53 year old out of shape guy that could be confused as Klassen's brother! I have found the left wrist snap helpful when I'm not swinging well. It seems to help me get back in sync.

#8 cmbdrx

cmbdrx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60633

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:52 PM

I'm sorry, this is a little off topic, and maybe his videos are great.  Anyway, I live in Northern California and Darrell Klassen teaches a few hours south of me near Fresno.  I had heard a little bit about him and wouldn't have minded the drive for some good instruction, so I gave him a call to see what his rates were.  I absolutely kid you not (you can call him at the number on his website http://darrellsgolf.com/, he doesn't publish his rates), he told me $500/hour or $1,000 for a 3 hour lesson.  Ummm....thanks, but no thanks.  I'm sure he is a fine teacher and has helped a lot of people, but he won't be helping me.  Hey, if he can get those kind of rates, more power to him

Edited by cmbdrx, 11 May 2009 - 10:53 PM.

#9 2000wrx

2000wrx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50705
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:09 AM

i did buy his book 'golf's an easy game' because i could not die wondering after seeing his ads.

the wrist snap tonyr talks about, from memory, in TGM terms is an un-cocking of the left wrist. most choppers who flip madly at the ball could benefit greatly from trying this. when i tried doing this the club was moving powerfully through the ball and contact was improved. however my pivot was garbage and i was hanging back to much so produced a fade ballflight every time. i must get back to trying it again.

you could do a lot worse than to read it. it is a lot better than some hopeless off the shelf golf-for-beginners books.

Edited by 2000wrx, 12 May 2009 - 04:10 AM.

#10 Bobcat 2

Bobcat 2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57726
  • Ebay ID:Friskymuffin

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:15 AM

View Post2000wrx, on May 12 2009, 05:09 AM, said:

i did buy his book 'golf's an easy game' because i could not die wondering after seeing his ads.

the wrist snap tonyr talks about, from memory, in TGM terms is an un-cocking of the left wrist. most choppers who flip madly at the ball could benefit greatly from trying this. when i tried doing this the club was moving powerfully through the ball and contact was improved. however my pivot was garbage and i was hanging back to much so produced a fade ballflight every time. i must get back to trying it again.

you could do a lot worse than to read it. it is a lot better than some hopeless off the shelf golf-for-beginners books.

If your pivot was garbage, I suspect you are not making a good turn back and getting your weight on your rear side with a solid rear leg-no sway backswing. With a good coiled backswing, the mere lowering of the arms triggers a powerful automatic turn through the ball, with no real conscious effort.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 BENCHMADE

BENCHMADE

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97798
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:38 AM

Ever since i started with Darrells videos i haven't looked back. Mind you this is coming from the Stack and tilt to Don T PPGS. No video, tv show or PGA instructor has even come close to what Darrel teaches. There are some youtube vids of him to check out. He totally rebuilt my swing and game. If someone is looking for a no BS approach to there golf game this is it. Its stupid easy.

#12 Hackerforever

Hackerforever

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35495
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:54 AM

You can get by with 4 Easy Steps Video. Sure worked for me. I'm 70 and can now finish 18 without my butt dragging. Took 10 stokes minimum off my score. Tons of extra distance with all clubs. After I got into it, it's very similar to Eddie Merrins swing but with emphasis on Eddie's "lowering" (snapping) the club straight to the ball from top of backswing and keeping upper arms touching body. Worked for me.

#13 Hackerforever

Hackerforever

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

View Posttonyr, on 17 January 2007 - 07:58 AM, said:

I think he is the teacher who advocate snapping the left wrist (right handed golfer) on the downswing...but
I may be wrong.

Try looking up reviews - google or yahoo groups maybe somewhere to start. Doubt you'll find much on a 'golfing site' though.

All I know is it works. I always thought "delayed hit", "don't cast". Let me tell you "snapping" the wrists down brought me an extra 15-20 yards.  He charges $500 per hour because once you get his method, (simple), you don't need any additional instruction. Other instructors keep you coming back and you end up well over $500.

#14 Hackerforever

Hackerforever

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:50 AM

View PostBobcat 2, on 25 June 2009 - 09:15 AM, said:

View Post2000wrx, on May 12 2009, 05:09 AM, said:

If your pivot was garbage, I suspect you are not making a good turn back and getting your weight on your rear side with a solid rear leg-no sway backswing. With a good coiled backswing, the mere lowering of the arms triggers a powerful automatic turn through the ball, with no real conscious effort.

I agree. If you swing properly the weight shift takes care of itself. In fact if you ever watch the videos of Sevam One and Steve Elkington they advocate your weight doesn't shift to the left foot until AFTER the ball is gone. For training you put an empty ball box under your left foot and you shouldn't crush it until after you have hit the ball. Klassen's swing does this automatically for you.

#15 rockwallraider

rockwallraider

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18308
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

play with older ( seasoned as he likes to call it ) gentleman at my club that is a really good player.  he told me he sucked until after he started using klasson swing.  I googled klassen and saw all the youtube vids.  would have never guessed this guy could help as he comes off as snakeoil salesman.  the guy uses his putting method as well and can flat out play.

#16 Jacob Mac

Jacob Mac

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108513
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:16 PM

Sounds like what David Blair teaches.  Does anyone have any experience with both systems?

#17 PreppySlapCut

PreppySlapCut

This is just babytown frolics...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4840
GolfWRX Likes : 237

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:11 PM

View Postcmbdrx, on 11 May 2009 - 10:52 PM, said:

I'm sorry, this is a little off topic, and maybe his videos are great.  Anyway, I live in Northern California and Darrell Klassen teaches a few hours south of me near Fresno.  I had heard a little bit about him and wouldn't have minded the drive for some good instruction, so I gave him a call to see what his rates were.  I absolutely kid you not (you can call him at the number on his website http://darrellsgolf.com/, he doesn't publish his rates), he told me $500/hour or $1,000 for a 3 hour lesson.  Ummm....thanks, but no thanks.  I'm sure he is a fine teacher and has helped a lot of people, but he won't be helping me.  Hey, if he can get those kind of rates, more power to him
To be fair, several good teacher's by me get similar rates.  However, they are some of the best teacher's in the country, each work with several tour players or high level amateurs, and teach out of some of the more exclusive country clubs in the nation.
Ping G30 10.5* w/ Tour 65 (X)
Ping G30 17* & 21* w/ Tour 80 (X)
Ping i25 4-9 w/ ZZ65 Cushin
Scor 4161 46*, 50*, 55*, & 60*
Never Compromise Robusto

#18 RighttoLeft

RighttoLeft

From the Cheap Seats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5556
  • Handicap:9.1
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:43 PM

When he said that a square face produces a slice as the club face opens "at least 7" (due to shaft torque) at impact, so you have to come into impact with the face at least 7 shut, I saw all that I needed to.

#19 PreppySlapCut

PreppySlapCut

This is just babytown frolics...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4840
GolfWRX Likes : 237

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:39 AM

View PostRighttoLeft, on 23 October 2010 - 11:43 PM, said:

When he said that a square face produces a slice as the club face opens "at least 7" (due to shaft torque) at impact, so you have to come into impact with the face at least 7 shut, I saw all that I needed to.
hahaha, I am one of those people who doesn't know a lick about physics... but what he's saying is dead wrong.
Ping G30 10.5* w/ Tour 65 (X)
Ping G30 17* & 21* w/ Tour 80 (X)
Ping i25 4-9 w/ ZZ65 Cushin
Scor 4161 46*, 50*, 55*, & 60*
Never Compromise Robusto

#20 DaveLeeNC

DaveLeeNC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54590
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

View PostPreppySlapCut, on 24 October 2010 - 02:39 AM, said:

View PostRighttoLeft, on 23 October 2010 - 11:43 PM, said:

hahaha, I am one of those people who doesn't know a lick about physics... but what he's saying is dead wrong.

I agree - that is pretty bad. It is well known in the club-building world that the torque of a golf club (the fact that the shaft will twist) actually causes the clubface to be closed at impact, not open.

dave

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 lcole

lcole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117415

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

I just watched the "collar-bone" drill of Klassen's on youtube and laughed. I saw it again and thought for yuks I'd try it at the range. It seems to work... it looks goofy for sure but it feels comfortable and it stopped my over the top swing and the results are impressive. I did a search for Darrell Klassen on ebay and bought 2 used DVD's "Long Irons" and "Fairway Woods". They are both ok but 90% of what I learned came from the "collar-bone" drill video on youtube.  And it is free.

#22 Hackerforever

Hackerforever

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

Laugh and guffaw all you want. Klassen's method really works. Don't try it. I don't need anymore competition at the course.

#23 emrussi

emrussi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94823

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:56 PM

I subscribed to Darrell Klassen's on-line "Inner Circle" program on a trial basis for one month for $20.  It gave access to many of his training videos and PDF files.  He uses a graded approach that starts with a very handsy chipping technique, then expands that motion to a half-swing for pitching, and then 3/4 to full swing for full length shots.  For full shots, to put it simply, he teaches a swing that uses body rotation, passive arms, and a very active wrist snapping action.  After than one month trial membership, I've been trying his swing method and I have to say that I've seen significant improvement in my golf game.  The "handsy" short and long game techniques have improved my ball striking, my distance, and my scores.  I don't know if this is the very best golf swing out there, but I think that if a golfer finds a technique that he/she is comfortable with, works with it, and practices, there is the potential for improvement.  The Darrell Klassen swing instruction seems to be working for me.  Maybe it will work for some and not for others.

#24 Hackerforever

Hackerforever

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

The ONLY instruction I've followed that I continue to use, why? Because it's the only one that resulted in my being able to strike the ball in dead center of my irons and woods. Went through tons of face tape trying to improve ball striking. The other millions of dvd's and instruction are ok but none enabled me to kiss the ball on the sweet spot more consistently than Klassen's instruction.

#25 rimrock

rimrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151987

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Klassen says "golf is easy" but has a myriad  of DVD's and books on his web site.  So I guess it isn't as easy as it sounds or else he could sum it all up on one DVD or in one book.  He, like a lot of instructors on the internet, like to talk about how "mainstream" golf is wrong and on and on.  Ahh, but I forgot, the old "money making" motive.  

The above said, Klassen does have some neat tips (like all instructors do) all you have to do is PRACTICE them.  Oh, that nasty word practice.  Look at his free youtube videos and you can pick up all that he has in his books.

#26 justodd

justodd

Chief

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61311
  • Ebay ID:vw_rocks99
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

I read Klassen's e-book. IMO not worth it. There is plenty of good FREE instruction out there.

#27 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 17,729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 1793

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

So the guy is no good eh?
Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

#28 rimrock

rimrock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151987

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

View Postbantam, on 13 January 2007 - 01:14 PM, said:

Darrell Klassen is selling golf instruction packages.  He has some strong claims.  I tried to look up real reviews of his materials, his playing record, and teaching record.  I could not find anything.  Does anyone endorse this or have a review? His big package costs $200.

Many posts below say he is ok.  I have learned a lot from the FREE STUFF.  BUT, if you read the Terms and Conditions that is on the internet it states Important: I agree to pay the amount agreed and not to cancel this transaction with my bank or Credit Card Company.  Now, I do not like anyone who puts that in their terms and conditions.  Klassen can be the folksey down home guy just trying to help your golf game but in reality he is like the rest.  HE WANTS YOUR MONEY and how he gets is is of no concern.  A post on Facebook has one person having a tough time getting his money back under the money back guarantee.

#29 SunkTheBirdie

SunkTheBirdie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129830
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

Rimrock: people scam all the time.  They get what they want and reverse the charges.

#30 lsh

lsh

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8460

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

Can anyone explain what the powerpoint is in his instruction?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors