Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Editor Review: Mizuno MP-69's

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 floyd

floyd

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4795
  • Handicap:+2.3
  • Ebay ID:malloryfloyd
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

Introduction-
This in my non-biased review of the Mizuno MP-69’s, first I must say that I have played Mizuno blades on and off for many years, I have played the MS/MP-9’s, MP-11’s. MP-14’s, MP-29’s, MP-33’s, MP-27’s,MP-63’s and my favorite TN-87’s, they all were great feeling and top notch quality irons but I always found something I didn’t like, either they had to much offset or to round or to square looking, so in nutshell I have been well aware and kept up with Mizuno irons for many years, for the past three years I have been playing Bridgestone/Tourstage blades and CB’s. I have playing the MP-69’s for a few weeks (about 15 rounds) now and have practiced with them extensively.

Pros-
On April 23, 2012 I met with Mizuno to get a complete fitting for a set of MP-69’s, it was very impressive, especially the shaft optimizer, after an extensive two (2) hour fitting session I was fitted with the KBS x-stiff, std length and std grip, and 1* upright. It was an awesome experience! After I left the session Coby (with Mizuno) sent me an email and told me I would have the irons on the April 30th, well he was correct, they were on the door step. One thing I found out about Mizuno is they are very detailed about their fitting and they will not tell you what you want to hear, they will tell you the facts. They will fit you with what will work for you.
Now to the irons, the looks of these irons are a thing of beauty, really to beautiful to hit, what I really like about them is there is minimal offset especially in the short irons, the head shape has a soft roundish look which I really like a lot, the heads took me a little to get use to because of the size, they are somewhat small but very confident looking, the first iron I hit was the 8 iron and it was love at first shot, the MP-69’s have the traditional buttery feel like as usual, in fact I believe they have the buttery feel of the  TN-87’s. I was a little concerned with the sole width, they are thin, but after a few shots the concerned disappeared quickly.

Cons-
As a +2.1 GHIN these irons are perfect, for the higher handicapper it might not be the best choice because of the small head, thin sole and very little offset.  I have thought long and hard and cannot say one negative thing about these irons, maybe the only thing that was not ideal was several of the grips were installed a bit crooked.

Quality-
The quality of the MP-69’s gets an “A”, the swingweights on all irons were D-3, all the lengths were spot on, all the lofts and lies were spot on, I must say I was really shocked about the lofts and lies being spot on, this is the FIRST time ever that the loft and lies were spot on after getting fitted, this was very impressive. The only thing that was a little less desirable was there were a few grips that were crooked.

Review-

MP-69’s are grained forged with 1025E “Pure Select” mild carbon steel, 4D muscle design delivers unmatched ball and trajectory control by maintaining the perfect COG design in each club head.

Looks- The looks of the MP-69’s are stunning, pure beauty, shiny chrome with soft edges, no fancy or gimmicky look, very minimal offset with a smallish type head. The leading edge has been soften some to prevent digging, the soles look thin but surprisingly very workable. I really like the edges, they have a nice round and soft transition rather than an abrupt edge, Mizuno went all out on these irons, they were very detailed when designing these paying a lot the attention to details.

Performance/playability- I practiced extensively and played about 15 rounds with these, to be honest at first I was very intimidated because of the size but after one hit I was in heaven, the performance is absolutely top notch, the sole design cuts through the turf without digging, they are very easy to hit any type of shot, fade, draw, high, low, really easy to manipulate the ballflight. After hitting a lot of balls I figured out the only way to miss the sweetspot is to miss the ball completely, sound strange but that is what it came down to for me, in fact to me the MP-69’s are easier to hit than cavity backs. I really like the sole design, when I think of thin soles I think of digging into the ground, the sole design is thin but will not dig unless you want it to, very easy to hit out of divots and deep rough.

Feel-The feel is what is to be expected from Mizuno, soft and buttery, to me they very comparable to TN-87’s, which to me is the all time best feeling iron. Don’t get me wrong, all Mizuno irons I have had were soft and buttery when struck but to me I feel like the 69’s are the best they have made in years. Mizuno did a great job building the 69’s, all the irons have a consistent swingweight of D-3. All I can say is the MP-69’s are impeccable in feel, I have played many irons over the years and to me these are the best feeling blades since the TN-87’s.

Overall bottom line- Years of playing on and off with Mizuno’s the MP-69’s are the best blades they have put out since TN-87’s, I had planned on playing these for a few weeks  and putting the Bridgestone’s back in the bag BUT that did not happen, the MP-69’s are in the gamers and the Bridgestone’s are a memory.  My review sounds like I am loyal to Mizuno, I have no loyalty to any company, I use what works for me, it has been many years since any iron just shocked me with the feel, playability and quality,,,,,the MP-69's have done that.

Check out all the pics...

Edited by floyd, 18 May 2012 - 06:46 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 floyd

floyd

Major Winner

• 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

Fitting Day, this was really impressive;

Attached Thumbnails

• fittng1a.jpg
  • fit1b.jpg
  • fit1c.jpg
  • fit1d.jpg
  • fit1e.jpg
  • fit1f.jpg
  • fit1g.jpg

#3 floyd

floyd

Major Winner

• 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

5 thru 7 iron;

Attached Thumbnails

• mizzy5a.jpg
  • mizzy5b.jpg
  • mizzy6a.jpg
  • mizzy6b.jpg
  • mizzy7a.jpg
  • mizzy7b.jpg

#4 floyd

floyd

Major Winner

• 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

8 thru wedge;

Attached Thumbnails

• mizzy8a.jpg
  • mizzy8b.jpg
  • mizzy9a.jpg
  • mizzy9b.jpg
  • mizzypw1a.jpg
  • mizzypw1b.jpg

#5 floyd

floyd

Major Winner

• 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

back of irons and address;

Attached Thumbnails

• mizyback1e.jpg
  • mizyback1f.jpg
  • mizzyadd1a.jpg
  • mizzyadd1b.jpg
  • mizzyadd1c.jpg

#6 floyd

floyd

Major Winner

• 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Comparison pics with the MP-69's and bridgestone J-38 CBs;

Attached Thumbnails

• mizycomp1a.jpg
  • mizycomp1b.jpg
  • mizycomp1c.jpg
  • mizycomp1g.jpg
  • mizycomp1h.jpg
  • mizycomp1j.jpg

#7 floyd

floyd

Major Winner

• 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Gotta show the irons in the bag, and the divot pattern;

Attached Thumbnails

• mizzydivot.jpg
  • bag.jpg

#8 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• 4,218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 547

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Awesome....so much fun!!! I have the 59s and this makes me want the 69s....ugh...

#9 floyd

floyd

Major Winner

• 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

View Posttopekareal, on 18 May 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

Awesome....so much fun!!! I have the 59s and this makes me want the 69s....ugh...

Let me tell ya, the 69's really blew me away! I could not believe how great these irons are!

#10 Mudguard

Mudguard

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114531
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

My brother (Rustynuts) has the 69's. Seems  to hit them allright. I on the other hand, just bought some new J38's!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 154

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

wish I was good enough - I would play the 69s or VR Pros in a second!!!!!

(probably the VR Pros, drool!!!!!!!!!)
913D2 Tour AD DI 6
SLDR Mini 16 Tour AD DI 7
Titleist AP2 714 3-PW PXI 6.0
Vokey SM5 52F 56S 60S Tour Issue S400
Scotty SquareBack

#12 teespoon

teespoon

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32126
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

Will certainly try a demo with those.  Unfortunately, my old age budget keeps me playing my MP14's, but they have been terrific.  Ohhh to be young again...  :rolleyes:

#13 craz-e

craz-e

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39596
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:48 AM

Awesome review and photos, still thinking about going to the MP69's from the 68's but I am unsure if it would be worth the extra $$$

#14 LeftRev

LeftRev

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

Excellent review, Floyd.   Knowing that you play the same irons for several years running [like the J38s] affirms all you have said about the MP- 69s...they must be special and offer you an advantage to have made it into your bag.  Enjoy them, friend.

Rev.
Adams Launch Lab 10.5
Adams 3446-F proto
Adams A12 tour 22
Wishon 575MMC 4-pw
Scratch Custom 53,59
Walter Hagen Cascade blade 34.5"

#15 easyyy

easyyy

Founder & Still a Ho

• Rules Official
  • 10,598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1
  • Handicap:4.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1853

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for the review! I have not hit the 69's yet but plan on it. I have hit the 59's and if they are as soft as those then Mizuno did it right. How they can make an iron feel this soft I don't know. The heads sound different just clicking together when handling them.

in WRX we TRUST
richard@golfwrx.com

#16 mintonma

mintonma

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132122
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Why did they not include the Lefties?

#17 makaveli

makaveli

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99832
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

View Postcraz-e, on 19 May 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

Awesome review and photos, still thinking about going to the MP69's from the 68's but I am unsure if it would be worth the extra $$

u gotta go with the 69's.  when it comes to irons mizuno has it all.  if i didn't get such a good deal on my 63's these would be in the bag.

i'm surprised it took this long for such a good review on these.

#18 SMUGamer

SMUGamer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117056
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

I love my 68's. I have been a lifetime Mizzy guy, and will buy the next generation in a couple of years. You cant go wrong with any Mizuno blade, period.

#19 Mikepaul

Mikepaul

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58686
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

The MP69 are amazing and so forgiving (if you're a half decent ballstriker), I tried the MP68 (before the supply problems and ended up waiting 9 months and getting the MP69), and to be honest I think the MP69 is a very good upgrade.

I even find the 3-iron easy to hit compared to my previous blades, like any forged Mizuno blade the distance is very consistent

Treat yourself, the best blade out there in 2012 IMHO.

#20 scratchswinger

scratchswinger

Hall of Fame

• 9,268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37417
GolfWRX Likes : 2352

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

Great review and beautiful irons. Your a lucky guy to have that oppertunity. I would love to do something like that. Nice work!!!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 pocoloko1

pocoloko1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12737
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

Awesome review and pics!

I have been playing a set of MP68's since they were released in 2009 and I have a new set of MP69's with KBS Tour's on order from Mizuno.  Can't wait to get my hands on these gorgeous blades and take them out on my local course.  It'll be interesting to see how they play in comparison to the 68's (which are the best feeling irons I have ever played with thus far).

#22 130R

130R

Tour Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86741
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

Great review; Ive only ever owned the one set of Mizuno's and Im pretty keen to keep this brand in my bag, I would also be interested in a comparison between the MP68's & 69's

:kewlpics:
Nike CT 2.0 w/- Matrix Black Tie 6M3X
Nike Covert 2.0 3W w/- Kai'li 70
Callaway Optiforce 5W w/- Blueboard 83
Callaway X Prototype 4-PW w/- PXF 6.5
X Forged MD 52/Cleveland 588 RTX 5660
Odyssey ProType Tour #2

#23 nicebutdim

nicebutdim

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175544
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

They've certainly got the bling factor going on but personally they look a bit chunky for a 'blade'........ more like an extreme muscle back.

They are eye-catching but I just can't decide if I like the look or not, they almost have got the feeling of a Chromed up street racer, far too busy and not my thing........... best irons I've hit recently were the Callaway Prototypes........... simple yet modern and innovative looks, and a very special club to swing.

Ultimately the feel and performance is what's important and if these feel a good as the legendary TN-87's then that is impressive............. now if only they looked more like them.

Edited by nicebutdim, 22 May 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#24 Hrlyrdr22

Hrlyrdr22

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124553
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

These are great looking clubs, I would love to be custom fit by MIZUNO, though I dont think I would be getting the MP-69's....lol thanks for review and pics!

#25 Colum

Colum

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127872
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

View PostMikepaul, on 21 May 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

The MP69 are amazing and so forgiving (if you're a half decent ballstriker), I tried the MP68 (before the supply problems and ended up waiting 9 months and getting the MP69), and to be honest I think the MP69 is a very good upgrade.

I even find the 3-iron easy to hit compared to my previous blades, like any forged Mizuno blade the distance is very consistent

Treat yourself, the best blade out there in 2012 IMHO.

Is it true that blades are more forgiving now than previous generation blades??? I am on the lookout for new irons, these look fantastic but I am looking at the 59's, perhaps a combo set would be good?

#26 craz-e

craz-e

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39596
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

View Postpocoloko1, on 21 May 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Awesome review and pics!

I have been playing a set of MP68's since they were released in 2009 and I have a new set of MP69's with KBS Tour's on order from Mizuno.  Can't wait to get my hands on these gorgeous blades and take them out on my local course.  It'll be interesting to see how they play in comparison to the 68's (which are the best feeling irons I have ever played with thus far).

View Post130R, on 21 May 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Great review; Ive only ever owned the one set of Mizuno's and Im pretty keen to keep this brand in my bag, I would also be interested in a comparison between the MP68's & 69's

:kewlpics:

Looking forward to some feedback against the MP68's guys!

#27 Ajlepisto

Ajlepisto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177842
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

I hit the 68 vs the 69 extensively when I was demoing for a purchase over the past few weeks. I noticed the 69 feels a bit softer. The sweet spot definitely seems to have an abrupt edge on the 68, meaning if you get it slightly off, it's off. The 69 seems to offer a better transitional feeling between the sweet spot and the thinner areas.

Also, the 69 sole is a bit tapered, or the back portion of the sole is rounded off a bit, where the 68 isn't really. I think this means the 69 is a LITTLE thicker which would probably add to the forgiveness factor. Keep in mind, we're talking about really really small changes, but if you have consistent ball striking, you will notice.

I was apprehensive about getting blades as I've only been playing golf regularly for a few months, but I'm really happy with these clubs. Since I use them as a practice aid, I can already tell they make a huge difference. They are easy to stripe and I don't mishit any more balls with these than I was hitting my Cleveland TA7's. These feel much better, and having a 3iron blade isn't really as intimidating as it sounds to some people. I hit it fine.

I didn't lose much distance, either. I have an 89mph swing speed with a 6 iron and all of these irons display excellent distance control. I'm guessing shaft choices would make more of an impact.

QUESTION:

Since this is my first set of higher end clubs...are there any special care requirements? I want these to last a long time, because they're really expensive. Aside from keeping them nice and clean, and from clattering around in my bag when walking/riding, is there something I should know about?

#28 tpgrrr1

tpgrrr1

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5939
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

Very nice review and thank you for sharing.  I am considering the MP-69's and your review has me leaning  lol.  I guess I'll have to go test them out :wub: :miz:
Adams Super LS 9.5 Kuro Kage X
Adams Super LS 13 & 18 Kuro Kage X
MP-4 3-pw kbs tour X
MP-T11 Black Nickel 52,58 kbs tour S
ProV1x, TW14,  FJ DNA, Jan Craig, Pro 1M
Betti DASS Signature Model One

#29 Reif

Reif

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87715
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

I've played MP-29's for ten years or more (two different sets).

I demo'd the 59's, 63's and 69's last week and I'm going to get myself into the 69's.

Feel even better than the 29's.

#30 drbonesvt

drbonesvt

Major Winner

• 3,809 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141067
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

View Postmakaveli, on 20 May 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

View Postcraz-e, on 19 May 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

Awesome review and photos, still thinking about going to the MP69's from the 68's but I am unsure if it would be worth the extra $$

u gotta go with the 69's.  when it comes to irons mizuno has it all.  if i didn't get such a good deal on my 63's these would be in the bag.

i'm surprised it took this long for such a good review on these.

How much difference between the 63''s and 69 if you have it both

RBZS2 proto 400cc 9.2*(+1.25*o) AD DI 8x
RBZS2 Tour Issue 15.0*(+1.0) Rombax p95x
712u 2i 18*Pxi 6.5 Sans SLDR 5w PRO95xx
712MB 3-9x100(1-2 flat, 1* weak loft)
712MB 48* TVD-M 54&60*s400 (1*flat)
KP1 3.5* Carbon 35" 70* lie 350g

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors