Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

LPGA does it right!!!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 glenbrookchamp10

glenbrookchamp10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140433
  • Ebay ID:xstr8jedix
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

I am going to start off with this statement.  If you love golf the LPGA provides the greatest place to watch it.   They play like us and the atmosphere is truly golf related unlike some pga tour events which can get over the top with fans who do not even play of love the game but are there for the free booze.  I just took my 5 year old son to his first tournament round at the LPGA match play at Hamilton Farms in NJ.  He has been with me to practice rounds the previous two years and I felt he was ready for a regular round.  It was amazing.  Every woman (even the ones who did not speak english well) smiled at me and spoke to him as well as every other child around.  Morgan pressel chatted with him down the first fairway.  Brittney lincicome commented on how far he hits the ball after he took a mini 5 min pga lesson.  The driving range attendants gave him free practice balls with the hamilton farms logo on it.  Michelle wei said she liked his hat when she was chipping literally 2 feet from us.  Then his day was made after Natalie Gulbis holed a birdie putt to win her match on 18, she walked off the green and started to sign for people.  My son went up to her with his new practice ball to have it signed but alot of people were moving in to get her signature.  He started to walk back to me because of the rush of people.  Natalie came forward and said "sweety come back, its ok, what do you have for me to sign"  he showed her his ball and she asked how he got it, he told her about hitting the ball so far and she said youll be beating me and your dad in no time.  Signed the ball, gave him a high fave and went back to signing for everyone.  It was an amazing day and quite an interactive experience.  I have been to countless PGA  and nationwide events.  I've been to majors and low level tournaments but nothing topped the experience these women gave my son yesterday.  Fan for life.  So thank to all the LPGA pros who get it right

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 glenbrookchamp10

glenbrookchamp10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

heres a pic of natalie off 18 signing for my son

Attached Thumbnails

• picplz%202012-05-17%2022_03_41.jpg

#3 BrianMcG

BrianMcG

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71565
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

I can't wait to be able to take my daughter to these.

#4 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

I am not surprised by that from Natalie. She is first class all the way.   She spent a lot of time talking to a buddy of mine and me late one day a few years back at the LPGA Championship.   She was the only one out practicing and the place was almost deserted.  A heavy rain had come through about an hour before sending everyone away.

She just chipped and talked to us for about 15 or 20 minutes.  At the same tournament I saw many other players stop and spend time with kids and fans.   That's the way to grow a fan base and the tour for sure.

I'm sure your son will be a fan for life now.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#5 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
GolfWRX Likes : 360

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

I enjoy the LPGA myself, I've never been to an event but I would in a heartbeat...BB

Ping i20
Cally XHot Pro
Titty 913H, Adams DHy, Titty 712u
Ping S55's
Titty TVD-M's, PVD
Machine M10A

#6 ssites

ssites

stow220

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12405

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

They do it right at the event, but the Golf Channel sure doesn't. During the first hour, I saw 2 shots of Paula Creamers, and the basically unknown she was playing "Jennifer Johnson" was shown at least 7 - 10 shots. They would show Johnson's shot, and just remark "there is creamers ball" but never show Paula's shot.

By my calculations, Paula is one of the major stars of the LPGA. Wouldn't you show HER shots?

These bozo's running the GC must not want ratings.

#7 bafana87

bafana87

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129015
  • Ebay ID:fleem75
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Yes! My family and I used to attend the Kingsmill tournament every year until it ended, ( it will be back this year.) On numerous occasions, players approached us and asked where we were from, because of our South African accents. A few years ago we spent close to 20 minutes chatting to Natalie and her parents. Later that day we ran into them at Regatta's, a restaurant on the resort, and chatted again for 15 minutes while we waited to be seated.

ssites, I agree, the LPGA does not have very good media coverage on the Golf Channel.

#8 glenbrookchamp10

glenbrookchamp10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

I only caught about 15 minutes of the coverage.  Paula had the biggest crowd around her followed by the kerr/mozo pairing.   Some of the best moments yesterday were following the all no name groups.  Great golf and literally my son and I were the only two following the group.  You really get to witness the caddie/player interaction  and the silence is just deafening at times.

#9 Lefty94

Lefty94

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53667
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

I have never been to an LPGA event, bc none have come close. The 2015 Womens US Open will be about a mile down the street from work. From everything I hear these ladies are great to the fans. Would def go if given the chance.

X Hot Pro 9.5 Fubuki Alpha
X Hot 3wd 15* PX 6.0
X Hot Pro 3hy PX 6.0
'09 X Forged 4-PW PX 6.0
Scratch 8620 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Protype #2, Callaway Supersoft

#10 PittShark

PittShark

Littering and......

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50106
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

Completely agree.  I attended two days of the US Women's Open at Oakmont in 2010.  On Friday, heavy rain came through midday and also brought some thunder and lightening.  By rule, the course/tournament officials are required to make sure that everyone, including spectators are off the course and somewhere safe.  We were fortunate to be near the clubhouse when this happened and to our amazement, we were ushered into the clubhouse at Oakmont!  As far as I know, this is usually something that only players (w/ caddies and family), members, and VIP's are privileged to.  On top of the awesome experience of getting to walk around the clubhouse of a legendary course like Oakmont, we were right in a semi-chaotic mix of players and caddies and anyone else who was in the vicinity when the storm struck.  At one point I walked around one corner and Morgan Pressel was just kinda standing there by herself looking around like she was trying to find someone.  I said to her, 'hey can I help you?  I know the layout of my clubhouse pretty well.'  She smiled and said, 'oh, cool....you're a member?'  I said, 'no, but it sounds cool to say it for a minute.'  She burst out in laughter and we ended up having a few minute conversation.  Just a total genuine person.  If that wasn't cool enough, just before I ran into Morgan, my buddy said he wanted to see if he could go have a smoke somewhere, and he was directed to the front entrance where there is a large covered drive-up.  Turns out that a lot of players were heading out there to get picked up as the play was suspended for the day.  So after I had this awesome talk with Morgan, I walk out there since I knew my buddy was out there, and who do I walk out to see him talking to?  None other than Natalie Gulbis!  Apparently she was waiting for her car to pull up and my buddy was standing right there and struck up some conversation.  When I walked out, he said, 'Hey Mark, this is my friend Natalie, you guys ever meet?'  I started laughing, and Natalie looks at me with this dead serious look and says, 'I can't believe your good friend never told you me and him have been friends for years.'  Before I could say a word, her and my buddy just started laughing....it was classic.  Her car pulled up right then and we wished her luck and said we'd see her the next day.  Shortly after everyone was given the ok to head out and start walking to the lots / shuttles to the lots.  Even though the storm cut the day of watching golf short, it ended up being an awesome experience, and I definitely became an even bigger fan of the LPGA after that.

Ping G25 10 TFC 189 S
Ping i20 15 TFC 707 S
Adams Super S 19 Matrix Kujoh S
Ping i20 4-U CFS S
Mizuno MP R12 54,58
Odyssey White Ice #9, 33.5

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 YMark

YMark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168261
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

View Postglenbrookchamp10, on 18 May 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

I am going to start off with this statement.  If you love golf the LPGA provides the greatest place to watch it.   They play like us.....

Stop right there! They don't play anything like me.

The rest of your post I agree with.
Mark
Havin fun in the AZ sun

#12 LuvToGolfGuy

LuvToGolfGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177504
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

Been a big fan of the LPGA for a few years now.  Still have yet to attend an event.  (It's on my list.)

Great story and good to hear.
Nike Covert Tour UST VTS Silver
Nike T60 4 wood TT Lite Steel shaft
Nike VR_S 20* & Sumo 23* Hybrid
Nike VR_S 5-PW Blades (PX 5.5)
Nike VR_S 52* & 56* Scratch 1820 60*
Yes! Marilyn or SC SS Newport 2.0

#13 From_Parts_Unknown

From_Parts_Unknown

Tour Winner

• 647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123904
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

Was that picture taken with a 1960's polaroid camera?

#14 tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer

Major Winner

• 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116652
  • Handicap:4.6
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

I have been to a few LPGA events and the ladies made a real impression on me.  They are very engaging and friendly.  I have chatted and joked with Katherin Hull who later replied and thanked me on Face Book.  I was thanked many times for following and given an autographed ball by Belen Mozo.  I visited with Natalie and took some great pictures of her.  I have become friends on Face Book with Aza Munoz and she is very gracious and appreciative of the posts I leave for her.  I have visited with Lexi and she is always friendly and goes out of her way for a picture or to sign an autograph, also a FB friend.  I have visited with Sandra Gal and she is very friendly.  I just can't say enough about the LPGA and how appreciative they are of their fans.  I would rather see an LPGA event in person than a PGA event.  Not to mention some of these girls are absolutely gorgeous and they can play.   :clapping::drinks:

#15 greens hit

greens hit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55587
GolfWRX Likes : 359

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

May I borrow your son for the weekend?  Forget puppies, your son seems like an instant phone number getter at the park.

#16 greens hit

greens hit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostFrom_Parts_Unknown, on 18 May 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

I'm guessing hipstamatic app on the iPhone.

#17 eric_b

eric_b

I will NOT tuck in my shirt!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150423
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

Every thing i've heard about the LPGA tells me that they know why they're there....the fans and the sponsors.....they seem to really understand that the fans and the sponsors are the reason they get a chance to play and they really appreciate it....and that's gotta be hard....competing at their level has gotta be freakin' hard!  All the practice they have to put in...and the focus they have to have....and to still have the energy to try like they do is geniunely impressive.

And with respect to the OP comment "they play like us".....i can appreciate the principle that i think are behind those words, i.e. they hit it reasonable distances that we can actually understand.....6 iron from 150-170....as opposed to the guys hitting it 190-200+.....but in terms of word for word interpretation....yeah.....we're all garbage compared to them......but i hear you.....:tongue:

#18 tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer

Major Winner

• 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116652
  • Handicap:4.6
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

Not to take away from the FACT that they can play but... :drinks:

Posted Image

#19 bafana87

bafana87

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129015
  • Ebay ID:fleem75
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

View Postgreens hit, on 18 May 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

May I borrow your son for the weekend?  Forget puppies, your son seems like an instant phone number getter at the park.

I was thinking along the same lines. I was like, hmmm, which one of my little cousins would be the best bet to take to Kingsmill in September.

#20 glenbrookchamp10

glenbrookchamp10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

good point
:good:

View PostYMark, on 18 May 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

I am going to start off with this statement.  If you love golf the LPGA provides the greatest place to watch it.   They play like us.....

Stop right there! They don't play anything like me.

The rest of your post I agree with.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 glenbrookchamp10

glenbrookchamp10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

ha, yes and i had to shake it like a polaroid picture

View PostFrom_Parts_Unknown, on 18 May 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

#22 glenbrookchamp10

glenbrookchamp10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

very very very true and that was what i was getting at, distance wise they are very similar but as far as accuracy and their amazing short games....no we are not close at all.  perfect story, morgan pressel from 165 out on hole number 7 pin tucked back left hits a draw 6 iron that comes up short in a bunker against a lip.  surveys the line of the shot like a put, gets her 60 degree wedge, opens up the flace as flat as a piece of paper then holes out for birdie to win the hole.  just amazing focus on the course with the added ability of dropping their guard once their off the course for their fans..truly amazing

View Posteric_b, on 18 May 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

Every thing i've heard about the LPGA tells me that they know why they're there....the fans and the sponsors.....they seem to really understand that the fans and the sponsors are the reason they get a chance to play and they really appreciate it....and that's gotta be hard....competing at their level has gotta be freakin' hard!  All the practice they have to put in...and the focus they have to have....and to still have the energy to try like they do is geniunely impressive.

And with respect to the OP comment "they play like us".....i can appreciate the principle that i think are behind those words, i.e. they hit it reasonable distances that we can actually understand.....6 iron from 150-170....as opposed to the guys hitting it 190-200+.....but in terms of word for word interpretation....yeah.....we're all garbage compared to them......but i hear you.....:tongue:

#23 greens hit

greens hit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

I am going to start off with this statement.  If you love golf the LPGA provides the greatest place to watch it.   They play like us and the atmosphere is truly golf related unlike some pga tour events which can get over the top with fans who do not even play of love the game but are there for the free booze.

I wholeheartedly disagree.  I took my girl to a PGA event.  We followed Tiger around all day.  On #17, he walks to the rope where we're standing and says "Hey Sweetheart let me sign that for you" and grabs the bottom of her shirt and signs it and says, "you look like an aspiring golfer, here's my number call me if you need anything, I mean anything at all"
Then walks back to his bag to high five Stevie.  My wife still has her signed shirt and the number.  We are fans to this day.

#24 saltcity

saltcity

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35794
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

OP, I totally agree. LPGA tourny's are a good time.
I went to the Wegman's in Rochester last year - all the volenteers are super friendly, the atmosphere is fun, the sponsers provided a lot of free sample stuff in the hosp tent, easy parking, cheap tickets, great course, cute girls, good golf - what more can you ask for?

#25 eric_b

eric_b

I will NOT tuck in my shirt!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150423
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

View Postgreens hit, on 18 May 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

I am going to start off with this statement.  If you love golf the LPGA provides the greatest place to watch it.   They play like us and the atmosphere is truly golf related unlike some pga tour events which can get over the top with fans who do not even play of love the game but are there for the free booze.

I wholeheartedly disagree.  I took my girl to a PGA event.  We followed Tiger around all day.  On #17, he walks to the rope where we're standing and says "Hey Sweetheart let me sign that for you" and grabs the bottom of her shirt and signs it and says, "you look like an aspiring golfer, here's my number call me if you need anything, I mean anything at all"
Then walks back to his bag to high five Stevie.  My wife still has her signed shirt and the number.  We are fans to this day.

:cheesy:

#26 Sting'

Sting'

Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115030
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

Glenbrook,

I'm glad you got to attend, I know you were looking forward to this. I can understand what you went thru, as I just attended my first LPGA event in Hawaii last month.
I cannot describe enough what a touching encounter I had with these lovely ladies...truly an event I will never forget, especially enjoyed seeing how beautiful they are in person!

I went to the tourney to see specifically my favorite LPGA girl I.K. Kim, she was paired with Paula Creamer fortunatley and I followed them for 18 holes...what a day!
But, like you, I had more of a suprise when I watched /followed Nats...(Natalie Gublis). She was unexpectedly so friendly to us spectators! She would come out
of the ropes and talk with all of us, take pictures, sign stuff, and just hang and chat like she was just an ordinary person- I was absolutely stunned. What a gal.

Anyways, good to see you got some pics, and even better with your son in them....as of now, I'm hooked on watching LPGA. For me- the're more interesting-go figure.

#27 peat24

peat24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28872
  • Handicap:8.4

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

i attend the LPGA in rochester NY every year, and i agree--it is an awesome event. you feel like you are part of the action. on the putting green they are chatty, and warm-hearted. they have to walk about 40 yards to the sand/pitching area, and walk right with, through, and around the spectators. in a PGA event there would be 15 cops between the two. the girls ask about where to eat, or to catch a drink on sunday, what to do in town, etc. it's quite cool.

i also had the chance to caddy in a pro-am with one of the girls and it was AWESOME. probably the best day of golf ever--and i didn't touch a club--well, to clean it i did.

so as far as approachability the LPGA is top notch. as for the PGA, they could learn a thing or two.

-a.

#28 monkeynaut

monkeynaut

I'm Gonna Live Forever! But first I need to stop this bl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124830
GolfWRX Likes : 1428

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

View Postgreens hit, on 18 May 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

Something similar happened with my daughter when she was 2.  A few days later, she gets a call asking to remove her name from her phone.  
I don't even know how he got the number, but I've got a 5 iron with his name on it.
Posted Image
Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW
Mizuno JPX 50*, Mizuno MPT-11 54*
Vokey SM4 60/10, Odyssey Black TD #2

#29 greens hit

greens hit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

Only place creepers can stalk beautiful ladies and not risk a restraining order.

#30 Mr22putt

Mr22putt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153663
GolfWRX Likes : 826

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

Glen:
Nice story....so is Nats or Nicole his fav pro now?...why not both.
Suggestion.....you should send an email along with the pic to lpga.com....titled for "Love of the Fans".....they are always interested in stories like yours.
http://www.lpga.com/...contact-us.aspx

The LPGA pros get it...they entertain their customers...the fans.
It is such great sports entertainment value.....$50-$80 for a weekly pass/$10-$20/day or free (Sybase tix promo).

The pros are especially nice to the kids...and a great environment to bring your children vs. some PGA events where you are standing by someone yelling "mashed potatoes"...lol.

Nats sets the benchmark for fan interaction.....I have never seen Nats walk by or not sign an autograph.
During play and waiting at a tee block...a young boy asked for her auto (the child didn't know better)....she turned around and signed with a smile.
Nats deserves every penny from her endorsement contracts.
Her dad is a pretty nice guy to chat with....mom is quiet.

The guys can learn a lot from the LPGA...but they don't have to 'sell' to get fans to come out and watch.

At the 2010 USSO....after their rds....T. Watson and Freddy did not sign for 10 kids with foamy golf balls asking for autos.
One mom was so mad....."why did I waste my money at the USGA tent to buy these balls for my children".

I looked down and only saw 2 autos...it was 730pm.

I asked the lady if she had attended a LPGA event...she said no....I said they would have 50+ autos by 6pm

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors