Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New 2012 Bushnell NEO+ GPS Watch Rangefinder

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 The GreekGrind

The GreekGrind

Invictus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4403
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

New 2012 Bushnell NEO+ GPS Watch Rangefinder
It’s All In The Wrist

By Pete Pappas
On twitter @TheGreekGrind

Posted Image

A better game is “all in the wrist” thanks to Bushnell’s new NEO+ GPS Golf Watch.

The NEO+ Golf Watch is Bushnell’s latest addition to their line of electronic measuring devices and boasts GPS distance calculation that’s accurate, simple, and fun to use.

When the makers of the No. 1 laser rangefinder on the PGA Tour set out expand their “GPS Made Simple” product line the challenge was to develop an instrument that addressed issues inherent in performance, simplicity, and price.

And after speaking with representatives of the company I was left with the impression they’re not only extremely excited about the new NEO+ GPS Watch but also genuinely interested in making the game more enjoyable and beneficial for golfers everywhere.

All GPS Are Not Created Equal

Bushnell worked vigorously with its GPS partners to address problematic issues like “GPS drift” and “magnetic declination” and produced intricate algorithms to address difficult accuracy issues.

The results were impressive.

Tests against their own laser products found the NEO+ GPS Watch to be extremely accurate.  While competitor GPS products were as much as eight to ten yards different.

“It’s how the components inside come together along with the ability to write software to the chipset that makes the difference,” explained Bushnell Product Director Terry Mears.

Whether you’re at the tee, on approach, in a bunker, or even hitting a blind shot, the NEO+ GPS Watch gives you accurate and reliable front of green, center of green, and back of green distances wherever you are on the course.

It shows your current hole and par information, automatically advances you to the next shot and next hole as you play, and even lets you track shot distances with the shot button.

Hit your driver a Bubba-mile?  Does your 3 iron go 274 yards like Dustin Johnson?  Now you can prove it with a flick of your wrist.

Distance Made Simple

The “10 Laws of Performance” are Bushnell’s internal communications about who they are as a company.  And Performance Law No. six states “Simplicity is the Hallmark of Genius.”

To the extent that’s true the NEO+ GPS Watch might be the Albert Einstein or Leonardo Da Vinci of GPS watches.

Numbers are crisp, large, and easy to read.  Processing speeds are rapid.  Preloaded with more courses than any GPS watch on the market (more than 25,000) there are no subscriptions or fees.  And button pressing is at a minimum.

“With Auto Course Recognition and Auto Hole Advance features golfers may not touch a button again after the first tee, unless they want to check shot distance (with one button press),” Mears said.

If you don’t like searching for sprinkler heads and find laser pick and fire too time consuming then the easy to use NEO+ GPS Watch is probably more your style (and speed).

“We make operation easy, intuitive, and simple,” Mears said.  “The NEO+ GPS Watch gives you all the features you need and none you don’t.”

And that just might be genius enough to reduce your scores and handicap as well.

Aggravated Battery

Battery power is drained rapidly in any GPS unit once it’s turned on.  However Bushnell found a proven solution to power dissipation and it won’t drain your wallet.

“Our goal of providing a cost effective product that outperformed others was achieved with the new NEO+ GPS Golf Watch,” Mears said.

Actual tests show the NEO+ GPS Watch battery life lasts for an impressive three full rounds (or 14 hours) of golf.  Battery life of the nearest competitor manages just six to eight hours by comparison.

“[And] in watch mode one competitor lasted 20 days before it needed to be charged,” Mears said.  “With ours you get well over one year before recharging is required.”

Even after battery life is depleted in GPS mode you still get over 90 days in watch mode (which also includes odometer, alarm, and timer features).

Charged up battery.  Charged up golfer.  NEO+ GPS Watch love.

Product Features
• Ready to play right out of the box
• Provides easy to read front/center/back distance
• Auto course/ auto hole recognition
• Shot distance calculator
• Non-golf features: Standard watch functions, odometer, alarm
• Water proof to 30m
• Preloaded with more courses than any GPS watch on the market
• Option to download additional courses available (including international courses)
• Powered by iGolf (one of the fastest growing online golf communities and No. 1 Golf GPS database for GPS devices) where you can also track scoring and statistics with a free membership and free handicap tracker.

The NEO+ GPS Watch debuts in mid May at a retail price of $199.

Follow Pete on twitter @TheGreekGrind
Bushnell NEO+ GPS Watch

Edited by The GreekGrind, 16 May 2012 - 05:41 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 tbowles411

tbowles411

I've always liked this pic. :)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1718

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

Sweet!  You mean it's not $350?  Pretty cool if you just need the front,  middle and back.

#3 G N R

G N R

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128428
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

If it does everything that it claims, pretty damn impressive!  I think the convenience of it will be the major draw card.  Beats pulling out your iPhone for every shot!

#4 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 965

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

View Posttbowles411, on 16 May 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

Sweet!  You mean it's not $350?  Pretty cool if you just need the front,  middle and back.

This would not be a good tool for you bro...

#5 acesneights

acesneights

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1244
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Yeah but does it tell time??? :clapping:

#6 The GreekGrind

The GreekGrind

Invictus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Actual pictures added:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 strungoutt1

strungoutt1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96388
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

Is it just me, or does that watch seem huge? I'm pretty sure I would rather not lug around an anchor on my wrist.

#8 G N R

G N R

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128428
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

It does look kind of big in those photos, but they can't exactly make it tiny and still have all the features it does.  Maybe its just the angle that the photos were taken.

#9 strungoutt1

strungoutt1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96388

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Your right, it probably is partly due to the angle.

However even at best, it looks like some early 90's "computer" watch. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing one.

#10 The GreekGrind

The GreekGrind

Invictus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

View Poststrungoutt1, on 21 May 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

Is it just me, or does that watch seem huge? I'm pretty sure I would rather not lug around an anchor on my wrist.
Ha, yes it's much smaller than the pictures.  They were taken very close up.  In terms of size compare the watch to the velcro glove strap.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 pingman1

pingman1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6229
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

How does it compare in size to the Garmin?

#12 tonyy

tonyy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65066
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

Very cool idea. I don't like to wear watches in general when I play golf though.

#13 uscspur11

uscspur11

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122813

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Thats pretty cool.

#14 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136468
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

View Postpingman1, on 22 May 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

It is bigger than the S1.  It is similar in size to the Approach S3, but the S3 is circular as opposed to square.  Disclosure: I work at Garmin.

#15 avgjoe

avgjoe

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87610
GolfWRX Likes : 130

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

Need to have super titanium magnets in the band...

#16 golf_fanatik

golf_fanatik

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35492
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

Doesn't look like it provides distances to hazards though right?

#17 Cherry Ghost

Cherry Ghost

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163785
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Very cool and at a decent price. I also like that it keeps score. I currently use the iPhone and that gets to be a pain.

#18 Mattco

Mattco

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180724
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

A friend that I played with a couple weeks ago had the Garmin GPS watch and it was awesome, he was within a couple yards of me shooting it with my laser every shot.  It was impressive.

I just wish I could wear a watch while I play golf.

#19 Mr.Rob

Mr.Rob

True Temper & GolfWRX Test Team Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136588
  • Ebay ID:wildman_performance
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

I do not believe it keeps score Cherry, might double check that.

I am going to buy one of these watch GPS  units very, very soon. (Well, my wife is getting me one for my birthday but same end result) I have been researching them extensively. Hard part is that...no one has them.

The Garmin S1 is only one readily available. I like the style of the S1, as it is the only one of the 4 that I would wear off the course and not feel like a castoff from the 80's movie Weird Science!, but I will have to wait 2 months for my course to be added and it does not have hazard info. Great reputation though for performance and durability.

The Bushnell Neo+ looks like it has same features as S1 and is ready to go with my course preloaded but is certainly a golf only item as it is very unattractive to me as a wrist watch. Company has great rep as well so reliability is not a concern.

The Motorola Motoactv has all the bells and whistles, too many in fact IMO as it looses the simplicity appeal and is freakin huge. Reviews show questionable quality/durability. Not good when it's the most expensive of the group. ( I personally am not looking at the S3 as the price is just ridiculous to me especially when the WR62 does same thing for the half the price )

The Expresso WR62 seems to have the closest blend of form/function/price. It has the yardage AND hazard info, yet it still retains the simple easy to use factor. Like the Neo, it is not a very attractive option for daily wear despite the name, again my opinion here. Biggest concern though is the question mark with service/reliability/durability as the smallest, least well known or accessible company. I can find very little info on ESN the maker.

Decisions, decisions. It would be a lot easier if one could compare them side by side and try them on for fit, feel and looks but the Bushnell and the Expresso are just too new for that right now.

While this reply turned into a mini journal, I am very happy to see Bushnell coming out with the new Neo+ watch. I think competition is great and really like that they entered with a lower price point than the S1 had as that makes it a win for the consumer and future devices in the category.

#20 OffCourse

OffCourse

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119351
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

As someone who walks and carries my bag, as soon as they released the Garmin S1, I had one and it is awesome.  It does everything this watch does and is normal wristwatch size.  Considering that is the only difference that I can see, I can't imagine anyone picking this over the Garmin if the saw them side by side...

The BIG thing I'm waiting for is a GPS wristwatch that you can manually update yardages on.  Until then, or until my S1 dies, I'm not buying another GPS.  My course changed a few green locations two years ago so now my S1 is basically a piece of ballast on those holes.  I've contacted Garmin multiple times about updating the course... you'd think they had to personally fly out here and measure the course with a #@!$ing yard stick; they just gave me a bunch of excuses every time.

(I should point out that they HAVE issued multiple updates, they just didn't include my course, which, being a little known course in Vermont is understandable.)
On top of that, my course got flooded and about half of it washed away in Irene last year and they're rebuilding more holes, so now my S1 is good for about half the course :russian_roulette:

But as far as I can tell, no one has a watch that is manually update-able yet.

Edited by OffCourse, 24 May 2012 - 09:11 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Linkkingx

Linkkingx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121288
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

View PostRock Chalk Jayhawk, on 22 May 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

View Postpingman1, on 22 May 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

It is bigger than the S1.  It is similar in size to the Approach S3, but the S3 is circular as opposed to square.  Disclosure: I work at Garmin.

So the S3 is bigger than the S1?  It looks like it's a little smaller from the pictures, but I guess you can't really tell until you see them in person.

#22 ronnbee

ronnbee

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138003
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

just got one, very light on the wrist  pretty neat

Edited by ronnbee, 12 July 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#23 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
GolfWRX Likes : 360

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

The pics of this watch are WAY OFF, it's actually very soft and designed to wear small if that makes sense. I think they worked hard on comfort in this design, it's feels great on wrist. Those pics are really off, this sucker seems like a winner! BB
Ping i20
Cally XHot Pro
Titty 913H, Adams DHy, Titty 712u
Ping S55's
Titty TVD-M's, PVD
Machine M10A

#24 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Played my first round with the Bushnell Neo+ today, and just loved it.

As to the size issue, it is no bigger than a Timex Ironman, if that helps for reference.  Far, far smaller than it appears in the pictures above.  It is also lighter and more comfortable than the watches I wear for running.  Honestly, I wasn't even aware that I had it on until I needed a yardage.

It failed to advance to the next hole automatically only twice, and the fix to advance it manually was both quick and intuitive.

Checked the battery level when I finished my round, and still had 3 of 4 bars left.  Plugged it in when I got home and it was fully charged in about 30 minutes, ready to go tomorrow.

Cool product, and I couldn't be more pleased.

#25 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Any more reviews on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic