Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Heel shafted blade putters

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 duckhook

duckhook

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21466
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:37 PM

I had an old Wilson 8802 (not original) that I loved.  Bad day a few years ago, and it ended up in a pond.  Since I've been using the Pro Platinum Newport 2, and it does OK.

Anyway, I'm wondering why there are so few of these heel shafted blades on the market.  These putters were always considered great for faster greens, and nowdays it seems no courses are under 9 on the stimp...most around 10. So to me it seems we'd be seeing more, not less.

Shopping for one of these is a pain.  Cameron has the Napa (beauty but expensive).  Cleveland and Ping make ugly ones.  I've seen a Yes version, but found it very light.

Any others out there I could look into?

Thanks

Edited by duckhook, 08 January 2007 - 08:38 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 xxio

xxio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:06 PM

The heel shafted blade market is just not that big. I have 3 8802 style putters, but I have maybe 25 putters over all.

Even the guys who buy the Napas don't really play them. You can go to TCC and a lot of the guys there are buying them as an investment.

Reid, me, and a few wrx'ers are the only guys I know who actually game their Napas.

Wilson has had many remakes of the 8802 over the years. They have a new one but with an insert and a sightline :)

The Ray Cook Austin1 can be had for $40sh new  from a sponsor

The new Cleveland Calamity Jane is similar but not quite the 8802 look.

Best bet is to get a used one off ebay(Cleveland Designed By would be a great option) then refiinish.

#3 coreyt

coreyt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17856
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

Try to find a Titleist Tour Model Heel Shafted Original, its a great "8802" style putter.  Theres two versions offset and no offset so you have a choice.  Ray Cook has one which is pretty solid.  Also Mills has the TPM 7 (just picked one up on ebay pretty cheap) which seems pretty nice (going to try and restore it).  There are so many versions but these are great for price you can pick them up for.

#4 MrParr1Noid

MrParr1Noid

No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382
GolfWRX Likes : 280

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:13 PM

View Postduckhook, on Jan 8 2007, 07:37 PM, said:

I had an old Wilson 8802 (not original) that I loved.  Bad day a few years ago, and it ended up in a pond.  Since I've been using the Pro Platinum Newport 2, and it does OK.

Anyway, I'm wondering why there are so few of these heel shafted blades on the market.  These putters were always considered great for faster greens, and nowdays it seems no courses are under 9 on the stimp...most around 10. So to me it seems we'd be seeing more, not less.

Shopping for one of these is a pain.  Cameron has the Napa (beauty but expensive).  Cleveland and Ping make ugly ones.  I've seen a Yes version, but found it very light.

Thanks

The numbers of the heel shafted blade type putters is pretty high actually, but the usable, or should I say, available heel shafted putters is quite low due to the number of people throwing them into ponds, lakes, and rivers, etc etc. :)   It just goes to show you how popular they are but they don't seem to work all that well. :)
BB Alpha 9.0 Aldila ATX 55
BB fw/w 3 & 5 Fubuki Z 65
Apex Pro 4-PW UST Recoil 95
Odyssey MXM #1 w/sight dot
Mack Daddy 2 - 52 & 56 S grind

#5 xxio

xxio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:22 PM

Forgot abot the old Spaulding TP Mills.

The TPM 16 and 17 I think. I've been trying to get info on the differences. Help anyone?

I have been trying to find one for a decent price to refinish. The current "resurgence" seems to have driven up the prices a bit.

#6 ronn

ronn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6624
  • Ebay ID:ronn_rr

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:26 PM

I game my Napa, and I'm looking into getting a handmade mills version.  You could also check out The Kent made by Slighter, also I think Byron Morgan can make this style.

Ronald

Edited by ronn, 08 January 2007 - 09:29 PM.

#7 manship1856

manship1856

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14209
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:22 PM

I have a Snake Eyes heel shafted blade, Viper Tour 1, and it's pretty sweet.  Reasonably priced.  Good weight.  Sweet like a peach when struck well.  I tend to leave it open from time to time when I storke it, but it is a sweet SWEET stick.  I don't think you can go wrong here.  If you want one I'll make you a deal.

#8 mash

mash

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3038
  • Ebay ID:matmash

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:27 AM

View Postxxio, on Jan 9 2007, 03:06 AM, said:

The heel shafted blade market is just not that big. I have 3 8802 style putters, but I have maybe 25 putters over all.

Even the guys who buy the Napas don't really play them. You can go to TCC and a lot of the guys there are buying them as an investment.

Reid, me, and a few wrx'ers are the only guys I know who actually game their Napas.

Wilson has had many remakes of the 8802 over the years. They have a new one but with an insert and a sightline :)

The Ray Cook Austin1 can be had for $40sh new  from a sponsor

The new Cleveland Calamity Jane is similar but not quite the 8802 look.

Best bet is to get a used one off ebay(Cleveland Designed By would be a great option) then refiinish.

I'm with you ! (all my mates think I'm crazy when I play with one of my napa's - specialy the brand new valley). For me, heel shafted blade are the most beatifull putters (with the SD 1) but you need to be a good putter to be efficient with it !

#9 Rabidpenguin45

Rabidpenguin45

Gotta love tour preffered knitts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15927

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:20 AM

I have always wanted a cameron Napa... just not paying a high price... I'll get one eventually though.

#10 lumbee1977

lumbee1977

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9114

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:41 AM

I play a Napa, I had a Slighter Kent that was every bit as good, but I traded it out.  I have seen pictures of the new "gun" like finish on Slighter's board, A Kent in that would be awesome.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 stage1350

stage1350

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 664
  • Location:5 stars, 5 diamonds, 28 tables, 600 slots. Life is good...
  • Ebay ID:stage1350
GolfWRX Likes : 1149

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:24 AM

Closest to the original Designed by Arnold Palmer:
Cleveland Designed by (Classic or Ben Crenshaw)
1995/96 Napa
Bettinardi BB2
Tad Moore Tour Classic
Teardrop TD42

Closest to the newer 8802 shape:
1997-newer Napa
Porsche Design PD11
Byron JB02
Cleveland Form Forged III
Callaway Arnold Palmer blade
Palmer "original"

I prefer the Designed by Palmer styles with the thicker topline and more pronounced flange.  They just seem to fit my eye better.
Tour Issue Superdeep 9.5 w/ PX-8A4
X-Hot Pro 3Deep 13 w/ PX-10A2
Tour Issue 585.H 17 w/ Diamana Thump X
Mizuno MP-63 3-PW w/ DG Tour X7
Bettinardi Solid Copper BB2 RJB1982
Scratch <1018DS> w/ DG Tour X7

#12 Studio B

Studio B

Advanced

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6170
  • Ebay ID:primetimer006
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:34 AM

View Postduckhook, on Jan 8 2007, 07:37 PM, said:

Thanks

Bettinardi makes a nice blade style in both carbon steel and stainless steel (DASS) though if your looking for most affordable the carbon would be the way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors