Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Bushnell Neo Software Installation Frustration

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82498
  • Handicap:13.7
GolfWRX Likes : 181

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

I guess I am behind the times. I have always liked playing by using the yardage markers on the course. It does irk  me when a course isn't well marked and time is wasted looking for a yardage marker. . I recently thought that maybe I should try something simple like a gps. to help speed along play on those poorly marked courses that I sometime play. So I thought I would get something simple and cheap to see how it goes. I bought the Bushnell Neo with free course downloads for a yr. I read alot of reviews and many people liked the unit but a concern I saw was the problem that some had installing the software. I know my way around a computer but I'm not an expert. Thinking that I could figure it out and also thinking the unit has been out for so long I figured any software problems would  long be solved with an update.

I bought the unit last week and hoped it would arrive by the weekend so I could use it on Sun. Low and behold it was sitting on the porch when I got home from a family outing on Sat. Just like a little kid I was excited to load  the course on it for Sun and  add a few for the following week.

The unit didn't come with the software but it sure did look easy on the Bushnell website. Download Java, click here, download the software, extract it and click on the installer. Pretty simple for even the novice computer person. Well guess what ? It would just sit there after clicking on the Bushnell Neo Sync icon saying "loading". It would never finish loading. I tried it on Windows XP, Vista 64 bit, and Windows 7 . Same thing on every computer. I searched for a solution on GolfWRX and elswhere. I tried everything I could find looking for a fix.  Looking for the Igolf file, making sure I had 32 bit Java only. Installing and uninstalling everything time and time again. I knew it was probably something simple I was overlooking. I threw in the towel and waited to call Bushnell customer service this morning.

The rep answered the phone quickly this morning. I explained to him what the problem was and  that I had the same problem on XP, Vista,and 7. He went right to deleting the iGolf file and said that would take care of it. When I said I had looked for that file and that wasn't the problem he goes on to tell me I must have a bad virus on all my computers. I assured him that wasn't the case. He was polite and said we find that it is operator error 99% of the time. I agreed with him on that one and said that was why I was asking for help. He comes back with the virus again. I mentioned that I saw where other people had problems installing the software too and I wasn't buying the virus . I then asked him about Java as the problem and he said it wouldn't be Java. I told him I had the most current version of 32 bit Java, "actually got it through the Bushnell link". He then says he knew it worked with an older version of Java. So after I say then it is a software problem related to you not updating it to the new version of Java he says it couldn't be a Java problem and asks me if I would like a tech to call me. By this time I said sure, "thinking you are just blowing me off. " Well still waiting on that tech to call me back 6 hrs later.

In the meantime I pulled out an old dusty desktop with Windows XP from some yrs ago. I fired it up and the software went right on it with no problems what so ever. I checked  the Java I had on it and it was a much older version. So it was a Java issue.

I can't say I am real happy with Bushnell customer service at this point in time or the fact the link provided by them goes to the new version of Java that doesn't work with their software. I know the Neo is old so maybe I am expecting to much for them to take the time to fix the issue. I did see on their site they mention an older version of Java. So maybe it's all me. Operator error.  I am also concerned by having an older version of Java  on my system. Don't want to get the bad virus the rep thought I had , for real.

What I thought would be a simple install turned into more then I bargained for.

Sorry if this issue has been posted before. I searched on here and didn't come accross it. It sure would have saved me some time. I hope this thread may help someone else . Might be someone else behind the times like me purchasing one.

Edited by Greenie, 14 May 2012 - 02:14 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Wayneo

Wayneo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56638
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

You should see the Mac version and installation, which is even WORSE.

A bit of background info is that Bushnell bought the software and hardware from iGolf, and other than the branding of the startup screen, it's identical to the iGolf version. There hasn't been an update to the software in well over a year, and for those using the latest Mac OS version, also unusable for those not in the know, and iGolf has no clue about a simple workaround to get it to work, much less a fix, which is also quite simple.

Great little unit, s^&*ty software, silly mappings.

#3 avgjoe

avgjoe

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87610
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

I had that problem... ended up reloading the software and driver mighta been missing or something.  PITA

#4 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

View Postavgjoe, on 15 May 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

I had that problem... ended up reloading the software and driver mighta been missing or something.  PITA

I installed and uninstalled everything multiple times, on three different windows platforms, including Java 32 bit and 64 bit.  My issue was strickly related to that the program needs an older version of Java 32 bit to work. I keep all my computers updated. I guess that was my downfall. When I threw the software on an old computer I no longer use or update  it went right on. I wish the Bushnell site would direct their Java link to an old version that works with their software. I might have figured it out quicker. It also might help the next guy out.

Edited by Greenie, 15 May 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#5 robertpetry

robertpetry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144203
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

I had the same issue with the Neo+ watch that just came out.  After messing with 3 computers, multiple browsers and a VM here is what I learned;

1.  As of June 12, iGolf is not able to support Mac or Windows running in a VM.  I could not get either to work including Windows 7 in Parallels.  They claim it is "coming" but the watch is too new...
2.  Mine was fixed by using 32 bit Java and going into Java settings in control panel and deleting all "temporary internet files" including Java apps.

#6 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:25 AM

View Postrobertpetry, on 12 June 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

I had the same issue with the Neo+ watch that just came out.  After messing with 3 computers, multiple browsers and a VM here is what I learned;

1.  As of June 12, iGolf is not able to support Mac or Windows running in a VM.  I could not get either to work including Windows 7 in Parallels.  They claim it is "coming" but the watch is too new...
2.  Mine was fixed by using 32 bit Java and going into Java settings in control panel and deleting all "temporary internet files" including Java apps.

I tried that with mine and it still didn't work. I had to uninstall the current version of 32 bit Java and find an older version of Java to get the Neo software to work. I figured since the Neo was an older model they just didn't bother to update it.
It's to bad they have newer stuff out and are using the excuse "it's to new" as to why people are having installation issues.

#7 robertpetry

robertpetry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144203

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

One thing I forgot to mention.  They had me install the serial driver and the USB driver.  I have no idea why but she said it was an important step.  Good luck.

#8 BlueJay

BlueJay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16207

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:57 AM

Got neo+ watch, iGolf can't seem to handle for Mac. But the it's manual says it can, what a crap.

#9 bal704

bal704

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181046
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

I just received my Neo, and also had trouble installing the software on Vista and Win 7.  I loaded it on an old XP box, and it worked fine.  Thanks for the tips in this thread.

#10 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52886
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

View Postbal704, on 19 June 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

I just received my Neo, and also had trouble installing the software on Vista and Win 7.  I loaded it on an old XP box, and it worked fine.  Thanks for the tips in this thread.

I had [still have] the original iGolf Neo and it all worked fine on my Vista Home Premium computer.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 bal704

bal704

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

Mine is the Bushnell Neo, not sure if it's the same one you're talking about.  The issue is with java, not the OS.  If you haven't upgraded Java in a while, it may work on a newer PC.

#12 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:18 AM

View Postbal704, on 19 June 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

Mine is the Bushnell Neo, not sure if it's the same one you're talking about.  The issue is with java, not the OS.  If you haven't upgraded Java in a while, it may work on a newer PC.

Yes, I was using an older version of Java so I'm sure you're correct.  BTW, the Neo [not the Neo+] is the model I was talking about.  It was bought out by Bushnell from iGolf.

#13 bal704

bal704

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

The problem seems to be with the Bushnell website.  They give a step by step installation guide, including download links to the latest Java version.  Which doesn't work.  As long as you skip the Java step, it seems to work fine.

View Postchas521, on 19 June 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

Yes, I was using an older version of Java so I'm sure you're correct.  BTW, the Neo [not the Neo+] is the model I was talking about.  It was bought out by Bushnell from iGolf.

#14 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

View Postbal704, on 19 June 2012 - 08:26 AM, said:

The problem seems to be with the Bushnell website.  They give a step by step installation guide, including download links to the latest Java version.  Which doesn't work.  As long as you skip the Java step, it seems to work fine.

View Postchas521, on 19 June 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

Incidentally, what model Neo are you talking about?  Any chance that the iGolf website has any support?

#15 Instant Offense

Instant Offense

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127770
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Download and use Firefox. Fixed all my issues.

#16 bal704

bal704

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

I'm not sure which model.  It's a Bushnell Neo that I just bought new.  No CD, and it directed me to the Bushnell web site.

#17 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

View Postbal704, on 19 June 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

I'm not sure which model.  It's a Bushnell Neo that I just bought new.  No CD, and it directed me to the Bushnell web site.

The difference is this.  The original Neo model did not show the courses nearby when a satellte lock was gotten.  Nor did it have automatic hole advance.  Everything was basically done by pushing a button.  Try the iGolf website.  Don't know if it is different, but it's worth a look anyway.

#18 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostInstant Offense, on 19 June 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

I tried Firefox. It didn't help a thing. The issue is with Java. The Bushnell site gives you a link to Java. Of course the link goes to the newest version on Java which doesn't work with the old software. I now have the software working on Windows 7, Vista64, and XP32bit. I uninstalled Java version 7 32 bit and installed version 6.33 to get it to work. You can't have Java 64 bit or Java 32 bit 7 or above on your computer. You need Java 6

http://java.com/en/d...d/manual_v6.jsp

Edited by Greenie, 19 June 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#19 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

View Postbal704, on 19 June 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

Follow all the instructions on the Bushnell site but with the Java link ignore version 7 and search on the Java site for version 6.33 32bit.

#20 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1360

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

Are we talking Mac or Windows here?

I'm pretty sure mine is Windows 7 64-bit (because I run the 64-bit version of Reaper on it) with the latest-and-greatest Java installed. When I got a Neo+ last month the software install ran without a hitch.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

You can also look here http://www.oldversio...a-Platform.html

Edited by chas521, 19 June 2012 - 09:27 AM.

#22 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostFourmyle of Ceres, on 19 June 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Are we talking Mac or Windows here?

I'm pretty sure mine is Windows 7 64-bit (because I run the 64-bit version of Reaper on it) with the latest-and-greatest Java installed. When I got a Neo+ last month the software install ran without a hitch.

I am referring to the original Neo. I am only talking about the Windows platform.The software will work on 64 bit or 32 bit . The original Neo is discounted now and I know a few members on here recently purchased the older model. It looks very easy to install.  I had alot of problems because of the link on the Bushnell site.

Edited by Greenie, 19 June 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#23 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1360

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

Sorry, missed that bit. Never mind!

#24 Kaceman

Kaceman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200629

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostGreenie, on 19 June 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

View PostInstant Offense, on 19 June 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

I tried Firefox. It didn't help a thing. The issue is with Java. The Bushnell site gives you a link to Java. Of course the link goes to the newest version on Java which doesn't work with the old software. I now have the software working on Windows 7, Vista64, and XP32bit. I uninstalled Java version 7 32 bit and installed version 6.33 to get it to work. You can't have Java 64 bit or Java 32 bit 7 or above on your computer. You need Java 6

Greenie - you're a lifesaver. Haven't been able to get my Neo working for months after I got a new laptop at work and have no older ones left with Vista etc. Got it sorted now straight away with that version of Java installed !

#25 Greenie

Greenie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm glad this thread helped you out.

#26 silver77

silver77

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43221
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

bushnell products are below par and the customer service is even worse.

#27 schlyer

schlyer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20300
  • Handicap:3.2
  • Ebay ID:schlyer
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

I have to keep an old XP laptop just for this software. I build computers and we have about a dozen in the house - it only works on the old XP machine for me.

#28 jrr

jrr

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67716

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

About 18 months ago I went through this with a XGC. Igolf is the problem for sure. I sent the unit in for the upgrade to the + got it back it wouldn't work on a Mac10.5X. Igolf said "sorry tough".

Went to Bushnell and said you say your unit works with Mac and I golf won't support. Net, Igolf refused to help Bushnell. Bushnell sent me a brand XGC+ already loaded and 1600TE in compensation. Bushnell is great. Igolf then took the position that they would only support 10.6 and newer. I just gave up.

#29 Wayneo

Wayneo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56638

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hah, their software does not support Mac OS 10.7 or 10.8. Bushnell Neo owners should complain to Bushnell who will then take it up with iGolf.

#30 dpete

dpete

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104450

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

Most companies drastically underestimate the costs associated with keeping the software their products depend on current.  So, they don't.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors