Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Callaway announces re-release of UPro MX - end of May

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3676
GolfWRX Likes : 156

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Looks like my MX+ shipped from Callaway on the 18th...Tracking shows it should be here this week.

Callaway Razr Fit 10.5* Fubuki K 60S
TM Stage2 Tour 16.5* RUL 80S
TM SLDR 19* Phenom 80S
TM '09 TP's 3-PW S300
TM RAC Black TP 54/60*
Cameron Studio Style Newport

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:9.1

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

Mine goes to sleep just fine on its own - tested it out several times yesterday.

Had no problem getting through 18 holes either, battery appeared to be at about 50% when I was done.
TM SLDR 10.5 - Adlila Tour Blue TX
TM RBZ 14.5* - Aldila Tour Blue TX
Mizuno JPX EZ 19* / 22*
Ping i20s 5-PW
Cleveland RTG 52*/56*/60*
Odyssey ProType ix #9HT
Callaway SR3

#33 wundej

wundej

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34315
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

View Postdcmidnight, on 21 May 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

<br />Mine goes to sleep just fine on its own - tested it out several times yesterday.<br /><br />Had no problem getting through 18 holes either, battery appeared to be at about 50% when I was done.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Cool, thanks.
I'll pay more attention next time I go out, but I could have sworn it wasn't going to sleep.  I do know the batter life was good though, like I said, still had a decent charge left after 27 holes.

#34 inthefairway

inthefairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90812
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

View Postinthefairway, on 20 May 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

That's awesome that it isn't going to sleep.  I have the original mx  also and after what you posted, I just went and changed  in power savings, to normal and it's staying on.  Can't wait to see how  it works on the course with this change.  Be nice not to have to awake  it every time and be interesting how much battery it uses.
I stand corrected after trying it out on the course!!!  There are three power settings.  Normal use, longer use and shorter use. After trying each setting the unit does go to sleep no matter what setting it is on. It seems like these just vary how long the screen stays lit before going to sleep.

Edited by inthefairway, 21 May 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#35 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

View Postinthefairway, on 21 May 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

That's awesome that it isn't going to sleep.  I have the original mx  also and after what you posted, I just went and changed  in power savings, to normal and it's staying on.  Can't wait to see how  it works on the course with this change.  Be nice not to have to awake  it every time and be interesting how much battery it uses.
I stand corrected after trying it out on the course!!!  There are three power settings.  Normal use, longer use and shorter use. After trying each setting the unit does go to sleep no matter what setting it is on. It seems like these just vary how long the screen stays lit before going to sleep.

That's a bummer, I'm probably in the minority, but always have my original upro set to disable power save, which is basically "always on".  Too impatient to wait for it to wake up an reacquire.  Yeah I know it's only a few seconds, but of my many faults, it's a minor one :).

TM SLDR 19* Phenom 80S
TM '09 TP's 3-PW S300
TM RAC Black TP 54/60*

#36 inthefairway

inthefairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

View Post78Staff, on 22 May 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

That's a bummer, I'm probably in the minority, but always have my original upro set to disable power save, which is basically "always on".  Too impatient to wait for it to wake up an reacquire.  Yeah I know it's only a few seconds, but of my many faults, it's a minor one :).
I was just thinking!!!  If I could get my car running lights to go off and my mx light to stay on, We'd be all set!! :friends:

#37 crazygolfnut

crazygolfnut

CrazyGolfNut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3580
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

when it goes to sleep, what do you have to do to wake it up?
Ping Driver G25 - 9.5
Callaway XHot fairway woods
Titleist 710 AP1 irons - 6 to GW
Titleist Vokey wedges SM 56 & 60
Callaway HEX Chrome Yellow
Rife Mid Mallet 400 w/ SuperStroke 3.0

#38 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,765 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

View Postcrazygolfnut, on 22 May 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

Just push the top button. Mine wakes up instantly - there is no waiting.
Mizuno JPX EZ 19* / 22*
Ping i20s 5-PW
Odyssey ProType ix #9HT
Callaway SR3

#39 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:59 AM

View Postdcmidnight, on 22 May 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

View Postcrazygolfnut, on 22 May 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

Just push the top button. Mine wakes up instantly - there is no waiting.

The original uPro wakes up right away also, but since you are invariably never in the same spot where it "went to sleep" it takes a few seconds to give you new yardages...  Still, It's a minor thing, really.

UPS Tracking shows my MX+ will be here Thursday...

Edited by 78Staff, 23 May 2012 - 06:00 AM.

TM SLDR 19* Phenom 80S
TM '09 TP's 3-PW S300
TM RAC Black TP 54/60*

#40 ramsey_steve

ramsey_steve

Advanced

• 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3567
  • Ebay ID:Ramsey_Steve
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

So I sent my original uPro back to Callaway about 3 weeks ago after it started going a little crazy - Freezing, not showing any golf courses in the directory, and sometimes it would go into a restart cycle that could only be stopped by pulling the battery.

Guess what showed up on my doorstep this afternoon - a new MX loaded with the plus software. Pretty sweet.

What's really sweet is it appears to sync seamlessly with my Mac. My old uPro was hopeless in that regard. Another couple of minutes and I'll be able to confirm that.

Oh, and what's happened to their customer service? Both times I called them, 3 weeks ago and a couple of days ago, and a live person actually answered the phone straight away!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 ramsey_steve

ramsey_steve

Advanced

• 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3567
  • Ebay ID:Ramsey_Steve

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

Confirmed, syncing actually works well on a Mac now, a far cry from the earlier "Macsync" days that had me pulling an old PC laptop out of the cupboard just to update my uPro.

Now when you plug the USB cord into the  MX the MX screen asks you if you want to charge or sync, and if syncing whether it's with a Mac or PC.

Interesting thing: Yesterday after playing my first full round using the scorecard I plugged the USB cable in, but because there were no changes to my courses manifest it wouldn't let me sync; But.. even though I didn't run sync, my scorecard and stats uploaded to my account anyway. Maybe this has always been the case, but it was a surprise to me.

Definitely no shot tracking feature - not missed by me, I never could be bothered and sadly I know my club distances, but others liked it I hear. As an original uPro user what I do miss is the button that gave you distance to 100 yards out and 150 yards out on the second click. The Anypoint function replaces it, but it's not all that smooth, and you really can't use the touchscreen to move it around, so it's useful but not an ideal replacement for the earlier feature.

Also the original uPro's button that toggled between pan and zoom is gone.. ok, I get the touchscreen thing, and for panning around it works ok, but the zoom function isn't so good, sometimes works, sometimes not. I just don't want a lot of time wasting and fiddling around with a device while playing golf.

Battery life looks fantastic! - still showed 90% after a full round.. that is until I plugged in the charger and the reading dropped to 45%. Still good actually, but clearly the software needs a little work there.

Scoring and stats are no longer a user selectable option. they're there all the time, but the score card and stats page no longer pops up after you complete a hole, you now need to click an icon each time. It works ok, but I liked having the option. Another original uPro user option that's now a default is "Next Hole". In fairness, the MX didn't miss a beat yesterday, but my home course has several sequential holes that are very close side by side, and only time will tell if it gets as confused as the original uPro used to.

So overall, mostly positive at this stage, and hoping that Callaway continues to work on the software.

Edited by ramsey_steve, 26 May 2012 - 07:38 AM.

#42 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52886
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

View Postramsey_steve, on 26 May 2012 - 07:35 AM, said:

Confirmed, syncing actually works well on a Mac now, a far cry from the earlier "Macsync" days that had me pulling an old PC laptop out of the cupboard just to update my uPro.

Now when you plug the USB cord into the  MX the MX screen asks you if you want to charge or sync, and if syncing whether it's with a Mac or PC.

Interesting thing: Yesterday after playing my first full round using the scorecard I plugged the USB cable in, but because there were no changes to my courses manifest it wouldn't let me sync; But.. even though I didn't run sync, my scorecard and stats uploaded to my account anyway. Maybe this has always been the case, but it was a surprise to me.

Definitely no shot tracking feature - not missed by me, I never could be bothered and sadly I know my club distances, but others liked it I hear. As an original uPro user what I do miss is the button that gave you distance to 100 yards out and 150 yards out on the second click. The Anypoint function replaces it, but it's not all that smooth, and you really can't use the touchscreen to move it around, so it's useful but not an ideal replacement for the earlier feature.

Also the original uPro's button that toggled between pan and zoom is gone.. ok, I get the touchscreen thing, and for panning around it works ok, but the zoom function isn't so good, sometimes works, sometimes not. I just don't want a lot of time wasting and fiddling around with a device while playing golf.

Battery life looks fantastic! - still showed 90% after a full round.. that is until I plugged in the charger and the reading dropped to 45%. Still good actually, but clearly the software needs a little work there.

Scoring and stats are no longer a user selectable option. they're there all the time, but the score card and stats page no longer pops up after you complete a hole, you now need to click an icon each time. It works ok, but I liked having the option. Another original uPro user option that's now a default is "Next Hole". In fairness, the MX didn't miss a beat yesterday, but my home course has several sequential holes that are very close side by side, and only time will tell if it gets as confused as the original uPro used to.

So overall, mostly positive at this stage, and hoping that Callaway continues to work on the software.

Thanks for the information.  I remember on the old mx that if you turned the device on its side, the scorecard would automatically pop up.  Also, regarding battery life.  You shouldn't completely believe what the battery level is showing by itself but ONLY when you plug it to recharge.

Edited by chas521, 26 May 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#43 DownTownLB

DownTownLB

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171943

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

View Post78Staff, on 22 May 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

That's a bummer, I'm probably in the minority, but always have my original upro set to disable power save, which is basically "always on".  Too impatient to wait for it to wake up an reacquire.  Yeah I know it's only a few seconds, but of my many faults, it's a minor one Posted Image.

I really do not understand the complaints about this feature.  Pull it out of your pocket (because it's the ONLY GPS out there I consider truly UNOBTRUSIVELY POCKET-ABLE) tab the top button and mine wakes immediately.  Yes it shows your previous yardage at that point.....but in ONE SECOND it switches to the current yardage.  Quicker than I could personally make a club choice.  IF that's too slow for you - then I'm sure there's so much about golf that frustrates you, that you would have quit playing this great game LOOOOONG ago.

To be small.....the battery had to shrink.  A battery that size makes power saving feature a must.  Pick your poison.......an always-on brick......OR a svelte and unobtrusive gps.   You can't have both.

#44 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

View PostDownTownLB, on 23 July 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

I really do not understand the complaints about this feature.  Pull it out of your pocket (because it's the ONLY GPS out there I consider truly UNOBTRUSIVELY POCKET-ABLE) tab the top button and mine wakes immediately.  Yes it shows your previous yardage at that point.....but in ONE SECOND it switches to the current yardage.  Quicker than I could personally make a club choice.  IF that's too slow for you - then I'm sure there's so much about golf that frustrates you, that you would have quit playing this great game LOOOOONG ago.

To be small.....the battery had to shrink.  A battery that size makes power saving feature a must.  Pick your poison.......an always-on brick......OR a svelte and unobtrusive gps.   You can't have both.

I think that you sorta missed the point.  While the sleep issue is a major PITA, there are other points that also need to be addressed.  The screen size is too small and needs to be enlarged in later devices.  It's not that the battery had to shrink to conserve size - the Garmin Approach G5 is the same size length/width.  Only a little thicker because it uses AA batteries instead - because other devices don't need to go asleep to conserve the battery.

#45 inthefairway

inthefairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

I have an unobtrusive one but I'd rather use my svelte one!! Good point on that feature!!!

#46 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• 2,881 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostDownTownLB, on 23 July 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

Really, this is from over a month ago lol.  What can I say, I don't like it.  My original works fine with this feature (and is certainly no brick, sorry).  There was no need to take the feature out, other than an attempt to improve the impression that upros have bad battery life compared to other golf gps's.

But nice use of capital letters, I'm impressed... :rolleyes:
TM SLDR 19* Phenom 80S
TM '09 TP's 3-PW S300
TM RAC Black TP 54/60*

#47 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,765 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

"The screen size is too small" is an opinion - not a feature that needs to be fixed. IMO.

This is something you can easily decide for yourself *before* purchasing the unit. If its too small for you, buy one of the ones with bigger screens. Software bugs, flaws, things you discover after purchase - I would agree on that. But the small size is like saying well the unit is black, that needs to be fixed.

For instance, I would never buy a giant brick of a unit like the Skycaddie. Just not for me. But I can go to the store before buying it and make that decision. I would never buy one, sight unseen, and then say that they need to make the screen smaller because its too big.

Screen size is one of those things you need to decide before you buy it.
Mizuno JPX EZ 19* / 22*
Ping i20s 5-PW
Odyssey ProType ix #9HT
Callaway SR3

#48 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

View Postdcmidnight, on 24 July 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

"The screen size is too small" is an opinion - not a feature that needs to be fixed. IMO.

This is something you can easily decide for yourself *before* purchasing the unit. If its too small for you, buy one of the ones with bigger screens. Software bugs, flaws, things you discover after purchase - I would agree on that. But the small size is like saying well the unit is black, that needs to be fixed.

For instance, I would never buy a giant brick of a unit like the Skycaddie. Just not for me. But I can go to the store before buying it and make that decision. I would never buy one, sight unseen, and then say that they need to make the screen smaller because its too big.

Screen size is one of those things you need to decide before you buy it.

Yes, you are correct.  When a person goes to buy something and it is not completely up to their standard[s] for some reason, they should pass buying it.  But, when a company advertises misleading information by showing a picture that is unlike what you really see on the course, then they should be brought to task.  The advertised picture shows a large screen picture of the hole and all the elements of the hole are easily visually seen and very clear but in a real situation that is not the case.  So, in order to match the advertisement, the screen needs to be larger.  Besides, how is a company going to learn unless the users bring up an issue?

#49 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,765 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

Can you show me specifically what you are referring to? I've looked through their website and seen nothing that vectors too far from what I see on my unit.
Mizuno JPX EZ 19* / 22*
Ping i20s 5-PW
Odyssey ProType ix #9HT
Callaway SR3

#50 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

View Postdcmidnight, on 24 July 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

Can you show me specifically what you are referring to? I've looked through their website and seen nothing that vectors too far from what I see on my unit.

Easy  http://www.engadget....he-golf-course/  Note that the advertised screen more than 3 inches diagonally, Not the 2.2 of real.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,765 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

You were talking specifically about it showing a course layout that it does not in reality.

But that picture is exactly how mine looks.
Mizuno JPX EZ 19* / 22*
Ping i20s 5-PW
Odyssey ProType ix #9HT
Callaway SR3

#52 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,765 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

And the place I bought it from clearly advertises it as 2.2". The bezel IMO is something that every product has.

http://www.golflandw...p?xcmsentryid=9

So does Golf Galaxy:

http://www.golfgalax...omxplus/product

Not sure where it has been advertised as having a three inch touch screen but clearly that would be wrong.

Edited by dcmidnight, 24 July 2012 - 08:24 AM.

Mizuno JPX EZ 19* / 22*
Ping i20s 5-PW
Odyssey ProType ix #9HT
Callaway SR3

#53 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Callaway's own site  http://www.callawayg...ro-mx-plus.html  If you're happy, then I'm happy.  Just know that I am NOT the only one to say this.  I never said that anyone was saying more than 2.2.  I'm just talking about the clarity and the size of the picture.

Edited by chas521, 24 July 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#54 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,765 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

Sorry I must be dense but I havent found anywhere its listed as having a three inch screen.
Mizuno JPX EZ 19* / 22*
Ping i20s 5-PW
Odyssey ProType ix #9HT
Callaway SR3

#55 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

View Postdcmidnight, on 24 July 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

Sorry I must be dense but I havent found anywhere its listed as having a three inch screen.

Last time for me.  No reseller is advertising the screen to be more than 3 inches.  They ALL say 2.2.  But the advertised picture of the device in operation is misleading because it is showing a device screen of more than 3 inches making for better clarity.

#56 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,765 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

You're kidding right? What do you expect every web page to only show the device life size?

So to be clear, no one is advertising it to be three inches, no one is misleading people into thinking its three inches, no one is lying - but the "advertised picture of the device in operation" - to you - leads you to *believe* it is bigger than three inches in real life? Did you measure it on your computer monitor - I dont even understand this complaint?

And to be clear - they have not shown one single picture that shows the device doing something it cant. Those first two pictures show the device working exactly as it does. But because the picture is out of scale that is misleading?

Edited by dcmidnight, 24 July 2012 - 08:40 AM.

Mizuno JPX EZ 19* / 22*
Ping i20s 5-PW
Odyssey ProType ix #9HT
Callaway SR3

#57 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,765 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

By that logic, this picture:

http://www.skygolf.c...l.aspx?sku=SGXW

Would lead me to believe the SkyCaddie is a nice compact tiny unit. I would be pissed if I showed up at the store and found the brick that it actually is.
Mizuno JPX EZ 19* / 22*
Ping i20s 5-PW
Odyssey ProType ix #9HT
Callaway SR3

#58 chas521

chas521

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

View Postdcmidnight, on 24 July 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

You're kidding right? What do you expect every web page to only show the device life size?

So to be clear, no one is advertising it to be three inches, no one is misleading people into thinking its three inches, no one is lying - but the "advertised picture of the device in operation" - to you - leads you to *believe* it is bigger than three inches in real life? Did you measure it on your computer monitor - I dont even understand this complaint?

And to be clear - they have not shown one single picture that shows the device doing something it cant. Those first two pictures show the device working exactly as it does. But because the picture is out of scale that is misleading?

WOW!  Have a good life.

#59 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,765 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

View Postchas521, on 24 July 2012 - 07:34 AM, said:

Yes, you are correct.  When a person goes to buy something and it is not completely up to their standard[s] for some reason, they should pass buying it.  But, when a company advertises misleading information by showing a picture that is unlike what you really see on the course, then they should be brought to task.  The advertised picture shows a large screen picture of the hole and all the elements of the hole are easily visually seen and very clear but in a real situation that is not the case.  So, in order to match the advertisement, the screen needs to be larger.  Besides, how is a company going to learn unless the users bring up an issue?

You too.
Mizuno JPX EZ 19* / 22*
Ping i20s 5-PW
Odyssey ProType ix #9HT
Callaway SR3

#60 Evolved

Evolved

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50534
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

Is this chas521 guy for real? if you don't like the product that's fine but to manufacture issus that don't exist is borderline insanity.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors