Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best way to cut a graphite shaft?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 schutz006

schutz006

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109032
  • Ebay ID:schutz006
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

I got a new driver shaft RIP Beta 70 and need to cut it down to length.  I'm just wondering, as this will be my first time, what is the best way to cut down a graphite shaft so it doesn't splinter and not be usable.

I'm more interested in what to use to cut the shaft.

Thanks for your help guys.

Also, does the grip add 1/4" to the length?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 847

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

I use a fiberglass reinforced cut off wheel, either chucked on a bench grinder (6" diameter) or a smaller wheel chucked in a dremmel.  I've also used my bench grinder, using the corner of the stone, to cut down shafts before.  This method is pretty ghetto but it works well.  The grinding wheel can be used to dress the end of the cut straight too.  In my experience graphite golf shafts are not prone to splintering and the grinding wheel poses no risk.  Some people warn against breathing the carbon dust so you might want to take heed.  Personally, I avoid breathing the dust but don't take any special precautions either.

#3 word

word

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89762
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

I have always just put a strip of tape where I am going to cut and use a small hand held hacksaw. Never had any problem. I cut about an 1/8th of an inch longer than I need and file down the rest. And the grip will add about 1/8th in.

#4 robert horneman

robert horneman

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108779
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

You can use a hacksaw with a grit edge blade, be sure to wrap masking tape where you cut the shaft .if you have a Dremel tool you can use a cut off blade.
Also a bench grinder with a cut off blade. A chop saw with an abrasive blade is best.

The shaft , with the grip installed, will measure about 1/8" - 1/4" longer than the cut shaft.

#5 Ri_Redneck

Ri_Redneck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31808
GolfWRX Likes : 154

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hands down, the best is a Dremel (on low speed)with a cutting wheel.  Never splinter a shaft again.

BT

Cobra ACP w/ Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 R
R11 T3/14*, 4/17*, 5/19* w/ GD YS+ 8.1 S
Titleist 695CB 4-PW w/ steelfiber i110 R
Custom Natural Touch Macasser Ebony
Vokey SM4 52-8 & 58-8 w/ TT Wedge

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors