Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Style?

62 replies to this topic

Poll: How much does style matter? (321 member(s) have cast votes)

What you wear?

1. I have to be in the latest and greatest. (136 votes [42.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.37%

2. I'll wear polos and slacks, but who cares what the brand is. (150 votes [46.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.73%

3. Tshirt and cutoffs baby. (2 votes [0.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.62%

4. Whatever is clean. (29 votes [9.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.03%

5. My wife/gf/bf/husband/partner dresses me. (4 votes [1.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.25%

What others wear.

1. My playing partners need to be slicked out like me. (6 votes [1.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.87%

2. I don't really care as long as it's professional looking. (171 votes [53.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.27%

3. Don't care as long as they can pay for the skins. (95 votes [29.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.60%

4. Matters on the course and who I'm playing with. (49 votes [15.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JDorfler

JDorfler

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31783
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Me personally, I'm not the most coordinated guy, but I at least wear polos and slacks when I hit the course.  As far as my playing partners, as long as they make it past the clubhouse without anything being said, I don't care.

What about you guys?  How about some stories, but nothing too judgmental.  Just b/c someone is wearing Lee jean shorts, a white tshirt, and has some top-flite clubs from Wal-Mart does not make them a bad person.

The reason why I ask, there seems to be a lot of talk on here about what others wear.  I'm wondering if I'm the only one who thinks that is trivial.

Edited by JDorfler, 06 May 2012 - 09:28 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 FLGOLFJUNKIE

FLGOLFJUNKIE

Hard Work Pays Off!!!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143083
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

It doesn't make them a bad person but it makes them look like they don't really have any respect for the game or its origin. I understand not everyone has money to buy a $40-$75 polo, but if you're gonna hit up a course, keep it a bit classy!

#3 bmorejared

bmorejared

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128405
  • Ebay ID:jaredbmore1972
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

I out dress my game, which is probably just as bad as guys that wear cut off jeans and t-shirts. I really don't care what anyone else wears, but I generally don't play on courses that allow shirts without collars or denim on the course.

#4 JDorfler

JDorfler

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31783
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostFLGOLFJUNKIE, on 06 May 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

It doesn't make them a bad person but it makes them look like they don't really have any respect for the game or its origin. I understand not everyone has money to buy a $40-$75 polo, but if you're gonna hit up a course, keep it a bit classy!

I respect that stance.

View Postbmorejared, on 06 May 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

I out dress my game, which is probably just as bad as guys that wear cut off jeans and t-shirts. I really don't care what anyone else wears, but I generally don't play on courses that allow shirts without collars or denim on the course.

Maybe the old phrase "dress for the job you want, not the job you have" might apply to your game.  Maybe dressing up for the course is your way of wanting to be a better golfer and driving you forward to accomplish that goal.  I'm assuming you want to be a better golfer because I have never met someone on this forum that has said, "Man, I wish I had a worse swing.  Life would be so much better if I made more boogies."

#5 andef

andef

Go Pack Go!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97237
  • Handicap:3.3
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

I don't have the latest and greatest, but I definitely try to keep it classy on the course. I only have 2 golf polos and have never bought golf specific clothing other than rain gear.
With the amount of golf I play, the 20 cotton polo shirts I have work fine between January-May and September-December and the three performance polos I have will do just fine in the summer.
It's very easy to keep it classy on the course without spending lots of money. I buy all my clothing for normal everyday wear and luckily my style is such that these clothes look good on the course as well.

#6 mljones99

mljones99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 978
  • Handicap:12.2
  • Ebay ID:hrcjones
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

my thing is simple.... dress appropriately.

#7 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,989 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Now a days people can get nice golf polos even at Walmart without breaking the bank. Clubs play what makes you feel comfy and wear comfy but respectable cloths.
TM R1 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM R11 4-pw Project X
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

#8 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostJDorfler, on 06 May 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

Me personally, I'm not the most coordinated guy, but I at least wear polos and slacks when I hit the course.  As far as my playing partners, as long as they make it past the clubhouse without anything being said, I don't care.

This, except I do try to be coordinated. When I was a kid, my mother would never let me out of the house if my clothes didnt match, so I've kind of been "trained" to dress decent. As for anyone else, I couldnt possibly care less, as long as the course lets them out, and they dont act like a schmuck.

#9 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glenmorangie 18yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 926

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

Golf attire should be fitting for the environment.  Its not how much it costs, its how you care for it and wear it, your attitude, and how you approach the game.  ;)
SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#10 tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116652
  • Handicap:4.6
GolfWRX Likes : 187

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

My vote wasn't entirely correct.  I don't wear J Lindberg or the latest Puma... but I do like to match my outfit and I wear a lot of Ralph Lauren.  I usually wear a contrasting shirt and pants.  It is my pet peeve to see some of the Pros in a pale shirt and drab similar colored slacks.  I think most of the time Bubba Watson looks ridiculous. My philosophy is that if you are going to wear a  light colored shirt, wear a dark colored slacks and vice versa.  I also match my hat mostly to my shirts.  Occasionally I will match the hat to my shorts/slacks.  I think it looks good to wear a bright shirt like red with black shorts/slacks and a black hat, with a plus for red lettering matching the shirt.  I play a lot of resort courses where people tend to dress better so I am slightly bothered when my friends show up dressed poorly.  I had one friend that used to wear hiking shoes to play and he looked like some sort of yahoo.  It might have been overlooked if he had some game like another friend I have that plays in Birkenstock sandals or barefoot, he'll take your money all day as he is a solid scratch.  On the other hand I have a friend that looks a little like a poser with his latest and greatest driver matching everything but has no game, aka poser.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 lukesmurf59

lukesmurf59

Look at me, look at me... WHA-PANG!! LET'S GO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122208
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

I enjoy looking good but I try to do it without spending ludicrous amounts on my clothing.  The most expensive article of Golf Clothing I own is a $150 Bobby Jones vest from the 2009 US Open because (I had to have something and it was the only decent looking thing that fit me in the merchandise tent.)  Other than that, everything is cheap.  Well my glasses are really expensive but while mostly purchased for golf, I do wear them occasionally for other activities.   Pants and shirts are all pretty cheap.  Dockers and Oakley look pretty much the same unless you've got your head a foot from my *** is which case I will probably be leaving you so my appearance doesn't matter.  I definitely work to look good but not to the point of spending large sums of money on it.
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT 60S
Titleist 913f 13.5 Diamana S+ 72 S
Callaway Razr X Tour 18 Fubuki AX 400h X
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18 PXi 6.0
Callaway TA X Prototype PX Flighted 6.0
Odyssey Metal X #7 Arm Lock

#12 brkawire

brkawire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176958
  • Ebay ID:seven20sports
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

I think golf apparel has really come a long way.  I really enjoy sporting the new stuff especially from Adidas, Nike, and Under Armour.  I don't necessarily feel that way with my clothing everyday, but golf clothing is really nice these days.

Quick story, I've played golf since I was 15 (so for 15 years now).  We visited what is labeled the "Goat Ranch" in our hometown one fine afternoon for the first time, and what was playing golf there was purely magical.  I'll briefly describe two of the guys out there...

Guy #1 : Flip Flops, Baggy Jean Shorts, a Wife Beater Tank Top with food stains everywhere, and a Rayden hat (Like the guy on Mortal Combat).  His swing perfectly matched his golf attire, and he drank more beers on holes 1 & 2 than I would in a normal night out on the town.

Guy #2 : MacGregor baseball cleats (they were awesome), camouflage cargo shorts, Wal-Mart brand Detroit Pistons jersey, matching camouflage truckers cap with John Deere on the front (set off the cargo shorts), and a filthy mexican mustache that hid half his lower face.  This guy actually hit it well believe it or not, but he was keeping up drinking with Guy #1 and was destroyed by hole 5.

Classic golf outing.

#13 G N R

G N R

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128428
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

View Postandef, on 07 May 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

I don't have the latest and greatest, but I definitely try to keep it classy on the course. I only have 2 golf polos and have never bought golf specific clothing other than rain gear.
With the amount of golf I play, the 20 cotton polo shirts I have work fine between January-May and September-December and the three performance polos I have will do just fine in the summer.
It's very easy to keep it classy on the course without spending lots of money. I buy all my clothing for normal everyday wear and luckily my style is such that these clothes look good on the course as well.

That's similar to me.  A lot of the major street wear brands are making "golf friendly" fashion which is also the current trend.  If you look at brands like Lyle & Scott, Lacoste, Paul Smith, All Saints, they're all pushing chinos and polos.  You can pick-up some really cool, fitted chinos for $50-60.  The selection is massive these days.

But to answer the OP's question, everyone should make an effort and dress appropriately.  Look good --> play good.

#14 cstav

cstav

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88387
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

View Postbmorejared, on 06 May 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

There's no such thing.  Handicap should not dictate how you dress. Wear what you want to wear and makes you feel most confident.

#15 Mikey K

Mikey K

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136112
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

I try my best to look my best, people are always staring me down though and it gets quite uncomfortable at some points. So i just stare at them right back.

#16 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 736

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

I don't generally care what others wear.  I've played with a guy in ratty shorts with a sleeveless t-shirt and tennis shoes who was basically scratch and super nice and guys who wear the nicest, latest and greatest who can't play and are disrespectful all around.  To me, the handshake and introduction when I'm paired up generally tells me all I need to know about a person.  

I will say that the one thing that bothers me is someone wearing expensive stuff but all sloppy..... wrinkled pants/shirt, etc.

Edited by highergr0und, 07 May 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#17 SpinMill75

SpinMill75

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66455
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

I think the biggest problem is that we have been so dumbed down as a society that everyone thinks its ok to wear whatever, whenever, anywhere they go.  Not to sound judgemental, but not too long ago people used to dress up to go out to a nice dinner, to church, to a wedding or funeral, to the horse racing track, "formal" dinner on the cruiseship, parties, etc.  

I guess the question I'm asking is - Whats wrong with looking nice?  

Clothes don't make the man, but they sure do add a measure of respect and dignity to the occasion.....

Just my 2 cents, spin

#18 RooneyTunes

RooneyTunes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132894
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostSpinMill75, on 07 May 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

I think the biggest problem is that we have been so dumbed down as a society that everyone thinks its ok to wear whatever, whenever, anywhere they go.  Not to sound judgemental, but not too long ago people used to dress up to go out to a nice dinner, to church, to a wedding or funeral, to the horse racing track, "formal" dinner on the cruiseship, parties, etc.  

Clothes don't make the man, but they sure do add a measure of respect and dignity to the occasion.....

Just my 2 cents, spin

Completely agree. I think it's more of a self respect thing. I take pride in keeping myself groomed and looking good, it's far too easy, and common, for people to just toss on a t shirt and go. Which I do for just bumming around or running errands, but when it's an event...come on!

#19 HackerDav31

HackerDav31

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114952
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

Designer labels don't mean a thing, but as long as one abides by the rules, and the general etiquette of the game so be it... polos, and pants, or non-denim shorts... perfectly fine.  I wouldn't wear a pair of jeans to play tennis in, not really sure why people would do the same on the golf course.  Like someone above mentioned, you can buy "performance" textiles in polos or pants pretty inexpensively at any store these days. Wear what works, be comfortable, and most importantly be respectful of the game!

#20 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glenmorangie 18yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 926

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

View PostSpinMill75, on 07 May 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Just my 2 cents, spin

+1

In CA ... it's so "dumbed down"... many look like sad idiots.  Sorry, but I am judgmental, or better yet, call a spade a spade. :)

Edited by Pepperturbo, 08 May 2012 - 03:50 PM.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 inthefairway

inthefairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90812
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

I like to look sharp on the course and color match things.  I see so many that do not care what they wear.  Our society seems to have gone to hell when it comes to dressing nice on or off the course!!!!!:bad:

#22 2ball

2ball

LEFTY

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15610
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

You are missing a category just below the latest and greatest. Stylish, in fashion and coordinates. It's a step above polos and khakis.
I tend to buy my clothes at a discount which usually means they have been out for a year or two. Not out of style but not the latest and greatest. I have to dress nice for work so that tends to spill over into other parts of my life.

#23 Greyboy

Greyboy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87688
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

I don't like the poll options.

I don't need to be in the "latest" and greatest, however I do like high quality stuff that goes together.  It could be last seasons or whatever, but it needs to be good material, fit perfect, and go together.

As far as my playing partners, I'd prefer that they took their clothes/gear seriously (because I do and why not share another interest with them) but I don't mind if they don't... just as long as they are good company.  If they are "stylish" that's just a plus.

#24 CCUgolfer23

CCUgolfer23

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185402
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

i like to look good, and even though i may not play good on a specific day i will for sure look good, i hardly ever buy the latest and greatest things unless they just catch my eye and have to have them. Most of the time i will go and buy the 30% and 50% stuff thats a year or two old but is still good. I try to match and have plenty of cheap belts i bought on ebay to match majority of my style. I dont really mind what others are wearing aslong as they dont look trashy, i really dont care how good your game is but if you go to the course in a tshirt and jeans it just looks like you dont respect the game or care.
Titleist 910 d3 oban devotion 6 04 flex
Titleist 910 15* motore speeder vc 7.1
Titleist 910 19* pink bimatrix xstiff
Titleist 704 5 iron/6-pw 670 mb KBS tour
Ping gorge 51, tour s 55/59
Scotty cameron Red X
WITB Link

#25 jrharden

jrharden

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133781
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

I totally agree, the world has gone too casual. When I learned the game from my grandfather we always wore pants and a collared shirt. I still to this day, even going to the range, wear a collared shirt but opt for shorts. My shorts and shirts are not wrinkled and look nice and my shirt is always tucked in.

#26 iBanesto

iBanesto

Niclas Fasth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

The most important thing is fit.

If your clothes fit, you can't really go too wrong. Maybe!

#27 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1958

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:36 AM

As long as you respect the dress code I couldn't care less what you look like.

#28 yukihiro

yukihiro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115413
  • Handicap:15.2
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:20 AM

View PostiBanesto, on 01 July 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

The most important thing is fit.

If your clothes fit, you can't really go too wrong. Maybe!

Agreed.  Clothing brand doesn't really matter to me as long as it fits right (and looks good).

Personally, I don't care too much what my playing partners are wearing.  I dislike when people wear jeans and/or tshirts on the course, but it's fine (I guess...).

Edited by yukihiro, 21 July 2012 - 03:20 AM.

Yonex Ezone 420 9*
Adams Idea Pro a12 18*
Mizuno MP52 3-PW
Mizuno MP-T4 50* 54* 58*
Odyssey Tour Designs Black #9
WITB Link

#29 kitsoasis

kitsoasis

fried chicken

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38807
  • Ebay ID:kitsoasis
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

• There needs to be a middle ground between I have to be in the latest and greatest and I'll wear polos and slacks, but who cares what the brand is

#30 IrishLuck

IrishLuck

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192936
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

I usualy wear a black nike or callaway shirt (cheap at stores like tuesday morning), my black under armor hat, and grey shorts or khaki pants. There is a rather odd fellow in our highschool golf team who insists his short khaki shorts, rainbow suspenders, and striped fedora make him play better, but I'm just surprised he hasn't been kicked out yet.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors