Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How big of a difference does a golf ball make?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Mikey K

Mikey K

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136112
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

I play off of a 9 handicap and i just use random balls that are anywhere except for in high school matches. How much would the right golf ball actually improve my game?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Spooky67

Spooky67

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134659
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

A lot.  Just the consistency of using the same ball would help, much less getting fit for best ball for you.

#3 Jack Pearsall

Jack Pearsall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125708
GolfWRX Likes : 270

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Probably less important than I think.
Titleist 909DC 9.5*
Taylormade 300 Series 15*
Srixon ZR-UTI 18*
Srixon Z-TX 3-PW
Odyssey XG #3
Zodia 52*, 56*

#4 inthefairway

inthefairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90812
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

Mikey K, on 04 May 2012 - 08:53 PM, said:

I play off of a 9 handicap and i just use random balls that are anywhere except for in high school matches. How much would the right golf ball actually improve my game?

Well to answer your own question, you say you use random, except in high school matches.  Do you score better in your high school match?   I think it makes a difference using one ball that you feel confident with and know exactly how the ball feels, especially off the putter.

#5 AFatMonkey

AFatMonkey

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170115
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

The better you hit the ball, the more it makes a difference. Trying hitting an e6 then compare that to a penta or prov1 off the tee. Totally different feel, roll and spin. Take that same ball and try to chip now.... VERY different. Again take that same ball and put, one is a rock one is a nice soft feel.

If you don't hit the ball well, its not going to matter what ball you have. The better you hit it the more you will see a difference

Titleist 910 D3, 9.5 Kai'li A1
Titleist 910 F, 15 Kai'li A1
Titleist 910 F, 19 Kai'li A1
Titleist 712 AP1, 4-G
Odyssey ProType #9
Titleist SM4, 56.08, 60.07

#6 BTP

BTP

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126344
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

It depends, but any where from 2-4 strokes off your handicap! Your scores will be lower because you'll have more consistency and know what to expect out of your ball (i.e., less spin off the driver, controlled spin off mid-long irons, type of spin around greens, and consistent feel off the putter).
The only way you'll know for yourself is if you try and be loyal to a ball, obviously choose one that is best for you and your game. I finally found that ball for me and it has made a significant difference

'07 TM Burner TP 14.5 - Speeder757
910H 21*, 24* - Oban Revenge/Kiyoshi
Mizuno MP32 5-PW / TTDG S300, DG Spinner
Renegar 52*58* / KBS wedge
SC Studio Style Newport 1.5
WITB Link

#7 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98548
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

While it effects all aspects of golf, putting is where the biggest impact is.

Spend 10 minutes on the practice putting green with three different balls.

Spend 10 minutes on the practice putting green with three identical balls.

I suspect you will see a difference in distance control.

2/3 of the balls I try, I don't buy again simply because I don't like the way they putt.

-Dan

#8 rockinar

rockinar

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63491
GolfWRX Likes : 225

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

AFatMonkey, on 05 May 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

The better you hit the ball, the more it makes a difference. Trying hitting an e6 then compare that to a penta or prov1 off the tee. Totally different feel, roll and spin. Take that same ball and try to chip now.... VERY different. Again take that same ball and put, one is a rock one is a nice soft feel.

If you don't hit the ball well, its not going to matter what ball you have. The better you hit it the more you will see a difference

THIS.

#9 RW_Shankar

RW_Shankar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141333
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

rockinar, on 05 May 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

AFatMonkey, on 05 May 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

THIS.

Yes..This

It's important to match the ball with the type of game you're playing (or trying to play).  Personally, I'm working on contolling the ball with spin in my short game, so I'm only playing good urethane balls with similar characterisics.  Can't develop a spin-based short game with an E6.  If I was working on a pure bump-run style and only cared about distance off the tee, E6 might be perfect.   But don't mix ball types too much (distance rock vs quality spinners).   Get used to one type so you can predict the result.  When you do put the right swing on it, it matters.

#10 marte

marte

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149323
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

If I was you...know what ball you are going to be using for your matches then play at least one round before the match using the ball to be used during the match....to get a feel for how it performs.  Otherwise play whatever but try to pay attention to how different balls perform for you.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 ed27063

ed27063

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70631
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

With a 9 handcap, you should have a fairly repeatable swing.  Break you game down to see where you are loosing the most strokes.

Off the Tee, approach shots, short game around the green, or putting.  Take a look at shotbyshot.com, they charge for a "subscription", but they will break you game down to what area you are the worst at.  You get an idea of how to do it yourself if you don't want to join up.

Then find the ball that will help you get better in your weakest area.

And by all means use the same ball with your skill level.  Their is so much difference in how a ball reacts around the green where for the most folks, the most improvement can be made.

I even practice in my short game practice area with a shag bag full of PRO V1X "practice" balls only.

What ball do you play now in your high school competition?

#12 LuvToGolfGuy

LuvToGolfGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177504
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

HUGE.
Nike Covert Tour UST VTS Silver
Nike T60 4 wood TT Lite Steel shaft
Nike VR_S 20* & Sumo 23* Hybrid
Nike VR_S 5-PW Blades (PX 5.5)
Nike VR_S 52* & 56* Scratch 1820 60*
Yes! Marilyn or SC SS Newport 2.0

#13 TheBerk

TheBerk

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 169517
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

This is something I sought to answer this year, and have now  come to the conclusion that YES, balls do make a big difference.

Was playing some Bertha Diablo's (from a Walmart box) felt OK - and for some reason I like putting with rocks. But, the spin I couldn't generate with my short irons caused me to really try to find a ball to match my playstyle. Back to back well hit short irons (I have about a 100-110 SS) , dollar bill divots, hit the green and merrily continue another 20 yards made me almost scream in frustration.  

Got some Srixions Q Stars and that happens no more.

So, do what I did, drop 20 bucks to experiment. You'll be glad you did.

#14 AFatMonkey

AFatMonkey

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170115
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

^ or you can pick up a sleve for even less

Titleist 910 D3, 9.5 Kai'li A1
Titleist 910 F, 15 Kai'li A1
Titleist 910 F, 19 Kai'li A1
Titleist 712 AP1, 4-G
Odyssey ProType #9
Titleist SM4, 56.08, 60.07

#15 mozgolf

mozgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29434
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

err thats why its drop $20, buy a selection of sleeves to experiment with a few balls that sound like they might suit your game

#16 coachemup

coachemup

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20316

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

My advice to is practice with the ball that you are going to use in your tournaments.  You need to know the balls characterisitcs (trajectory, spin, etc...).

I am still a firm believer that the golf ball itself (brand, construction, cost, etc...) doesn't make that much difference in one's scoring ability. Being a golf coach, teacher, guinea pig and so forth as led me to this belief.  I have shot many great scores with golf balls that pretty much cover the entire golf ball spectrum. As long as you know the individual golf balls characterisitcs and have the ability to play a wide variety of shots, then you will be able to both improve as a golfer and shoot lower scores :)

#17 Tread

Tread

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166587
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

coachemup, on 07 May 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

My advice to is practice with the ball that you are going to use in your tournaments.  You need to know the balls characterisitcs (trajectory, spin, etc...).

I am still a firm believer that the golf ball itself (brand, construction, cost, etc...) doesn't make that much difference in one's scoring ability. Being a golf coach, teacher, guinea pig and so forth as led me to this belief.  I have shot many great scores with golf balls that pretty much cover the entire golf ball spectrum. As long as you know the individual golf balls characterisitcs and have the ability to play a wide variety of shots, then you will be able to both improve as a golfer and shoot lower scores :)

^^^ THIS

Do you have a choice in the ball you get to use for your tournaments or was it voted on by the team and everyone has to use the same ball?
Taylormade R1 w/ Fujikura MS 6.2 TS
Titliest 910 Hybrid w/ Fujikura Kamo
Mizuno 3-PW MP59 w/ TT Monaco
Mizuno MP-R12 (50, 55, 60) w/ X100
SC Golo

#18 GatorNate11

GatorNate11

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117979
  • Ebay ID:gatornate5
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

It makes a difference. I played the One Tour D for 2-1/2 years. They've been getting harder and harder to find since the 20XI line dropped, so I've been trying out ball after ball. I ended up with the Pro V1x, but honestly, my game has been off ever since I started messing with different balls. After that long with one ball, you know exactly how it feels and play off of every club, and changing just throws a wrench in everything.

#19 BMH

BMH

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29581
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Mikey K, on 04 May 2012 - 08:53 PM, said:

I normally play with mid-price balls, such as the NXT Tour, Diablo Tour, Gamer V2, etc. But every now and then I"ll treat myself to Titleist ProV1 and ProV1x. The satisfaction and feel of the high-end balls can be very evident. It's great when the ball stays on the green.

But, at the end of the day, my score doesn't change enough to really notice. I can miss putts with any ball.

#20 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,576 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 564

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

I know for a fact that I hit the ball closer to the hole when hitting pitches inside 40 yards using a premium ball.  Other than that probably not much difference either way.  BUT inside 40 yards is IMO the most important part of my game.

Titleist 910 10.5
Nike Covert 3 wood,Ping I20 5 wood
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange
Miura 53* Y grind, SM2 58.12

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138522
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

I'm not convinced it makes a huge difference...maybe switching brands midround is bad (although I do it) but there are going to be so many other variables on the golf course (temp, how damp the greens are, wind) that you will be making adjustments regardless of what ball you are playing.

I don't really notice a difference in the balls I play, though... so maybe I'm a bad person to answer this question. I'm not sure how to empirically prove whether or not playing the same ball matters.

Golf is much more art than science, and even though I may want to hit a shot that hops 3 feet and then stops, that doesn't mean I'm going to hit my shot 3 feet in front of the pin... I'm just not that precise. I think a ball that fits your game decently is good enough, and playing with a variety of balls shouldn't have too much of an impact.

I might try to play the same ball over the next few weeks to see if I can build my game around it, just to disprove myself.

#22 alexhsi

alexhsi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119652

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

For me, I can play an array of similar balls and get similar results. But, if I have a tournament coming, I will play the previous round with a tournament ball/sleeve. Off the driver I don't see that big of a difference other than feel (sure, hitting rocks vs. mush will be different, but drivers are drivers, I am trying to hit it as hard as I can). The difference is in chipping, pitching, putting. I am a BIG feel player around the green, and that is where I pick up my score. I don't hit it far, and I don't try to hit it far. But when it comes to play 7,000+ courses, my third shot and my putt is what keeps me in the game. I like my wedge to feel a certain way, react a certain way on the green, and release when I want it to while bite when I try to put swings on it. I like my putt to feel a certain way, and I hate the sound of a rock on my awesome putter. It's all mental, it's all me. I know. But if it gives me the confidence to shoot a 78 in a tournament on a 7,000+ course for a short hitter like me, I'll take it.

#23 Faux

Faux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177934
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

coachemup, on 07 May 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

This guy has it right...

Regardless of which ball you play. If one understands what each ball is designed for and realizes how they react and understands course condition variation... They can score low regardless of the ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors