Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Iron set advice for a newb

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JWells

JWells

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177370
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hey Guys, i have been around golf most of my life being from the washington dc area.  But I wouldn't say I started really playing until about a year and half ago.  The iron set I have been using in that time is my girlfriend's dads old Cobra set. Which are players irons.  I have gotten pretty decent with them but not consistent and I have been spending a lot of time looking for more forgiving irons.  As a young man I am not looking to break the bank I have kind of narrowed it down to these two sets and I was hoping I could get some feedback.

http://www.golfgalax...ewfullsite=true

http://www.golfgalax...HPCOMBO/Product

One of my worries with the Adams are reliablity. Do they last as long as other iron sets?

Also I am not the biggest guy and wouldn't consider myself a big hitter. I tend to have a more modest approach, and rely on my short game which isn't that bad. Thanks for the advice guys just an honest cry for help, not here to get patronized

Edited by JWells, 02 May 2012 - 11:56 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 orangebang

orangebang

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87548
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

you can't go wrong with either of those sets.  At this point in your game, you should know what flex shaft you should be playing.  Aside from that, there's nothing wrong with buying off the rack stuff, imo, and I've paid for fittings many times.  

I like the look of the TM Burner 2.0 better, and they've reviewed well.  Get those.

#3 Aithos

Aithos

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162959
  • Ebay ID:aithosrds
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

I've heard really good things about the burners as well, I played several weeks ago with a guy that just got some.  They aren't my preference but they are a good club.  If you do decide to order something and have the option you should do a Mizuno shaft optimizer and at least a basic length/lie fitting with someone who spends more than a couple minutes.  What shaft you play makes a huge difference in how a club performs.

#4 chiphunt

chiphunt

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147307
  • Ebay ID:chiphunt1
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

I would suggest buying a used set of Pings off the Classified ads on this site. You'll get a premium iron at a very reasonable price. No need to go out and purchase brand new irons when you don't even know exactly what you want. Pings are very forgiving, but the pros play them too. Ping I10s or G10s will do you just fine and they won't depreciate much at all. I bought my last set of irons (Ping I10s) for $275 used and I could get close to that after playing them for over a year. You buy those clubs on your link new and in a year they will depreciate quite a bit. Just my two cents. Good luck with your game!

#5 rangerat10

rangerat10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 145311
  • Ebay ID:jja882
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

You can't go wrong with either. My personal experience is I learned on Adams Tight Lies, so I may be biased. I loved them and played them for two year while I figured out what golf was. So believe me when I say they last. Plus I'm pretty sure these are gonna be a lot better than my tight lies. But you won't be disappointed by going with the Burners either. I have a friend whose plays those and he loves them.

and just for fun, here's what the Adams are CAPABLE of doing lol

:partytime2:

#6 rkangrah

rkangrah

A real Forged Hybrid baby!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107270
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

For newbie, I would consider building my self a Golsmith's Snake Eyes Python XL with any graphite shaft.   I used it for a year, compare to the other irons I have used, it's the most forgiving due to it's large face.   Cost me only $200 to build this iron set (5-PW).  

check out the Golfsmith website, the clubmaking section.

#7 motofrog

motofrog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144795
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

Check out the Adams A4-R set at Golfsmith 4 hybrid and 5-GW
Can be had for $135 delivered if you don't have to pay tax. Takes a few tries to get the coupon code to work

#8 JWells

JWells

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177370
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Ordered the Adams redline set. 300 yd 7 iron here I come! JK . But thanks for the advice guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors