Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Pro V-1 vs. Hex Chrome

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gavman07

gavman07

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57565
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Posted ImageHex Chrome    vs    Posted ImagePro-V1

Has anyone tested both of these balls?  If so, what difference did you find in:

1.  Distance (driver, irons, and wedges)
2.  Feel
3.  Spin
4.  Putting

I am currently playing the HEX Chrome because I heard it was a great ball for my swing speed (96-100 mph), but I have never really played with the Pro-V1.  Thank you for your insight.  Have a great day!

Edited by gavman07, 01 May 2012 - 03:02 PM.

D- Cally X2 Hot 10.5* Kiyoshi Purple 03
3W- Cally X Hot Kiyoshi Purple 03-Flex
3H-6H- Taylormade RBZ KBS 90's
7i-SW- Mizuno MX 200 KBS 90's
Putt- Cameron Del Mar "Peace"
56*, 60*- Vokey's  KBS 90's

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 gavman07

gavman07

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

Nobody has played both balls?  I have a swing speed of 94-98 mph.  Can I compress the Pro V-1 with the driver?

#3 smc123

smc123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174074
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

I just gave the Chrome a try last weekend and was impressed.  My swing speed is a bit higher than yours (105-108) and normally play the V1x.   Hard to say how much was ball performance and how much was being square at impact, but I seemed to have less pronounced side spin off the driver (tighter draw and only a slight fade when I got stuck) and was finding fairways all day.  I always drive the ball better with a lower spin ball, but have been reluctant to sacrifice the control around the greens.  This may be the ball that gives me both.  Full iron shots were dropping and stopping and wedges were spinning back a little - very similar to the V1x.  Putting felt good and I didn't notice any real distance gain/loss through the bag.
You should pick up a sleeve and give them a try.

#4 Poser

Poser

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144057
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

I also played the chrome last weekend and was impressed.  The ball went far off miss hits and seemed to cut through the wind nicely.  The cover though isn't the greatest but, I've never seen a callaway cover that is.  After a couple wedge shots you could see some nicks in the cover

#5 gavman07

gavman07

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

I haven't really heard anyone with a complaint about the new Hex Chrome.  At this price point the chrome will be a very popular ball.  I have never really given the pro v1 a chance due to the price, but several of my playing partners say I missing out.  I currently play the Hex Chrome and it has been working just fine.  Like others have said it spins enough around the greens and is a fairly low spin off the driver.  I also drive the ball better with a low spin ball, but simply cannot sacrifice it around the greens (I absolutely hated the NXT Tour).   I was wondering if anyone prefers the Pro V1 over the chrome and, if so, why?  Does the Pro V1 perform any better on any aspect of the game?  

I'm going to give the Pro V1's a try tonight or tomorrow and see how they compare to the chrome, but if they don't perform better in at least one aspect of the game (driver, spin, putting) I can't see why anyone would pay a premium to play the ball.  I know everyone is different when it comes to golf, but I can't find any store near me that offers a ball fitting so I wanted to see if any of the Golfwrxers could help.  

Thanks for the responses so far.  It sounds like the chrome is winning the debate thus far.

#6 qtlaw

qtlaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32882
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

I've played the Pro V1 in its various iterations throughout the years and its definitely the benchmark.  My only complaint through the years is the ultra high price.  My SS is kinda low, probably 90-95, yet I've always had more success with the V1x than the V1.  I've always searched for another ball because I wanted something different than everyone else and could find better bargains with others.  I gamed the i(z) last year along with the Pentas and am going to give the Hex Chrome a run now (ebay had a great deal) although the Hex Black is more like the i(z).  I've found the alternative balls to be just as responsive as the Prov V1 with no dramatic differences.

#7 stevopagolf

stevopagolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4153
  • Ebay ID:stevopagolf
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

I have tried about every ball out there.  100 MPH or less which is where I am at I like the 2012  Srixon SL, Bridgestone RXS and Hex Chrome better than the Pro V1.  The Pro V1 spins more, the others fly straighter (lower spin) and for me better distance....Chrome and Bridgestone longest.  Both Chrome and Bridgestone good wind balls, Bridgestone feels slightly softer.  Srixon SL feels softest.  All three putt well.

Toss up on Bridgestone RXS and Hex Chrome both great balls, Hex Chrome cheaper.

#8 gavman07

gavman07

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

Thanks to everyone for the input.  I must say I am surprised to see that the Hex Chrome has been the unanimous favorite over the Pro V1 (with all things considered).   I am currently playing the chrome and have no real complaints, but like most of the members I am always looking for the next best thing.  Thanks again for the imput.

#9 mattsam

mattsam

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

Which is more spin Hex Black or Hex Chrome?
SLDR 12 430 with DI6 Stiff
SLDR 3HL DI 85 stiff
3 tour satin Cb3
4-pw adams a4 forged tour issue
Gw adams cb3 satin tour
Miura and Bettinardi

#10 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50361
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

View Postmattsam, on 02 May 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

Which is more spin Hex Black or Hex Chrome?

Chrome slightly higher off the driver (200-300 rpm)

Black much higher on approach shots and around the greens

Cobra Bio Cell+ 8.5º ~ AD DI
TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 15º • 19º ~ AD GT
Adams Pro 20º ~ Tour Red ATX
Nike VR_S Forged 5–PW ~ SteelFiber
Scratch 51º • 57º • 63º ~ SteelFiber
Cameron CT Del Mar Buttonback (A026140)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Rbert831

Rbert831

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91888
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

Hex Chrome really good ball for the price point can't go wrong with this ball.

#12 gavman07

gavman07

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

After 2 rounds with the Pro V1 I have found my iron game and putting is far getter with the Pro V1 over the Hex Chrome.  Obviously I may just have played better, but I seem to hit better "quality" shots with the Pro V1.  It seems to go where I want it to go if hit well.  I feel that it looses more distance on a mad shot than the Hex Chrome.  I do think the Pro V1 is shorter off the driver for me, but not too much (maybe 5-7 yards).  Overall I have scored better with the Pro V1 than the chrome.  I will still be giving both a chance, but right now, for me, the Pro V1 is a better overall ball for my game.

Driver - Hex Chrome
Iron- Pro V1
Sping- Pro V1
Putting Pro V1
Forgivness- Hex Chrome

You really can't go wrong with either ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors