Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping i20s vs. Mizuno JPX-800 Pros

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Long and to the Left

Long and to the Left

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176412
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

In my evolving quest to replace my entire bag, I bit the $99 bullet on a GolfTec fitting today. I hit balls at another local golf store, and the simulator had my 6 iron going 220+. I just didn't trust that...and I was right. 6 iron today was going 190-200.

The fitting at GolfTec was very helpful and I think they really zeroed in on a great set of irons for me. Here are the specs:

-Mizuno JPX-800 Pro
-Project X 6.0 Rifle ( I thought this was odd given my SS, but apparenlty my tempo/transition/release indicates somewhere between S and X)
-6 iron lie - 64*

The problem is that they do not carry Ping products. The i20 was previously my frontrunner after hitting them at a recent demo day. I also love the idea of the extra bounce since my typical miss is a fat shot.

Can anyone help me compare these two irons? I'm a higher handicap player (probably average 90ish, but short game is my downfall) with a high SS. I'd probably go ahead and buy the Mizzys if it weren't for all of the good stuff I've read about the i20s turf interaction. Not to mention there is a seller on the bay who will provide a custom set from Mizuno for nearly $250 under the quote I received today.

Also, thoughts on the shaft suggestion, maybe with a specific mention of rifled vs. the alternative? How would this compare to a Ping CFS?

Thanks in advance for any help. Driver fitting is tomorrow...so I'm sure I'll have more questions then. :)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Long and to the Left

Long and to the Left

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Some quick research shows the bounce in the i20 6i is 7* vs. 2* in the JPX-Pro.

Also, standard 6i lie in the JPXs is 61*. 64* (3* flat or upright?) seems like a big adjustment for an average sized guy (6-0, 35 in wrist to floor w/ shoes on).

#3 knickerbocker

knickerbocker

Pipe Dreamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118635
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

Ping and most OEMs generally have standard lie angles more upright compared to Mizunos by 2 or 3 degrees, so not surprising.  Clubs fall into the same category.  Go to a place that sells both and hit them both on the LM.  Otherwise, you are just guessing.
SLDR TP 10.5 with Oban Devo 6
Callaway Xhot Pro 15 and 19
Ping i25 with C-Taper S 3-W
Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58
Bettinardi Sig Series 5

#4 Long and to the Left

Long and to the Left

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

View Postknickerbocker, on 30 April 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

Ping and most OEMs generally have standard lie angles more upright compared to Mizunos by 2 or 3 degrees, so not surprising.  Clubs fall into the same category.  Go to a place that sells both and hit them both on the LM.  Otherwise, you are just guessing.

Thanks knickerbocker. Ping's 6i is a hair different at 61.5.

The problem is the other local option has the jacked up monitor. There is an Edwin Watts but their stuff didn't seem as accurate as GolfTec either.

The MAIN thing though, is the turf interaction. Is there any way to hit clubs on a range before purchase?

#5 knickerbocker

knickerbocker

Pipe Dreamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

If you go to Ping.com, you can find a shop that has a fitting cart near you that would have the options you want to hit.  Sounds like you need yellow dott in Ping which is 1.5 degrees upright.  You can demo he clubs for free.  If anything, I would guess the

Did you do the Mizunos shaft optimizer?  I have always found that recommends a more stiff shaft than what people are used to.  I have always played DGS300 and it recommended KBS x stiff soft stepped because I was averaging 88 SS on that, but only 86 on the LM.  Pings are going to be more friendly for a digger that is for sure.  The i20s I find launch the ball very high - too high for me.  That is why I suggest the same LM for both.  I find that some people love the CFS shaft because it is low spin, but others find it to be too much spin.  It is a unique shaft that doesn't work for everyone.

Edited by knickerbocker, 30 April 2012 - 07:00 PM.

Bettinardi Sig Series 5

#6 Long and to the Left

Long and to the Left

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

View Postknickerbocker, on 30 April 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

If you go to Ping.com, you can find a shop that has a fitting cart near you that would have the options you want to hit.  Sounds like you need yellow dott in Ping which is 1.5 degrees upright.  You can demo he clubs for free.  If anything, I would guess the

Did you do the Mizunos shaft optimizer?  I have always found that recommends a more stiff shaft than what people are used to.  I have always played DGS300 and it recommended KBS x stiff soft stepped because I was averaging 88 SS on that, but only 86 on the LM.  Pings are going to be more friendly for a digger that is for sure.  The i20s I find launch the ball very high - too high for me.  That is why I suggest the same LM for both.  I find that some people love the CFS shaft because it is low spin, but others find it to be too much spin.  It is a unique shaft that doesn't work for everyone.

Yes, I did use the Mizuno shaft optimizer. I was 92-93 SS, 5 tempo, 4 toe down, 5 kick angle and 9 release factor (release was really high, fitter was a 2 by comparison).

Recommended shafts were Dynalite Gold XP X-100 (soft stepped), Project X 6.0, and KBS X (soft stepped).

My best option is probably EW. Their monitor is at least better than ProGolf's. I think both have the fitting cart.

#7 knickerbocker

knickerbocker

Pipe Dreamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

With that SS and 6 iron distance, a 6.0 shaft makes sense. Good luck.  Make sure to go to a range with grass if turf interaction is the critical deciding factor,
Bettinardi Sig Series 5

#8 sCrod3s

sCrod3s

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140897
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostLong and to the Left, on 30 April 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

Yes, I did use the Mizuno shaft optimizer. I was 92-93 SS, 5 tempo, 4 toe down, 5 kick angle and 9 release factor (release was really high, fitter was a 2 by comparison).

Recommended shafts were Dynalite Gold XP X-100 (soft stepped), Project X 6.0, and KBS X (soft stepped).

My best option is probably EW. Their monitor is at least better than ProGolf's. I think both have the fitting cart.

I had almost the exact same specs on the shaft optimizer. Had the same shaft recommendations and went with kbs x soft stepped. Couldn't be happier. Very tight dispersion and still nice high penetrating flight. Highly recommended, I went with the 53s as a note.

#9 feedlotdoc

feedlotdoc

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86388
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

I have the same specs as you and the shaft optimizer told me the same shafts.  Unfortunately, I purchased my 300's before the shop had the fitting cart so I just got the stock shafts.  While I haven't hit the I20's, my 300's dig deep when I fat one.  I have now rambled enough.....probably didn't help much though.

#10 Long and to the Left

Long and to the Left

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostsCrod3s, on 30 April 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

View PostLong and to the Left, on 30 April 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

I had almost the exact same specs on the shaft optimizer. Had the same shaft recommendations and went with kbs x soft stepped. Couldn't be happier. Very tight dispersion and still nice high penetrating flight. Highly recommended, I went with the 53s as a note.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info and for the reassurance that the shaft recommendations were correct.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Long and to the Left

Long and to the Left

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

View Postfeedlotdoc, on 30 April 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

I have the same specs as you and the shaft optimizer told me the same shafts.  Unfortunately, I purchased my 300's before the shop had the fitting cart so I just got the stock shafts.  While I haven't hit the I20's, my 300's dig deep when I fat one.  I have now rambled enough.....probably didn't help much though.

This is what I'm worried about...diggin deep. I guess the correct solution is to suck less and not duff the ball though :)

#12 Long and to the Left

Long and to the Left

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

View Postknickerbocker, on 30 April 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

With that SS and 6 iron distance, a 6.0 shaft makes sense. Good luck.  Make sure to go to a range with grass if turf interaction is the critical deciding factor,

Glad that makes sense...I just assumed I'd be a X flex.

Is there a typical way to get a fitter/golf shop to let you hit balls outdoors? No shops have ranges around here, so borrowing a club is all I can think of.

#13 knickerbocker

knickerbocker

Pipe Dreamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostLong and to the Left, on 01 May 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

View Postknickerbocker, on 30 April 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

Glad that makes sense...I just assumed I'd be a X flex.

Is there a typical way to get a fitter/golf shop to let you hit balls outdoors? No shops have ranges around here, so borrowing a club is all I can think of.

Are there any courses with driving ranges that have pro shops?  If not, hit them on the LM and if both work and you are concerned about digging - go with the i20s.
Bettinardi Sig Series 5

#14 Tom S

Tom S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142815

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

I've played Ping irons for 20 years until last year.  I bought the JPX Pros with XP shaft and never looked back.  The feel is so much better and seems to "make" you a better ball striker because you can feel mishits and can learn from them.  I'm not saying that mishits penalize you though  - both brands are forgiving.  I play at a club with tight fairways and the bounce on the JPX's feels perfect - not too much digging or bouncing., just perfect.  I hit the ball high and long with this shaft and perfect for small hard greens.  Go with the JPX and you will not be disappointed.

P.S.  The Ping clubs will last forever as they are cast.  I can tell you that the JXP's will need to be replaced down the raod as the forged does wear.

#15 Long and to the Left

Long and to the Left

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

View PostTom S, on 01 May 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

I've played Ping irons for 20 years until last year.  I bought the JPX Pros with XP shaft and never looked back.  The feel is so much better and seems to "make" you a better ball striker because you can feel mishits and can learn from them.  I'm not saying that mishits penalize you though  - both brands are forgiving.  I play at a club with tight fairways and the bounce on the JPX's feels perfect - not too much digging or bouncing., just perfect.  I hit the ball high and long with this shaft and perfect for small hard greens.  Go with the JPX and you will not be disappointed.

P.S.  The Ping clubs will last forever as they are cast.  I can tell you that the JXP's will need to be replaced down the raod as the forged does wear.

Glad to hear that on the bounce. That's encouraging for the JPXs.

#16 20six

20six

Advanced

• 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122378
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

The i20s kicked my JPX Pros out of the bag.  Here are the specs and comparison:

JPX: 4-GW, DG S300, + 1/2", 2* upright
i20s: 4-UW, CFS stiff, + 1/2", Yellow dot

The i20/CFS combo spins less and launches higher, wants to go straight but can be worked either way (although fades are difficult for me).  The i20s also are a half to a full club longer.  The size of the 4-6 irons in the JPX are more appealing to me than the i20, but the longer irons in the i20 are easier to hit.  They do fly pretty high, though, compared to the JPX.  From the 7 iron down, the i20s are deadly accurate and very consistent in both distance and dispersion.  Especially the wedges; those are surgical instruments.  As for turf interaction, I did take deeper divots with the JPX; divots with the i20s are the classic "dollar bill."  I have not found any problems off tight lies or hard fairways with the i20.  What won me over on the i20s is that they go where I want them to more often than anything else I have tried.  The JPX 800 Pros are great clubs but, for me, the i20s are better.

#17 Long and to the Left

Long and to the Left

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

View Post20six, on 01 May 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

The i20s kicked my JPX Pros out of the bag.  Here are the specs and comparison:

JPX: 4-GW, DG S300, + 1/2", 2* upright
i20s: 4-UW, CFS stiff, + 1/2", Yellow dot

The i20/CFS combo spins less and launches higher, wants to go straight but can be worked either way (although fades are difficult for me).  The i20s also are a half to a full club longer.  The size of the 4-6 irons in the JPX are more appealing to me than the i20, but the longer irons in the i20 are easier to hit.  They do fly pretty high, though, compared to the JPX.  From the 7 iron down, the i20s are deadly accurate and very consistent in both distance and dispersion.  Especially the wedges; those are surgical instruments.  As for turf interaction, I did take deeper divots with the JPX; divots with the i20s are the classic "dollar bill."  I have not found any problems off tight lies or hard fairways with the i20.  What won me over on the i20s is that they go where I want them to more often than anything else I have tried.  The JPX 800 Pros are great clubs but, for me, the i20s are better.

Great info, thanks so much. What handicap are you? Also, which did you find more forgiving? Did the JPXs want to move more? Mine had a noticeable draw during simulation.

#18 20six

20six

Advanced

• 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122378

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

View PostLong and to the Left, on 01 May 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

Great info, thanks so much. What handicap are you? Also, which did you find more forgiving? Did the JPXs want to move more? Mine had a noticeable draw during simulation.

I am a 10 and trending downward since I got the i20s. Not much difference in forgiveness in the mid and short irons, but the i20 4 and 5 irons are more forgiving than the JPX.  My natural ballflight is a draw, and the i20s want to go straight.  They still bend a little to the left, but not very much.  The wedges shoot straight darts.

#19 Long and to the Left

Long and to the Left

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

View Post20six, on 01 May 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

View PostLong and to the Left, on 01 May 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

I am a 10 and trending downward since I got the i20s. Not much difference in forgiveness in the mid and short irons, but the i20 4 and 5 irons are more forgiving than the JPX.  My natural ballflight is a draw, and the i20s want to go straight.  They still bend a little to the left, but not very much.  The wedges shoot straight darts.

This is great, thanks again. My natural ball flight is a draw as well and the JPXs were drawing fairly significantly on the LM. The i20s might help that.

I don't have a handicap, but I would guess my iron play is similar to that of a 15.

#20 RA_FT

RA_FT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71346
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

I have a set of mp 53's and the leading edge tends to dig in if you have a very steep swing. I switch to the I20's and between the added forgiveness and wider soles I am very happy with the Pings.Posted Image

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Long and to the Left

Long and to the Left

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

View PostRA_FT, on 01 May 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

I have a set of mp 53's and the leading edge tends to dig in if you have a very steep swing. I switch to the I20's and between the added forgiveness and wider soles I am very happy with the Pings.Posted Image

Thanks for chiming in. I did have an issue with turf interaction when I hit the 53s at a recent demo. They did feel sweet when I hit one pure though... Wish I had hit the JPX Pros then as well.

So far we have a few happy converts to the i20s. Looks like another fitting session at EW specifically between these 2 sets is in order.

Side Note: Driver fitting was yesterday and I was disappointed. They didn't have any X shafts and limited head options at GolfTec. Learned very little that I did not already know.

#22 TCMP

TCMP

Disguised

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34660
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

View PostLong and to the Left, on 02 May 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

View PostRA_FT, on 01 May 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

I have a set of mp 53's and the leading edge tends to dig in if you have a very steep swing. I switch to the I20's and between the added forgiveness and wider soles I am very happy with the Pings. :rolleyes:

Thanks for chiming in. I did have an issue with turf interaction when I hit the 53s at a recent demo. They did feel sweet when I hit one pure though... Wish I had hit the JPX Pros then as well.

So far we have a few happy converts to the i20s. Looks like another fitting session at EW specifically between these 2 sets is in order.

Side Note: Driver fitting was yesterday and I was disappointed. They didn't have any X shafts and limited head options at GolfTec. Learned very little that I did not already know.

Not sure if you purchased your new irons yet or not, but I wanted to comment on your fitting specs. A release factor of 9 is a VERY EARLY release. Contrary to the other fitting measurements, the lower the number on release factor, the later the release. Now, with a very early release, you do not want an overly stiff shaft. Especially in the tip section. I too am an early releaser of the club and have nearly identical specs to your Mizuno shaft optimizer numbers. The PX 6.0, KBS X-Stiff, and DG X-100 softstepped were way too stiff for my swing.

Believe it or not, what I saw the best ball flight and control with was the Dynalite XP S300 and the PX 5.0 steel. The DG R300 shafts were pretty good, but would need to be hardstepped. The KBS 6.0 stiff felt great but flew too high for me.

#23 Badger_Golfer

Badger_Golfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190300
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

Mizuno because theyre forged.  Forged always wins out over cast.

#24 tomg1969

tomg1969

Major Winner

• 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37110

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

I have MP53's and i20's. Swing stats are similar ( a couple mph slower) to yours. Both are great irons, and you won't lose with either one. I will tell you that when I bought the mp53's that I also tried the 800 pro's and did not get along with them. If you decide to go Mizuno I would highly recommend taking another look at the 53's over the 800 Pro's. The difference in forgiveness between the two not worth worrying about....very close IMO.
The i20's have more bounce, but like any iron they can also dig if you get too steep. The sole design on the MP53 makes up for some of the lack of bounce in my opinion.

#25 Ping Me

Ping Me

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182606
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

If your looking for a little Forgiveness i would say the i20. From evreone that I've heard from, going from blades to i20s is a trade offof a few yards to a more forgiving impact.

Edited by Ping Me, 06 July 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#26 topr

topr

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124780
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

Demoed both last weekend at a Mizuno demo day...liked it's already been stated both are nice sticks and for me it came down to turf interaction and which club I liked best at address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors