Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What kind of golf courses do you like?

34 replies to this topic

#1 rkangrah

rkangrah

What are you looking for???!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107270
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

What kind of golf courses do you like the most ?   There a few kinds:
- Golf courses with a lot of woods on the sides.   There aren't many water hazard and bunkers on this kind of golf courses.   The hardest hole is dogleg holes.  
- Golf courses with lots of water hazards.   Ponds everywhere.   There are water on the side of the fairways.  Island green.  
- Golf Courses on the side of the ocean.  Pebble beach courses alike.  
- Golf courses on the mountains.   There are so many uneven lies on the fairway.   The green can be higher than the fairway.  
- Other kind.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 eric_b

eric_b

I will NOT tuck in my shirt!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150423
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'm a fan of courses with a variety of holes.....i can't stand courses where every par 4 is straight or roughly the same length.....or where every par 5 is short or stupid long.....or every hole is a dog leg left....etc etc etc....

Give me a course that shows some thought has been put in it.....dog legs either way....short par 4s where i can score and long par 4s where i gotta buckle down and get it done....some holes where it's tight and no room to bail some where you swing away.....par 5s you can reach and some where you stand on the tee and go "well this is gonna be a long hole".....long story longer, i like courses where i can differentiate between the holes and have fun in different ways throughout my round....

A decent price doesn't hurt either.....:tongue:

#3 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138522
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

My preference are well designed, well maintained courses that are free to play but still empty...

I joke... although I did get to live that dream once... my dad's company had a membership at Crown Colony in Lufkin, Texas... I played out there one hot summer day in 3 hours and didn't see anyone else (and my dad paid the bill)

Really, I like courses that use the natural terrain well, and are challenging but fair...

#4 tElihu

tElihu

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87680
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

Any type as long as it's well manicured and where the architect spent a good deal of time on the design of the green and approach shot. Bunkers are well taken care of, natural and are strategically placed.  I like courses where it's clear the the architect thought a lot about the course. (i.e. Non-cookie-cutter).

Pinehurst #2 is a good example.

#5 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1415

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

There's no substitute for ocean views on as many holes as you can get. It's just beautiful. So set that aside, a course either has ocean views or it don't.

Otherwise, I like interesting greens complexes (not just the putting surface shape and contours but the surroundings within 10-20 yards of the greens) and I like bold, naturalistic shaping of the tee-to-green portions of the course. Ideally, I like relatively few trees or if there are trees I like openings where you can appreciate the interesting shaping of additional holes to the one you're playing at the moment.

But the #1 thing I like is a course that drains well. Let me walk on firm, dry turf from which I can hit crisp iron and wedge shots and I'm happy pretty much no matter what kind of course it is otherwise.

#6 ShankOnYourFace

ShankOnYourFace

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67948
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

tree lined and narrow.  keep the ball in the fairway and you get rewarded. miss left or right and you got to get creative to score.  never been a fan of having a ton of water present, I haven't played too many courses with a lot of water.  but nothing matches those ocean/body of water views you can get while on the course.

#7 Jimmy D

Jimmy D

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170085
  • Handicap:11.5
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

Dry ones,

By that I mean its been like raining in the UK for the last two weeks so my course is flooded.

They have just anounced tommorows comp is now no buggies or electric trollys & is no longer a qualifier.

:crazy:

#8 rkangrah

rkangrah

What are you looking for???!!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107270
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

View PostMyherobobhope, on 27 April 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

My preference are well designed, well maintained courses that are free to play but still empty...

I joke... although I did get to live that dream once... my dad's company had a membership at Crown Colony in Lufkin, Texas... I played out there one hot summer day in 3 hours and didn't see anyone else (and my dad paid the bill)

Really, I like courses that use the natural terrain well, and are challenging but fair...

"free to play but still empty"   THIS.   I actually paid only $10 to play in a Tournament.  Although it's NOT empty but the place is not packed either.   Only 40 people participated in the Tournament to play in the whole course until noon.   Plus there is a free lunch after the round.   Sounds sweet isn't it???

Edited by rkangrah, 27 April 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#9 QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN

Dreaming of Bandon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57534
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Links courses.  I could play Bandon Dunes or Chambers Bay all day/week/year/life.  I'm dreaming about going to Ireland this August.

#10 xabia

xabia

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103682
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 232

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

I love wooded courses, with elevation changes.

I enjoy FL courses, or courses in wetland areas, with a lot of forced carries and decisions to make based on hazards

I HATE HATE HATE HATE houses on courses that are reasonably in play.. in fact only in the last year have I even been able to get over it and play on courses with houses, for some reason the thought of hitting a house is crippling to my golf swing

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
2016 TI 9.5 M2 Tensei White / AD-DI 6s
Tour Issue M2 3HL Speeder Evo II 757X / M1 15* AD-DI 7s / M2 3HL Matrix Prototype
Mizuno H5 3 iron AD-DI 85s
Anser 20* oban kiyoshi white
714 AP2 4iron Modus 105 5-P Modus 120S
Scratch 53 / Vokey SM6 Raw 56* / SM6 60V Raw
Spider JDay Limited 33" / Odyssey Jalibird Mini 33"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 youngstructural

youngstructural

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113912
  • Handicap:10.5
  • Ebay ID:youngstructural
GolfWRX Likes : 408

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

Northern Michigan golf courses in September.  TALL tree lined fairways on both side, clearly trees planted many years ago, some in perfect rows, others obviously naturally occuring, sprinkle in some big elevation changes, and challenging greens, and I'm all in.
Callaway Rogue SZ, w/AD-TP 7x, 8.0*
Callaway Rouge SZ w/AD-DI 7x, 13.5*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid 18*
Titleist AP3 718 4-G
Bettinardi Studio 28 Arm Lock
Vokey 53*, 58*
Titleist ProV1 (2017)

#12 M910

M910

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88674
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

as long as the course is maintained and there is no waiting on the tee box I'm happy..

#13 4thand11

4thand11

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97100
GolfWRX Likes : 248

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Oceanside courses are my favorite (Pebble, Torrey Pines, etc.).  As beautiful as Augusta looks on TV, it does not compare to the Pacific ocean pounding the rocks at Pebble beach.  Links courses in Ireland, Bandon, some of the Hawaii courses - those do it for me.

#14 CowtownTexas

CowtownTexas

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15053
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

I like mostly old, traditional courses.  Dog-legs both directions, the necessity to hit almost every club in the bag during the course of the round.  I also like courses that have holes that I truly remember.  Even better if there is a story behind them.

I'm not a real big fan of most modern golf courses.  I'm played probably 25 different Fazio courses and maybe just a few less Dye/Palmer/Nicklaus courses and they all seem almost identical to me with the only difference being how much money the developer had to spend and the terrain given.  Though they design some great holes, I just find it somewhat disappointing to find that same "great" hole in Texas, South Carolina, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, and California.

That said, I mainly like courses that make you think and have a decent amount of risk/reward.  I'll give credit to the guys above that the do provide that.  And it's obvious I don't really dislike their courses or I wouldn't have played so many of them.  I just tend to prefer the old guys like Maxwell, Ross, RT Jones (not the younger), Tillinghast, Mackenzie, etc.

#15 inthefairway

inthefairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90812
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

I like a course that has several holes with elevated tees that over look a pond to a green!!!

#16 Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118737
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

I have always been a sucker for holes with elevation changes. Also I like courses with green complexes that have enough undulation to reward creativity but aren't so up and down that putting is a lottery. Not too big a fan of water on most holes, especially when it comes in to play in a lay up area on a par 5. That and a well manicured course, firm fairways, smooth greens... yep that should work.

#17 Woodridge

Woodridge

2 Putter Extraordinaire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143453
  • Handicap:11
  • Ebay ID:Hewex
GolfWRX Likes : 491

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

I grew up playing city municipal courses. They had very small greens and lots of trees. I still enjoy that type, but now prefer links style courses which allow you to play a number of different shots.
Yonex SD eZone 12*
Callaway X-Hot 18* 5w
Ping I-15 4 hybrid
XXIO9 5 hybrid
Epon AF-502 5-PW, Accra 50i Graphite
Epon 210KGX 52*, Accra 60i Graphite
Epon 210KGX 56*, Accra 60i Graphite
Epon Copper 208KGX 60*, Accra 60i Graphite
Ping Redwood ZB 33" w/Flatso 1.0 Counterweight grip

#18 Jack Pearsall

Jack Pearsall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125708
GolfWRX Likes : 1007

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

I like courses I can walk without having to traverse great distances to the next tee. I like courses that don't have a lot of ambient noises, like traffic, construction, leaf blowers, horns, etc...just the wind or birds, quiet and serene. I like courses that don't always look to punish, but offer an option besides hitting a perfect shot. Consistent speed on the greens. Bunkers that have proper sand, not rocks. Lastly, I hate slanted tee boxes. You'd be surprised how often I find tee boxes that have a decided tilt. Slow play is also the other issue, but that's the starters not the course.
Macgregor PCB Tours...the leopard of irons.

TM SLDR TP 430 10*
TM 300 Series 15*
Titleist 909h 17*
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21*
Macgregor PCB Tour 4-PW
Mizuno MP R 52* 56*
Odyssey White Hot #6

#19 MichiganMike

MichiganMike

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122909
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

There are many features of courses I like, but one that always stands out when a play a course with it.  I like tree lined courses, that are not woods lined.  Being able to find your ball and have a shot (even if it's a punch out) is a big plus for me over a needle in the haystack woods search.  I really like and appreciate course where the underbrush is all cleared.

#20 tx_basser

tx_basser

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162663
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

I like all kinds of courses, but prefer Links style due to the number of shots, usually windy, decent bunkering but not too much.  Instead of lakes or ponds, I like a creek that runs throughout the course.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Jeembo

Jeembo

People in glass houses sink ships

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136575
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

Ocean views are awesome but putting is ungodly frustrating.

I like a course that has variety and interesting elements but stays away from gimmicks.  I like a course where I can see where my tee shot goes.  I like a course with well-manicured rough, bunkers, teeboxes, and fairways to go along with well-manicured greens.  I like a course that lets me hit a driver off of every tee but punishes me if I hit it astray.

I don't like a course that requires me to hit a 5iron from the tee on a par 5.  I don't like a course that forces me to hit a draw and then run a hundred yards to the right of the teebox to see where it landed.  I don't like a course where the fairways are 50% weeds and the rough is 50% bare dirt.

As far as general layouts?  I'm a big fan of the faux-links courses.  The kind that's littered with strategically-placed bunkers, but also isn't short on water or trees.  I tend to shoot stupid-high at them, but they're easily the most fun for me.

#22 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 6542

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostRanger Rick, on 27 April 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

I have always been a sucker for holes with elevation changes. Also I like courses with green complexes that have enough undulation to reward creativity but aren't so up and down that putting is a lottery. Not too big a fan of water on most holes, especially when it comes in to play in a lay up area on a par 5. That and a well manicured course, firm fairways, smooth greens... yep that should work.

Thats what I like too. Plus I really like it when the trees are trimmed high enough that you can get under them to at least advance your ball. I hate trying to wedge yourself into a low hanging pine tree so you can punch your ball back into play.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#23 crapula

crapula

Golf!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114016
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 245

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Courses with a ton of elevation change and yardages marked poorly, not fun playing those for the first time.

Also, courses where I don't know where the next tee box is, so many courses need signs.
Adams Fast 12 LS 8.5
Adams Super LS 3w 14.5
19* Srixon Z965
3-PW Srixon Z965. Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X
Cleveland RTX-3 52, 58. DG Tour Issue Black Onyx X
Cleveland Elevado
Srixon Yellow ZStar XV

#24 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
GolfWRX Likes : 1806

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostMichiganMike, on 27 April 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

There are many features of courses I like, but one that always stands out when a play a course with it.  I like tree lined courses, that are not woods lined.  Being able to find your ball and have a shot (even if it's a punch out) is a big plus for me over a needle in the haystack woods search.  I really like and appreciate course where the underbrush is all cleared.

Agree with this. Also surprised no one mentioned super long par 3's. One over 210 is ok, but mix in a wedge par 3 over water or something.

#25 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 29,478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 16667

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

I like courses with lots of tee boxes so everyone can enjoy them.

Callaway GBB Epic
Callaway GBB Epic 4/7/9
Callaway Steelhead XR 5
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54/58
Callaway "O" Works #7

#26 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 1782

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

View Postrkangrah, on 27 April 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

- Golf courses with a lot of woods on the sides.  
- Golf courses with lots of water hazards.
- Golf Courses on the side of the ocean.  
- Golf courses on the mountains.  
- Other kind.

The "kind" of golf course I like is more dependent on the design and little to do with its location.

I like courses with the following features:
- Offer a variety of hole configurations that sequence themselves in a manner that is not repetitive and encourages the use of different types of shots.  (varied lengths, elevation changes, shapes, wind direction, etc)
- Blends into the surrounding and makes use of the natural terrain and features of the site.  
- Designs that invoke thought and allow options and alternatives for playing the hole.  Hazards that are strategic in nature rather than purely penal.  Challenging for the good golfer but playable for those with average skills.
- Firm and fast conditioning that allow the ball to bounce and use the ground to direct the ball toward the hole.
- A core routing is preferred that is walking friendly.

I dislike courses that are:
- Repetitive in nature, lots of holes with similar configurations or lengths where one hits the same shots.
- Courses that seem forced onto the land with shapes mostly created by a bulldozer.
- Designs that force a singular shot or style of play.  No strategy is requried, just "hit this shot or pay the price."   "Do or Die" types of shots.   Playing corridors narrowed by trees, high rough or parallel hazards. Overuse of water.  Island greens.
- Soft, lush conditions that  that dictate a linear, point-to-point aerial game.
- Cart-ball Real estate routings where the course is surrounded by houses and OB and have long distances between greens and tees that make them difficult to walk.

The best golf courses are fun to play and make you want to walk right back to the 1st tee after you finished the 18th.

The "kind" of course I like for the most part reflects "links" values, but can be found in the parkland, prairie, lowland, mountain or oceanside setting.  All a matter of design.

#27 bwb

bwb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109909
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

View Postteejaywhy, on 27 April 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

View Postrkangrah, on 27 April 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

- Golf courses with a lot of woods on the sides.  
- Golf courses with lots of water hazards.
- Golf Courses on the side of the ocean.  
- Golf courses on the mountains.  
- Other kind.

The "kind" of golf course I like is more dependent on the design and little to do with its location.

I like courses with the following features:
- Offer a variety of hole configurations that sequence themselves in a manner that is not repetitive and encourages the use of different types of shots.  (varied lengths, elevation changes, shapes, wind direction, etc)
- Blends into the surrounding and makes use of the natural terrain and features of the site.  
- Designs that invoke thought and allow options and alternatives for playing the hole.  Hazards that are strategic in nature rather than purely penal.  Challenging for the good golfer but playable for those with average skills.
- Firm and fast conditioning that allow the ball to bounce and use the ground to direct the ball toward the hole.
- A core routing is preferred that is walking friendly.

I dislike courses that are:
- Repetitive in nature, lots of holes with similar configurations or lengths where one hits the same shots.
- Courses that seem forced onto the land with shapes mostly created by a bulldozer.
- Designs that force a singular shot or style of play.  No strategy is requried, just "hit this shot or pay the price."   "Do or Die" types of shots.   Playing corridors narrowed by trees, high rough or parallel hazards. Overuse of water.  Island greens.
- Soft, lush conditions that  that dictate a linear, point-to-point aerial game.
- Cart-ball Real estate routings where the course is surrounded by houses and OB and have long distances between greens and tees that make them difficult to walk.

The best golf courses are fun to play and make you want to walk right back to the 1st tee after you finished the 18th.

The "kind" of course I like for the most part reflects "links" values, but can be found in the parkland, prairie, lowland, mountain or oceanside setting.  All a matter of design.
What teejaywhy said.
The only thing I would add would be wind.  For me wind is an integral part of the game and the additional mental challenge the wind creates is an important element to me enjoying the round.

#28 Jack Pearsall

Jack Pearsall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125708
GolfWRX Likes : 1007

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

JP forgot to mention his absolutely favorite type of golf course - country clubs that are free to Jack Pearsall!

Hey Billy Gates (I know you read this forum) -- let's go do Augusta!!!
Macgregor PCB Tours...the leopard of irons.

TM SLDR TP 430 10*
TM 300 Series 15*
Titleist 909h 17*
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21*
Macgregor PCB Tour 4-PW
Mizuno MP R 52* 56*
Odyssey White Hot #6

#29 CaddiesFault

CaddiesFault

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152241
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

i like the links courses near water. whistling straits, the ocean course would be some premier examples, but theres many of them around. i like the rolling dunes and lack of trees.

courses that are cut through dense forest so it feels like your the only ones out there are cool too

#30 BENNYSUPREME

BENNYSUPREME

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37544
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

I like courses that have lots of water.  It could be lakes or ocean.   If I had to pick one or the other it would be ocean courses for the views.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors