Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

US Kids Golf Club Review

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hrocks

Hrocks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7101
  • Ebay ID:Originalhrocks
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:35 PM

Wanting to start my little guy off right, I did much research on kids clubs.  This primarily consisted of digging up as much info as I could find on the internet, and stopping at every golf retailer and sporting goods store in Ohio.  I came to the conclusion that for the very first real club I was going to put into my four year old's hands would be a USKG 9 iron with a training grip.  

As illustrated on their website, USKG has a graduated system that is based primarily on the child's height.  The clubs are well proportioned in head size, weight and grip size.  (Wynn grips, at that)  At 5 yrs, we added a "Fairway driver", 7, 9 and putter.  Now that he's 6 years old he just "graduated" to the "Blue" clubs.  This set is comprised of 3 & 5 woods, 6, 8, PW, and putter.  (played for the first time today...a mild winter day in the Cleveland, Ohio area!)

Based on the engineering, quality and performance of both sets, I would recommend these products to any adult that will be introducing the game we all love to a child. I think that once the young player grows into a body size that can handle the weight closer to a more normal club head size there are many more options in manufacturers.  For the young end of the spectrum, it's my opinion that these clubs are hard to beat.

A bit of trivia, and an event that may lend some credibility to the above took place at the Washington Learning Center/First Tee of Cleveland in August...the Monday after the PGA, Luke Donald headlined a kids clinic in which my guy, Jake particpated.  Aside from the fact that Luke is in the world top 10, he is a terrific young man.  Before he asked my boy to hit a couple of balls, he asked him whose clubs he was playing.  Jake said "they're my US Kids Golf clubs"...Luke approved, then proceeded to give him a couple of tips and spent a good 10 minutes with him.  I'm sold.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 DBPGolf

DBPGolf

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23436
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:08 AM

yea those are the clubs i started out with from about 7 until about 11 or 12. they are great clubs and depending on how tall your son gets he can keep using them.  i played in their world championship and saw kids with drivers that came up to their necks and that just doesnt help a kids swing at that age.  i think youve really started you son a the right foot.

#3 Cameron Carter

Cameron Carter

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19812
  • Ebay ID:lisarph83

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:48 PM

I used these clubs from about age 8 to 12. As far as I remember they were great clubs and were not to heavy for me at the time.

#4 Linkster

Linkster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46499

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:11 PM

US Kids are probably some of the best out there, my son used the red, then orange and just out grew beginning of this summer. All A's and one B on the final report card prompted new clubs, He decided to switch to the Ping moxie, (included driver and hibrid) after adjusting to them, he seems to be hitting them pretty well. At 11 he averages 175 with driver and 100 with 7 iron.

#5 Hrocks

Hrocks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7101
  • Ebay ID:Originalhrocks
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:57 PM

Just an update on the latest set of USKG clubs...Jake is now on his third set, the "51-35" which are the "Tour Series".  In this series, they use the ideal height of the child and the length of the driver for sizing purposes.  The shafts are stiffer, and they have a combination (my terminology) muscle/cavity back iron design.  The metal woods and hybrids are stainless steel vs. aluminum in the beginner clubs, and the driver is beta-Ti.  His favorite club is the oil can sand wedge with U grooves and a spin milled face.  He can consistantly get enough spin on the ball (from even out of a bunker and light rough around the green) to the point that the ball takes of a couple of bounces and pretty much stops.  

Hope your kids enjoy them as much as mine does!  BTW, I sold his last set on ebay for a fair BIN price.  The buyer was so pleased, that I got a message back from the Dad asking me to call him when my guy outgrows his next set!

Edited by Hrocks, 16 December 2008 - 07:00 PM.

#6 MSPG97

MSPG97

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46633

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

My eleven soon to be twelve year old son is on his four set of USKG clubs.  He started many years ago with the red starters.  Currently he plays the green advanced clubs and they have held up very as he plays and practices 5-6 six days a week.  If your kids become this serious about the game you will want to get them into these clubs for the durability.  His previous set was the basic green with the graphite shafts.  Due to the shear number of balls he hits two of the shafts broke.  Over all USKG are a great value and the two that broke (6&8 iron) were clubs he hit the most. The one other item realy worth noting are the advance wedges,  the grooves are well cut and really help the kids stop the ball.

#7 memphishorn

memphishorn

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10524
  • Ebay ID:memphishorn
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:02 PM

This an interesting thread and since focusing on my own game and gear I had never wandered over to the Junior Board.

I have an 8 year old grandson whose golf interest is increasing. At age 7 I got him the Orange set after getting the beginner Red set at age 4.

This past week end we went to the range for the 1st time this year and when he made good contact (50% of the time) he was getting 85 yds carry off the Farway Driver and 75 yds with 6 iron. I think the US Kids are the best value for the money and particularly for small kids 5-8.

The Callaways and Pings are for kids 9-10 and up and I did not want to get Mario a set of "Snoopy Sticks".

BTW, my 2 1/2 year other grandson inherited the Red set.

I also think that having clubs they are proud of that match and look good help increase their interest at that age.

When he out grows the Orange set I will look at the Pings and Callaways but probably will get him the Green set.

Edited by memphishorn, 25 February 2010 - 10:03 PM.

Titleist 910 D2 Kali Stiff
Exotics CB2 15* YS6 Stiff
Bobby Jones H3 21* Hybrid
Titleist AP1 4-GW S300HL
Vokey Wedges 56.11 / 60.04 oil can
Scotty Cameron Newport Classic Gun Blue

#8 Skinny white

Skinny white

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98440

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:58 PM

The tour series wedges are GREAT!!!!!!!!!! 8620 spin milled faces.

#9 MyKidPlaysGolf

MyKidPlaysGolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104988

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

If I can get my 7-y-o off the gotta-have-Nike kick, I plan to get him a USKG set. Right now he has the TW Nike Black set, and he was only getting about 110 yards form the driver. We got him a green USKG Ultralite driver the other day (the only one they had at the store) and he's already hitting it 136 yards with 68 mph club speed according to the computer. It's a little long for him (shaft), but he's hitting far and straight. He has a tournament this weekend so I'm curious to see how he'll do. (His last tournament was 2 weeks ago so I can compare somewhat.) He didn't want anything but Nike before, but after seeing how far he's hitting it, he changed his tune. :)

#10 Goldenhawk

Goldenhawk

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7653
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:20 PM

My son will be playing the Tour Series 57 boxed set this season, along with a custom made Callaway Hyper X driver.  At 9 years old, he's already 56 inches tall and outgrew his last set.  You really can't beat the price and quality of a US Kids Golf set, the regular or the tour.  Also, when his fairway wood head came off the shaftearly last year, they replaced it with no questions asked.  So their customer service is also quite good.

The one question that lingers from talking with other fathers about the U.S Kids Tour Titanium driver is if it's up to the legal COR limit.  I don't know the answer to this because there are no U.S. Kids drivers listed on the USGA Conforming or Non-Conforming list.  Personally, I don't think it matters during the younger years, but it may come into play during pre-teen and early teen years.  BTW, Callaway and Cobra have their kids drivers on the Conforming list.

TM SLDR 10.5* Driver
Adams Super XTD Ti 14.5* and 18* Woods
Adams Super XTD Ti 19* Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-850 Forged, 4 to AW
Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Mizuno MP-T5 Wedges, 56*/10* and 60*/10*

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

• Guests
  •  
  • Member #:

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

Here is my thing. i have a 5yo who is 49". He is really tall and loves to play golf  now and needs a set to fit him. I know by the chart that I can go up and down where the shaded areas are. That said, with him being 5 would you go with orange?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors