Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The most unfair "bounce" you've seen on a course?

107 replies to this topic

#31 dartboss04

dartboss04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166903
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

Playing on New Year's Eve at a muni track in CT.  Par 3 over a pond.  My friend, chunked his 8 iron a bit, lucky for him, pond was frozen, bounced off the ice to 3 feet.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 cardoustie

cardoustie

-24 in a 2 man scramble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
GolfWRX Likes : 950

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

I have seen both some crazy good and bad bounces

How about hitting a sprinkler head 10 feet from the pin and watches the ball go 30 yards over the back into a farmers field and OB (during a provincial am)?

I have had two near aces hang on the lip after nudging the pin

Best bounce ever.   Our member guest, 170 yard hole over water.  Water level down.  Old guy in group in front hits a 3 wood, hits the rocks on edge of lake, straight in air and into cup for a 1.   Guys wins a BMW 6 series and he was a VP Marketing with Toyota Canada at the time.  Oddly enough, last year, one of my opponents also made a nice ace on the same hole during the same event, our member guest.  (a 1 net zero)
Ping Rapture V2 SPDR-660tr X
Rapture V2 4w 17*, 660TR Kamo X
Ping G25h 20* Fuji TS 904HB X
Ping G25h 23* Fuji TS 904HB X
Ping s55 5-PW. Aldila Tour Proto 125 X
TVD M sm2 53* & 59*,  64.07 sm2
WITB Link

#33 ben w

ben w

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106447
GolfWRX Likes : 175

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Here's the Joe Daley video. I play at a run-down muni course and have had the same thing happen a number of times. I can't even imagine a whole career hinging on it. That guy is probably holed up in his mom's house somewhere, Ray Finkle style.

Laces out:

Ping G15 9* RIP alpha 60X
Nike SQ-Dymo 15* YS7+ X
910H 19* NVH 95 S
I20 4-UW S300 & MP33 3-PW X100
33" SC Newport 2
Scratch 53* DS & 58* DD S400

#34 bwcorserat

bwcorserat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151985
  • Handicap:3.1
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Yeah, I can't imagine how Joe must have felt, cause it upset me all 4 times it happened and we're not really playing for that much. It's a crazy feeling when you see a putt go in, hear it hit the top lip of the cup and pop back out. When it's happened to me it's because the cup was set too shallow.

#35 Alpha9.5

Alpha9.5

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50651
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

Same hole twice in 1 summer. Par 3 185, I hit the hole on the fly twice and bounced in hazard 40yds right. The hole was tore up so bad both times we had to repair it. Got back in and told the pro and he had the greens keeper move the hole.

#36 tjumper78

tjumper78

Fore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123314
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

my boss was visiting a client in florida, they played a round together.
on a par 3, the client hit his shot into water, the ball hit an alligator that was moving and bounces off onto the green, then into the hole.

#37 RickG033

RickG033

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141275
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Played around with my buddy and he hit one from about 100 yards out, 30 yards over the green, through a fence, off a huge rock and bounced back onto the green.  

I was up by the green when he hit it.  Took a video afterwards to get some proof.  Will try and post later tonight.

#38 inthefairway

inthefairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90812
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

I hit a drive right down the middle and the ball hit a 150 yard stake that this course has right in the center of the fairway and the ball bounces into the woods!!!:angry2:

#39 c5driver

c5driver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97667
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

I hit the stick twice in the same round.  Each time the ball shot to the left and left me with a downhill lie in a bunker. doubled both holes.

never played that course again come to think of it

#40 Vintage1976

Vintage1976

You boys like Mexico?!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119640
  • Ebay ID:justgolfstuff
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

View Postbwcorserat, on 24 April 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Yeah, I can't imagine how Joe must have felt, cause it upset me all 4 times it happened and we're not really playing for that much. It's a crazy feeling when you see a putt go in, hear it hit the top lip of the cup and pop back out. When it's happened to me it's because the cup was set too shallow.

Had it happen twice to me. Nothing on the line but pride, still makes me sick to think of it though.

XCG5 / Fire6F4 <> L5V / PLRedAxis
VSteel / AccraHF
D100 / PXBlack
S2Forged / C-Taper
Tricept / ProWhite
SS385

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,546 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 5057

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostCARDY, on 24 April 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

I have seen both some crazy good and bad bounces

How about hitting a sprinkler head 10 feet from the pin and watches the ball go 30 yards over the back into a farmers field and OB (during a provincial am)?

I have had two near aces hang on the lip after nudging the pin

Best bounce ever.   Our member guest, 170 yard hole over water.  Water level down.  Old guy in group in front hits a 3 wood, hits the rocks on edge of lake, straight in air and into cup for a 1.   Guys wins a BMW 6 series and he was a VP Marketing with Toyota Canada at the time.  Oddly enough, last year, one of my opponents also made a nice ace on the same hole during the same event, our member guest.  (a 1 net zero)

same thing happened to me, except it was only in an interclub qualifier so no big deal. I made double bogey but had already qual'd based on previous rounds. All in all no big deal but it was a bad break
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 8.5
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 13
Callaway Xhot Pro 16 w/PXV
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#42 csiachos

csiachos

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8705
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

I hit a 6 iron from 180 into the cup, it bounced out and into the water. So instead of an ace I made a double

#43 mnplayer

mnplayer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116161
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

On saturday I had about 155 into a par 4 for my second shot, ball lands on the cup but it took a huge hop in the trees behind the green, made 5. Posted Image

#44 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,546 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 5057

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

it's interesting no one has mentioned what i still consider to be among the worst breaks in the history of golf though. And that is Jean Van De Velde at the Open. His second shot was what he was trying to do, which is hit it into the grandstand, except he hit a bar no more then 1 1/2 inches thick at most and it bounced back into the cabbage almost unplayable. The aggressive play was heavily critisized but truthfully he got a horrendous break that 999 times out of 1000 would have gone into the grandstands and he wins easily
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 8.5
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 13
Callaway Xhot Pro 16 w/PXV
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#45 bananapel

bananapel

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124637
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Today, after hitting a real shot from 90 yards I drove up to like 40-50 yards to hit a couple while the next hole cleared. One of them hit perfectly and stopped about 5 feet away. Another I hit had a little fade on it and thought you got to be kidding me what a horrible shot. It hit off the collar, took about a 70 degree turn and rolled into the hole. I was like r u sh*tting me. I hit perfect shots and can't hole them but a horrible shot like that holes out. What a joke lol.

#46 sirukuma

sirukuma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104446
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

I've witnessed a couple of funny ones.  
First was a tournament where we were all watching the final two-some tied in the lead tee off on 18.  It was a long par 4 that was also being used as the long drive hole for the tournament.  First player hits a great drive that rolls out to within inches of the long drive sign stuck in the fairway.  Second player hits an even better drive that on it's decent clangs into the aforementioned sign and ricochets dead right out of bounds - Tournament over!

Other ocurred during a regular weekend match with some long time pals.  My opponent had a loooong birdie putt and his partner was tending the pin.  He hits a once-in-a-lifetime putt that breaks three times and straightens out into a line tracking right at the hole.  His partner pulls the pin as the ball approaches but the pin sticks In the cup, and the cup lifts halfway out of the hole before the pin breaks free.  The ball then clunks off the exposed cup and deflects a couple feet away.  To make it hurt even more, my partner then drops a long birdie on top of our opponents to win the hole.  

#47 dukeman

dukeman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113909
GolfWRX Likes : 154

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

How about Andres Romero. He's leading the British Open with just two or three holes to play. He hits an iron...I think it was just a lay up on a par five....the ball hits a rock and bounces about 75 yards out of bounds! Nobody had ever seen a ball do anything like that. Now he's just another guy who almost won a major.

Honorable mention to Joe Daley. That was one of the cruelest things I've ever seen. That putt was in the center of the hole, good speed,  hits the hole liner and bounces out. Misses his card by a shot. I don't know how you get out of bed the next day.

#48 20something

20something

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15723
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

I was playing Stone Mountain Golf Club outside Atlanta. Stone Mountain is the largest exposed granite rock in the world. There is exposed granite all around the course too.

I was playing a par 3. My shot was tracking right at the flag. The ball hit the front of the green and bounced about 40 feet into the air and over the back of the green!!!

I get to the green and tap the ground with my putter. Its as hard as a rock! There must have been granite under the turf and it was like hitting the cart path. So much for my possible hole-in-one or birdie at least.

#49 archer32

archer32

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

I was on vacation several years ago and decided to show up to a local course where we were staying as a single while my wife went shopping.  I got paired with "that guy" nobody ever wants to get paired with, talking on and on about how good he was and how he "got screwed out of his chance at the pro tour".  

Anyway, the guy must be at least 15 over heading into #14 (I think).  It was a shortish par 3, maybe 145 yards with a pond from the front of the green all the way around the right side and a steep bank on the left going up to a residential street with an old dogwood tree in the middle of the top of the bank overlooking the green.  This joker hits an over the top pull hook 7 iron 40 yards left of the green, rattles around in that dogwood, falls to the ground, rolls down the bank, hits the pin and falls in.

By the time he got to the clubhouse, he had stuffed a 9 iron on the fly.

A real jackass!

#50 swbyps

swbyps

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,221 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54354
  • Ebay ID:bkammons
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Some of these stories are freaking incredible! Great stuff!  :clapping:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 larrybud

larrybud

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 787

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

A couple.  My home course, 3rd hole, playing something like 160 with 3 buddies maybe 6 years ago.  I hadn't had an ace yet.  I flew the ball into the edge of the hole.  Blows the cup edge away, hit the edge of the cup liner and bounces 25 or so feet away.... I three jacked for bogey.

Same course, my opponent in the club championship.  Last hole I'm 1 up, 400 yard sharp dogleg left.  My opponent hits the yardage plate on the left corner of the dogleg and bounces into the trees through the dogleg...  It got worse for him.  I put my ball in the middle of the fairway, about 180 out.   He hits a GREAT recovery shot that rolls off the back of the green (pin in front).   I proceed to cold top my 2nd shot, ball goes maybe 100 yards.  I then fail to hit my sand wedge far enough and I'm short of the green by 5 yards.  He hits a nice chip to about 4 feet with a chance to save par and probably win the hole.

I then chip in to win the match with a par ;-)

The look on his face I'll never forget.  It was like I ran his puppy over!

#52 lukesmurf59

lukesmurf59

Look at me, look at me... WHA-PANG!! LET'S GO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122208
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Last year I was on a par 4, not playing too well.  Well I get up to the tee and smother hook a driver about 120yds.  I yell some profanity and slam the club as I knew it was going in the water.  When I look up, I see the ball coming directly back into the middle of the fairway.  My friend says, "it bounced off the hazard stake!"  Somehow, that thing hit a 2" wide stake and flew black into the fairway where I was able to make par

Edited by lukesmurf59, 25 April 2012 - 06:47 PM.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT 60S
Titleist 913f 13.5 Diamana S+ 72 S
Callaway Razr X Tour 18 Fubuki AX 400h X
Callaway X Utility Prototype 18 PXi 6.0
Callaway TA X Prototype PX Flighted 6.0
Odyssey Metal X #7 Arm Lock

#53 chickenpotpie

chickenpotpie

#TeamJetSpeed

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,414 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63615
  • Handicap:8.5
GolfWRX Likes : 556

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

I've had what I consider to be a hole in one......  On one course I play regularly, there is a large oak tree about 240-250 yards out from the tee up the right side.  At the base of the tree is a large knot, roughly the size of your head.  It has been hollowed out over the years by critters, weather, etc to form a hole about the size of a cup, maybe a little bigger.  Well, one time I'm playing and I see my ball heading squarely for that tree.  I've hit towards that tree in the past and usually, it just bounces one way or the other....not a big deal, as it is reasonably open on both sides (OB is left, so right is much safer).  Well this time, I get up there and I can't find my ball.  That is, until one of my playing partners points out that my ball is inside the knot of that tree.  Thankfully, it was a par 5.  Not sure what I actually scored on that hole, but that should count as a 1 in my book.
Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
WITB Link

#54 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55542
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

I was playing a par 3 at my club one evening with 2 friends.. We get to the hole, cut into the side of a large lake, carry, and all on the right side of the hole. Plays pretty short, around 160-170 most of the time. Hit a 8 iron, and it was cutting just perfect.

I slam dunked it into the cup, it must have hit the side of the cup, shot into the pin, and rocketed across the green.. Had some serious speed on it after all of that, and rolled down the side of the green, like 40 feet away.

I managed par after playing just the tip with the hole. Frustrating.

#55 BigDave11

BigDave11

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166367
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

One time i had about a 30 yard pitch to the pin. I was in front of a bunker on an upslope. The pin was only 4 to 5 paces from the edge of the green nearest me. Flopped it high going right ct the pin, expecting it to land and stop. Well the ball landed on top of the pin, bounced straight up landed right in front of the cup and somehow the ball generateda lot of backspin and spun to the fringe. Drained the putt,  but still

#56 CaddiesFault

CaddiesFault

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152241
  • Ebay ID:brentregis
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

it was the semifinals of our club championship, and me and my buddy were both still in it, and we werent playing each other either. it was hole 17, a reachable par 5, and i had my guy dormie and he was 1 down to his. he hits his 2nd a little right and its a foot behind the only tree over there, about 30 yards short still...bad break. he has to alter his swing and try to use the contour of the hole, and hits a great shot, lands in the front fringe, unfortunately 17s green is the lowest spot on the course and theres a drainage grate on the front right of the green. it caroms over the green and OB, he loses the match.(i made eagle and won mine, but lost in the final). i felt bad for him.

Edited by CaddiesFault, 25 April 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#57 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
GolfWRX Likes : 193

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

I was in a tournament a month or so ago, and one of my competitors laced his 3 wood off the tee. The hole was a dogleg left, and he hit it at the left side of the dog leg. Was on a perfect line, headed for the center of the fairway just past the dogleg, and it hit the "Cart------->" sign, and shot about 15 yards back, and about 50 yards right. ended up in about 8" of thick rough, with some trees blocking his view and any chance of a shot at the green. I felt bad for the guy. He wasnt in the running for the tourney, but it still sucks to catch a break like that.

I have hit sprinkler heads near the greens before and shot the ball into a lake (happened a few times). You just have to take the good with the bad and keep plugging along.

#58 goaliescott

goaliescott

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38106
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

I was playing a scramble a few years ago, and this was on the long drive hole.
The ground crews were out mowing the course as we played, so we had to wait for them to clear out several times.
I was on the tee, waiting for the mower to get past the long drive sign stuck in the middle of the fairway, because I was feeling good about the driver that day.
I smoked my drive.  "hey, it's going right at the mower."  We all yelled "fore" knowing the guy wasn't going to hear us over the noise.
*THUMP*
I hit the back of the mower on the fly and the ball rocketed back, ending up about 5 yds short of the longest drive sign.
The drive of my life, denied by a lawn mower cutting the fairways in the middle of the day.

#59 FLOGMR

FLOGMR

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131781
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Playing in a Provincial championship a couple of years ago........nice uphill par 4....I hit my drive straight up the middle of the fairway....picked up my tee and walked over to my bag to put my driver away......Fore caddy signals "Out of bounds".....I couldn't believe it so I called to him..".Was that me OB?"....he again signaled OB, so I hit a provisional right up the same line which I watched run up the fairway straight as can be.
When I got up to the fore caddy I asked about my first drive and he told me it hit the ground and shot dead left over his head and into the OB forest....we never did find out what it hit to do that..... Nice smooth double thanks!!:diablo:

#60 steve0

steve0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82841
  • Ebay ID:veedub502
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

not really a bounce, but I did have a buddy who was teeing off on a par 3.. he hit hits wedge so far to the left it carries through some trees and into the parking lot. out of all the cars in the parking lot, he hits his own car! it was a nice 2007 BMW 5 series too. Put a nice dent in his passenger side door.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors