Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Lee Westwood's Indonesian Masters Perfomances

70 replies to this topic

#31 monkeynaut

monkeynaut

I'm Gonna Live Forever! But first I need to stop this bl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124830
GolfWRX Likes : 1638

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

View Postkitsoasis, on 22 April 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

Funny you say that.

Sometimes the vibe I get around here is that the average WRX'r can pick up his clubs and get compete on most tours with the exception of US, Euro and Nationwide.

Let me just state this unequivocally:  
There is NO DOUBT that Lee Westwood would win a tournament, against a field of the best wrx'ers.  He would ABSOLUTELY win this, and anyone who states differently would be lying to us or themselves

I think the disbelief lies in the fact that he hasn't tried to fabricate such a tournament and claim it as a 39th worldwide win with accompanying OWGR points.

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW
Mizuno JPX 50*, Mizuno MPT-11 54*
Vokey SM4 60/10, Odyssey Black TD #2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 G N R

G N R

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128428
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

View Postbunter101, on 22 April 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

View PostPuttLeftHitRight, on 22 April 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

You seemed surprised the Westwood is playing nobodies. Why else do you think he cannot perform well in majors or other events in North America for that matter?

Because his putting and Short game doesn't match his tee to green.... Next put down?

You want a fact? You are full of BS.

Don't take the bait......this guy is full of it.

#33 rafal

rafal

PM2TM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,356 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
GolfWRX Likes : 897

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:31 AM

View Postmonkeynaut, on 22 April 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

Let me just state this unequivocally:  
There is NO DOUBT that Lee Westwood Yani Tseng would win a tournament, against a field of the best wrx'ers.  He would ABSOLUTELY win this, and anyone who states differently would be lying to us or themselves

Since she got mentioned I think this is appropriate too.  Don't any of you dare argue you can beat her, just don't.  I know you want to chime in how you could...but please for the love of humanity, don't do it.
TM SLDR S 12*
TM SF 1.0 5W/7W
Ping G25 4-LW
TM DLL 35"

#34 mozgolf

mozgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29434
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

View Postbunter101, on 22 April 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

You seemed surprised the Westwood is playing nobodies. Why else do you think he cannot perform well in majors or other events in North America for that matter?

Because his putting and Short game doesn't match his tee to green.... Next put down?

You want a fact? You are full of BS.

+1

Didn't he played it last year to get to #1 and IMHO did the right thing going back as defending champion.  I think I would rather be in Indonesia than Texas just quietly and it must give a great lift to the game in the region having a player of Lee's calibre there. Its a shame more players dont travel more

Edited by mozgolf, 23 April 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#35 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2396

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

I'll be honest here.  I don't think he gives a damn about the OWGR  anymore.  I think Lee likes to win and earn as much money as possible.   He also likes to play in Europe and Asia.  Let's not forget that here is  a drop out pro golfer, who by his own admission, can't do anything  else.  He had a MAJOR scare when he dropped some 200 spots in the OWGR.   If all you know how to do is golf, and all of the sudden that leaves  you, I'm pretty sure that would open your eyes to the urgency of earning  out on tour.  I've never met the man, so I've never asked him, but  yeah...smash and grab it Lee.  

What a horrible life traveling the world winning on on every continent, making buhjillions.  Yeah he should for sure scrap what works for him and toil in the US for no other reason than to make Brandle Chamblee happy.

You need to check your facts a bit more.  Actually don't.  I love you just the way you are, baby.

Edited by Vindog, 23 April 2012 - 07:51 AM.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#36 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 245

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

View Postkg92lefty, on 22 April 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

Indonesia and Malaysia are the only places he will ever win a Masters or Open. Think about it, he beat a bunch of nobodies by 2... Oooooo! Impressive, not.

Not quite. There's Sweden (twice), Belgium (twice), the Netherlands, England (three times), Japan (three times), Germany, Switzerland, Portugal and Australia. Oh, and, as you say, Indonesia (now twice) and Malaysia. I think that's it. It's tough to remember all of them.

What did you get up to this weekend?

Edited by mat562, 23 April 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#37 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,727 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

I think people need to take their tin foil hats off on this one.

Lee doesn't flaunt these wins in our faces as "impressive".  Nobody is calling attention to these wins except for the ones who are attempting to downplay them.  This isn't some grand conspiracy.

Either way, I really don't think he cares.  And I love it!
shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#38 imakaveli

imakaveli

Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,800 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1548

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

That was just a promotional event, not a big deal imho

#39 monkeynaut

monkeynaut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Okay. For the sake of discussion, when Tiger won the Chevron in December, there were some who dismissed it based on the limited field. Tiger had to remind people at Bay Hill that he'd won a few months before.  
Still, that field had 17 players in the Top 50 (and one that was 51).  There was criticism of the OWGR points that would be accumulated.  

So, if Tiger padded his resume by winning weak field events and used those wins to give credibility to his new swing would the same people defending Lee be just as devout in defending Tiger?

If Tiger, by extension, used wins on slow greens to distract from his weak, as of late, flat stick would it be as acceptable?

It seems that the excuses given, for Lee, would be instantly called out as being Tiger FanBoy Apologist Fodder, if we substituted the names of the golfers on this thread.

Edited by monkeynaut, 23 April 2012 - 09:44 AM.

Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW

#40 seak05

seak05

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144539
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

Lee won the event, and Tiger won (and Lee won Nedbank which is a better comp for Chevron but whatever). Winning is always winning. I would say that Chevron was harder than Indonesia, but I'm biased to a good amount of top level talent mattering slightly more than sheer numbers. I think both should get owgr pts though. At the same time, neither is winning a full field Euro or PGA tour event.

Also Tiger is top 10 in tour in putting. Can we please stop with the Tiger's shaky putting thing? It just isn't true no matter how you slice the statistics

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,727 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

View Postmonkeynaut, on 23 April 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

Okay. For the sake of discussion, when Tiger won the Chevron in December, there were some who dismissed it based on the limited field. Tiger had to remind people at Bay Hill that he'd won a few months before.  
Still, that field had 17 players in the Top 50 (and one that was 51).  There was criticism of the OWGR points that would be accumulated.  

So, if Tiger padded his resume by winning weak field events and used those wins to give credibility to his new swing would the same people defending Lee be just as devout in defending Tiger?

If Tiger, by extension, used wins on slow greens to distract from his weak, as of late, flat stick would it be as acceptable?

It seems that the excuses given, for Lee, would be instantly called out as being Tiger FanBoy Apologist Fodder, if we substituted the names of the golfers on this thread.

Lots of stuff in here that is reaching.  No offense.

There were many here that defended Tiger in that win.  Were they the same people? no because typically the Tiger fans have something against Lee (due in part to his playing overseas).   Lee had a very similar win at the Nedbank.  But yeah, that Chevron win was and still is defended.

I'm not sure that Lee is using said wins as a "distraction" as this event gets very little fanfare, if any.  In fact the only discussion about it is this thread.  I can't speak for the hows and whys of the owgr as it related to other tours.  But his play has stacked up well in the US so far this year.  But it begs the question...why would he pad his stats?  It's not going to help him win the Masters or the Open(s) or the PGA.  Not to mention that the "stats" don't count on The PGA or European Tours.

I don't see any excuses as NOBODY in Lee's camp is making as big a deal as some want to believe they are.  Nobody.  I haven't seen anywhere that he is using this as validation, or a distraction or a self fluffing mission.

He got paid to play there, he is the defending champ (again) and he got the winner's check.   Nobody is gushing over this win like you seem to think they are.  Honestly, no one cares save for Lee probably.

Edited by Vindog, 23 April 2012 - 10:53 AM.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#42 jebb

jebb

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3534
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

Indonesia and Malaysia are the only places he will ever win a Masters or Open. Think about it, he beat a bunch of nobodies by 2... Oooooo! Impressive, not.

What did you win this weekend? :drinks:
That Aint Billy Bob!!

#43 monkeynaut

monkeynaut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,910 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

View Postjebb, on 23 April 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

What did you win this weekend? :drinks:

The Wrxer equivalent of "I know you are but what am I?"
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW

#44 Sing Golfer

Sing Golfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126977
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

View Postmonkeynaut, on 21 April 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

I've seen some news items about Lee's possible repeat win of the Indonesian Masters and I always remembered thinking that Lee and Chubby padded his resume with weak field wins.  So, I decided to have a look at the field.  

Out of the 70 players on the leaderboard, Lee ranks #3 this in Official World Ranking.  The next strongest competitor?
#184 Bernd Wiesberger
#192 THONGCHAI JAIDEE
#202 THAWORN WIRATCHANT
#217 LU WEI-CHIH
#228 ANIRBAN LAHIRI
#232 PROM MEESAWAT
#237 MARDAN MAMAT
#238 SCOTT HEND
#245 BEN FOX
#246 TJAART VAN DER WALT
#252 KIERAN PRATT
#287 GAGANJEET BHULLAR
#347 MASANORI KOBAYASHI
#351 SCOTT BARR
#371 HIMMAT RAI
#392 DAISUKE KATAOKA
#409 BERRY HENSON
#437 MARCUS BOTH
#438 ADILSON DA SILVA
#454 JYOTI RANDHAWA
#457 SHIV KAPUR
#459 ELMER SALVADOR

No one else in the Top 500.  Is there any other top player who schedules fields this comparatively weak?

I don't think world golf ranking points had anything to do with Westwood's decision.  He would have been paid plenty to show up and this would be pretty much the only reason.

With regard to the weakness of the field.

I've played with a few of these players before and seen plenty of them playing live.

Almost all would be playing the European or PGA Tour if they could, but they are not consistently good enough. From week to week, many of them can outplay the best in the world (Asian Tour number one Juvic Pagunsan - ranked 176 in the world) finished 35 at the WGC at Doral, but you would never say he was a better player than Mickelson, Choi, Simpson, Clarke, Fowler - or any of the other players he beat.

The big difference between this field and the European Tour or the PGA Tour is the quality of the misses. The misses are simply more frequent and worse.

Despite the weakness, Westwood still has to perform. It is not a field of muppets and any one of a dozen players could have had a hot week and won.

#45 TheDarkOne

TheDarkOne

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67065
GolfWRX Likes : 576

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

These are my favorite kind of posts here.
There is nothing better than an anonymous user on the Internet belittling one of the highest ranked golfers in the world and making predictions that have no basis in fact or even have the most feeble attempts at support in terms of debate.

#46 PaddyK

PaddyK

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121204
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

View Postmonkeynaut, on 21 April 2012 - 11:04 AM, said:

I've seen some news items about Lee's possible repeat win of the Indonesian Masters and I always remembered thinking that Lee and Chubby padded his resume with weak field wins.  So, I decided to have a look at the field.  

Out of the 70 players on the leaderboard, Lee ranks #3 this in Official World Ranking.  The next strongest competitor?
#184 Bernd Wiesberger
#192 THONGCHAI JAIDEE
#202 THAWORN WIRATCHANT
#217 LU WEI-CHIH
#228 ANIRBAN LAHIRI
#232 PROM MEESAWAT
#237 MARDAN MAMAT
#238 SCOTT HEND
#245 BEN FOX
#246 TJAART VAN DER WALT
#252 KIERAN PRATT
#287 GAGANJEET BHULLAR
#347 MASANORI KOBAYASHI
#351 SCOTT BARR
#371 HIMMAT RAI
#392 DAISUKE KATAOKA
#409 BERRY HENSON
#437 MARCUS BOTH
#438 ADILSON DA SILVA
#454 JYOTI RANDHAWA
#457 SHIV KAPUR
#459 ELMER SALVADOR

No one else in the Top 500.  Is there any other top player who schedules fields this comparatively weak?

I always find these threads strange, on the one hand everyone on WRX likes to say how this site is for the golfer that is smarter than the average Bear, then they go and post ill informed, poorly thought out rubbish like this, in some vain effort to belittle one of the worlds top golfer.

Odd.

That is all.

#47 matty1802

matty1802

matty1802

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64801
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

I dont think the quality of the field has anything to do with westwood winning. If westwood goes out and shoots 65 then the quality of the field is irrelivant. So what you are all saying is that if the field was full of major champions then they would of shot better. I dont think so.
SLDR 12* (set to 10.5*) Kuro Kage 60g X
Ping i20 15* Aldila NV RIP'd 75g X
Ping G25 17* Aldila NV RIP'd 85g S
Ping i20 3-PW Z-Z65 with Cushin
Titleist SM5 54* & 58* DGS400
Ping Nome 33"

#48 PuttLeftHitRight

PuttLeftHitRight

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168147
GolfWRX Likes : 141

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Regardless of score, we are saying that the only reason he won was because he beat some nobodies.

#49 matty1802

matty1802

matty1802

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64801
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:57 AM

View PostPuttLeftHitRight, on 08 July 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

Regardless of score, we are saying that the only reason he won was because he beat some nobodies.

Well going by your previous posts your a Westwood hater anyway so your comments mean nothing.
SLDR 12* (set to 10.5*) Kuro Kage 60g X
Ping i20 15* Aldila NV RIP'd 75g X
Ping G25 17* Aldila NV RIP'd 85g S
Ping i20 3-PW Z-Z65 with Cushin
Titleist SM5 54* & 58* DGS400
Ping Nome 33"

#50 imakaveli

imakaveli

Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,800 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:10 AM

View Postmatty1802, on 11 July 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

Well going by your previous posts your a Westwood hater anyway so your comments mean nothing.

Don´t feed the hatig troll

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 PuttLeftHitRight

PuttLeftHitRight

Major Winner

• 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

View Postmatty1802, on 11 July 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

His showings speak for themselves regardless of my comments, which are 100% correct.

#52 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,727 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

View PostPuttLeftHitRight, on 11 July 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

His showings speak for themselves regardless of my comments, which are 100% correct.

I honestly don't think he gives a damn.  He's rolling in dough.  He's won all over the world.

And you're stuck in Texas, swooning over college kids playing golf.  That's a little disturbing....

Edited by Vindog, 11 July 2012 - 07:28 AM.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#53 imakaveli

imakaveli

Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,800 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

View PostVindog, on 11 July 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

I honestly don't think he gives a damn.  He's rolling in dough.  He's won all over the world.

And you're stuck in Texas, swooning over college kids playing golf.  That's a little disturbing....

Come on don´t be hard on him...

Each time I saw Westwood he seemed the happiest person in the world anyway... I would love to do his life , without even majors: making millions doing what he loves, travelling the world and all of this with a beautiful family!

#54 PuttLeftHitRight

PuttLeftHitRight

Major Winner

• 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

View Postimakaveli, on 11 July 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

Each time I saw Westwood he seemed the happiest person in the world anyway

So happy he had to move to America!

#55 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4829

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

I watched the Open Championship at Turnberry yesterday on golf channel classics. Westwood again failed to par the 18th, just like he did in 2009. Like then, a par yesterday would have gotten him into the playoff. What a choker

Ping I20 9.5 w/TFC
Ping G10 14* w/Diamana Kai'li
Ping G15 20* hybrid w/C taper
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#56 imakaveli

imakaveli

Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,800 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

View PostPuttLeftHitRight, on 11 July 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

This does not make sense, but I appreciate your trolling attempt ;)

#57 spooky

spooky

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38660
GolfWRX Likes : 133

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:39 AM

View PostMtlJeff, on 11 July 2012 - 08:18 PM, said:

I watched the Open Championship at Turnberry yesterday on golf channel classics. Westwood again failed to par the 18th, just like he did in 2009. Like then, a par yesterday would have gotten him into the playoff. What a choker
I seem to remember him thinking he needed a birdie to get into a playoff and being too aggressive with his first putt.

#58 PuttLeftHitRight

PuttLeftHitRight

Major Winner

• 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

View Postimakaveli, on 12 July 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

If he were truly happy in Europe then why did he move?

#59 imakaveli

imakaveli

Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,800 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

View PostPuttLeftHitRight, on 12 July 2012 - 06:08 AM, said:

View Postimakaveli, on 12 July 2012 - 01:22 AM, said:

If he were truly happy in Europe then why did he move?

What does his moving have to do with his happyness?

#60 PuttLeftHitRight

PuttLeftHitRight

Major Winner

• 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

View Postimakaveli, on 12 July 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

What does his moving have to do with his happyness?

Didn't he mentioned he was tired of bad weather? If he enjoyed life in Europe he would not have left.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors