Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

golf guru

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Benchcoach

Benchcoach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63353
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

Just heard that gpsgolfguru is going out of the GPS business and into software business.  Anyone heard the same?  Thats going to be a shame. Personally feel that is the best unit on the market.  Also the best customer service.  What gives?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Andy L

Andy L

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

I have not heard anything from GG. I had emailed their CEO a while back for a company update and got no response.

It would be a darn shame if they don't make dedicated hardware anymore. My Golf Guru g002 is an outstanding device. I had told their CEO a while back that I felt there was still a market for refreshed version of the G002. Its a great product for those that don't want to mess around with color touch screens or smartphone apps.

I agree with you about their custmer service. In my opinion golf guru has the best customer service of any company that I've ever dealt with. Every map request I've ever made was done fast and accurately in less than 7 days.

I sure hope they continue to support their existing customers with course maps.

Edited by Andy L, 22 April 2012 - 06:48 AM.

#3 milfordj

milfordj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57845

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

So much for the "New Golf Guru 6" that earlier Threads mentioned and that I was very interested in.

#4 phil75070

phil75070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1580
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

If that "software" is a smartphone golf app, it will probably be a more profitable business. Once developed for the various platforms and tested there is very little overhead, inventory is nothing, support should be minimal. Let the guys with the big bucks, SkyGolf, Garmin, Callaway and Bushnell fight over the hardware market.
Callaway Big Bertha 10.5*
Callaway X2-Hot 3w/ X-Hot 5w
Callaway X-Hot 4 and 5 Hybrids
Callaway X2-Hot Irons  6-AW
Callaway MD2 Tourr Grind 54/58
Zebra Putter

#5 Andy L

Andy L

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

View Postphil75070, on 22 April 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

If that "software" is a smartphone golf app, it will probably be a more profitable business. Once developed for the various platforms and tested there is very little overhead, inventory is nothing, support should be minimal. Let the guys with the big bucks, SkyGolf, Garmin, Callaway and Bushnell fight over the hardware market.

Phil, have you heard anything from GG about their company?  Last correspondence that I had with GG was Aug 2011 from Darryl Cornish.  He said they were working on a new business model and had been quietly testing some new software products. I might now interpret this as smartphone apps given the OP's comment.  Mr. Cornish also indicated that they recently had one of their patents upheld by the patent courts.

#6 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

As I just said I another thread on handheld devices ala skycaddie and others, they will soon become obsolete based on what exists software wise on iPhones. Smart move

#7 Andy L

Andy L

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostSwisstrader98, on 22 April 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

As I just said I another thread on handheld devices ala skycaddie and others, they will soon become obsolete based on what exists software wise on iPhones. Smart move

I agree it's probably a smart business move for them, but for those that appreciate dedicated hardware this is unfortunate.  

While I occasionally do use my android phone on the course to listen to music and to send/receive a text or check the radar for the severity of the weather approaching, I don't prefer handling my phone on the course.  Whereas I mount my my golf guru to my push cart or hang it from my bag so that I have a constant yardage data and don't need to press a single button or touch it  to use it.

#8 Benchcoach

Benchcoach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63353

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

When I called I was interested in the Guru 4 and he said they were sold out.  That they MAY get another shipment in next week but that would be it that they were going into the software business.  He did not elaborate anymore than that other to say when I ask him if that wasnt leaving the rest of us just hanging out there.  He said they would continue to take care of their customers for repairs etc as long as they would be able to.  
Now I never thought about what Phil said.  If they do something like that I probably would go with them just because of the success I have had with them in the past.  That does make sense.  Still love my old G002 though.

#9 phil75070

phil75070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

There will always be a market for dedicated hand-held devices as the use of smartphones is actually against the rules due to the other capabilities they have, which, just like slope on a laser device, don't go away just by non-use or turning them off.
Zebra Putter

#10 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

View Postphil75070, on 23 April 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

There will always be a market for dedicated hand-held devices as the use of smartphones is actually against the rules due to the other capabilities they have, which, just like slope on a laser device, don't go away just by non-use or turning them off.
GPS devices were also against the rules just a few short years ago...same will happen with the smartphones when the R&A and the USGA rewrite the rules on this. Only reason they're not legal is due to a compass on the phones, which means about 90% of all golfers out there should be DQd immediately :busted2:

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 bradbuff

bradbuff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47041
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

I predicted this over a year ago.

#12 Adamsguy

Adamsguy

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91942
  • Ebay ID:smeiska123

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

Times they are a changing. I love my GG4. Use it all the time for golf and road trips.

#13 phil75070

phil75070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:34 AM

View PostSwisstrader98, on 23 April 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

Only reason they're not legal is due to a compass on the phones, which means about 90% of all golfers out there should be DQd immediately :busted2:

It is not just the compass. It is the fact that there are apps that can measure other golf-related aspects besides distance, such as slope, wind direction/speed, or provide recommendations on which club to use, etc..

Rangefinders with slope have not been approved and can't be used even if the slope function is turned off. The Leopold GX-4 even has a bright yellow face plate that needs to be attached for it to provide more than distance. Even with it off and obviously and very clearly NOT being used to provide anything but distance it is still now allowed under USGA Rules.

Personally, I don't see what the issue is with any of this. Knowing that there is a 3* slope on the green still wouldn't tell me how much break to play, or the fact that the wind is right-to-left at 12mph vs 15mph tell me where to aim. The cat's already out of the bag.
Zebra Putter

#14 spikespead

spikespead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81379

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Your saying smart phones are illegal on the golf course because how you might use them?

#15 phil75070

phil75070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

Perhaps this explanation that I found on line will help:

Here is the specific wording of the 2012 Rules of Golf on Distance-Measuring Devices (Rule 14-3)(emphasis mine): "A multi-functional device, such as a smartphone or PDA, may be used as a distance measuring device provided it contains a distance measuring application that meets all of the above limitations (i.e., it must measure distance only). 
In addition, when the distance measuring application is being used, there must be no other features or applications installed on the device that, if used, would be in breach of the Rules, whether or not they are actually used."

Banned apps under the rules include weather, compass, club selection, green-reading, slope-measuring...

So, is it even still possible to use a smartphone golf GPS app under local rule? Most smartphones, such as the iPhone, have default weather apps installed, for example. The iPhone's weather app is part of its operating system, and cannot be deleted, so the iPhone is not legal under this ruling. Less obviously, apps such as the default web browsers installed on all smartphones are probably not compliant, since you could look up all types of information on a browser.

Further probing of this ruling has revealed that the USGA considers it okay to carry a smartphone on the course with prohibited features, as long as the phone isn't being used. It's okay if it's in your bag or pocket, but not if you're using the smartphone on the course.

Zebra Putter

#16 GolferDan23

GolferDan23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189598

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hi All, I am curious as well as I recently bought the Guru 4 on eBay and cannot register it in my name as it is assigned to someone else.

The seller tried his best by doing what he could. I hate to return it as it seems like a wonderful unit.

For those that have the Guru 4, any thoughts on how I could register it in my name? I've tried numerous times contacting the company but with no luck at all. Call and the lines are busy, no responses to emails, and online chat is always off.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks!
Daniel

#17 phil75070

phil75070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

I know of no way to unregister a device without the Guru people doing it for you. If the individual you bought it from no longer has reason to use his Guru account, that is he doesn't have another Guru he uses, you could ask him for his log-in credentials (email address and password). You could then go into the profile and change that info to whatever you want to use.
Zebra Putter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors