Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Eye dominance question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 snkstaff

snkstaff

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23556
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

So here is my question. I went to get fitted for a putter and the pro had me test my eye dominance. He said I was extremely right eye dominant with a slight arc in my stoke. He recommend a anser neck style putter. Does this sound right?  I just have never putted very well with ansers so i was really surprised by the recommendation. Any input would be helpful.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 PaulM26

PaulM26

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133999
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:32 AM

I don't get the "extremely right eye dominant" comment -- people are either right eye or left eye dominant, period. To me, eye dominance affects the amount of offset needed to aim the putter accurately -- right eye dominance means more offset, left eye dominance means less or no offset (assuming a neutral ball position). So I would agree with the fitters recommendation of a plumbers neck style putter.

Hard to tell why you have putted well with ansers previously -- could be the putters you've tried are poorly fit, or perhaps they simply don't suit your eye. Having a putter that you find easy to aim and put a good stroke on the ball is critical, so I would try a number of putter styles to find one that best suits you.

Good that you getting fitted, though.

#3 GooseHook

GooseHook

Do you not?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114119
GolfWRX Likes : 1601

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

View PostPaulM26, on 20 April 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I don't get the "extremely right eye dominant" comment -- people are either right eye or left eye dominant, period. To me, eye dominance affects the amount of offset needed to aim the putter accurately -- right eye dominance means more offset, left eye dominance means less or no offset (assuming a neutral ball position). So I would agree with the fitters recommendation of a plumbers neck style putter.

Hard to tell why you have putted well with ansers previously -- could be the putters you've tried are poorly fit, or perhaps they simply don't suit your eye. Having a putter that you find easy to aim and put a good stroke on the ball is critical, so I would try a number of putter styles to find one that best suits you.

Good points.  Eye dominance and offset affect how we set up to the ball, i.e. get our alignment actually correct.

I'd be interested to see the breakdown of what types of alignment folks use, vs. their eye dominance.  As a righty with left eye dominance, I'm trying a "blanked out" putter to keep my focus on the ball.
SLDR 460, Elements Chrome 7F5T
PING G25 , Elements Chrome 8F5T
SLDR TP Rescue 24*
MP Fli-Hi/ JPX 825 Pro / MP-T4
Piretti Potenza
WITB Link

#4 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126874
GolfWRX Likes : 1193

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

View PostPaulM26, on 20 April 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

tHAT EXPLAINS WHY I'VE ALWAYS BEEN A BETTER LONG PUTTER WITH 8802-STYLE BLADE PUTTERS!!!!  :yahoo:

Right-handed, Left-eye dominant.   Strong-arc stroke.
PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

#5 chamgel2

chamgel2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49693
  • Ebay ID:ndtitanfan
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

I have the same problem as the OP...right eye dominant, but always struggled with an Anser Style putter.  For me, the cure was the Seemore FGP/FGP2.  Never rolled a putter so well.

Titleist 913 D2 8.5 Diamana d+ 72
Callaway 2deep 12.5 Diamana S+ 72
Ping Anser 17 & 20* Hybrid TFC 800
Titleist 714 AP2  5-PW KBS Tour
Vokey SM5 50/56/60 KBS
Odyssey Tank Versa #7

#6 Golfjunki71

Golfjunki71

LEDLIYLBSIWB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2196
GolfWRX Likes : 1059

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

Sounds right. However, I am left eye dominant and use a Newport. When I get my dominant eye over the ball, my line is better.
Sldr White
3w
Titleist 913H 17 Fubuki
Titleist AP2714
Titleist Vokey 54M 60S Indigo
Newport Select 2014

#7 DarkStewie

DarkStewie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114621
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Would would be recommended for someone with a slight arc and left eye dominance? I have tried 8802 styles but they force to much open and closing that doesn't feel natural to me. I use an Anser 2 now.

#8 PaulM26

PaulM26

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133999
  • Handicap:9.0

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

tHAT EXPLAINS WHY I'VE ALWAYS BEEN A BETTER LONG PUTTER WITH 8802-STYLE BLADE PUTTERS!!!!  :yahoo:

[/quote]

That's me, too. Always feel more comfortable with a half-shift (or less) offset. Tried a number of putter styles over the years (including 8802s) -- I now believe that a Zing-style head works best for me, and am looking to find the right combo of head weight/shaft/lie/loft to replace my TM Imola 8.

#9 mahonie

mahonie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80712

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

View PostPaulM26, on 21 April 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

That's me, too. Always feel more comfortable with a half-shift (or less) offset. Tried a number of putter styles over the years (including 8802s) -- I now believe that a Zing-style head works best for me, and am looking to find the right combo of head weight/shaft/lie/loft to replace my TM Imola 8.

Me too!! 8802-style putters suit my eye, but I have trouble missing short putts left. Had some success with a Zing-style (Cleveland Classic #3) but have now switched to a Rife 400 Mid-Mallet which is 'nearly' face-balanced.

This has immediately stopped the pulled putts and it really puts a great roll on the ball. I can line up the short putts and use a SBST stroke and I have started to hole a lot more longer putts as well!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors