Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

DUVAL

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 Frank-0-Sport

Frank-0-Sport

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64072
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:05 PM

Greetings ... -YET AGAIN-

David Duval tied for 70th after 54 holes and -WILL PLAY- on Sunday. If he finishes out the last 18, he'll get at least $ 11,780 for his week's work.

Thanx-A-Lot and Attaboy Dave, Frank-0-Sport

Edited by Frank-0-Sport, 22 April 2012 - 08:37 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 Reidman

Reidman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81356
  • Ebay ID:reidman12
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

I too am a big fan...and followed DD all 18 holes this past Thursday at the Valero. Seems his short game and putting is still pretty good...its his long game that is suffering. Watched him miss 2 or 3 greens with wedge or less in his hands...and no wind. At the Valero, if you miss the green, you will struggle to get up & down.

He has slimmed down a bit...and you can see the dedication. Shouldn't be too much longer.
Adams XTD 10.5 Matrix Red Tie R
Adams Tight Lies 14, 19 Bassara S
Adams a12 Pro Irons 4-LW KBS Tour R
Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line
Srizon Z-Star
Handicap 3.6

#33 mosesgolf

mosesgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6303
GolfWRX Likes : 258

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

DD had such a fantastic game back in the day.  It's sad that his game is now gone.  That is the maddening thing about this crazy game.  Same thing happened to Bill Rogers, Curtis Strange, and maybe Tiger Woods too.
Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 9 Motore TS 6.2
TM RBZ Stage 2 18.5, 21.5 Adams Pnut 24
TM Rocketbladez Tour 5-GW KBS C Taper S
TM ATV 56 60
TM Rossa 35
Pro V1x

#34 A V Twiss

A V Twiss

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92944
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 19 April 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

I used to really dislike Duval, but then he won The Open, and his winners speech changed my mind about him forever, as it was clear to see just how much it meant to him. It's a shame that his game headed south soon after his victory.

I have always thought that he would someday get his game back, but I feel that time is running out for it to happen now. His slump has been so prolonged that it's going to be much harder for him to snap out of it in the way that Westwood & Stricker managed. Perhaps he's another Ian Baker-Finch.

I hope he either sorts his game out or quits playing tournament golf. He doesn't need to money, and it's really sad to see a once great champion not only struggling at the bottom of the leaderboard, but also to get in to tournaments.

I know what you mean.  I couldn't really warm to him.  I suspect, for me, it was his oakly sunglasses.  They made him look cold and aloof.

#35 Frank-0-Sport

Frank-0-Sport

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Greetings ...

David Duval shot a final round 1-under-71 to finish the Texas Open 8-over-par, a 3-way tie for 60th -- $ 13,640.

He's currently listed in next week's field at New Orleans. Thanx-A-Lot and Best of Luck, David!

Edited by Frank-0-Sport, 22 April 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#36 imakaveli

imakaveli

Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Handicap:4.3
GolfWRX Likes : 653

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

Is there an article or something similar with his story and how he ended up like this?

#37 Reidman

Reidman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81356
  • Ebay ID:reidman12
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

View Postimakaveli, on 23 April 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

Is there an article or something similar with his story and how he ended up like this?

Hank Haney wrote in his book that DD had the long-game yips....kind of like what benched Ian Baker Finch for good. I have also read of DD battling vertigo, and back issues.
Adams XTD 10.5 Matrix Red Tie R
Adams Tight Lies 14, 19 Bassara S
Adams a12 Pro Irons 4-LW KBS Tour R
Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line
Srizon Z-Star
Handicap 3.6

#38 imakaveli

imakaveli

Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Handicap:4.3
GolfWRX Likes : 653

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

View PostReidman, on 24 April 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

View Postimakaveli, on 23 April 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

Hank Haney wrote in his book that DD had the long-game yips....kind of like what benched Ian Baker Finch for good. I have also read of DD battling vertigo, and back issues.

thx! :)

#39 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,764 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:9.1

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:31 AM

Several years back there was and article I remember best that hit it home for me - basically said that Duval didnt care about golf as much as other players and that he had come to the point in his life where his family really meant more to him than another few hours on the range or another practice round. Struck me - for once - as a guy that actually meant it. I've worked for a lot of companies in my day that say oh yeah we care about a work-life balance and then you are working 60 hour weeks anyway. For once I saw a guy who actually was willing to spend time with his family instead of beat balls for another day. Turns out it cost him his career but what did he get in return? Guy has *always* seemed complete happy and at peace with his decision to put his family first. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me.

Back in the day when I was getting re-addicted to golf in the late 90s Duval was one of my idols. I always tell the story of the local golf store that would really stock up on the new release of the Nike TW golf ball. Well they were always sold out - but if you remember they also made a Nike DD and I was always so psyched because no one wanted to buy them!! LOL.
TM SLDR 10.5 - Adlila Tour Blue
TM RBZ 14.5* - Aldila Tour Blue
Mizuno JPX EZ 19* / 22*
Ping i20s 5-PW
Cleveland RTG 52*/56*/60*
Yes Sara 12 Mid 36"
Wilson Staff Duo

#40 sefus12

sefus12

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92725
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

View Postdcmidnight, on 26 April 2012 - 05:31 AM, said:

Several years back there was and article I remember best that hit it home for me - basically said that Duval didnt care about golf as much as other players and that he had come to the point in his life where his family really meant more to him than another few hours on the range or another practice round. Struck me - for once - as a guy that actually meant it. I've worked for a lot of companies in my day that say oh yeah we care about a work-life balance and then you are working 60 hour weeks anyway. For once I saw a guy who actually was willing to spend time with his family instead of beat balls for another day. Turns out it cost him his career but what did he get in return? Guy has *always* seemed complete happy and at peace with his decision to put his family first. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me.

Back in the day when I was getting re-addicted to golf in the late 90s Duval was one of my idols. I always tell the story of the local golf store that would really stock up on the new release of the Nike TW golf ball. Well they were always sold out - but if you remember they also made a Nike DD and I was always so psyched because no one wanted to buy them!! LOL.

I've heard/read the same things too.  I know Duval's wife had a very rough pregnancy and he took a lot of time off after that.  He also battled back issues and vertigo along the way and I think at some point he realized enjoying his life meant more than playing golf.  He does seem to have found that competitive fire again, at least a bit, but I for one am really happy the guy figured out what he wanted out of life and seems to have accomplished it.  Anything at this point is simply icing on the cake that is his wonderful career.  I will always be a fan.

Cobra Amp Cell Pro w/GD AD-BB 7X
TM Rocketballz Tour 13*
Titleist 913h 17* w/D+ 92s
TM Rocketbladez Tour w/KBS Tour S
TM Wedges
Odyssey Rossie FB1

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 Bluefan75

Bluefan75

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56847
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Don't forget there was a pretty nasty breakup not too long after his Open Championship win.  Add it to his vertigo and back issues, and that is not what you need when you're struggling.

#42 tom93084

tom93084

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116889
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

I don't buy the idea that he sucks now because he wants to spend more time with his family. He cares enough to keep going to tournaments just to miss the cut. He just lost it for whatever reason.

You don't go from world #1 to probably not good enough for the nationwide tour just cause your practice time is a bit more limited.

Edited by tom93084, 26 April 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#43 Lairdyboy

Lairdyboy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103532
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:12 AM

Not a bad start for DD this week. Level par with 3 bogeys and a double. Cut some of those mistakes out and he's hopefully looking at another cut made.

#44 Frank-0-Sport

Frank-0-Sport

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Greetings ...

A 2nd-round 69, which included a couple of bogeys. He'll definitely be eating Louisiana cuisine over the weekend.

http://www.pgatour.c...r018/index.html

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Sport

#45 glcoach

glcoach

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6874
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

If it was all about golf taking a backseat to family then he wouldn't be at tournaments.  

I am a huge DD fan and am glad he broke 70 for the first time in a PGA Tour tournament this year.  Hopefully it is a sign of better things ahead.

#46 chilidipper72

chilidipper72

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44130
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Longtime DD fan. Have noticed following his results the last 3-4 years he rarely plays more then 2 events back to back. He always played well during the 2nd event, especially the sat. and sun rounds if he made the cut. This is the first in a while that he has played 3 events this close together (harbor town, valero, and new orleans) and Im sure has to do with having no more exemptions.

Also, recently I think he switched to the Razr Fit starting at harbor town and looking at his results, especially today, I havent seen him hit this many FIR and his distance has been awesome. Maybe he will finally turn the corner.

#47 boomboom726

boomboom726

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105590
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

DD...Issue is with the driver...I guess Hank Haney hit it on the head "long game yips"...Duval, in his prime, played a power fade and he pounded the ball. He actually stated he never had to even worry about going left. Well as many of us have found out going left off the tee is worse than a slice...Duval started with lefts everything from snap hooks...to dreaded dead left pull then to add insult to injury the now and again block out right to try to stop the lefts. I saw him at an event in early 2003 and he hit three OB left before finally teeing off with a five iron. The body breakdowns started with the back, then vertigo, then the wrist and he tried to compensate and shattered his already unorthodox swing (shut at the top). He followed that by going to just about every instructor out there Haney, Leadbetter etc and they all tried to change him which didnt work especially since he somewhat lacked the committment. In the end time will tell with him...I know based on his round today he hit a ton of fairways and the ones he missed were just missed no hard pulls left etc.

Duval wasnt like Woods when he was #1...Woods hit the ball a ton sometimes off line but always managed to compensate...When DD was on back the late 90s he demolished golf courses by smashing the ball a long way but in the fairway then hitting tight approach shots and the guy had more confidence with his putter at that time than anyone i have ever seen. He was methodical with he played courses in regulation and scored while doing it.

#48 Yuck

Yuck

Fore!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26540
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

"DUVAL can't even make a cut anymore"

Kind of like the reverse announcers curse.  The OP put this up and DD makes two consecutive cuts.  

#49 RedSide

RedSide

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107019
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

View Postjrazz16, on 19 April 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

Here is the speech

:clapping:

#50 Frankie Lob Wedge

Frankie Lob Wedge

Charlie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130943
GolfWRX Likes : 412

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

View Postyuck, on 27 April 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

"DUVAL                            can't even make a cut anymore"

Kind of like the reverse announcers curse.  The OP put this up and DD makes two consecutive cuts.  

I like it.  Good for DD.  Golf is really hard.  I think Faldo was considered by a lot of people to be an arrogant jerk and maybe he still is.  Supposedly he said that when he was on top that it took total dedication.  This is hard to maintain and still have a life.  Also if something goes with your game then it is hard to stay on top.  

Too many good players out there too. I think it is even harder when you have such great international players.  Look at Northern ireland with three guys who have won majors.  Ditto S. African with Charl, Louis and Immelman.  So much talent.

Duval hates to be away from his wife and kids too.  I think Phil is probably one of the best at keeping the right balance.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 ronnbee

ronnbee

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138003
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

View Postcfgolf, on 19 April 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

Just three years ago, it looked like David was on the upswing again, nearly pulling a shocker and winning the US Open out of nowhere.  Now, it looks like he's on his way to his 8th straight MC of the year.  To top that, he has only shot under par in ONE ROUND!  For a tour pro to not even post a few under par rounds is very rare.

He was one tough dude in his prime.  Too bad he looks like he might be finished for good soon.  I think his exemptions are used up, aren't they?

HE MADE CUT AT N ORLEANSPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#52 Whispering Eye

Whispering Eye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168323
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

I remember seeing him win the Michelob at Kingsmill in 1997. He was dominant player back in his day. I think that most golf fans that saw him play back then would like to see him enjoy some of his former success. It's just not gonna happen this week, as he's sitting near the bottom of the leader board.

#53 PuttLeftHitRight

PuttLeftHitRight

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168147
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Duval!!!

#54 kharmon

kharmon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58884

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

As a big fan of DD, I agree with most of everyone's take on this.  Numerous back, neck, wrist and knee injuries, positional vertigo, a failed long term relationship and many swing compensations, all led to DD's decline, slight resurgence, decline, and current slight resurgence.  

For the most part, he has overcome the driver yips but still has bouts with it and that lends to lack of confidence.  When a Tour Player loses confidence, it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to compete on tour.

His main motivation today is to be able to show his new family the game that brought him success (earned over $18MM), ideally by winning a tournament in front of them.  If he had not met Susie when he did, fell in love and started a family (also becoming a step father to her 3 children), he would be nowhere to be seen.  The fact that he is still out there (relying on sponsor invitations this year) is all about attempting to prove to his family he can do it.  He is teaching his kids to never quit, never give up.

He really feels he can win again.  I greatly admire him for that.  If he were to win again, it would be the best story in sports in the last 20 years and would make for a very interesting book or even an epic movie.  David lost his older brother, Brent, at an early age.  In an effort to save Brent, David donated bone marrow to him but unfortunately Brent passed away about 2 months later.  Many do not know of this as well as other issues he had to overcome.

Recently, he has gone back to his father for instruction, the man who originally taught him the game.  His college coach, Puggy Blackmon has worked with him over the years as well.  Lets hope for something very special to happen to DD very soon.

Edited by kharmon, 02 May 2012 - 10:48 AM.

#55 schmidlack

schmidlack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

Duval's game has been down for a loooooong time, probably 8+ years.  He may have been through a lot of stuff, but I'm afraid it's too late for him.  I remember after maybe 4 bad years thinking that golf is a marathon, not a sprint and he was only 36 or so and had plenty of time to rise again.  But year after year went by and now at 40, he is still showing no signs of his game coming back.  None.  Failed miserably at Q school, twice.  I think he should hang up the cleats, spend more quality time with the family and enjoy living off his past success while giving way to the next generation.  The time has come.

#56 kharmon

kharmon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58884

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

You may be right (above).  Poor tee shots today at Quail Hollow, two of witch on #7 tee (his 16th) led to DD making a 9 on the par 5 and he shot plus 4, 76 today.

#57 rbsanitation

rbsanitation

Rookie

• Account Hold
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153089
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

He is in good company, Elderic looks like a miss too.

Unlike Elderic, DD has fans who support him through the struggles he has put in to come back, whereas Elderic continually attempts to control and manipulate people, this among other things are his dark undoing.

Elderics struggle to control is foolhardy as was his alteregos pancake pounding.  DD continues to prevail and like a true champion with integrity may surprise once again.  I am hopeful that DD will produce better results over the course of 2012.  GO DD GO!

#58 ronnbee

ronnbee

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138003
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:51 AM

::missed the cut this week :swoon:

Edited by ronnbee, 10 June 2012 - 05:52 AM.

#59 Golf Gods

Golf Gods

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178358
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

View Postrafal, on 20 April 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

Does anyone know what the main problem is?  Driver yips?  Bad putting?   There's always a reason for underperformance.

From what I remember all his problems started when his long time girlfriend left him for another guy. Kind of like a Tiger killer. But Tiger did it to himself. Really like the guy and am hoping he makes a return.

Edited by Golf Gods, 10 June 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#60 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,484 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 1590

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

I remember reading a story about him (or at least I thought I did) that he had a really bad childhood event regarding his brother. If I recall the story, he ended up being a bone marrow donor for his brother (don't remember the affliction) who later died from complications related to rejecting the marrow (?). Anyway, I think there was a boatload of guilt stemming from that, and the home relationship with Bob wasn't always what it should have been due to the sibling's death. Assuming I am correct in my recollection, I would understand why he would place importance on home life and attention to his family.

Mizuno Mp 600 9.5/Diamana Blueboard 63x
Mizuno Mp 650 15/Diamana Blueboard 83x
Mizuno Mp Fli-Hi 18/DG x100
Mizuno Mp 59 3-pw/DG x100
Mizuno Mp-T4 52, 58/DG x100
Odyssey White Ice #7

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors