Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Having your Pro Make a call to another club to make a tee time

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 johnnylongball

johnnylongball

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29601
  • Ebay ID:biddinfool1
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

I joined a private club in the last year and I have a question for the forum.  How much of an imposition is it to ask my pro to call another club to arrange a tee time for me?  I'm not talking about asking him to do this on any regular basis, or asking him to get me onto somewhere really elite like Oakmont or Pine Valley.

What I'm wondering is, if I ask him a couple of times a year, for example, to get me onto a club of similar "status", is this considered a huge favor/imposition?  Or is it really just part of his job and it won't really bother him much at all?

What's the general opinion out there?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 BamafaninKY

BamafaninKY

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133750
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

I don't think it's an imposition on the pro or the other club. As long as you're not asking for multiple tee times on a Saturday morning it shouldn't be an issue.

#3 CPSOX

CPSOX

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4622
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

Pros at most club are very good at accepting reciprocity.....as long as its truly reciprocal.  The pro at a top 25 club likely won't accept many calls from clubs nobody outside of your town's 10 mile radius has heard of.  

Some pros are more helpful than others, I'll leave it at that.  However, one rule stands firm.....if your pro calls and gets you a tee time, you MUST accept it.  Even if the unaccompanied rate is more than you want to spend.  There is nothing more embarrassing to a pro than having a member back out of a tee time b/c they were too cheap to cough up the unaccompanied guest rate.  Back out, you can probably kiss any future help from your pro goodbye.

#4 Sand-Save

Sand-Save

Nice Shaft

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102268
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Use this to your benefit. I've done it many of times. I've used this especially when going out of town. Not a big deal I actually think it makes your pro feel like he's got some great authority

#5 Smooth spin scott

Smooth spin scott

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8822
  • Ebay ID:golfer1135
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

Our golf Director is awesome for this, and this guy has some major connections at some of the top courses here in Ontario Canada.  There are 4 of us and he has no problem making a call to a club that we are interested in playing at.... In saying that though we are low handicappers and respect the rules of golf and the club more than some other members, so I guess what I'm saying is that if you have a good reputation your pro shouldn't have an issue making the call.

Driver -  M2
3 wood - 915f
Hybrids - Titleist 915 3/4
Irons - Mizuno MP18 MMC / Modus3 120 stiff.
Wedges - Vokey SM6 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

#6 gibbyfan

gibbyfan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2969
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

I've done this too. As others have said, it is a real help when you are going out of town and you want to play some nontouristy courses or private courses. In some cases they will even comp you. With that said, if you are a guest make sure you tip, check in on time, etc. I go over the top to show my appreciation to the host course.

#7 bcp

bcp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92383
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

It is a part of their job and part of your benefits.  In my experience, most pros pride themselves on where they can get you on, and take pride in doing so.

#8 johnnylongball

johnnylongball

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29601
  • Ebay ID:biddinfool1
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

View Postbcp, on 18 April 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

It is a part of their job and part of your benefits.  In my experience, most pros pride themselves on where they can get you on, and take pride in doing so.

I appreciate all the replies.  Particular thanks, BCP.  This is the exact response I was hoping to hear.

#9 Not Far From Par

Not Far From Par

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121839
  • Handicap:3.8
  • Ebay ID:Not-Far-From-Par
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

I actually just did this last month..
I am living in E.Washington, & one, if not my best friend is 1 of the top 2 credited (i think that's the word) PGA Pro's in Washington state.. It is my understanding the other is a gal on the west side in Seattle..
Any way...  many of us flew to LasVegas for my wedding & my Pro set up 2 rounds for us while we were down there..
We played all 27 holes at Badlands & 18 hole at Piute (Wolf Course which is the longest course in Nevada)
Not only did he get us great tee times.. We were treaded like someone really special at both locations..
Not only did my Pro do me a great favor.. But the other Pro's from the 2 above courses seemed proud & honored that of all the courses available.. We chose to play there..

I don't believe either course is hard to get onto to.. But it was nice to be treated that way because of how everything was set up..

MY .02

Edited by Not Far From Par, 19 April 2012 - 11:52 AM.

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5* HZRDUS T800
Titleist 915FD 15* Aldila Rogue Black
Titleist 915FD 18* Diamana Red
PING i20 4-U Green Dot +5/8" PXI 6.0 SS1x
Callaway MD3 54* & SM7 60*
Scotty Select Golo

Don't worry Ron... I still own the 5-wood.... It's up on the mantle doing it's best impression of wall art

#10 BNich0622

BNich0622

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87233
  • Ebay ID:BNich0622
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostBamafaninKY, on 18 April 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

I don't think it's an imposition on the pro or the other club. As long as you're not asking for multiple tee times on a Saturday morning it shouldn't be an issue.

I agree with this. The pro where I work has a great relationship with quite a few clubs and knows a lot of people in the business. He was able to get me out for a practice round at a course here in CT before my PAT. I will be writing a thank you note/letter thanking then for allowing me to use their facilities etc. which is common practice as explained by my pro. It shouldn't be that big of an issue, I just wouldn't suggest doing it time and time again.

G400 9* Motore Speeder 6.3 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 19* Ping Tour 80s
i200 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 105s
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 50*, 54* 58*
Ping Vault Arna Slate

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136468
GolfWRX Likes : 1038

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

This is actually what you are supposed to do.  It is very commonplace for pros to call other clubs for reciprocal play. It is part of the job. In no way is this an imposition.

#12 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
  • Handicap:+2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 368

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

View PostNot Far From Par, on 19 April 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

I actually just did this last month..
I am living in E.Washington, & one, if not my best friend is 1 of the top 2 credited (i think that's the word) PGA Pro's in Washington state.. It is my understanding the other is a gal on the west side in Seattle..
Any way...  many of us flew to LasVegas for my wedding & my Pro set up 2 rounds for us while we were down there..
We played all 27 holes at Badlands & 18 hole at Piute (Wolf Course which is the longest course in Nevada)
Not only did he get us great tee times.. We were treaded like someone really special at both locations..
Not only did my Pro do me a great favor.. But the other Pro's from the 2 above courses seemed proud & honored that of all the courses available.. We chose to play there..

I don't believe either course is hard to get onto to.. But it was nice to be treated that way because of how everything was set up..

MY .02

wolf is not the longest course in nevada. boulder creek coyote/desert is.

but usually this is not a problem, I have done it a few times and its nice!

#13 cherokee8215

cherokee8215

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72469
GolfWRX Likes : 527

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

My pro doesn't "advertise" it, but if you ask him, he'll make a call to another club for a member to set up a time.

I've had him do it 3 or 4 times for me over the years. Usually when I was traveling to an area across the country with mediocre public golf options. These were clubs where the pro has probably never heard of my club, let alone have a connection with our pro.

He was able to get me on to each course I wanted to play, although I was only a single who wanted to play on weekdays, not exactly peak times. I usualy had to pay the "unaccompanied guest" rate, which isn't cheap at most clubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors