Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Aldila Rip Phenom vs. Tour AD-DI

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 loop_

loop_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 158543
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

I haven't been able to find a topic on this. Any info from anybody in terms of differences in launch, spin, feel, etc.

thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Joshzilla

Joshzilla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200469
  • Ebay ID:000miracleman000
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Anybody?  Bueller?  Bueller?
Nike Covert Tour 2.0 w/ KK TiNi 60x
Taylormade SLDR TP 3 wood
TMag RBZT 3-PW w/ KBS Tour
Ping Tour-S 54 & 60
Taylormade Ghost Tour Daytona 12

#3 oliversax

oliversax

Advanced

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53703
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

I recently demoed the Phenom 70g stiff vs Tour AD Di 7x stiff in the 913D2 9.5 head. I hit my tee balls very high (40+ angle of descent, usually).

Caveat emptor: this was on the Titleist fitting studio's indoor monitor, not the outdoor Trackman, so anything after 5yds is a guess.

AD Di - shaft was stable, firm but not boardy. I can definitely feel that it was more stable than my made for Titleist Kai'li 73g (tipped 1in), but the ball flight was lower with the AD Di by just a little bit. Spin was 200rpm or so less with the AD Di vs the Kai'li.

Phenom - shaft felt more responsive than the AD Di, not as firm, but much smoother than the RIP 60 (which always feels like a 2x4 to me). However, spin was 500rpm lower than my Kai'li, launch angle was noticeably lower than Kai'li, just a smidge lower than the AD Di, and the dispersion was much tighter than the AD Di.  I was able to generate higher swingspeeds (+2-4mph) without spraying balls all over the map.

Both shafts were better performers than my made for Titleist Kai'li, but the Phenom performed better for my swing vs the AD Di: smoother, softer, less spin, lower launch, tighter dispersion, and most importantly.... $130 for Phenom vs $320 for AD Di.

Here's my original post on these shafts:
http://www.golfwrx.c...60#entry5973235

I'm hoping to get same results outdoors and in the real world as on the sim.  Consider calling a local private club that has Titleist/Ping/Taylor fitting carts so you can demo bf you buy. Otherwise, it's just a guess. Good luck with your search.

#4 Joshzilla

Joshzilla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200469
  • Ebay ID:000miracleman000
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

View Postoliversax, on 26 November 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

I recently demoed the Phenom 70g stiff vs Tour AD Di 7x stiff in the 913D2 9.5 head. I hit my tee balls very high (40+ angle of descent, usually).

Caveat emptor: this was on the Titleist fitting studio's indoor monitor, not the outdoor Trackman, so anything after 5yds is a guess.

AD Di - shaft was stable, firm but not boardy. I can definitely feel that it was more stable than my made for Titleist Kai'li 73g (tipped 1in), but the ball flight was lower with the AD Di by just a little bit. Spin was 200rpm or so less with the AD Di vs the Kai'li.

Phenom - shaft felt more responsive than the AD Di, not as firm, but much smoother than the RIP 60 (which always feels like a 2x4 to me). However, spin was 500rpm lower than my Kai'li, launch angle was noticeably lower than Kai'li, just a smidge lower than the AD Di, and the dispersion was much tighter than the AD Di.  I was able to generate higher swingspeeds (+2-4mph) without spraying balls all over the map.

Both shafts were better performers than my made for Titleist Kai'li, but the Phenom performed better for my swing vs the AD Di: smoother, softer, less spin, lower launch, tighter dispersion, and most importantly.... $130 for Phenom vs $320 for AD Di.

Here's my original post on these shafts:
http://www.golfwrx.c...60#entry5973235

I'm hoping to get same results outdoors and in the real world as on the sim.  Consider calling a local private club that has Titleist/Ping/Taylor fitting carts so you can demo bf you buy. Otherwise, it's just a guess. Good luck with your search.

Great info, thank you!
Nike Covert Tour 2.0 w/ KK TiNi 60x
Taylormade SLDR TP 3 wood
TMag RBZT 3-PW w/ KBS Tour
Ping Tour-S 54 & 60
Taylormade Ghost Tour Daytona 12

#5 Stetson

Stetson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199816
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

I agree with the last review but with a concession.  I used the DI6x verse the Phenom 70x.  The phenom felt smoother, and had a noticeable kick, flew lower as well.  The DI launches incredibly high, too high.  The Phenom was more controllable and the weight felt better at 70 grams.  However, the DI was 15-20 yards longer for me personally.  I have no LM numbers, but I believe the DI must have been lower spin to generate the distance gap.  I am playing the Phenom, and am going to try the Tour Spec next week.

Titleist 913 D3 (Speeder 757)
Adams Tight Lies (Speeder 7.2 TS)
Callaway XTour 18* (Stock)
Bridgestone J40 CB 3-PW (Aerotech SF)
Mack Daddy 2 - 52* & 60*

#6 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91668
GolfWRX Likes : 1561

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

The two were comparable for me in terms of launch, spin, and feel (surprisingly), but the DI had higher ball speeds overall.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro 8.5*, GD DI-7x
TEE CB5 15*, Fujikura Rombax P95
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 18*, GD DI-85x
TEE CB Pro-H 3i, Callaway X-Prototypes
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
WITB Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors