Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Calling all Parents of Junior Girls

170 replies to this topic

#121 HenB0gan

HenB0gan

Hook 'Em Horns

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 172825
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

View PostJBirdUt, on 07 October 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

Daughter just shot 1 under in her U.S kids local, from 1900 yards.  She birdied four of the first six holes.  She had one bogie and one double.  The rest of the holes were pars.  This betters her best round by five stokes.  It was great watching her play at a level I wish I could play at.  It was great to see all her practicing pay off.
She will play in the Desert Shootout, in Phoenix, this next February.

Congratulations

Nike Covert Tour 9.5* Kuro Kage 60X
Nike Covert Tour 3 FW 15* Kura Kage 70X
Titleist 712U 2i w/ DG X100
Titleist 690.mb 3-PW w/ DG X100
Titleist SM 56* Callaway Forged Raw 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#122 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

View PostJBirdUt, on 07 October 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

Daughter just shot 1 under in her U.S kids local, from 1900 yards.  She birdied four of the first six holes.  She had one bogie and one double.  The rest of the holes were pars.  This betters her best round by five stokes.  It was great watching her play at a level I wish I could play at.  It was great to see all her practicing pay off.
She will play in the Desert Shootout, in Phoenix, this next February.

Man that's great.  How old is she?  My kid started at 10, but I wish I started her just a bit younger.  

It's quite a balancing act parenting a junior golfer.  You want them to keep up with it and not miss critical development of their game during these formative years, but you don't want to drive them away from it or make it seem like a job either.  My 13 year old loves the game, but I can see that she has lost a little of her motivation and drive to practice because it is more important (to her) to "hang out" with her friends, rather than go to the golf course with dad.  

Speaking with parents of other junior girls it seems like there is a hump to get over between ages 12-16.  A lot of hormones and emotions make it quite the roller coaster ride.  Rare is the kid with a singular focus to improve who is willing to make the sacrifices it takes (like missing a weekend party, etc) to rise to a high competitive level.

#123 JBirdUt

JBirdUt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180076
  • Ebay ID:J.r.1968
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

My daughter is 11,  she started going to the range with me when she was 5.  Grandpa is a retired golf superintendent, so between the two of us she has been exposed all her life.  She didn't start playing in the U.S. Kids until early last year.

One of the organizations she has been involved with (LPGA girls golf) is striving to have girls continue on into their teens.  They acknowledge a large number of young ladies stop playing around thirteen.  Hopefully, with the success she's had she'll continue on.  Of course, Grandpa likes to play her a quarter a hole and so far they are essentially even.

#124 dkothari

dkothari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2