Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Calling all Parents of Junior Girls

170 replies to this topic

#1 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 555

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Hello all.  I am the father of a 13 year old (7th grade) girl.  She is a good little junior player, having competed for the past three seasons in US Kids, Optimist, and some local tour events with decent success.  I started this thread so dads, moms, and perhaps even some kids, could talk about their experiences with regard to girl's golf.  Things like introductions to the game, instruction, equipment, tournaments, keeping them motivated, challenges, avoiding common pitfalls, college choices, and generally all things girl's junior golf.

The reason I think this thread will be of some value is that I have found the process quite challenging.  Information, particularly from people who have been down this road, seems hard to come by.  I suppose that is largely because, relative to many other sports, there just aren't that many young girls who truly play golf.  The world of girl's junior golf is also quite different than that of the boys juniors, also due largely to sheer numbers.

I would bet that some of the golf related experiences I have been through with my daughter will be of value to parents of younger girls.  I am also confident that there are plenty of GolfWRXers who have been through the process of raising junior girl golfers, and will soon be, or have since, sent them off to college.  Since mine has just become a teenager, I am hoping that perhaps I can learn something.  In any event, having a daughter to share in my love and enthusiasm for this great game is truly a blessing, and I feel very lucky.

So, tell us all about raising your junior player...feel free to brag, post swing videos, discuss milestones, provide advice, or ask any question of me you like.

Edited by dpb5031, 12 April 2012 - 02:24 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 555

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

ok...no takers so far...lol.  I suppose this illustrates my point that the girl's junior golf community is pretty small!  

Perhaps if I ask the first question it will spark some conversation.  My daughter is signed up for an IJGT tournament this weekend.  We have never participated on this tour.  It is very expensive to enter, but they play at some premium venues, have decent participation in the girls division (which can sometimes be an issue), and the tour seems very well organized and professional.

What are opinions of the IJGT?  Is it worth the money?  As a 7th grader, my kid is the youngest in the field of 20 girls.  Is she in over her head?

#3 sggreen

sggreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153481
  • Ebay ID:sggreen_17
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Ok, I'll bite.  Father of a 17, wait 18 year old today.  IJGT is very expensive.  There are many Junior Tours around for the girls to play in.  In the Midwest we have PJGT, Golfweek Tour, MAJGT, AJGA, and many local events.  Another great tour that many of the East Coast players participate in during the winter is the Peggy Kirk Bell out of the Carolina's.  Most of these tours are easy to get into except for AJGA.  It takes some time to get accepted in most of their tournaments.  If you are looking to just get her tournament experience she doesn't have to play in the most expensive/competitive tournaments.  If exposure to college coaches is the plan then she needs to play in multiple day events in order to get ranked on the Junior Golf Scoreboard, Golfweek, and AJGA Polo ranking.

When my daughter decided that golf was her sport and she gave up basketball, volleyball, softball, and all the others that kids try we put her with a swing coach.  He has been working with her since 7th grade.  It has been a long process but as she has grown physically and mentally her game has too.  She had many offers coming out of high school and will be playing college golf this fall.

The great thing about girls junior golf is that you will see the same girls at many of the tournaments and they build lasting friendships.  As in every other sport you will see that there are physco dads in this sport too.  It's fun to sit back and watch them living and dying on every shot.