Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Which long driver? Geek or Krank?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98548
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:16 AM

Been toying with the idea of a long distance driver, if such a title is appropriate.

There are many drivers advertised as such, but I am not familiar with them other than a brief online search. Never used one, but curious. These are used in many of the long drive contest. Seems they are known for low spin among other things. A reflection of the head design, again, something I don't know a ton about. In searching, two names come up more than any other, Krank and Geek.

Anyone familiar with them? Have an opinion on which one to go with. For my swing speed, likely looking at stiff shaft. As for my skill level, likely looking for a 45-47" shaft. I am looking for something fun, but also something that I could take to the course. Would be great to add 10-20 yards to my tee shots (of course). Figured a long distance driver may be worth trying.

-Dan

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 SparkyC

SparkyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86836
  • Ebay ID:mfcullen
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Not sure if you play Miura or are just a fan but what an anomaly it would be to see a guy playing Miura irons and a Geek driver.

#3 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

I will play what ever worksPosted Image

Love my Miura irons and wedges. Been hitting Callaway drivers for 15 years. Most recently, a FT-iZ. Very nice driver and I am finding more fairways. But got thinking lately and was curious about these "LD" drivers. At a local golf shop this morning I found a used Geek Dot Com This 9 deg with regular flex shaft. Bombed some balls at the range, but wasn't striking the face in middle as often as I would like. Flex of the shaft is too soft. Driver is different than what I am used to. But still, the ball came off HOT. Will be playing it tomorrow and curious to see what it does on the course. Even today at the range I could see a lower trajectory shot that rolled out a ton after it landed. Will be eager to see it perform on a golf course. And yes, it would be an odd bag that includes a set of Miura's and a $40 driver. But like I said, what ever works. ha ha...

-Dan

#4 SpinMill75

SpinMill75

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66455
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

I would get in touch with Selingers Power Golf...All they do is LDA stuff and they know their stuff.

#5 ProjectX

ProjectX

Fore Aces Golf Club Board Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50236
  • Ebay ID:SlanginT1s
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

I've played both and Geek is a much higher quality piece of equipment. I have cracked 3 Krank El Diablo drivers in the past and have yet to break a Geek DCT.

TBA Fubuki 63X
RBZ Stage 2 Tour TP 14.5* Fubuki 73X
Anser 17* Fubuki 415X
ZTX-2 3-P KBS Tour X
588 Custom RTG 54 & 60 KBS Tour X
Metal X #7

#6 boon44

boon44

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 606 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20788
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

The Geek DCT is one of the best/hottest heads I've ever hit.  I own a 9* with a limited edition color Graman shaft in it and a 10.5* with a House of Forged LD shaft.  I've hit the Aplha's and the Krank and the DCT is better than them for sure.  Low spin head that will fly a little lower than the stated lofts.  Very square face on them as well.  Buy the used one you found and play around with it and then drop another shaft in it if you need to.  Bombs Away!

#7 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

What shaft would you suggest. Generally speaking, is there a particular shaft or two that is low spin, lower/mid trajectory, etc.. I know jack about shafts. Looking for a 46-46.5" shaft. Don't know my swing speed, but drives go about 240-250 on average. If I hit it good and go after it, maybe 275-280 a time or two per round. Got the driver used for $40 so I don't want to put a ton of money into the shaft. Nor would my current skill level justify it. Perhaps something in the $70-130 range would work. Any ideas?

-Dan

#8 Myherobobhope

Myherobobhope

hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138522
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

View Postdanattherock, on 11 April 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

What shaft would you suggest. Generally speaking, is there a particular shaft or two that is low spin, lower/mid trajectory, etc.. I know jack about shafts. Looking for a 46-46.5" shaft. Don't know my swing speed, but drives go about 240-250 on average. If I hit it good and go after it, maybe 275-280 a time or two per round. Got the driver used for $40 so I don't want to put a ton of money into the shaft. Nor would my current skill level justify it. Perhaps something in the $70-130 range would work. Any ideas?

-Dan

Get a 55 gram pink NV shaft from Aldila closeout for $19.

www.aldilastore.com

I think it comes 46, so after trimming, you'd probably end up with a 46" driver.

#9 nova6868

nova6868

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140033
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Are there any tests to show if any of these LD heads are actually any longer (hotter) than OEM heads? I know fitting is important, but I'm just wondering if there has been any somewhat objective testing done.

#10 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

I had an objective test today.

Played a tough local course and played the DCT and Titleist Velocity (distance) ball on the front nine.

Played my Callaway FT-iZ and Srixon Q star on the back nine.

Shot 57 on the front nine and 41 on the back ninePosted Image

Joking of course. On the first tee I killed one with the Geek DCT. But after that, I was losing it waaaay right quite often. The regular flex shaft is a big problem. Looking at dropping another shaft in the DCT before passing too much judgement. But what little I could tell today, yes, the head is hotter. Just misses everything 60 yards right. ha ha....

-Dan

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 BPinNC

BPinNC

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88344
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:25 AM

I have a DCT driver and 3w and couldn't be happier.  The combo I see most is a DCT House of Forged Patriot, nice little mid launch mid/low spin setup with that syrupy soft feel everyone besides me seems to love. If you want something to beat on you could do something similar to mine (RIP Alpha). For a good cheap low launch combo at 100$ or less... PL Red, Motore F1, RIP Alpha, Grafalloy Blue(my next DCT build), Graphite Design Aura Red or a GD Throttle.
VR Pro Ltd. 8.5* RIP Alpha 60X
VR Pro Ltd. 15* RIP Alpha 80X
HALO 19* RIP Alpha 105X
VR forged Procombo DG Pro X100 3-pw
588 RTX 52.10/58.08 DG S400
Cleveland T-Frame 35"

#12 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for the input. I got a SK Lite Revolution put in the DCT yesterday. It is a stiff flex and 46" long. Looking forward to giving it a try on my next day off. This was the only shaft the guy had that was new and could be used for a 46" driver. Most the other shafts, some higher end, were pull outs. I wanted to try this driver at 46". Will see how it works out. A cheap experiment if nothing else. Got the DCT for $40 and the shaft with labor was $100. Don't know anything about this shaft. It was all the guy had. A no name brand? I had never heard of it. Will see.

Dan

#13 BPinNC

BPinNC

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88344
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Ha I've got one of those too except mine is the Rev. version 2.  IIRC the V1 was a slightly higher kick slightly stiffer tip and the V2 more of a mid profile. Couple years back I bought a driver for the head and thats what was in it. SK used to be popular with component builders because a lot of their shafts had very long parallel tip sections so builders could dial in CPM matching very easily. Not sure if the company is still around or not.
VR Pro Ltd. 8.5* RIP Alpha 60X
VR Pro Ltd. 15* RIP Alpha 80X
HALO 19* RIP Alpha 105X
VR forged Procombo DG Pro X100 3-pw
588 RTX 52.10/58.08 DG S400
Cleveland T-Frame 35"

#14 mesquite2

mesquite2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48895
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

LD heads have to be submitted to the USGA for COR testing just like any OEM head & when ( if ) a club makes it to the Remax World Championship they are tested again for CT. The LDA tries their best to keep " hotter " clubheads out of the competition. There are always a few heads disallowed at Worlds.

#15 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• 8,627 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 532

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

In that head, Aldila'a Longwood worked good for me as a cheap option. A GD Throttle works in it at a not as cheap option. I'd like to try a HOF in it, but don't want to drop that kind of coin on a scramble club lol.

#16 mesquite2

mesquite2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

First of all, an "LD" head is no "hotter" than any other head, they too must be sent to the USGA for COR testing. The Geek DCT is a very low spinning head & except for long drive competitors who use as low as a 3.2* DCT head, most regular players go up a little in loft. Geek is a lot less cost than Krank which is also a very fine head. All the component companies that compete in LD make the majority of their money from selling to the general public, so they all make higher lofted heads, they are not just LD companies. At Remax Worlds, all drivers are CT tested & those that fail are taken by the LDA until competition is over, there are no hot heads unless they are illegal, which means a thinner face, which in the hands of a real long driver wouldn't last 5 swings. The misconception is that  by getting a "LD" head you will automatically gain distance, this is not always the case. A longer shaft may help, LD'ers can use up to a 48" shaft, again USGA limit, but not all do, start with a longer shaft & work your way down to a length that works for you.

#17 InfamousGolfHoles

InfamousGolfHoles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114942
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

I had both a Geek DCT and a Krank Rage with HOF great white shafts. the Krank when hit pure was further but it is really hard to hit the tiny sweet
spot, the Geek was more playable, bigger sweet spot easy to hit and control i can get crazy roll with a power fade. I traded in my Krank after much frustration with it.

That said i am now using a RBZ with a HOF great white shaft and i'm loving it.

#18 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 215

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

I have a krank rage black and it is a good head in my opinion. But I think they are all comparable.

#19 juddbo

juddbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78836
  • Ebay ID:bamacheats

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

I play Krank.  I've had Geek, gave it to my brother.  There's a reason Krank is dominating the LDA at the moment and Geek is in the background.

I only buy the Krank heads though, I never have liked the stock shafts they provide, even their tour upgrade.

Agree with the small sweet spot though.  But man, when you hit that sweet spot!

#20 mesquite2

mesquite2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

What reason is that?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Markboots

Markboots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191632

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

I have the Krank Rage and the BOM.  Hands done I like the Krank better (both have the Jamie shaft).  The look, the feel and the sound is great.  I am not a big fan of the BOM design.  I had no problem hitting the sweetspot so not sure about the post above saying there is a small sweet spot because I was finding the middle of the club.  The issue I have with the Krank is I am losing it way left (I am left handed).  I have to tee the ball WAY up in my stance past my front foot.  I have to get used it.  I assume it is because of the square face angle.  My encore driver is a -1 but Krank is square.  I was hitting some real bananas at the start of the round (but still getting a lot of distance despite the slice).  Later on I hit one drive around 320 with at least a 30 yard slice (50 yards past my buddies).  Once I figure out the ball position this club is going to be awesome.  Until then fore left!!
Probably did not help I took the brand new club to the golfcourse with no practice at the range.  I play a Jamie XX shaft from HOF in the Krank which I can't say enough good things about HOF shafts as I have 3 Jamie shafts (one Krank, BOM and Encore - no longer entertain other shafts) and the combination is awesome.  Just be careful if you are switching from an offset to a square face angle.  I never remember reading that anywhere and would have appreciated the heads up.
I only hit the Bang o matic in a simulator and was not hitting it to the left.  I probably need to hit them both in the same conditions to say for sure but I would be very surprised that with my swing the BOM can have better numbers.
Maybe I was just swinging too hard... :rolleyes:

#22 nacho

nacho

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185164
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Nike baby

#23 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 561

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hammer love

#24 nacho

nacho

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185164
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Hammer hahaha pow

#25 ROBOPTI

ROBOPTI

Major Winner

• 2,391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15525
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

NO BRAINER ... KRANK

Call Krank .. Ask for Vinnie ... Tell him ROBO said Hi and pick you out a good head ;)

The Adams stuff at LDA is pretty damn good too

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors