Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Taylormade RBZ irons review

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83989
  • Handicap:17.1
GolfWRX Likes : 994

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

First a very brief "about me".  I've been playing golf since 2007.  Have always been a "blade" guy.  I am a much stronger iron player than a driver/fairway player.  I think I get average distances with my irons.  PW goes about 135-145 yards and my 7 iron is used for 165-175 yard shots.  Driver swing speed is about 105-110 mph.  After using the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, I was told I needed a soft stepped x100, or PX 6.5 flighted, or PX 6.0, or KBS X-stiff (6 iron swing speed was 92 mph).  Ever since then I have slowed down a little bit due to stiff back and have adopted a more compact swing so i decided to go with s300's or shafts in stiff flex.  Off the tee is my weakest part of the game and putting and irons are my strongest.  Wedge game is decent, continually getting better but still experimenting with ball placement and wedge set up.

So here I am, just before the start of the golfing season and I have no irons.  I had a set of Mizuno MP68 irons with x100 shafts, but lets be honest, I'm getting older and I'm not playing as much as I used to.  The x100s were just too much and the blades were starting to punish me for every mishit.  So I decided to go all out, pick up a set that I really wanted.  I tried the following irons out:  TM Burner 2.0 (black finish), RBZ irons, Nike Machspeed irons, and Nike VR Pro Cavity.  I'll keep the summary short when I tried all these irons out at Dick's Sporting Goods.  

-The Burner 2.0 irons were actually really good.  I was caught by surprise to be honest.  Topline was  thicker than I was used to, the sole width was not as bad as I thought, and the cavity was not visible in the scoring irons.  Felt pretty good, was a little more muted than I am used to, but over all not bad.  Tested out a 7 iron with the stock shaft.  I forgot what the numbers were but yardage was at 197.  (I know I know, the LM is pretty jacked up and the lofts on the Burner 2.0 is jacked as well).  The good thing was that I was able to hit my stock shot, a small fade.

-Next were the Nike Machspeeds.  Topline was the largest of the group and the sole as well.  I tried the stock shaft in stiff flex and it just felt wrong.  Very whippy and way too light.  It did not feel stable and I was hitting shots very high.  Distance with a 7 iron was around 175 with a high launch angle.  Very busy cavity which I did not mind too much.  Even though they were forgiving, the Machspeeds were not for me.

-Next up were the VR Pro Cavity irons.  The thinnest topline and sole of the bunch.  Good looking set of irons, cavity was not too busy and had the least amount of offset.  Hit them with the stock stiff flex.  Average distance with the 7 iron was around 183 yards.  Good feel, sets up great and was workable.  However, toe hits were punished much more than the other irons.  Distance loss was a good 15-25 yards.  If my game was consistently on, these would be a top contender for my bag.

-Finally, the RBZ irons.  I thought that these were pretty much Burner 3.0's.  Boy was I wrong.  The scoring irons were a tad smaller than the Burner 2.0 irons and the longer irons had more offset and the 4,5 irons were an extreme cavity back/hybrid fusion.  They were clunky but confidence inspiring.  A good amount of offset all the way until the 7 iron.  The 9, PW, and AW look great with minimal offset.  I hit the 7 iron with the stock steel shaft in stiff flex and I was getting some balls over 200 yards.  Average was around 198 with about 5 or 6 balls going around 203.  Feel was better, not as good as the VR Pro Cavity, but good.  I was completely surprised by these.

"RBZ, I choose, YOU!!!!!!!!"  (sorry that was my dorky pokemon parody)

I initially went with the Burner 2.0 but then was offered a good deal for the RBZ and it was a deal I could not pass up.  I ordered them stock everything with s300 shafts.  

Ok, lets get to the meat of this review:

Pros: -Distance crazy, easily 1 to 1.5 club lengths longer
           -Forgiving, this iron wants to go straight
           -Scoring irons look great with less offset and long irons are confidence inspiring
           -Brushed finish reduces glare
           -Cavity is not as busy as you would think
           -Did I say these irons are LONG?

Cons:   -Some may not like the like look or may think the Burner 2.0's look better
           -Not as workable as other GI irons
           -Distance obsessed focus of RBZ irons may turn off better players who want more distance control and workability
           -Rocketballz...yes the name is silly
           -Long irons will turn off some.  Either go with a hybrid setup or go with the looks of a more conventional long iron

Bottom Line:
These are and will be longer than your current irons.  If you're looking for something with maximum workability and ball flight control, you might wanna look elsewhere.  If you want to have shorter irons on your approaches, with a great amount of forgiveness, are not too concerned with hitting Bubba Watson type shots that fade and then draw 80 yards each way, these irons are for you, or at the very least, a MUST TRY!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Look: I will be the first to admit, I thought the RBZ irons before having them in hand, looked horrible.  The brushed finished with green?  Really?  Come on TM, you can do better than that.  Maybe the black finish of the Burner 2.0 with the green?  But when I demoed them at the store and finally got my custom set in my hands, I'm starting to fall in love with them more and more.  The finish and green colorway will grow on you, give it time.  The short/scoring irons look great.  Less offset and they look smaller (very slightly) than the Burner 2.0's.  Topline is about average in terms of other GI irons.  Sole is also average in size compared to other GI irons.  

The long irons does take some time to get used to, especially the 4 and 5 irons.  They are huge...i mean HUGE!  It's almost as if Taylormade seems like they wanted to make it a hybrid/iron combo set but decided to add extra weight in the back and extend the cavity to add  forgiveness and allow players to get the ball in the air a lot quicker.  

Overall, while not the best looking or traditional irons in the market, they do look good.  Topline is confidence inspiring, the sole is not as chunky as you would think, and the progressive offset does what its supposed to do.  The brushed finish reduced glare when I was out on the course on this sunny day in my area.  

Score: B

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Performance
:  This is where the magic happens, where the RBZ irons truly shine.  I'm a digger and when I played my Mizuno MP68s, my divots would be pretty deep.  The thin sole was digging too much even though I was getting good contact and at times caused my wrists to have some pain.  After teeing off on a short par 4 (the course I played was 9 holes, mainly par 3's with 3 par 4's averaging less than 300 yards), I was left with a 165 yard approach shot.  I took a couple of practice swings and hit my approach.  The first thing I immediately noticed was the lack of a huge piece of grass flying in front of me.  The divot was not deep, just a nice small piece missing grass.  I dropped another ball and hit again.  Same result...a normal sized divot without the 1 foot deep divot I'm used to.  The first ball went dead straight which ended up being on the left side as I was playing a fade.  I was pin high but again, left.  2nd ball was a low screamer but was surprised to see that it was on the green about 35 feet from the hole.  Didnt want to get too excited but things were getting interesting fast.  The raised center of the sole was definitely helping me with my problem of taking too much of a divot and digging.  It'll take me some time to get used to, but once I get over the mental hurdle, I can see these doing really well.  2nd hole was a short par 3, about 100 yards.  I took the gap wedge, choked down about to the end of the grip where the shaft starts, and hit a nice half swing.  Ball flight was nice and controlled, spin was a one hop and stop, and was pin high, left side.  What was interesting is that the RBZ wedges have the ATV sole that will be on the upcoming TM wedges.  If they are any indication of whats to come, then I will definitely be trying or buying a 54* and possibly a 60*.  I did not use a tee for my shot and just hit it off the deck.  Again, divot was minimal, the ball was struck in the middle of the club face.  The sole did a good job of adjusting to the tee box as it was not flat and there were some patchy spots.  I dropped another ball and again, hit the same shot.  Same results once again, about 1 yard short and to the right this time.  Looked at the club face and saw that it was off the toe.  I have problems with toe shots and the RBZ irons do a great job of forgiving toe mis-hits.  Throughout the rest of the round, I was hitting it decent.  Had a good amount of skulls and thinned shots.  But what was amazing was that I was always close to the green if not on the green.  Toe and heel shots were only a couple of yards short of the green and didnt venture off too far from the center.  I hit one bad heel shot and all it did was draw about 10 yards.  A bad shot by my standard but at least I was not in the trees to the left or worse.  The best shot of the day was the last hole.  It was about 229 yards, par 4 with water to the left, cars to the back of the green, and trees/water to the right.  I take out a 5 iron to lay up.  Got a little too aggressive and thinned it once again.  I pulled it slightly and it started to fade back to the center of the green but the ball just kept going.  It finally landed just before the green and rolled up to 12 feet past the hole.  Not bad at all for a skulled shot!  2 putted for birdie but I needed to try the irons out more.  Decided to get a large bucket and hit the gap wedge, 8 iron, 7 iron, 4 and 5 iron.  At first I was having some trouble adjusting to the RBZ irons.  Again, I've played mainly blades or players cavities and the RBZ in my eyes were a completely different animal.  But after I warmed up, I was getting much better contact.  I aimed for the 157 yard flag and fired away with my 8 iron.  Hit a nice fade and landed just a little short and rolled slightly past the marker.  I repeated a couple more times and same result.  I purposely hit a couple off the toe and though it was a little more to the right, I was still just a couple of yards short of the 157 yard marker.  The RBZ irons are really forgiving which is something I've been looking for.  I decided to go after a couple and ended hitting them past the 157 yard marker by a good deal.  I aimed for a 175 yard flag and saw my ball land a little short and roll up just short of the flag.  The RBZ irons are LONG gentlemen (and ladies).  They are long!  I dont know how much more I can state that, but they are LONG!!!!!!!  I know some people are not concerned about that, but if I can have a 7 or 8 iron for an approach instead of hitting a 5 or 6 iron, I'll take that any day.  The s300 shafts did a good job with controlling the ball flight and kept it to a good height.  Knockdown shots are very much doable.  One last thing, there was a 210 yard flag and I decided to go for it with the 5 iron.  Yup, hit several balls around the flag with a nice tight dispersion.  

Overall, the RBZ irons PERFORM.  Do not look past these irons.  Plain and simple as that.  Get a shaft you're comfortable with and give these heads a try.  I promise you, you will not be disappointed!

Score:  A

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Feel:   Coming from forged irons and having played Miura and Mizunos, I came into this knowing that these will probably not feel as good.  They are a cast iron and as I expected, mishits were muted and flushed shots felt good, though not as good as a forged iron.  Though the feel on most shots are muted, if you hit one on the toe, you will feel it enough to give you some feedback, not much, but just enough.  The overall feel in terms of weight is good.  The club is not too head heavy or not too light.  Its a nice blend and in between where I like my clubs to feel.  Again, the feel is not disappointing but it doesnt exceed a nice set of forged irons.  Again, just a personal opinion.  

Score: B-

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Overall Bottom Line:
  In conclusion, even though I just had 9 holes and one range session with the RBZ irons, I can tell that I will like them.  Sure they may not be as sexy as a Mizuno, Titleist, or Miura forging, but they perform where they need to: in forgiveness and distance category.  My shots were easily 1 to almost 2 club lengths longer than usual and dispersion was surprisingly good.  Ball flight with the right shaft can be kept down for those windy days or for those knockdown shots where you want to control spin.  The looks of the irons are growing on me, though I still would have liked to see a black finish with the RBZ green graphics, now that would have matched my bag theme perfectly.  If you're looking for the best set of feeling irons ever, look elsewhere.  If you're looking for the sexiest irons ever, or for a thin topline traditional iron, look elsewhere.  But if you want an iron set that performs, forgives bad toe and heel hits, and offers great distance increases, then give the RBZ a try, better yet, demo them or buy them.  I promise you, you will be surprised in how well these irons perform.  

I know the name of "Rocketballz" may turn you off, but I truly believe they are called that because they really do "rocket" off the face.  I have never seen such huge increases in distance in my irons and again, if I can have a 7 or 8 iron instead of a 5 or 6 as my approach, I'll take that any day.

Overall Score: A-/B+

Edited by ionakana511, 05 April 2012 - 11:37 PM.

Jetspeed/Optiforce
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Cobra Bio Cell
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Nej1140

Nej1140

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131057
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

Honestly I love them, but hate the 4 and 5 iron.... Switched it with my old 4 iron and im loving life!!

#3 Dscvrr St Louis

Dscvrr St Louis

#CALLAWRX 12/12/12

• 3,729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105250
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 478

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

Great write up...!! At the GG I work at, I had fun the other day and put the CTAPER X flex in the RBZ 6 iron head and had a few swings...this is my stock shaft in my gamers, so I know my gamer goes about 190 on a striped 6 iron for me...the RBZ, same shaft, goes about 203...and dead straight with a nice mid trajectory..easy to freaking hit and in the KBS feels just fine to me!  
Great information in the review...like we were along playing with you that day..thanks for taking the time and showing it is okay to just play something more forgiving!!

:partytime2::drinks:
Big Bertha Alpha, Veylix Rome Wildeye
Big Bertha 15&18 Motore Speeder 8.1x
Apex UT 18*, Ctaper Lite 115X
Apex 4,5/Apex Pro 6-G Ctaper S+
Odyssey Versa #6 & MXM #6
Callaway MD2 52,54,58 Ctaper S+

#4 onlyonfridays

onlyonfridays

Awesome.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37928
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

RBZ 3 iron - 17.5*
RBZ 4 iron - 20*
RBZ 5 iron - 23*
RBZ 6 iron - 26.5*
RBZ 7 iron - 30.5*

These clubs are almost all one club stronger on loft compared to other irons.

#5 oO J4M3S Oo

oO J4M3S Oo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162889
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:21 AM

onlyonfridays, on 06 April 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

RBZ 3 iron - 17.5*
RBZ 4 iron - 20*
RBZ 5 iron - 23*
RBZ 6 iron - 26.5*
RBZ 7 iron - 30.5*

And I'm pretty sure the shaft lengths are a tiny bit longer

#6 tbowles411

tbowles411

Ryder.Cup.

• 19,015 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1916

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

Great job bro! Now we can go play now that you have new sticks! :D

#7 tbowles411

tbowles411

Ryder.Cup.

• 19,015 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1916

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

oO J4M3S Oo, on 06 April 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

RBZ 3 iron - 17.5*
RBZ 4 iron - 20*
RBZ 5 iron - 23*
RBZ 6 iron - 26.5*
RBZ 7 iron - 30.5*

But if they're fit, the length won't matter.

#8 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

• 4,797 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

Nej1140, on 05 April 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

Honestly I love them, but hate the 4 and 5 iron.... Switched it with my old 4 iron and im loving life!!

Yeah, I can see where the looks of the 4 and 5 iron might make people look elsewhere.  I wanted to give them a fair chance and will keep playing them to see if the looks start to creep in my head.  So far so good plus they really do look like they are super easy to hit!
Jetspeed/Optiforce
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Cobra Bio Cell
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

#9 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

• 4,797 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

Dscvrr St Louis, on 06 April 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

Great write up...!! At the GG I work at, I had fun the other day and put the CTAPER X flex in the RBZ 6 iron head and had a few swings...this is my stock shaft in my gamers, so I know my gamer goes about 190 on a striped 6 iron for me...the RBZ, same shaft, goes about 203...and dead straight with a nice mid trajectory..easy to freaking hit and in the KBS feels just fine to me!  
Great information in the review...like we were along playing with you that day..thanks for taking the time and showing it is okay to just play something more forgiving!!

:partytime2::drinks:

Thanks!! Yeah, I think if you put the right shaft for the RBZ heads, these will work and will give any GI iron out there a run for its money.  I know the C Tapers are supposed to have the KBS feel but with lower launch and feel so I think they would be a great compliment to the RBZ irons.  Have you tried out the new PXI shafts?  I've been a DG guy but have wanted to try these out for a while...maybe once I get the swing dialed in a little more I'll check out other shafts.  

And yes, I had to check the ego a little bit....lol.  I've shot my best scores with blades but have noticed that they were too few and too far apart when I did.  When I had GI irons, noticed that my scores were more consistent and I wasnt scrambling as much.  

Let me know if you try the RBZ heads with the PXI shafts!  I would love to get more info!  :partytime2:
Jetspeed/Optiforce
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Cobra Bio Cell
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

#10 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

• 4,797 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

oO J4M3S Oo, on 06 April 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

RBZ 3 iron - 17.5*
RBZ 4 iron - 20*
RBZ 5 iron - 23*
RBZ 6 iron - 26.5*
RBZ 7 iron - 30.5*

They are stronger lofts and I knew that before I picked them up.  I knew there would be some distance gains but not as much as I actually did with them.  Also, I was choking down on the grip a good 1.5" so I'm playing them well short of TM standard as well as normal "standards" for other OEMs.  I think having the mental edge of knowing that you're playing one club shorter (despite lofts), it'll give you more confidence and put you in a position to make a good swing.  And if TM or other OEMs can make you think that hitting that iron with 5 iron lofts but stamping a 6 on it as well as making them easy to hit, you got a winner.

Jetspeed/Optiforce
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Cobra Bio Cell
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

• 4,797 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

tbowles411, on 06 April 2012 - 06:06 AM, said:

Let me know and we can figure out a day where we both can get out and hit a round or two!  I got a couple of other toys coming in soon and I definitely wanna get them out on the course!  

And yes, you were right...forgiveness is better LOL.  My youngin' ways was feeding my ego too much until I saw my score cards LOL. :russian_roulette:
Jetspeed/Optiforce
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Cobra Bio Cell
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

#12 BostonGolfer13

BostonGolfer13

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154841
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

if you're swingspeed is between 105-110 with the driver, then I have a hard time believing you average 203 with a 7 iron, albeit a strong 7 iron.  I have a driver swinspeed around 108 to 110 but I'd say my average 7 iron is about 170.

#13 Ajtothec

Ajtothec

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170840
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

That's so ridicolous. The RBZ 7 iron is almost like my 5 iron. Who cares about comparing iron length any more?

#14 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

• 4,797 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

BostonGolfer13, on 06 April 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

if you're swingspeed is between 105-110 with the driver, then I have a hard time believing you average 203 with a 7 iron, albeit a strong 7 iron.  I have a driver swinspeed around 108 to 110 but I'd say my average 7 iron is about 170.

That was on the launch monitor so I was taking it with a grain of salt.  My normal 7 iron (with s300 and blade or players cavity) is on average about 160-170 yards.  Again, I'm pretty sure that the LM was a little juiced up with some tail wind, but when I was hitting the RBZ outside on the range and on the actual course, my 8 iron was easily going over 165.  When I hit the 7 iron on the range and on the course, I used it for 180ish yards and was on or a little past so distances were pretty accurate in my opinion.

Also, again, I am a stronger iron player and hit the center of the club face more than I do with the driver.  I have hit my nike vr tw blades 8 iron 180 yards (no wind) several times so its not a stretch for me, but again, I would have to put 100% swing on it.  Now I"m concerned about making a nice 3/4 controlled swing and get it into the green.
Jetspeed/Optiforce
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Cobra Bio Cell
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

#15 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

• 4,797 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Ajtothec, on 06 April 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

That's so ridicolous. The RBZ 7 iron is almost like my 5 iron. Who cares about comparing iron length any more?

With courses getting longer and longer, the stronger lofts on irons has become the norm.  Again, this was just my review of the RBZ irons.  I'm not saying that they are better than Mizuno MP-series or any other traditional or GI or SGI irons out there.  I am saying that you might give them a chance, they will surprise you.  Thats all.

:)

Jetspeed/Optiforce
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Cobra Bio Cell
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

#16 Swingie

Swingie

Im not crying.....Im remembering with tears!

• 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1996
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

If you were his twin brother with the same irons you would have a point.....otherwise too many variables bro...including launch monitor

#17 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

• 4,797 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

Swingie, on 06 April 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

If you were his twin brother with the same irons you would have a point.....otherwise too many variables bro...including launch monitor

+1...again...I wasnt making the claim that I was hitting my 7 iron 203...I was saying that on the LM (and in the review I even said that I knew the LM was probably juiced) that I was getting higher distances compared to the irons tested so that means longer distances with the RBZ than the other clubs i tested.  It didnt matter if I hit my 7 iron 100 yards on the LM, that means it was still longer than the other clubs.
Jetspeed/Optiforce
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Cobra Bio Cell
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

#18 dtrance

dtrance

Professional Golf Enthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78426
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

I couldn't get over looking at that top line at address, as much as I want to switch back to cavities.  I was gaming the MP68s for a while, went to the AP2s and now the a12 pro.  Going to the RBZ irons has to be a big change for you.  Are you ultimately playing better with them?

#19 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

• 4,797 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

dtrance, on 06 April 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

I couldn't get over looking at that top line at address, as much as I want to switch back to cavities.  I was gaming the MP68s for a while, went to the AP2s and now the a12 pro.  Going to the RBZ irons has to be a big change for you.  Are you ultimately playing better with them?

Yeah the topline is something I am definitely not used to though I have played SGI and GI irons in the past. (Nike Slingshots, Callaway x18, x20, and x22s, Ping G10s) but in the end I realized that the forgiveness factor was much more important than the looks.  The RBZ's are a change, not extreme, but a definite change.  Its too early to say that I'm playing better with them but I am much closer to the hole with mishits and toe shots (my main problem) arent 50 yards to the right lol.  I'm gonna try to play as much as I can and see how they have affected my game.  So far so good.
Jetspeed/Optiforce
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Cobra Bio Cell
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

#20 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

• 4,797 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Played a round with the RBZs today (9 hole course played twice with short par 4's and 2 par 3s).  I didnt play well with the irons in the first 9 holes.  Didnt have time to hit the range so I started off real cold.  What ordinarily would have been slices out of bounds on the course still went right, but not so far right that I couldnt find it.  Forgiveness was still huge with the irons.  Distance was better than good, was hitting 150 yard shots with 9 iron and 160-170 yard shots with 8 iron.  I'm still getting used to the turf interaction with the soles and I realized that when I swung smoother with these irons, I tended to get better results.  I"m used to swinging a tad bit harder with the blades/players cavities I used to play but I dont get as good results if I swing like that with the RBZ irons.  Playing the 2nd round of the 9 hole course was much better.  I was much looser and my swing was getting into a better groove.  The 4 and 5 long irons were surprisingly good from the deep rough.  I hit a bad tee shot on the 2nd hole (par 4 390 yard) and left me with about 260 yards left to the hole.  I was in the deep rough in the left and took out the 4 iron.  Hit it perfect, center of the club face, and the ball had a beautiful mid trajectory with a penetrating flight.  Landed about 30 yards short of the green and had an easy chip which lead me to my first par of the day.  The clubs are starting to be easy for me to fade which is my stock shot so I'm learning the intricacies of the irons.  One of the best shots was a 195 yard approach shot that I used a 6 iron on.  Had trees to the right, a ravine about 10 yards in front of me and the ball was laying a little buried in deep rough.  I setup to hit a fade and hit it flush, just slightly right of center on the face, and watched it tower to a pretty high height, with a bit too much fade.  I checked the woods to see if I lost my ball but noticed I was about 10 yard away to the right but pin high.  Very impressed with the distance and with the ability of these clubs out of the rough.  Next shot was a 190 yard par 3.  Took out the 6 iron and set up again for a fade.  Hit a nice towering ball since there were bunkers to the right and left of the green and sloped towards both bunkers.  Again, faded too much, was about 10 yards to the right, pin high.  Easy chip over the right bunker and then 1 putt from 10 feet.  Par again.

I do notice that I have to adjust slightly to these irons but with the forgiveness and easy to hit characteristics, I'll put in the work to get used to them.  I definitely do like the added distance but what really is surprising me the most is the effectiveness of these irons out of the rough and deep rough.  They cut through the grass really well despite a thicker sole.

Will play with these irons for the rest of the season, but as of right now, these are definitely a great set of GI irons. :partytime2:

Jetspeed/Optiforce
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Cobra Bio Cell
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 755

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24083
  • Handicap:7.0
  • Ebay ID:caro1116
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

I was at a demo day on Saturday.all they had in the RBZ irons was a 6 iron, attack wedge and gap wedge. I was totally impressed with the attack and gap wedge! They had great feel, looked great behind the ball and I was just flushing them shot after shot.

The 6 iron was just ok to me, hit it good but did not wow me the way the wedges did. It has a lot of offset and just looked out of place compared to the wedges.

I can't believe I am saying this but the RBZ wedges rivaled my beloved Vokeys! :clapping:
Jet Speed TP 10.5 60G Matrix
Titleist 913FD 15* Diamana S
Callaway Razr 21* KBS Tour
AP2 710 5-p Project X 5.5
Vokey SM4 54 & 60

#22 OspreyCI

OspreyCI

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108024
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

Has anyone used the Sand or Lob RBZ's? Maybe looking for some to match my irons.
BY the way, all this talk about lofts doesn't matter, just hit the iron you need for the correct distance. These have really been working for me. Gone from TM MC's to these and my scores are liking it!
PING i25 9.5 UST Elements Chrome
Callaway XHP 15* Fubuki Ax
PING G25 20 & 23* Hyrbid
PING G25 5-UW
Murdered TM Spider
Callaway MD2's 56/60

#23 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

ionakana511, on 06 April 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

Let me know and we can figure out a day where we both can get out and hit a round or two!  I got a couple of other toys coming in soon and I definitely wanna get them out on the course!  

And yes, you were right...forgiveness is better LOL.  My youngin' ways was feeding my ego too much until I saw my score cards LOL. :russian_roulette:

Hey guys, count me in.  That is if you two TM staffers would let me join you :)   Of course I'm still playing my R9 irons, so maybe that counts, even though they aren't new.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#24 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

• 4,797 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

755, on 09 April 2012 - 05:30 AM, said:

I was at a demo day on Saturday.all they had in the RBZ irons was a 6 iron, attack wedge and gap wedge. I was totally impressed with the attack and gap wedge! They had great feel, looked great behind the ball and I was just flushing them shot after shot.

The 6 iron was just ok to me, hit it good but did not wow me the way the wedges did. It has a lot of offset and just looked out of place compared to the wedges.

I can't believe I am saying this but the RBZ wedges rivaled my beloved Vokeys! :clapping:

I would love to try out the ATV wedges coming out.  I tried to see if they were at GG but they said they wouldnt get them until a couple of weeks.  But yeah, the ATV sole is working for me.  I'd love to try them out in different lies especially the bunker and really tight lies.  If they perform there, then they'll make it into the bag.  If they dont work out, back to Vokeys for me.

OspreyCI, on 09 April 2012 - 06:56 AM, said:

Has anyone used the Sand or Lob RBZ's? Maybe looking for some to match my irons.
BY the way, all this talk about lofts doesn't matter, just hit the iron you need for the correct distance. These have really been working for me. Gone from TM MC's to these and my scores are liking it!

I'd love to hear anyone who used the SW or LW as well.  and +1 on the talks about the lofts.
Jetspeed/Optiforce
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Cobra Bio Cell
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

#25 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

• 4,797 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Carolina Golfer 2, on 09 April 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

ionakana511, on 06 April 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

Hey guys, count me in.  That is if you two TM staffers would let me join you :)   Of course I'm still playing my R9 irons, so maybe that counts, even though they aren't new.

You know you're more than welcome to join!, plus being the godfather of the MD/VA/DC thread, you have automatic lifetime membership to any outings! :drinks:

I wish I was a TM staffer lol....but right now they're putting out great products and I love how they are very active in Golfwrx and constantly have giveaways and trips to make members feel like tour players even for one day.  

Good to hear from you CG2!  I know you've been busy but hopefully we can get a couple of MD/VA/DC guys out and plan an outting someday!

Jetspeed/Optiforce
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Cobra Bio Cell
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

#26 bkends35

bkends35

Tour Sauce

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118502
  • Handicap:+1
  • Ebay ID:low_hdcp
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

RBZ 3 iron - 17.5*
RBZ 4 iron - 20*
RBZ 5 iron - 23*
RBZ 6 iron - 26.5*
RBZ 7 iron - 30.5*

My 6 IRON is 31* their 7 has less loft, longer shaft and springier face. Typical TMAG marketing. I can make my PW iron go 225...if the loft is 19*.
Callaway RFX 8.5 7M3 X
Titleist 910FD 'ahina xc5t 80x
Titleist 910H 19* GD Tour AD DI 105x
Titleist 710 MB KBS C-Taper X
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2
SM4 52/08 & SM5 58/08

#27 easyyy

easyyy

Founder & Still a Ho

• Rules Official
  • 10,671 posts
  •