Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Distance and handicaps for 14 year olds

214 replies to this topic

#211 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

Putting is 98%+ Mental.....

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,047 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
GolfWRX Likes : 24248

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

Just to give an idea about where certain peeps were at young ages, hereís a lil bit on Jack...

He took the game up at 10yo, shooting a 51 from the menís tees(they only had two sets of tees back in the day, the Mensí and Ladiesí) at Scioto CC, his home club in Columbus, Ohio, in his first 9-holes ever, Playing the ball down and in according to his father. He also would take on Scioto CC Head Pro Jack Grout, himself a Texas contemporary of Hogan and Byron Nelson, and Mr. Hrout would be Jackís life long and only coach.

At the age of 12yo, Jack won his first of FIVE CONSECUTIVE OHIO STATE JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS.

At age 13yo, the Golden Cub had a cap of +3 and bettered Par and broke 70 for the first time at the club, both coming in tournaments as at the age of 13yo lil Jackie became the youngest qualifier for the USGA US Jr. Amateur, where he survived three match play matches before falling.

At the age of 14yo, Jack won the Tri-State HS Championship, comprised of schools from Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana with a final round 68(36 hole tourney, Par 71). He also recorded his first hole-in-one that year.

At the ripe ole age of 15yo, Jack laced a 65(a then Amateur record) at Sciota CC in qualifying for his first US Amateur.

At the age of 16yo, Jack won his first 72 hole tourney, the Ohio Open, an Open Tournament comprised of Professionals and Amateurs, with a ho-hum third round 64, being the only member of his threesome, the other two Gents being Pros, to break par(71), lol

All in all, the Golden Cub won 27 tourneys from the age of 10yo through his 18th birthday.  

Oh yea, when Jack hit 17yo, he qualified for his first of FOURTY FOUR CONSECUTIVE US OPENS, though he missed the cut.

At the age of 18yo, he planted the peg in his first PGA event, the Rubber City Open(Akron, OH, I swear to God thatís the name, lmao, though for those old enough to remember when Akron was referred to as the ďrubber capital of the worldĒ with Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. making their home there) where he had a T12 though he sat one stroke out of the lead following 36 holes and he also parlayed his US Open berth into a T41 finish.

All in all, a very productive puberty/post puberty performance by the young man😎

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends⛳️
RP

Edited by Forged4ever, 01 January 2018 - 05:03 PM.

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~
But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....

GHIN: Beefeater 24

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#212 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 579

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

View PostForged4ever, on 01 January 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Just to give an idea about where certain peeps were at young ages, here's a lil bit on Jack...

He took the game up at 10yo, shooting a 51 from the men's tees(they only had two sets of tees back in the day, the Mens' and Ladies') at Scioto CC, his home club in Columbus, Ohio, in his first 9-holes ever, Playing the ball down and in according to his father. He also would take on Scioto CC Head Pro Jack Grout, himself a Texas contemporary of Hogan and Byron Nelson, and Mr. Hrout would be Jack's life long and only coach.

At the age of 12yo, Jack won his first of FIVE CONSECUTIVE OHIO STATE JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS.

At age 13yo, the Golden Cub had a cap of +3 and bettered Par and broke 70 for the first time at the club, both coming in tournaments as at the age of 13yo lil Jackie became the youngest qualifier for the USGA US Jr. Amateur, where he survived three match play matches before falling.

At the age of 14yo, Jack won the Tri-State HS Championship, comprised of schools from Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana with a final round 68(36 hole tourney, Par 71). He also recorded his first hole-in-one that year.

At the ripe ole age of 15yo, Jack laced a 65(a then Amateur record) at Sciota Cc in qualifying for his first US Amateur.

At the age of 16yo, Jack won his first 72 hole tourney, the Ohio Open, an Open Tournament comprised of Professionals and Amateurs, with a ho-hum third round 64, being the only member of his threesome, the other two Gents being Pros, to break par(71), lol

All in all, the Golden Cub won 27 tourneys from the age of 10yo through his 18th birthday.  

Oh yea, when Jack hit 17yo, he qualified for his first of FOURTY FOUR CONSECUTIVE US OPENS, though he missed the cut.

At the age of 18yo, he planted the peg in his first PGA event, the Rubber City Open(Akron, OH), where he had a T12 though he sat one stroke out of the lead following 36 holes and he also parlayed his US Open berth into a T41 finish.

All in all, a very productive puberty/post puberty performance by the young man��

RP

Yeah but... oh nevermind.  Jack's the true GOAT.

#213 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

View PostTheMackDaddy, on 03 April 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

Even the juniors like to BS about how far they hit it I guess! Or am I just that short of a hitter :( ?
It should be required that all members post swing vids of themselves to prove that they are as good as they say they are so my self confidence doesn't plummet. Lol.

What's the point of having anyone prove anything?

In my experience, most 14 year olds don't hit that far at all. Something happens when they hit 15 or 16 then they hit a country mile. Some kids might just mature faster or something.

I've known many kids who played since they were toddlers, then at 15 their handicaps drop by 10 strokes or more.

That said, 10 months playing is kind of short for anyone to get sub-5 much less a 3.7. Unless, he foregoes all the rules and/or hits perfectly straight. This is especially true for a someone who only carries 235 yards.

Edited by Lincoln_Arcadia, 01 January 2018 - 06:41 PM.

#214 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

Putting is 98%+ Mental.....

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,047 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
GolfWRX Likes : 24248

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

View Postleezer99, on 01 January 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

View PostForged4ever, on 01 January 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Just to give an idea about where certain peeps were at young ages, here's a lil bit on Jack...

He took the game up at 10yo, shooting a 51 from the men's tees(they only had two sets of tees back in the day, the Mens' and Ladies') at Scioto CC, his home club in Columbus, Ohio, in his first 9-holes ever, Playing the ball down and in according to his father. He also would take on Scioto CC Head Pro Jack Grout, himself a Texas contemporary of Hogan and Byron Nelson, and Mr. Hrout would be Jack's life long and only coach.

At the ripe ole age of 15yo, Jack laced a 65(a then Amateur record) at Sciota Cc in qualifying for his first US Amateur.

At the age of 18yo, he planted the peg in his first PGA event, the Rubber City Open(Akron, OH), where he had a T12 though he sat one stroke out of the lead following 36 holes and he also parlayed his US Open berth into a T41 finish.

All in all, a very productive puberty/post puberty performance by the young man😎

RP

Yeah but... oh nevermind.  Jack's the true GOAT.
I figured that all the young unís know Tigerís Jr. CV by heart, lolol.

Yea, it was more impressive than Jackís, no doubt, though Jack did win enough and do enough damage to othersí psyches to let em know that the train had left the station, was pickin up some steam and would be coming their way very shortly, and it also shows that one doesnít have to win three consecutive US Amateurs to be considered a Stud😂😂

Or have a golferís physique, lol

Cheers👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever, 02 January 2018 - 09:08 AM.

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~
But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....

GHIN: Beefeater 24

#215 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:18 PM

View PostTheMackDaddy, on 03 April 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

Even the juniors like to BS about how far they hit it I guess! Or am I just that short of a hitter Posted Image ?
It should be required that all members post swing vids of themselves to prove that they are as good as they say they are so my self confidence doesn't plummet. Lol.

I'm 50+ but can still carry anywhere from 236 average with a 43" driver and range balls to 265 carry with a 45" driver with Pro-V1, and use a Flightscope for all my range sessions. Your internet driving distance doesn't matter too much anyway. I'm pretty sure someone will doubt my claims, but I don't really care enough to post a video of myself to someone on the internet whose ego was injured by my claims. :wave:

View PostTheMackDaddy, on 03 April 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

Hi I'm 9 years old, 87 pounds, and play to a +4.7 handicap and I hit them ball 360 average. How about you guys?

You should have said this in the first place. Please post a video of yourself doing it, please. :busted_cop:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors