Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

golf ball for 85mph swing speed

36 replies to this topic

#1 kazooblue

kazooblue

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 172473
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hi all new here made a couple of post regarding this no responses so I will try again I have a 85mph swing speed but I am looking for a ball that is not a rock and has some spin to it. I have tried quite a few balls and I am considering the new maxfli as well could I get some other suggestions for balls besides the ones that i have previously mentioned in my other posts. thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1386

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

My driver clubhead speed is in theory maybe a bit more than that (the machine at Edwin Watts says about 88-89mph) but when not overswinging I think 84-85mph is about my range.

I don't think the ball matters a whole lot. I've used the DT Solo ($19/dozen) and NXT Tour ($32/dozen) in Titleist's lineup as well as HX Diablo Tour ($25/dozen) from Callaway and Q-Star (can't recall, maybe $30/dozen?) from Srixon each for at least a dozen or so rounds at some point in the last few years. I get more carry from the Q-Star and HX Diablo Tour but more roll from the DT Solo but those differences are maybe 5 yards if that and the carry+roll is real similar. The NXT Tour probably loses me a couple yards but I like the way it chips and putts pretty well. Overall I have a hard time choosing anything other then DT Solo as they are pretty cheap at my club's pro shop, durability not great but OK and I've played them enough to know how they react with shorter swings around the green.

That said, I'm about a dozen rounds into an experiment using a box of 50 ProV1x (2011/2012 model) that I bought used off eBay. And I must say I no longer believe that so-called "compression" matters at all. There are a few balls I've tried over the years that fall out of the sky way short for me (including the ProV1 from a decade ago) but these recent model ProV1x fly about the same distance as an NXT Tour, almost as far as the "low compression" balls. It rolls out less than those hard-cover balls but that's by design, it is also more controllable around the greens. I think I like a little better predictability on touch shots enough not to mind the five yards or so less rollout I'm giving up.

So don't get hung up on "compression" with your clubhead speed. Just pick something around $20-$25/dozen that chips ands putts nicely for you.

#3 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

IMHO, slower swingers will see distance/consistency losses more so with mid-long irons than off the tee when playing a ball that is too hard. Angle of attack also has a big impact. Those with a steeper AoA tend to compress the ball easier than those with a shallow AoA. Players with slow swing speeds and shallow AoA should probably focus on compression more than players with higher swing speeds and a steep AoA.

To the OP, we need more information to make recommendations. Swing speed is one variable that is overemphasized when it comes to ball fitting. The first thing I would recommend is sharing a few ball models that you do like that we can use as a benchmark. From there you can share what characteristics you are looking for or areas of your game that you are looking to improve on. This will help narrow it down to a few choices that you can take to the course and compare.

#4 Demo1

Demo1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48402
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

My swing speed is similar to yours and I've been playing the Wilson Duo lately and really like it.  At $20/dz., it's worth a try for you.

#5 sdrem

sdrem

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41150
  • Ebay ID:sdrem
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Wilson 50 Elite.

Cal. X2hot 10.5* Aldila Tour Blue
Callaway X2hot 17* Aldila Tour Blue
Ping G25   20*/ 23*  tfc189
Callaway Apex 5-AW/UST Recoil
Odyssey X-milled Versa #1, SS Ultra Slim
Cal. Mack Daddy 2 55*/60* ,KBS Tour V
WITB Link

#6 kazooblue

kazooblue

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

Demo1, on 04 April 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

My swing speed is similar to yours and I've been playing the Wilson Duo lately and really like it.  At $20/dz., it's worth a try for you.

I actually tried the DUO this past sunday and it is one of the balls that I am considering along with the E5. I am also considering the taylormade noodle easy distance ball also  but havent heard enough about it. I played the fixx & treosoft last year.

Ironically i aslo played with the precept lady iq ball sunday as well great distance but again I am looking for somthing with a little more spin on the green.

The taylormade tp3 was a decent ball but i dont like the idea of almost $40 for a dozen

I wish i could get a sleeve of the new maxfli golf balls and try them out

#7 kazooblue

kazooblue

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

has any of you played the maxfli revoloution low compression ball yet I know that it is also a new ball by maxfli like to hear the reviews too

#8 Golfguy17

Golfguy17

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 164899
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

I have about the same SS as you do and I have been playing the Srixon Q-star and I love it. The ball is long off the tee and has great spin on approach shots. Another great factor is that it doesn't release a lot when chipping or hitting short pitch shots into the green. I also like the feel off the putter. This is a very nice ball for only $24/dz.. Try this ball out you won't regret it.

#9 ricknickers

ricknickers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121960
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

You can always try titleist VG3s not a long term solution, they are available @ Golfsmith for 25/dzn but they are overruns from Japan so supplies are limited.

#10 gvogel

gvogel

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 323

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hex Chrome could be a very good ball for you.

On Sundays, I play hickory

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 MRadix

MRadix

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142325

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

Golf balls dont matter

#12 citizenfore

citizenfore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143615
  • Ebay ID:citizendrum

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

kazooblue, on 04 April 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

has any of you played the maxfli revoloution low compression ball yet I know that it is also a new ball by maxfli like to hear the reviews too

I played these at a recent buddy trip to myrtle beach (got them on sale at Dick's for $35 for 2 dozen) and they were awesome.  This will probably be my go to ball as long as they keep them around for cheap.  My swing speed is similar, and they had a soft putter feel and good greenside control.

#13 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3290

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Wilson Fg-Tour. Softest compression urethane.
Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 650 19, 22/Aldila Vs Proto 95x
Mizuno Mp 53 4-pw/PX 6.5 Satin Prototype
Mizuno Mp T5 52, 58/DG x100 (8i)
Odyssey Tank #7
WITB Link

#14 Terp

Terp

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15256
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

Golfguy17, on 04 April 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

I have about the same SS as you do and I have been playing the Srixon Q-star and I love it. The ball is long off the tee and has great spin on approach shots. Another great factor is that it doesn't release a lot when chipping or hitting short pitch shots into the green. I also like the feel off the putter. This is a very nice ball for only $24/dz.. Try this ball out you won't regret it.

Q Star or ZStar SL.

#15 Hacker#5252

Hacker#5252

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159389
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

Not sure what my swing speed is but I'm guessing it's pretty similar to yours: 220 yards average with driver at sea level.

I've played the Wilson Smart Core since I started playing. It's a "straight distance" type of ball.

I decided to try the Srixon Q-Star, and after one round, I like it better. As I said in some other post, it's a little softer, has a little more spin, is a little less durable and is as long or longer. It's $25/dozen.

#16 Golfguy17

Golfguy17

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 164899

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

Terp, on 07 April 2012 - 06:47 AM, said:

Golfguy17, on 04 April 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Q Star or ZStar SL.

I tried the ZStar SL and that ball has a lot more spin off all of the clubs than that of the Q-star. Which is nice when you hit iron and wedge shot into the green up off the tee I was loosing a lot of shots to the left and about 10 yards off of what I hit the Q star.

#17 storm319

storm319

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,877 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

MadGolfer76, on 06 April 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

Wilson Fg-Tour. Softest compression urethane.

The B330-RXS is actually the lowest overall compression ball with a urethane cover. The B330RX and ZStar SL also have lower overall compression than the FG Tour. All of Wilson's compression claims are referring to core compression only.

#18 kazooblue

kazooblue

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

went to a demo day this weekend and my swing speed was measured at 80-83 mph is there any balls you may suggest now?

#19 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1386

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Any of the mentioned "low compression" balls will probably work fine. Just try one or two and see how you like them. Or if you don't believe that the "low compression" criteria is super-important you can try 'most anything.

For starters just grab a sleeve or a dozen of one of the B330 balls or a ZStar SL or FG Tour and give 'em a trial run for a few rounds. All of them will have way more spin than a SmartCore and likely feel nicer, to boot. Heck, even a Wilson Zip or a Q-Star will feel softer and spin more than the ball you're using and they're pretty cheap to try.

There is zero science to making this choice, no formula will equate your swing to maximum performance. Just use all this advice to narrow it down to "Balls That Might Work Well" vs. "Balls That Probably Won't Work Well" and the rest is down to your own tryouts on the course.

#20 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Handicap:16.0
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

Demo1, on 04 April 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

My Driver swing speed is 84-86 mph range and play high 80's low 90's and I switched to the Duo during my last round.  Really liking this ball so far.
Normally I only see driver averaging around 205.  I was in the 210-230 range with the Duo.  I did switch from an interlock to a full finger grip so I think that is also helping my distance but the Duo's treated me good.  Just wish they were a little easier to find.  

I don't have a Sports Authority within 2 hrs so I had to order them.  $40 for 2 boxes and $2.99 shipping.  Wasn't too bad

Ping G30 SF Tec 10* Tour 65
Ping G30 3w
Exotics Trilogy 20*/23*/26* hybrids
Giga Reva 31* hybrid
Ping K15 7i-SW, G25 LW
Ping Ketsch

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 North Shore Golfer21

North Shore Golfer21

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129539
  • Ebay ID:northshoregolfer21
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

The new Nike Vapor Black is a perfect fit. It is engineered for the 85mph driver swing speed guy and has a soft cover/core. Compression is around 74. Give it a try.

#22 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Handicap:16.0
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

I haven't tried them yet but the guy at my local shop said many of their patrons have been buying the Nike Power Distance Soft which is a good compromise for slower swings.  Distance and also some softness around the green.
They were relatively cheap too $15

Its going to take a heck of a ball though to knock the Wilson Duo out of my bag.
Ping G30 SF Tec 10* Tour 65
Ping G30 3w
Exotics Trilogy 20*/23*/26* hybrids
Giga Reva 31* hybrid
Ping K15 7i-SW, G25 LW
Ping Ketsch

#23 rfarrell51

rfarrell51

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29533
  • Ebay ID:rfarrell51
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

I really like the Wilson lineup especially the D25 if you can still.. find it because I think the Duo is replacing it.  Good spin around the green as well .The new NXT Tour S is another to try.
Ping G30 11.1* TFC 419D
Ping G30 17, 19, 22 TFC 419H
Mizuno MPH5 5-PW KBS TT Lite
Nike Method Midnight 006 33"
Mizuno MP5 51 MPT 11 56

#24 Old Hack

Old Hack

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171394

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

kazooblue, on 09 April 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

went to a demo day this weekend and my swing speed was measured at 80-83 mph is there any balls you may suggest now?

You can take most of what you read on this site to heart. Notice I say most. The swing speed of most posters is above 80% of the golfers in the US. The results they seek and need is not what the other 80% want. I have a SS of 80 - 85 and I can break 80 fairly consistently. I need as much distance as possible while giving me control in short game. That is a tough order to fill for the manufacturers. Forgetting $, we need someone to test ALL or as many as possible at the real average swing speed. After my own sometimes futile search for magic, not all soft balls are longer, at my SS, and not all hard balls are short. The Taylormade TP Black is one of the longest and controllable balls on the market. The Q Star is one of the shortest. One is hard & one is soft. My message is - try a sleeve of each type of ball. If you are anywhere near straight, stop worrying about $. Find a ball that gives you the best for your game. People who swing @ 110 SS can't answer for you.

#25 bubbatrump

bubbatrump

Rookie

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134962

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

How about the Nike Crush?  These were marketed as a ball for slower swing speeds and I recall seeing a graph where the "Crush Zone" was in 80-90 mph range.

#26 PingTJ

PingTJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34638

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

Noodle Plus Easy Distance.  It got rave reviews from Golf Digest for 2 piece balls and it's for people with an 85mph SS and under.  They're only $12/doz at Walmart.

#27 hammer1

hammer1

Purpledot75

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132281
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

My swing speed is in the same range and I love the distance I am getting from the Bridgestone e5 ball.  Long off the tee and it spins well due to its urethane cover.
PING K15 driver, 10.5*, TFC 149D shaft
PING K15 3 wood, TFC 149F shaft
PING G15 hybrids, 20* and 23*, TFC 149H
PING G15 irons, 5-PW, TFC 149I
PING Eye 2 XG SW and LW, TFC 169I
PING Zing 5 KS stainless steel putter

#28 hubcville

hubcville

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63505
  • Ebay ID:1hub2uva

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

Whichever ball you chip and putt best.

I have a 90 mph ss, and even though I'm obviously not getting the full performance out of the Pro V1s I play, I can usually point to 2 or 3 strokes saved around the greens when I play that ball.

When I'm not in the mood to lose $4 golf balls, I've found the TP Black and Nike One Black are the best balls for distance and control.

#29 SwooshLT

SwooshLT

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5901
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

330RXS 2012 model for me beat out TP3 and Chrome in spin around greens and compressability(made up word!)

#30 J.J.

J.J.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190392
  • Ebay ID:Yesh151

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

I've got similar swing speed numbers and the ball fitting software at Golf Galaxy put me into the Top-Flite D2 Distance ball.  I swallowed my pride and tried them; glad I did.  They are long, feel fine around and on the greens, spin well and have basically taken the thought of "Am I playing the right ball?" out of my head.  I have tried since and liked NXT, NXT Tour, B5, B6, Srixon's, Pro V's, Penta and Wilson Smartcore.  All are a good choice but when I take price out of the equation I still am convinced the TopFlite is the best all-around ball for me.  I might get tempted through the years to try the latest and greatest but they never last more than a dozen; then I go buy 45 TopFlites for the same price!  The fact that the software showed this ball to be the best combo of distance, accuracy, and spin versus everything else is what convinced me to try it.  So, that happened.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors