Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping Nome w/ adjustable length technology Pics!!!

82 replies to this topic

#1 easyyy

easyyy

Founder & Still a Ho

• Rules Official
  • 10,751 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1
  • Handicap:4.0
GolfWRX Likes : 2057

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

My father told me you can slow them down but you cant speed them up.  Ping Golf consistently falls into the moving fast bucket. They have come  up with yet another innovative idea for the golf world.

One of the largest contributors for success using long or belly  putters is getting the fitting right. If the setup is to long or short  this could make all the difference.

Announced today the Ping Nome belly putters will be sold with a USGA  approved adjustablity for length. Yes you will be able to adjust the  length from 37.5″ to 46.5″ range of your putter to be better fit. The  length is then locked in by moving the tool counter clockwise and  removing it.

"Better fitting was the inspiration for the adjustable Nome belly" said John Solheim President and CEO of Ping Golf.

The shaft is comprised of graphite (underneath grip) and steel from  the grip to the head. (See the Pics) A machined stainless steel locking  clamp and wrench controls the adjustability. The putter head and clamp  are both machined in Arizona.

Per USGA rules, the putter cannot be adjusted during a round.

According to John Solheim,

"Ping also hopes to see different versions of this in the  future. Using the adjustability technology they want to build this out  in long putters to help the golfer in travel. The long 48″ versions of  putters are longer than the driver and makes for difficult travel."

Trying to get this innovation to market required the USGA also.

"This was our second design," Solheim said. "The USGA  rejected a clamp design and wanted something different so we designed  this stainless clamp system."

The Nome 405 Belly will be available in all three stoke types and be  sold  MSRP for $320. The Nome Belly will debut on tour at the Shell  Houston Open and is expected n retail stores May 1,2012.

Here is the press release:

PING goes to new lengths with

adjustable putter shaft

PHOENIX (March 26, 2012) – PING today became the first major golf company to introduce a USGA-approved adjustable-length belly putter shaft. The adjustable putter shaft, offered exclusively with the Nome 405 putter, allows the player to self-adjust the length within a 9-inch range to optimize performance.

"At PING, custom fitting is our priority, and with the popularity of belly putters we saw a unique fitting opportunity because shaft length is so critical to performance," said John A. Solheim, PING Chairman & CEO. "Adjustability is key because the standard 42-inch belly putter fits a narrow range of people. When the shaft is too long or too short, it alters your distance from the ball, your eye position, and the path of your stroke. Adjustability lets you experiment until your posture is comfortable and your eyes are over the ball, which helps you make a consistent stroke and solid impact. We're pleased to have USGA approval of this easy-to-use, innovative technology. Golfers are going to find it will help improve their putting."  

Length can be adjusted from 37.5 to 46.5 inches. The player changes the length using a PING adjustment tool that threads into a locking ring on the shaft. Turning the tool loosens the ring, allowing the shaft to slide telescopically. The player then adjusts the shaft to the desired length. Turning the adjustment tool in the opposite direction and removing it locks the ring and secures the shaft so it's ready for play.

As one more fitting step, the shaft is available in three different bends to match Straight, Slight Arc, and Strong Arc stroke types. This coincides with PING's Fit for Stroke putter-fitting concept.

The Nome model is a timely choice for the adjustable putter shaft. It had a recent PGA Tour win even prior to its official launch. PING Pro Hunter Mahan used a standard-length Nome 355 putter to win the WGC-Accenture Match Play in February. Mahan said the Nome's alignment aids gave him confidence in his aim. "I felt I could make just about any putt I looked at." Since the victory, more PING pros have put a Nome putter in their bags. Players are being introduced to the adjustable putter shaft in the Nome 405 putter at this week's Shell Houston Open.  

Product Details & Technical Specifications:

- Availability: May 1, 2012

- The lower portion of the shaft is steel, the upper portion beneath the grip is graphite. The locking ring is made from 17-4 stainless steel. The Nome head is precision milled from high-grade aluminum and finished with a durable nano nickel coating. A lightweight aluminum frame and tungsten sole weighting optimize the CG and the MOI. The mallet-style head features a black alignment bar and white contrasting sightline. The Winn AVS 21-inch belly grip is standard. Lie is adjustable +- 2 degrees from standard.  

-U.S. MSRP: $320

2Y9G4144_resize.JPG

2Y9G4127_resize.JPG

2Y9G4128_resize.JPG

2Y9G4134_resize.JPG

2Y9G4149_resize.JPG

nome instructions.jpg

2Y9G4151_resize.JPG

2Y9G4153_resize.JPG

2Y9G4154_resize.JPG

2Y9G4156_resize.JPG

2Y9G4160_resize.JPG

2Y9G4164_resize.JPG

2Y9G4166_resize.JPG

2Y9G4167_resize.JPG

2Y9G4168_resize.JPG

2Y9G4143_resize.JPG

2Y9G4144_resize.JPG

2Y9G4146_resize.JPG

2Y9G4147_resize.JPG

2Y9G4148_resize.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• 2Y9G4117_resize.JPG
  • 2Y9G4118_resize.JPG

in WRX we TRUST
richard@golfwrx.com

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 DNice26

DNice26

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Very cool.  Assuming that isn't just a fitting club, that would be killer at retail.  

Is this FINALLY Ping's entrance into adjustability????
Ping G30 10.5, AD DI 7X, 45"
TM RBZ S2, Blue Board X
Mizuno MP64 5-PW, C-Taper S+
Titleist SM5, 50S, 56S & 60K
Scotty Kombi S, 34" SS 3.0

#3 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,879 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 1278

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

View PostDNice26, on 26 March 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

Very cool.  Assuming that isn't just a fitting club, that would be killer at retail.  

I was thinking the same thing.  I wonder if a driver is next?

#4 DNice26

DNice26

Major Winner

• 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

This thing is gonna sell like hot cakes.......

Almostmakes me want to hold out on buying a new driver this year (considering the i20) with the hope that next years i25 has adjustability.......

Alas.....the Ho in me won't allow a season without a new big stick...lol
Ping G30 10.5, AD DI 7X, 45"
TM RBZ S2, Blue Board X
Mizuno MP64 5-PW, C-Taper S+
Titleist SM5, 50S, 56S & 60K
Scotty Kombi S, 34" SS 3.0

#5 Woodridge

Woodridge

Hodet ned , ikke titte

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143453
GolfWRX Likes : 232

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

Brilliant....

Tad Moore Pall Mall Spoon
Gibson Kirkwood mid-iron
Gibson misc.
Gibson Dreadnaught Niblick
Tad Moore The Howitzer
Gene Reilly mallet

#6 easyyy

easyyy

Founder & Still a Ho

• Rules Official
  • 10,751 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

Here is the press release...

PING goes to new lengths with

adjustable putter shaft

PHOENIX (March 26, 2012) –PING today became the first major golf company to introduce a USGA-approved adjustable-length belly putter shaft. The adjustable putter shaft, offered exclusively with the Nome 405 putter, allows the player to self-adjust the length within a 9-inch range to optimize performance.

“At PING, custom fitting is our priority, and with the popularity of belly putters we saw a unique fitting opportunity because shaft length is so critical to performance,” said John A. Solheim, PING Chairman & CEO. “Adjustability is key because the standard 42-inch belly putter fits a narrow range of people. When the shaft is too long or too short, it alters your distance from the ball, your eye position, and the path of your stroke. Adjustability lets you experiment until your posture is comfortable and your eyes are over the ball, which helps you make a consistent stroke and solid impact. We’re pleased to have USGA approval of this easy-to-use, innovative technology. Golfers are going to find it will help improve their putting.”  

Length can be adjusted from 37.5 to 46.5 inches. The player changes the length using a PING adjustment tool that threads into a locking ring on the shaft. Turning the tool loosens the ring, allowing the shaft to slide telescopically. The player then adjusts the shaft to the desired length. Turning the adjustment tool in the opposite direction and removing it locks the ring and secures the shaft so it’s ready for play.

As one more fitting step, the shaft is available in three different bends to match Straight, Slight Arc, and Strong Arc stroke types. This coincides with PING’s Fit for Stroke putter-fitting concept.

The Nome model is a timely choice for the adjustable putter shaft. It had a recent PGA Tour win even prior to its official launch. PING Pro Hunter Mahan used a standard-length Nome 355 putter to win the WGC-Accenture Match Play in February. Mahan said the Nome’s alignment aids gave him confidence in his aim. “I felt I could make just about any putt I looked at.” Since the victory, more PING pros have put a Nome putter in their bags. Players are being introduced to the adjustable putter shaft in the Nome 405 putter at this week’s Shell Houston Open.  

Product Details & Technical Specifications:

- Availability: May 1, 2012

- The lower portion of the shaft is steel, the upper portion beneath the grip is graphite. The locking ring is made from 17-4 stainless steel. The Nome head is precision milled from high-grade aluminum and finished with a durable nano nickel coating. A lightweight aluminum frame and tungsten sole weighting optimize the CG and the MOI. The mallet-style head features a black alignment bar and white contrasting sightline. The Winn AVS 21-inch belly grip is standard. Lie is adjustable +- 2 degrees from standard.  

-U.S. MSRP: $320

in WRX we TRUST
richard@golfwrx.com

#7 easyyy

easyyy

Founder & Still a Ho

• Rules Official
  • 10,751 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

here is the instructions...

nome instructions.jpg

in WRX we TRUST
richard@golfwrx.com

#8 mws92

mws92

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109432
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

That is really cool. It's as good for ping as it is for the consumer...only having to produce one "length" putter is great for manufacturing and stocking purposes.  

I would imagine this technology will translate to regular length putters as well.

My only disappointment would be that you have to use your eye to line up the grip with the sight line. I'm sure the next iteration may have a notch or guide of some sort. This is certainly a great start. This will only push other manufacturers as well.

#9 golfware

golfware

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

Like the Guiness commercials....  BRILLIANT!!

Wow. I'm totally impressed. Get properly fit by a PING fitter and then you can have it customized specifically to you. Kudos PING.

#10 bldolat

bldolat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116598
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

Very cool,  I already liked the Nome and with adjustably even better.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

Seems like a very nice idea! Almost makes me wanna try a belly putter. Almost!

#12 ram01002

ram01002

Major Winner

• 1,142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1598
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Seems like a gamechanger - - have to give Ping credit for being first to market with this idea.

#13 HipCheck

HipCheck

The season to ho, ho, ho

• Marshals
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1164

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

This is impressive to say the least. To take such a cool idea and make it a reality in a short amount of time WITH the approval of the USGA is no small feat. New ground here which can even be incorporated in standard length putters, presumably.

#14 rybo

rybo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16062
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Now put this technology to use on a long putter so it will fit in my bag when traveling!

#15 neova

neova

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97802
  • Ebay ID:neova2
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

adjustable length in irons/woods would be cool! Then i can easily try out a 43.5 vs 44.5 vs 45.5 length driver without reshafting multiple times!

Taylormade RBZ 2 Tour 9 Fubuki a60s
Taylormade RBZ 2 Tour 14.5 Fubuki a70s
Taylormade RBZ 2 Tour 18.5 Fubuki t415s
Fourteen TC930 3-PW Modus 3 120S
Fourteen RM-11 52.08/58.08 C-Taper 125S+
Bettinardi BB35 355g 35"

#16 Wedge Ninja

Wedge Ninja

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65518
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

I'd say its technically the same principle as a fitting club, very similar to their "putter fitting club" that I've seen. Not saying that in a negative way at all, I love ping putters and actually currently game one. I'm suprised that it has taken this long for them to get this idea out to retail, I'm just glad that they were the first to do it, like I said I love Ping putters. Hopefully they'll incorporate this into their standard length putters also sometime in the near futuer.

SLDR TP 10.5*
Razr Fit Xtreme 15* Black Tie
R9 TP 5 wood 19*
Rocketbladez Tour 3-AW
TM Tour Preferred 54* & 58*
Ping Anser 2 Milled

#17 ShadJC

ShadJC

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 169743
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

Very cool! Can't wait to get one! I have really been struggling with my putting the last 2+ years. So much so, that it has frustrated me to the point of playing far less the last few seasons! I have tried a few belly putters in the store. The belly-assisted set-up and stroke feels pretty good, but most of the putters seem to be the wrong length. I think the new adjustable Nome may be the ticket for me!

One question I have is: What will it take to put on a new grip? It looks like it will require some kind of modified process and a custom grip made specifically for the club.

#18 ShadJC

ShadJC

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 169743
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

On second thought, I took a better look at the pictures and think I have a better idea how the length adjustment mechanism works. Maybe it would require anything special to re-grip.

#19 dan250yds

dan250yds

Mayor9312

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64799
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 26 March 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

View PostDNice26, on 26 March 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

I heard from a source Ping does not offer an adjustable driver at retail because the performance of the adjustable club is horrendous

I was thinking the same thing.  I wonder if a driver is next?

Driver: Jetspeed TP w/Matrix VLCT X Flex
3 Wood: 909F3 w/ Tour Blue TX Flex
3 Iron: TMag Rac LT w/ RIP 105 X Flex
Irons: TMag MC 4-PW PX 6.5
Putter:Scotty Cameron GoLo
Wedges: Cally X-Jaws, MackDaddy2's

#20 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

Takin' dumps and shakin' rumps

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Handicap:+0.9
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

View PostShadJC, on 26 March 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Very cool! Can't wait to get one! I have really been struggling with my putting the last 2+ years. So much so, that it has frustrated me to the point of playing far less the last few seasons! I have tried a few belly putters in the store. The belly-assisted set-up and stroke feels pretty good, but most of the putters seem to be the wrong length. I think the new adjustable Nome may be the ticket for me!

One question I have is: What will it take to put on a new grip? It looks like it will require some kind of modified process and a custom grip made specifically for the club.

My exact question.  I like the ability to swap grips when I like a putter head but something just doesn't seem right with it at the moment.  I'm sure someone will come up with something though.

Stuff n' things....
2014 Silo Ridge Club Champion

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 minhjn

minhjn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101642
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

i must have this.

#22 Stretch

Stretch

#golfwrxproblems

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106949
GolfWRX Likes : 227

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

Good thing it's got a little rocker in the sole, 'cause the lie angle's going to be all over the place.

#23 eric_b

eric_b

I will NOT tuck in my shirt!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150423
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Very cool.....also, very impressive that they got this baby approved by the USGA.  Scotty Cameron was showing something very similar at the PGA show.....however, his wasn't USGA approved, so it was just a fitting tool.

I guess Ping gets the win here!

#24 eric_b

eric_b

I will NOT tuck in my shirt!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150423
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

Oh....wait.....just to stir the pot.....isn't this, at the very least, tacit approval of long putters by the USGA?

OMG!

#25 BlkNGld

BlkNGld

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7518
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

View PostHipCheck, on 26 March 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

This is impressive to say the least. To take such a cool idea and make it a reality in a short amount of time WITH the approval of the USGA is no small feat. New ground here which can even be incorporated in standard length putters, presumably.

Perhaps some payback from the USGA for Ping agreeing to put the Eye2 groove fiasco to bed?

#26 jdunlap

jdunlap

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105660
  • Ebay ID:jdunlapmo
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

View Posteric_b, on 26 March 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

Oh....wait.....just to stir the pot.....isn't this, at the very least, tacit approval of long putters by the USGA?

OMG!

+1 - that was my first thought when I saw this article... I wouldn't see them approving this design if they were planning to ban long putters...

#27 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

• 6,214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 365

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

Wow...they beat TM to the punch with this one.    

When I went on the Kingdom trip, they were showing us an adjustable putter (same type of concept).   When I asked them about bringing something like that to the market for retail (even at shorter length...I like something between 34" and 34.5"), they commented that this concept was only intended to help with the fitting process.

#28 Anakinn

Anakinn

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38400
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

Interesting   Posted Image
Ping i25, 9.5*
Adams XTD Ti, Fwy 15*
Adams XTD Ti, Hyd 20*
Mizuno MP 59, 3-P
Titleist SM4, 52* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Select, Newport 2

#29 drifter12

drifter12

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137555
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

this concept just makes sense. the execution looks great too, i would definitely get one to try out. the other big brands must be working on one of these too.
Ping G25 10.5 Blueboard
906F4 15.5 Tour AD-DJ
TEE XCG7 19, RBZ 22
MP-15 4-P C-Taper Lite
MP-T4 52/58 Spinners
NP2 Notchback

#30 newportbeach

newportbeach

found my new driver and putter - It's red and deadly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481
  • Ebay ID:spyglass
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Very cool and a great idea.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors