Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Manassero or Cantlay


323 replies to this topic

Poll: Manassero vs Cantlay (293 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is the bigger prospect?

  1. Matteo Manassero (226 votes [77.13%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 77.13%

  2. Patrick Cantlay (67 votes [22.87%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 22.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#271 Bingo1976

Bingo1976

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194780
  • Joined: 07/26/2012
  • Location:Singapore
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

He's one of those players that mises a lot of putts becuase he has so many of them. re length - he's only 19 and about 5'10 - he's got some strength as he ages. As long as the quest for distance or messing around with his swing doesn't get to him, he'll win at least 3 majors.

Sentosa (Singpare Open course) isn't much of a  bomb and gauge course anyway, but there is a premium on being in the fairway, so I'd see him doing well at the US Open if he can get another 20 yards out of his driver.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#272 iBanesto

iBanesto

    Niclas Fasth

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
  • Joined: 08/24/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

View PostBingo1976, on 15 November 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

He's one of those players that mises a lot of putts becuase he has so many of them. re length - he's only 19 and about 5'10 - he's got some strength as he ages. As long as the quest for distance or messing around with his swing doesn't get to him, he'll win at least 3 majors.

Sentosa (Singpare Open course) isn't much of a  bomb and gauge course anyway, but there is a premium on being in the fairway, so I'd see him doing well at the US Open if he can get another 20 yards out of his driver.

Matteo is actually around 6" tall and is typically a very good putter. He has plenty of time to gain strength gradually rather than all at once which is beneficial IMO.

He outdrove Oosthuizen on the last playoff hole in Singapore.

#273 josh44

josh44

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120342
  • Joined: 01/10/2011
  • Location:Rock Hill, SC
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

Manassero
Callaway XHot 3Deep 13*
Wilson Staff D-100 17*
Ping i5 4-PW w/ Rifle 5.5
Ping Tour Gorge 52,56
Titleist Vokey 58

#274 nmanoles3

nmanoles3

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139261
  • Joined: 09/15/2011
  • Handicap:0.6
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

I like Mateo just because he's younger and has been pro longer. I see it kind of like the Rickie/Rory thing. Rory turned pro before Rickie and is younger (barely). Not saying Mateo will reach the success Rory has so quickly, but I think he has a better chance than Bud. Both Bud and Mateo will be great golfers, I just think Mateo will win a major sooner and more often.

Edited by nmanoles3, 26 November 2012 - 05:55 PM.

Titleist 913 D3 8.5* Oban Devotion
Titleist 913fd 15* Diamana D+
Titleist 910h 19* Diamana ahina
Titleist 714 AP2/MB KBS Tour (3-P)
Vokey 54, TVD 60 K
Scotty Cameron Cali Del Mar

#275 Drijver

Drijver

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118561
  • Joined: 12/06/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

View PostiBanesto, on 16 November 2012 - 06:15 AM, said:

View PostBingo1976, on 15 November 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

He's one of those players that mises a lot of putts becuase he has so many of them. re length - he's only 19 and about 5'10 - he's got some strength as he ages. As long as the quest for distance or messing around with his swing doesn't get to him, he'll win at least 3 majors.

Sentosa (Singpare Open course) isn't much of a  bomb and gauge course anyway, but there is a premium on being in the fairway, so I'd see him doing well at the US Open if he can get another 20 yards out of his driver.

Matteo is actually around 6" tall and is typically a very good putter. He has plenty of time to gain strength gradually rather than all at once which is beneficial IMO.

He outdrove Oosthuizen on the last playoff hole in Singapore.

Matteo is definitely improving his length, when I saw him play this September he was getting his 3 wood out to approx 275 which is pretty decent no?

Edited by Drijver, 26 November 2012 - 06:31 PM.


#276 Stick Shootin

Stick Shootin

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127507
  • Joined: 04/26/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

I'll take the young Italian.

#277 SwooshLT

SwooshLT

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5901
  • Joined: 09/09/2005
  • Location:Loxahatchee,FL
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

I'll vote for the  BMW PGA Champ!

#278 KDMullins

KDMullins

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17765
  • Joined: 08/10/2006
  • Location:Lexington, KY
  • Ebay ID:uklawdawg
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Definitely a big step forward for Manassero today.  Solid, solid play in the playoff.  Still early, but I'm prepared to eat crow if necessary.

#279 rafer11

rafer11

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135724
  • Joined: 08/08/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 382

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

Matteo! What a stretch of 4 solid playoff holes there! I hope he comes over and plays with the big boys soon.

#280 hogans71

hogans71

    Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45116
  • Joined: 01/05/2008
  • Location:Chicago (Lincoln Park)
GolfWRX Likes : 1190

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

View Postrafer11, on 26 May 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

Matteo! What a stretch of 4 solid playoff holes there! I hope he comes over and plays with the big boys soon.

What an awesome backhanded compliment...


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#281 imakaveli

imakaveli

    Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Joined: 06/22/2011
  • Location:Milano, Italy
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1460

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

View Postdeasy55, on 11 November 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#282 tommyrobson

tommyrobson

    Junior Golfer

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184764
  • Joined: 06/06/2012
  • Handicap:4.9
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

He seems much more legit now that he is sponsored by abu dhabi instead of kinder ;)
Taylormade RBZ 9.5*
Cleveland Classic 15.5* w/ Matrix Ozik
Cleveland Classic 18* w/ Matrix Ozik
Ping S57's w/ S300
Kenny Giannini G2 Chubby
Ping Gorge 52, 56, SM4 60

#283 MattTheTaff

MattTheTaff

    Oh, I used to be disgusted.. and now I try to be amused

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153093
  • Joined: 01/02/2012
  • Location:Nottinghamshire, UK
GolfWRX Likes : 825

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Matteo is a class act. He's being doing this for the last three years. I predict great things in this lad's future.

Cleveland Classic 290 - 10.5
Titleist 904f - 17
PING i20 Hybrid - 20
Mizuno MP37 - 3-PW
Cleveland 588 Forged 54/60
Wilson Staff 8882

#284 kitsoasis

kitsoasis

    fried chicken

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38807
  • Joined: 09/05/2007
  • Location:The Sandbelt, Melbourne
  • Ebay ID:kitsoasis
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

this thread is still going?

where's PLHR?

#285 PuttLeftHitRight

PuttLeftHitRight

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168147
  • Joined: 03/07/2012
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 141

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

Congrats to Matteo. Solid win, but it won't register on my radar until he wins a PGA Tour event.


#286 G N R

G N R

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128428
  • Joined: 05/10/2011
  • Location:Melbourne
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:50 AM

It was a big win with a solid field so give the kid some credit.  I think we can safely say that Cantlay is well behind the 8 ball and Matteo is going on to bigger and better things.

#287 SurfinTurf

SurfinTurf

    In like Flynn with my 8802

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115210
  • Joined: 09/21/2010
  • Location:Pacific Grove, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 859

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:27 AM

Think this thread could last for a good long while.

If Cantlay steps up that is...

Congrats MM. Nice chunk of change. Future looks very bright indeed.


TM '07 Burner TP 8.5 Protopype 80X
TM '07 Burner TP 14.5 PX 10A2
Adams Pro Idea Gold 18 PX HB6
Mizuno MP 32 3-PW DGS300
Cleveland 588 RTG 51/56/60
The Wilson 8802

#288 TheBigSmooth

TheBigSmooth

    Major Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11997
  • Joined: 02/15/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, OH USA
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

Hope Manny sticks with Titleist.
SLDR 460 10.5* Aldila Tour Green 65X
SLDR 15* Fuji Speeder 77X
SLDR 19* Aldila RIP Phenom 80X
Callaway X Forged 4-PW PXI 6.5
Vokey 200 50* |  SM4 56* 60*
Bettinardi BB1F
WITB Link

#289 imakaveli

imakaveli

    Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Joined: 06/22/2011
  • Location:Milano, Italy
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1460

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

View PostPuttLeftHitRight, on 26 May 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

Congrats to Matteo. Solid win, but it won't register on my radar until he wins a PGA Tour event.

Yup, I mean, you have Tommy 2 Gloves on your radar and not Matteo? :D

#290 bushy007

bushy007

    Here we go...!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146741
  • Joined: 11/14/2011
  • Location:FNQ, Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

View PostPuttLeftHitRight, on 26 May 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

Congrats to Matteo. Solid win, but it won't register on my radar until he wins a PGA Tour event.
Yet it registered enough for you to give congratulations and take time out of your day to post...?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#291 Bingo1976

Bingo1976

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194780
  • Joined: 07/26/2012
  • Location:Singapore
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:19 AM

View Postrafer11, on 26 May 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

Matteo! What a stretch of 4 solid playoff holes there! I hope he comes over and plays with the big boys soon.

Well, it's the strongest field on the ET, including all 12 Ryder Cuppers (so in effect the 10 best European golfers plus picks who beat the 12 best US golfers), so he did beat the big boys on a bona fida tournament course

So BMW PGA Wentworth > The Walmart Classic at TPC Hicksville

#292 alvesm

alvesm

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187832
  • Joined: 06/21/2012
  • Location:UK
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:56 AM

Great win yesterday. I had never watched him play before but from reading this it seems there were plenty of people under the impression his length was (would be) an issue, one year ago - is that still the case or has he improved in this camp? Because he definitely didn't seem short to me and wentworth plays about the same length as the average pga course.

#293 imakaveli

imakaveli

    Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Joined: 06/22/2011
  • Location:Milano, Italy
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1460

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:58 AM

View Postalvesm, on 27 May 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

Great win yesterday. I had never watched him play before but from reading this it seems there were plenty of people under the impression his length was (would be) an issue, one year ago - is that still the case or has he improved in this camp? Because he definitely didn't seem short to me and wentworth plays about the same length as the average pga course.

The lenght has improved, he is working very hard on this :)

#294 BladeBoy

BladeBoy

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179636
  • Joined: 05/08/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:41 AM

So BMW PGA Wentworth > The Walmart Classic at TPC Hicksville

GOLD

#295 broth518

broth518

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1867
  • Joined: 06/24/2005
  • Location:NYC
  • Ebay ID:nikegolfer518
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:53 AM

there was more world ranking points on the European Tour this week than the PGA. Much stronger field in Europe that America this week...


#296 Vindog

Vindog

    Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
  • Joined: 06/29/2011
  • Location:Maine, the final frontier
GolfWRX Likes : 2349

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:11 AM

View PostBingo1976, on 27 May 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

View Postrafer11, on 26 May 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

Matteo! What a stretch of 4 solid playoff holes there! I hope he comes over and plays with the big boys soon.

Well, it's the strongest field on the ET, including all 12 Ryder Cuppers (so in effect the 10 best European golfers plus picks who beat the 12 best US golfers), so he did beat the big boys on a bona fida tournament course

So BMW PGA Wentworth > The Walmart Classic at TPC Hicksville
Not all Ryder cuppers played.
Why would you even compare the ET flagship event with a bottom tier event, even if it is fictitious?  Has to be the dumbest analogy I've ever read on here.

It's not unreasonable to think that Matteo takes his eventually.   I'm not saying he will, but I don't think it's a stretch to think it might happen.  Besides, I thin what Rafer was saying is that he could be a player that Americans would like to see.  Not anything about the event or course, like you just love to assume.  You are overly defensive on this issue, I can't help but laugh.

10/12 of that Ryder cup team have their PGA Tour cards, btw, so apparently they think it's possibly a good idea.
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#297 Bingo1976

Bingo1976

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194780
  • Joined: 07/26/2012
  • Location:Singapore
  • Handicap:5.5
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

View PostVindog, on 27 May 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

View PostBingo1976, on 27 May 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

View Postrafer11, on 26 May 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

Matteo! What a stretch of 4 solid playoff holes there! I hope he comes over and plays with the big boys soon.

Well, it's the strongest field on the ET, including all 12 Ryder Cuppers (so in effect the 10 best European golfers plus picks who beat the 12 best US golfers), so he did beat the big boys on a bona fida tournament course

So BMW PGA Wentworth > The Walmart Classic at TPC Hicksville
Not all Ryder cuppers played.
Why would you even compare the ET flagship event with a bottom tier event, even if it is fictitious?  Has to be the dumbest analogy I've ever read on here.

It's not unreasonable to think that Matteo takes his eventually.   I'm not saying he will, but I don't think it's a stretch to think it might happen.  Besides, I thin what Rafer was saying is that he could be a player that Americans would like to see.  Not anything about the event or course, like you just love to assume.  You are overly defensive on this issue, I can't help but laugh.

10/12 of that Ryder cup team have their PGA Tour cards, btw, so apparently they think it's possibly a good idea.

The suggestion was that the field was weaker than a US tour event. I was just pointing out that the field had some proper superstars in it. As you say - 10 of them play on the US tour.

#298 PuttLeftHitRight

PuttLeftHitRight

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168147
  • Joined: 03/07/2012
  • Location:Houston, TX
GolfWRX Likes : 141

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

View Postbushy007, on 27 May 2013 - 02:43 AM, said:

View PostPuttLeftHitRight, on 26 May 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

Congrats to Matteo. Solid win, but it won't register on my radar until he wins a PGA Tour event.
Yet it registered enough for you to give congratulations and take time out of your day to post...?

I got called out if you bothered to notice, plus I'm a classy guy.

#299 BigPete

BigPete

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83849
  • Joined: 05/25/2009
  • Location:Wirral UK Home of the 2014 Open
  • Handicap:12.1
  • Ebay ID:petekirkham25
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostPuttLeftHitRight, on 27 May 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

View Postbushy007, on 27 May 2013 - 02:43 AM, said:

View PostPuttLeftHitRight, on 26 May 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

Congrats to Matteo. Solid win, but it won't register on my radar until he wins a PGA Tour event.
Yet it registered enough for you to give congratulations and take time out of your day to post...?

I got called out if you bothered to notice, plus I'm a classy guy.

:)
Cobra L4V Matrix HD7 stiff
Mizuno JPX EZ 18 whiteboard stiff
Mizuno JPX EZ 19 / 825 25 Orochi stiff
Mizuno JPX 825 pro 5-pw XP S300
Mizuno MPR12 50 54 60
Mizuno Bettinardi BC2
WITB Link

#300 tofur99

tofur99

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72700
  • Joined: 01/13/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

View Postalvesm, on 27 May 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

Great win yesterday. I had never watched him play before but from reading this it seems there were plenty of people under the impression his length was (would be) an issue, one year ago - is that still the case or has he improved in this camp? Because he definitely didn't seem short to me and wentworth plays about the same length as the average pga course.

I saw one of his drives measured at 327 yards on a par 5 in the final round of the BMW, so I'd say length is not an issue now.  He's lost a bunch of weight and looks stronger.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors