Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How to remove epoxy from a graphite shaft

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Unusual Penguin

Unusual Penguin

I like to hit the ball far

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144797
  • Ebay ID:Hozeski1
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

I have a shaft with some epoxy 4-5 inches from the tip. Is there any way to remove it without damaging the paint?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Socrates

Socrates

Well on my way to being a curmudgeon.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 448

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

It can be a challenge.  You can try and pick it off with a knife edge or fingernail.  If it' been there a while, you can try low heat and rub it off with a soft clean cloth.  There are likely other ways, but that's what comes to mind.  Sometimes it might be best to leave it alone.
RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH i20 4-PW Graf Prologic Stiff
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
RH Vokey 52, 56 60 Spin Milled 2

#3 Unusual Penguin

Unusual Penguin

I like to hit the ball far

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144797
  • Ebay ID:Hozeski1
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Would acetone be a bad idea? What about goo-gone?

#4 Socrates

Socrates

Well on my way to being a curmudgeon.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 448

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Acetone will take the clear coat and paint off.  Goo-Gone might, but the problem is you have to break the bond between the shaft coating and the epoxy.  Not as easy as you think.
RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH i20 4-PW Graf Prologic Stiff
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
RH Vokey 52, 56 60 Spin Milled 2

#5 NPVWhiz

NPVWhiz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11443
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

If you mean that there is some excess epoxy that is on the clear coat, you may be able to get this off without damaging the paint finish.  Golf shafting epoxy bonds much more effectively to some surface types than others.  The problem is that anything chemical you use to soften it up or weaken it will likely damage the finish of the shaft.  

One trick that someone taught me as a hobbyist at one point was for getting excess epoxy off a metal hosel was just to rap it a little with a small hammer.  The shock deforms the drip or blob just enough to break the bond and you can peel it right off.  

Clearly that won't work for a shaft.  Another method I've used is to use an old credit card, which has a bit of a sharp edge, but isn't hard enough to damage the shaft finish/surface.  This works really well on most clubhead surfaces, especially for the dreaded "fingerprint" epoxy smudge.  

I would look into this a bit more before I tried it, but you might be able to use some mineral spirits to somehow soften up the epoxy a little so you could gently scrape it off with the credit card or some other hard plastic edge.  Mineral spirits won't immediately damage the finish, as I've never seen it cause a problem when regripping, but it gets wiped off fairly quickly.  I'm not sure what would happen if you let it sit a little on the epoxy.  From a chemistry perspective, heat or reactive chemicals break down epoxy bonds, so that's a challenge in this situation.  I think somehow scraping it off with an edge that is least likely to damage the finish is about your only option.

Edited by NPVWhiz, 25 March 2012 - 10:27 AM.

#6 muxi87

muxi87

muxi87

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32234
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

Heat it with a hair dryer then pick it off with your fingernail.  It isn't as good a bond as the epoxy/head bond because of the paint (or chrome) of the shaft.

Fairly easy fix...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors