Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

leupold gx4 vs gx4i

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 golfpros1

golfpros1

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105178
GolfWRX Likes : 929

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

dumb question, but i see the leupold site isn't even updated yet.  what is the difference between the 3x and 3xi and 4x and 4xi series?  what does the "i" give you this year?  also, what other models are sticking around with the 2 series?

also, side note, has anyone tried the bushnel tour z6?

Edited by golfpros1, 23 March 2012 - 12:59 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98548
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:00 AM

I got the Leupold GX-3i last week and searched online a bit before buying.

The jist of it, the 3i is supposed to acquire distance faster than the GX-3. Could be more to it, but that was the main thing I found.

-Dan

#3 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,269 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 808

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

Sounds like Leupold is becoming the Taylormade of rangefinders. They can't get a "new" model out too fast! (add a vowel, that'll make it sound better)

You golfers are suckers for anything new!!!!

I write this as I'm thinking.........::Where the heck is that Fedex truck, online tracking says "out for delivery"::??:russian_roulette:

#4 skaarsgard

skaarsgard

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 158845
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

i had the same questions - what i have found is the 3GXi and 4GXi have better and faster target acquisition but also OLED.

i am trading in my 4GX for a 3GXi today - don't want the slope model
Titleist 913d3 9.5* Tour AD-DI 6s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85g
Adams MB2 4-PW Steelfiber i95s
Cleveland 50, 56 and 64 wedges
Scotty Cameron California Fastback

#5 golfpros1

golfpros1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

Did you not like the slope option?  I live in Florida, which is generally pretty flat, so I don't know if it's that valuable a feature, but I am curious how it calculates atmospheric conditions to give you a distance.

#6 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

I decided against the GX-4i after reading reviews online. The slope feature is not the panacea that some folks think from what I read. Questionable accuracy and such were reported. Granted, online info has to be taken with a grain of salt. But the reviews were pretty consistent. Also, it has the club selector and such. Too much info and too many bells and whistles. I just want an accurate yardage to the pin. Nothing more. The GX-3i was my choice after what I learned. Loving it.

-Dan

#7 golfpros1

golfpros1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

better then bushnell in your opinion?  i know they have some new stuff out now.

#8 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Never used a Bushnell.

An avid shooter, I do know that Leupold walks circles around Bushnell in rifle scopes and other optics.

I would not have bought a range finder had it not been for me seeing that Leupold is making them.

That is what made me take the plunge. Leupold quality is legendary.

From what I am seeing, their range finders are in keeping with that reputation.

Small size, aluminum weatherproof body, great optics, red LED display, instantaneous target acquisition, etc...

Not sure how Bushnell (or anyone else) could top it.

-Dan

#9 golfpros1

golfpros1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

i found this review which i thought was informative:

apparently the new i series is accurate to 1/10 of a yard rather then within a yard.  i know that one of the bushnel offering this year offers this as well, so i guess this is the trend.  also, it has a very fast reading which is better for people that might be shaking their hands a bit (dont have to be as steady).  sounds like the i series is well worth the investment to the previous model

Edited by golfpros1, 23 March 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#10 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

Yep, it reads 67.3 yards, 145.6 yards, etc....

Far more accurate than me.

-Dan

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 golfpros1

golfpros1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

i pulled trigger on 3xi.  the i series benefits seem worth it to me, with the increased level of accuracy and faster readings.

I was learning toward a slope model since I thought I'd get something out of that, but in the end, it didn't seem like it was worth it.  I've been determining slope in my brain for years... i just need the distance.  plus I can also be legit with handicaps with this, which is a plus.  Living in florida, an ant hill is a mountain so i'm sure i'll never notice.

#12 danattherock

danattherock

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:00 AM

I think you will be very impressed. Till I got mine, I was totally against the lasers. No longer.

This Leupold radiates quality.

Simple. Works. Weatherproof. Fits in cup holder of cart. What more could one want.

-Dan

#13 skaarsgard

skaarsgard

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

so, i traded my G4x in for the G3xi for the following reasons:

G4x - while it had the slope addition (covers altitude, weather and allows you to set club distances) it wasn't the best.   see, i am one of those who's hands aren't as steady as i'd like them to be and didn't find the range finder terribly easier to use as it was unstable.  the yardages were accurate (when i was able to ping them) but the unit was picky. also, the slope portion was unnecessary - it would only tell you to use 9i, 7i, 5i and 3i - that's it.   so, once it acquired a target, and it suggested a 7i (mine set at 165 yards) 175 yard marks would make have to figure out which club to use - certainly not the 5i it was suggesting.   the unit is nice in that it allows you to remove the slope clip on and play it as a regular range finder but i couldn't remove the piece - it felt like i was gonna break it.

G3xi - much better - gives you the distances, fast and let's you pick the club.   it seemed accurate next to my pal's GPS - within 5 yards closer.  again, my hands aren't as steady as i'd prefer and the 3gxi version was much faster in target acquisition.   i could focus on the flag and not shake to the front/ back of the green changing distances too quickly.   also, the scan mode is pretty solid when looking for options.   hold the button and scan left-to-right and choose the best approach.

for the same money, i like the better performing unit despite having less cumbersome options.

#14 timbo08

timbo08

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105122
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

View Postskaarsgard, on 25 March 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

so, i traded my G4x in for the G3xi for the following reasons:

G4x - while it had the slope addition (covers altitude, weather and allows you to set club distances) it wasn't the best.   see, i am one of those who's hands aren't as steady as i'd like them to be and didn't find the range finder terribly easier to use as it was unstable.  the yardages were accurate (when i was able to ping them) but the unit was picky. also, the slope portion was unnecessary - it would only tell you to use 9i, 7i, 5i and 3i - that's it.   so, once it acquired a target, and it suggested a 7i (mine set at 165 yards) 175 yard marks would make have to figure out which club to use - certainly not the 5i it was suggesting.   the unit is nice in that it allows you to remove the slope clip on and play it as a regular range finder but i couldn't remove the piece - it felt like i was gonna break it.

G3xi - much better - gives you the distances, fast and let's you pick the club.   it seemed accurate next to my pal's GPS - within 5 yards closer.  again, my hands aren't as steady as i'd prefer and the 3gxi version was much faster in target acquisition.   i could focus on the flag and not shake to the front/ back of the green changing distances too quickly.   also, the scan mode is pretty solid when looking for options.   hold the button and scan left-to-right and choose the best approach.

for the same money, i like the better performing unit despite having less cumbersome options.

Wait, so just to make sure I am understanding with the slope edition, there isn't a way to get the yardage adjusted for slope, it just recommends you a club, based on distances you have pre-entered?

#15 skaarsgard

skaarsgard

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

View Posttimbo08, on 25 March 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

Wait, so just to make sure I am understanding with the slope edition, there isn't a way to get the yardage adjusted for slope, it just recommends you a club, based on distances you have pre-entered?

not exactly.  i found a picture online that will describe it better.   there are two readings:  one for actual distance and the other with automatic adjustments for weather, altitude, degree of slope.   in the picture it suggests that there is a 30* slope downwards and the ball is most likely play 20 yards further so, club down and play 163 instead of 183.   we don't see the club recommendations on this screen and frankly i don't recall where it was specifically on the display but i do remember it pissing me off suggesting a 7i on a hole i ALWAYS swing a weak 8i / regular 9i due to pin placement.   since it was unable to suggest an 8i i assume it didn't want me to come up short with the 9i and listed 7i instead.  this was due to the initial set-up where you list your averages for only a few clubs 9i, 7i, 5i. if you go with the GX-4 or GX-4i device, i'd recommend skipping the club set-up process altogether.  

if you do get any of the Luepold's, try and get the DNA version with the "i" at the end.  it's a better experience due to stability.

Posted Image

Edited by skaarsgard, 26 March 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#16 GolfRich3

GolfRich3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121637
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

There's a good review of both the GX-3 regular and "i" versions on mygolfspydotcom (link scrubbed by filter ).
It's under the review tab, then rangefinders. Main difference is speed and 1/10 yardage scans.
I returned the 4i due to the slope being "illegal" for tourneys and posting, and my 3i is due in today.

#17 timbo08

timbo08

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105122
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postskaarsgard, on 26 March 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

not exactly.  i found a picture online that will describe it better.   there are two readings:  one for actual distance and the other with automatic adjustments for weather, altitude, degree of slope.   in the picture it suggests that there is a 30* slope downwards and the ball is most likely play 20 yards further so, club down and play 163 instead of 183.   we don't see the club recommendations on this screen and frankly i don't recall where it was specifically on the display but i do remember it pissing me off suggesting a 7i on a hole i ALWAYS swing a weak 8i / regular 9i due to pin placement.   since it was unable to suggest an 8i i assume it didn't want me to come up short with the 9i and listed 7i instead.  this was due to the initial set-up where you list your averages for only a few clubs 9i, 7i, 5i. if you go with the GX-4 or GX-4i device, i'd recommend skipping the club set-up process altogether.  

if you do get any of the Luepold's, try and get the DNA version with the "i" at the end.  it's a better experience due to stability.

Posted Image

Thanks for the clarification!  Definitely going to get the newer i model, just debating between the 3 and the 4 now.

#18 golfpros1

golfpros1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,449 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

unless you play on a lot of hilly courses, i'd say go with the 3i.  Think about how long you've been figuring out slope yourself... you know when it's an extra club or less, so it's worth having something you can at least use for a legit handicap

#19 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Handicap:8.6
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

I found the slope readings off compared to a Bushnell also reading slope.  I found the club selection stupid - wind alone is far more important than slope, not to mention the ridiculous suggestion that you should input temperature and height above sea level.  They just tried too hard with the GX4.  I also find the Callaway models to give faster readings, with larger numbers, and better scan feature.  The size and heft are great.  Durability great.  Still think the Callaway models are better.
Bertha V 10.5* Reg
Bertha V 3 wood Reg
Jetspeed 17*, 19*, 25* Reg
Cobra Amp Cell 6-LW Kuro Kage Reg
Bridgestone E6 or Titleist Velocity
Odyssey White Hot

#20 dlnljl22

dlnljl22

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90745
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

View PostDrSchteeve, on 26 March 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

I found the slope readings off compared to a Bushnell also reading slope.  I found the club selection stupid - wind alone is far more important than slope, not to mention the ridiculous suggestion that you should input temperature and height above sea level.  They just tried too hard with the GX4.  I also find the Callaway models to give faster readings, with larger numbers, and better scan feature.  The size and heft are great.  Durability great.  Still think the Callaway models are better.

I agree that the suggestion of what iron to hit is a waste of time.  But it only suggests the iron based on the users input into it what yardages you hit your irons under certian conditons.
The build quality of the Leupold is much better than the Bushnell.  The slope yardage is accurate if you input the correct temperature and altitude before you use it.  The bushnell slope is based on standard temperature and sea level.
Altitude and temperature (air density) has a huge impact on how far the ball goes, and the Leupold takes that into consideration.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 buteman

buteman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153613
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

View Postdanattherock, on 23 March 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

Never used a Bushnell.

An avid shooter, I do know that Leupold walks circles around Bushnell in rifle scopes and other optics.

I would not have bought a range finder had it not been for me seeing that Leupold is making them.

That is what made me take the plunge. Leupold quality is legendary.

From what I am seeing, their range finders are in keeping with that reputation.

Small size, aluminum weatherproof body, great optics, red LED display, instantaneous target acquisition, etc...

Not sure how Bushnell (or anyone else) could top it.

-Dan
You hit the nail right on the head, I think the key word here is optics, I used Leupold scopes on my rifles for many years and now I have just purchased my first rangefinder also a Leupold. Bushnell makes a fine product but Leupold have a much higher quality optic in their products.

#22 golfvue3

golfvue3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109539

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

View Postskaarsgard, on 26 March 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

Posted Image

You only input your hitting distance on a few clubs - but the GX4 will suggest any club  (ex.   7,  8,  9) based on interpolation of the data you input.       The club suggestion comes up on the "next" screen when your done seeing the distances displayed above.    Not sure why people are thinking it only suggests a few clubs.  I think they're confusing the input on only a few clubs.

#23 Challenger

Challenger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139433
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

If the USGA banned the slope than it must help.  I love how the USGA tries to make the game more difficult.  Last I checked you still have to hit the shot.  Amateur golfers don't have caddies giving them exact distance like the pros.  Once again, the USGA makes the wrong decision.

#24 therealone

therealone

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178254

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

The 3xi is awesome

#25 Body_Visions

Body_Visions

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25501
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

I can't hold the smaller Leupold steady to save me.  I have zero problems with the larger Bushnell.  I wish I could use the Leupold, but it just takes too much time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors